Adopting vs. Buying a Puppy - UPDATE 1/15/13

He's adorable! There are so many wonderful dogs waited to be adopted in the South. In the Northeast we get a lot of pits and other mixes that families tend to be leary of. However, our transfer dogs usually are scooped right up.

Those concerned about safety when adopting should ask if a shelter uses temperment testing. The method we use specifically puts a dog in situations where aggression tends to come out. This is far more telling than breeding or past history. Adorable puppies brought up in wonderful homes can become viscous, and dogs can get picked up off the street and become wonderful family dogs.

So cute! Congratulations! :yay:

Reading some of the puppy threads here has made me start thinking about getting another dog. :rolleyes1

I got a puppy almost 2 years ago from a local shelter where she would've been euthanized had she not been adopted. My husband tells her all the time how lucky she is. :rotfl2:

It was SO much work and frustration getting her house trained, but I couldn't imagine life without her now. My husband says getting another dog would devastate her because she's so in love with me! She literally sits right behind my butt ALL THE TIME and sleeps at my head or my legs and follows me wherever I go. I think she probably would have a hard time with it at first, but like all other families, she would adjust.

I can't believe I ever considered BUYING a dog when there are so many that need to be rescued. I would never consider buying a dog again. This time, IF I do get another fur baby, I'm going to get an older one that's already trained which will not only help my sanity, but also save a dog who isn't likely to be rescued since it's not a puppy.

awww.I just started reading this today,so glad OP went with a rescue dog-he's cute! we get all our pets from shelters,our last dog is an adorable shi-tzu-toy poodle mix....$5 at the local pound!

He's adorable! There are so many wonderful dogs waited to be adopted in the South. In the Northeast we get a lot of pits and other mixes that families tend to be leary of. However, our transfer dogs usually are scooped right up.

Those concerned about safety when adopting should ask if a shelter uses temperment testing. The method we use specifically puts a dog in situations where aggression tends to come out. This is far more telling than breeding or past history. Adorable puppies brought up in wonderful homes can become viscous, and dogs can get picked up off the street and become wonderful family dogs.

:thumbsup2 You are so right!

mommyrosa2 said:
So we picked up our little guy on Sunday (the transport co. was a day behind). He's just the cutest (if I do say so myself) and is doing amazingly well so far! He seemed to settle in right from the get go and we just love him to death..

Here's a picture of our little "Kobe":

Oh. My. GOODNESS he is adorable! You did exactly what I want to do, with the same breed of dog. I really really want to rescue a Shih Tzu, but in my area, there are not very many options. They are the best little dogs :)

OP your rescue doggie is adorable :)

One thing i would encourage folks who are looking to 'rescue' and older purebreed dog to do is check with breeders in your area. A truely responsible breeder will have a clause in the puppy sales contract that specifies that the purchaser will return the dog to them if they are unable to keep them for any reason, and often, in the case of unaltered dogs the breeder will retain co-ownship until they are provided proof of spay or neuter. This ensures that they continue to know about the well being of dogs they have bred. My point is that a breeder in your area may have an older dog needing a forever home that has been returned to them. The process of adopting these dogs can be easier than adopting a dog thru a rescue group but you can expect to be as throughly vetted. However you will get more support in helping the dog adjust to its new life.
These practices are common amoung responisble breeders so it might just be an easier way to find an dog needing a good home.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words! I was just saying last night to my DH and girls that I'm so glad that I didn't bend about not buying a puppy. I had to learn to be patient with the process (which often was frustrating when so many rescue groups wouldn't even respond back) BUT, in the end, it all worked out and I truly believe that Kobe was the one that was meant for our family! He really is a sweet little boy and has adjusted so quickly that we are amazed! I know a pp commented on checking out some breeders for older doggies and this is true. We ended up finding a local (reputable) Shih Tzu breeder in our area who did happen to have a couple of females that she was retiring but we really wanted a male so we decided to keep looking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter