Adopting vs. Buying a Puppy - UPDATE 1/15/13

Check the Great Dog Rescue New England site as there are 3 dogs like that listed there today, Thursday :)

Jill

I agree with pp that said dogs are given up for many reasons. I just adopted the sweetest, best dog ever and i am his 3rd owner. :sad2:

This dog was adopted as a puppy by an older woman who already had a dog. Woman had a heart attack and was in poor condition and was told by dr. she could not take care of a young puppy. She relinquished the pup to a rescue run by her current vet.
The rescue rehomed him to a family with school age kids. The kids did great taking care of dog until school started up again. Poor dog was left in crate for 10-12 hrs. a day. kids would not let him out when they came home from school. Their mother thought this was unfair to the dog so she returned him to the rescue.
My friend uses this vet too and often fosters dogs for them, while helping to find them homes. I saw a picture of this cutie, and when I heard how good he was I offered to foster him myself because her lively dog was running foster dog ragged. Well, we knew he was a keeper right away. :love: He just fit right in with my family, and that's saying a lot.
It was an ideal situation because we were able to foster him for a while before committing. I also agree it's good for animals to be in a foster home so that they can evaluate them for compatibility and potential problems.
New "puppy" is the #1 item on kids Christmas list.:santa:

Op, I wish you the best in your search for a new dog. I can see how it would be very frustrating. I don't have a fenced in yard but it's not a problem for us. More walks for us! Hopefully patience will pay off for you.

Wanted to share that patience did pay off for us and we found our little guy!! We are rescuing an 18 month old Shih Tzu from a rescue group in TN! He is the cutest little thing and we couldn't be more thrilled. Have to admit we had quite a bit of "let downs" along the way but in the end, I believe he was the one meant for us. I'll try to post a pic this weekend (If I can figure that out...lol). Thank you all for the words of encouragement...we are beyond excited!

Wanted to share that patience did pay off for us and we found our little guy!! We are rescuing an 18 month old Shih Tzu from a rescue group in TN! He is the cutest little thing and we couldn't be more thrilled. Have to admit we had quite a bit of "let downs" along the way but in the end, I believe he was the one meant for us. I'll try to post a pic this weekend (If I can figure that out...lol). Thank you all for the words of encouragement...we are beyond excited!

As a rescue foster, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Congratulations! I hope he is the perfect fit for your family! :)

Congratulations! I hope he is the perfect fit for your family! :)

I was a little nervous that we wouldn't get the chance to meet him before we adopted but I've had several conversations with his foster mommy and he seems like he's going to fit right in! :)

I was a little nervous that we wouldn't get the chance to meet him before we adopted but I've had several conversations with his foster mommy and he seems like he's going to fit right in! :)

While our rescue doesn't operate this way (we actually transport puppies to a couple of shelters in the NE, and people adopt there after meeting them - actually have to bring their dogs as well if they have any already), I do know of several rescues that do this regularly, and all that I have heard about seem to do very well.

Congratulations on finding what you were looking for!

We recently adopted from our local SPCA. We chose the dog from Petfinder. There was a LOT of paperwork, DH was irritated about the process and how they could make it easier "since they practically BEG people to adopt."

I didn't think the process was unduly arduous. They are just trying to make sure the dog gets a forever home.

Abby was in foster at the time. We met her at the SPCA. They were running a Foster Adoption Special, we chose our own price! She did have some potty issues initially. but we straightened it out.

Here is Abby, the Christmas Dog, she's an awesome love bug. A 55 LB lap dog!

18999629650021646_L2Cc5Hu4_c.jpg

Congratulations! Which rescue did you end up going with? A local fb friend just got her Southern puppy on Monday and so far things are going well.

Don't forget to post pictures! :)

Jill

Congratulations! Which rescue did you end up going with? A local fb friend just got her Southern puppy on Monday and so far things are going well.

Don't forget to post pictures! :)

Jill

We ended up going with Shih Tzu and Precious Paws Rescue, the woman was a doll! I will definitely post pics as soon as he gets settled.

So we picked up our little guy on Sunday (the transport co. was a day behind). He's just the cutest (if I do say so myself) and is doing amazingly well so far! He seemed to settle in right from the get go and we just love him to death..

Here's a picture of our little "Kobe":

KOBE_zps7c88e741.jpg

So we picked up our little guy on Sunday (the transport co. was a day behind). He's just the cutest (if I do say so myself) and is doing amazingly well so far! He seemed to settle in right from the get go and we just love him to death..

KOBE_zps7c88e741.jpg

Cute, cute, cute!!!

KOBE_zps7c88e741.jpg

What a cutie cute, congrats!! And thanks for rescuing :lovestruc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter