ADR gluten free Qs

Sarahbelle341

Mouseketeer
These are the restaurant choices we are considering for our upcoming trip. Can you tell me which of these is the worst for gluten free choices? Has anyone done gluten free on the dining plan? Were you offered a gluten free dessert everywhere?

Whispering Canyon
Tusker House lunch
Crystal Palace
1900 Park Fare dinner
ohana breakfast
cape may breakfast
garden grill
Sc-Fi
Sunshine Seasons
Hollywood & Vine
Old Port Royale Food Court
Shutters
Cosmic Rays

I don't see any restaurants on your list that can't handle gluten-free. WDW is the best place to eat with special dietary needs. Disney is trialing allergen-free menus at several locations including Sci-fi and Cosmic Rays. Make sure you note on your ADRs that someone has a dietary need and remind the hostess when you check in for table service. A chef will come out to speak to you if there isn't a GF menu. At counter service, you tell the cashier who will call for a manager. The manage will have an ingredients binder and will make your food separate; it will come out on a different colored tray.

GF deserts and snacks are easy enough to find. It'll usually be some type of ice cream, OMG brownies, and/or Enjoy Life cookies. The popcorn available throughout the parks is GF as are the Mickey Premium Ice Cream Bars (not the sandwiches unfortunately).

For breakfasts, the resort restaurants carry Namaste and/or Bob's Red Mill GF waffle mix. Inside the parks, you're more likely to find Van's waffles instead as the kitchens are more limited. There's also Erin McKenna Babycakes bakery onsite and their donuts & cupcakes can be found in most resorts.

You might want to check out Allergy Free Mouse for GF reviews.

Although i am not gluten-free, I am allergic to milk and am therefore dairy-free. Many of the dessert options I had available were not only DF but also GF -- and thre were more options if one was just GF :-)

I really liked the HUGE OMG chocolate chip cookies (the brownies, unfortunately, have dairy, so I could not try those, though they looked yummy). They come packaged, so if I didn't feel like dessert right at the time I could take them with me easily and have a snack later. Just about every QS restaurant we went to had them as a dessert (or snack) option.

I am Gluten free. Disney is WONDERFUL with it. Everywhere I went I ate very well. I can eat ice cream, so that was always an option. We always do the dining plan. The other options are cookies at most places. Boma's was great. They gave me my own plate of desserts. The manager and/or chef comes out at most places and talks to you. At buffets they will take you up and tell you what you can eat. I got some really great desserts from Babycakes at the bakery on the boardwalk. They also had them at the Beach club market. I don't think you will have any problems. Disney really does it well.

Enjoy The Magic!!

These are the restaurant choices we are considering for our upcoming trip. Can you tell me which of these is the worst for gluten free choices? Has anyone done gluten free on the dining plan? Were you offered a gluten free dessert everywhere?

Whispering Canyon
Tusker House lunch
Crystal Palace
1900 Park Fare dinner
ohana breakfast
cape may breakfast
garden grill
Sc-Fi
Sunshine Seasons
Hollywood & Vine
Old Port Royale Food Court
Shutters
Cosmic Rays

I'm not gluten free but DH is, so I'll add a few points. One of the stations at Sunshine Seasons (the chicken/potatoes/rice one) is completely gluten free, so it's a good choice if you're worried about cross-contamination. Some table service are better than others as far as desserts are concerned (one time at Garden Grill they emptied one of their pre-packaged melon and grape fruit salads into a salad bowl for his "fresh fruit" dessert), but if you ask the chef nicely they can usually come up with something appealing (brownie sundae, sorbet, ice cream with berries). Mickey Ice Cream Bars are gluten-free, so they are a good choice for quick-serve meal dessert if the restaurant offers them (you don't need to get the bar with your meal and let it melt; ask the cashier and they will stamp your receipt, allowing you to return within 90 minutes to pick up the ice cream). IMPORTANT - Always ask to see a chef or manager, as things can change between visits.

Don't see them on your list, but 50's Prime Time has crustless gluten-free cheesecake, and Mama Melrose's has a fantastic flourless chocolate "cake".

OK he can't have chocolate or gluten and it sounds like a lot of the gluten free desserts are chocolate. Are there any popsicles or sorbet offered most places? Any great peanut butter desserts since he loves peanut butter. We have been to Disney several times and have eaten at a lot of restaurants so the ADRs are mostly for him I want him to have a awesome Disney dining experience and make him a Disney fan for life. Are there certain places that cater to allergies better than others? I'm reading a lot of good reviews for Sanaa.

OK he can't have chocolate or gluten and it sounds like a lot of the gluten free desserts are chocolate. Are there any popsicles or sorbet offered most places? Any great peanut butter desserts since he loves peanut butter. We have been to Disney several times and have eaten at a lot of restaurants so the ADRs are mostly for him I want him to have a awesome Disney dining experience and make him a Disney fan for life. Are there certain places that cater to allergies better than others? I'm reading a lot of good reviews for Sanaa.

Vanilla ice cream and sorbet are common in TS. You might be able to find non-chocolate Enjoy Life cookies; I know I've gotten honey gram at Ohana's before. Disney doesn't have a lot of peanut butter GF products as they are trying to combine as many allergies into 1 product as possible and peanuts are a high risk allergen. Does he have any other food restrictions besides gluten and chocolate?

Tusker House lunch - Great Buffet options, had so much I couldn't remember them all. Got a variety of cookies for dessert.
1900 Park Fare dinner- Have not been for dinner but did breakfast twice. They had GF muffins and even donuts, plus made some of my food separate from the buffet to make sure it was safe.
ohana breakfast- Have not been here but Kona Cafe has made me GF Mickey waffles and they come from Ohana next door, so I think the options there are good.
garden grill- This was just ok for me. The food was very basic, I don't remember dessert honestly so probably the packaged stuff.
Sunshine Seasons- One of my favorites. Have had chicken with sides and salmon there. As other said there is one station that has food similar to garden grille and its mostly GF.
Hollywood & Vine- Went here for lunch, great variety at buffet. I even ate some basic items from the kids buffet. They had a great dessert, but it was chocolate mousse, I think they had some frozen items.
Old Port Royale Food Court- I stayed at CBR twice so ate here breakfast a few times and lunch. For lunch they can do the usual, burgers, sandwiches on GF bread, fries, and frozen pizzas. Dessert was typically the packaged brownies or cookies. The second year though they kept giving me FROZEN brownies. I had to wait for dessert to defrost which I thought was really rude and unhelpful. Lunch was ok, but was more convenient than QS at many parks. Being GF I had one or two bad experiences at QS in the park so we did lunch here just for it to be more relaxing. They always have a chef on hand to make your GF food.

At Yak & Yeti restaurant in AK I had the best sorbet trio for my dessert option.

Thank you so much for all your help. Sagginit can you share where you had a less than stellar QS in the parks? My brother has celiac and a contaminated meal can likely cause him and me since he can't be alone to miss the park the rest of the day so I am trying to be extra cautious. He lives in a rural area and very rarely eats out at home at all.

Vanilla ice cream and sorbet are common in TS. You might be able to find non-chocolate Enjoy Life cookies; I know I've gotten honey gram at Ohana's before. Disney doesn't have a lot of peanut butter GF products as they are trying to combine as many allergies into 1 product as possible and peanuts are a high risk allergen. Does he have any other food restrictions besides gluten and chocolate?

He doesn't have any true restrictions besides chocolate and gluten but we try to help him avoid red dye 40 for behavioral reasons.

Dessert options I find are not great and if chocolate is out that really limits things. I have been offered sorbet, fresh fruit and organic gummy bears(dye free) a few times.
I have eaten at Whispering Canyon for dinner, but it was a few years ago. The food was good, 1 time they had corn bread the next time they didn't
I have eaten at Tusker House many times, but only for breakfast. It has always been great
Park Fare was great the chef made me a special dessert but it had chocolate
Ohana breakfast The chef brought me out a different platter because it is serve family style. The have GF waffles too. I have eaten here several times.
Garden grill I had plenty to eat, but overall my whole family wasn't impressed the 1 time we ate there
Cape May have eaten breakfast here it was fine nothing bad to say, nothing stands out
Sci- Fi have eaten lunch here a couple times
Hollywood and vine for breakfast many times it is a must do for my daughter. basic breakfast food. they have muffins and waffles they can bring. The chef even placed a few pins on my plate to dress it up once.
Old Port Royale I have eaten at many many times always has been great. Chefs are great!
Crystal Palace have eaten dinner many times food was great dessert was a flourless chocolate cake (will not work for you) they have ice cream too.
I have taken 5 trips since I found out I had to eat GF. I have never had any issue at all. We have done the dining plan at least 4 times (we usually go during free dining). They always have a gf dessert choice, but like I said before I find it limited and most contain chocolate(pre-packages brownies and cookies which I don't like). Fresh fruit was an option often which I like anyway.

Thank you so much for all your help. Sagginit can you share where you had a less than stellar QS in the parks? My brother has celiac and a contaminated meal can likely cause him and me since he can't be alone to miss the park the rest of the day so I am trying to be extra cautious. He lives in a rural area and very rarely eats out at home at all.
We don't do many QS, but the ones we have been to have been great. The manager comes out to take you order and than prepares it him/herself. It can take 20 minutes to get your food, even at non-busy times. The allergy chicken tenders are very good and you can get them at several locations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter