Actual experience airtran through southwest

Yep you cannot purchase ebci. You do not pick your seat on the airtran flight. Airtran will randomly assign seats to your family. You can attempt to change them at the airport it they are scattered but there are no guarantees your family will be seated together

The bolded part is what bothers me. It seems like SWA and AT could work together and offer SWA customers the same ability to pick and pay for their seats when part of their itinerary includes an AT flight.

As I said earlier, I always pay for my seats on AT because I want my family to sit together. I was never asked to move to accomodate another family with children, but in the past, I would not have moved. They had the same option as I did to pay for their seats so they could sit together and they chose not to do so. I will not surrender a seat that I paid extra for so that someone else can avoid the same fee. But now, under this new arrangement, that person may not have had the option which would make me more likely to move. I just don't like the whole scenario...even if it is just DH and I, we'd like to sit together and the fact that we have no say in the situation if part of our itinerary is on an AT flight just rubs me the wrong way.

Add to that the fact that since our itinerary could include two different airlines, we will have to check in twice. Unfortunately, the layover is on our flight home so we will have to remember to check in at WDW. Thank goodness for apps! I'll just have to hope I have adequate service and signal when it is time to check in.

The bolded part is what bothers me. It seems like SWA and AT could work together and offer SWA customers the same ability to pick and pay for their seats when part of their itinerary includes an AT flight.

As I said earlier, I always pay for my seats on AT because I want my family to sit together. I was never asked to move to accomodate another family with children, but in the past, I would not have moved. They had the same option as I did to pay for their seats so they could sit together and they chose not to do so. I will not surrender a seat that I paid extra for so that someone else can avoid the same fee. But now, under this new arrangement, that person may not have had the option which would make me more likely to move. I just don't like the whole scenario...even if it is just DH and I, we'd like to sit together and the fact that we have no say in the situation if part of our itinerary is on an AT flight just rubs me the wrong way.

Add to that the fact that since our itinerary could include two different airlines, we will have to check in twice. Unfortunately, the layover is on our flight home so we will have to remember to check in at WDW. Thank goodness for apps! I'll just have to hope I have adequate service and signal when it is time to check in.

I don't think that is correct. AFAIK you check in once with whichever airline you booked it through.

I cannot figure out how I am supposed to check in for flights, and when, for our trip purchased on southwest.com. Departure is PWM-BWI-DAY, with first leg on WN and the second on AT. I planned on checking in online through SW at the 24 hour mark. Will this automatically check us into the AT leg (and get us seat assignments), or do I have to log onto airtran.com to get seat assignments and boarding passes?

The return is trickier, as the place where we are staying has no internet access. Our return flight is DAY-BWI-PWM, and without thinking I automatically purchased EBCI because of not having internet at my sister-in-law's home. Once again, the DAY-BWI leg is operated by AT, BWI-PWM by Southwest. Since I purchased EBCI, will WN check me in for both legs, or just the BWI-PWM leg? Do I need to go online to check in for the DAY-BWI leg, and which airline's website should I do this through?

Finally... coming back, the first leg is operated by AT but purchased through southwest.com. At the Dayton airport, which airline do I physically check in with, and check our suitcases with? I have tried emailing WN with my questions but have received no response, and was on hold with them for 45 minutes the other day when I had to hang up to leave for work. This whole situation is a little crazy... they have computers, so why is it so challenging to swap stuff to ONE system?

I cannot figure out how I am supposed to check in for flights, and when, for our trip purchased on southwest.com. Departure is PWM-BWI-DAY, with first leg on WN and the second on AT. I planned on checking in online through SW at the 24 hour mark. Will this automatically check us into the AT leg (and get us seat assignments), or do I have to log onto airtran.com to get seat assignments and boarding passes?

The return is trickier, as the place where we are staying has no internet access. Our return flight is DAY-BWI-PWM, and without thinking I automatically purchased EBCI because of not having internet at my sister-in-law's home. Once again, the DAY-BWI leg is operated by AT, BWI-PWM by Southwest. Since I purchased EBCI, will WN check me in for both legs, or just the BWI-PWM leg? Do I need to go online to check in for the DAY-BWI leg, and which airline's website should I do this through?

Finally... coming back, the first leg is operated by AT but purchased through southwest.com. At the Dayton airport, which airline do I physically check in with, and check our suitcases with? I have tried emailing WN with my questions but have received no response, and was on hold with them for 45 minutes the other day when I had to hang up to leave for work. This whole situation is a little crazy... they have computers, so why is it so challenging to swap stuff to ONE system?

If you book through SWA you check in on SWA's website at 24 hours just like if it were a SWA flight. If you book through Airtran you would check in online on AirTran site at the 24 hour mark.

How far in advance did you book your flight?

A person I work with-- booked AT through Southwest in February for flights this past week.
I checked the status of the flight a few days before they were scehduled to go- the flight was fully booked.
When I checked them in at exactly the 24 hour mark there was seat assignments. they had boarding passes next to each other. When they arrived at the gate they were bumped off that flight and put on another flight. No compensation- no say in the matter. They arrived home 3 hours later then what they were supposed to.

--
this worries me. We have a family of 16 members. We are booking flights as soon as they come available. I am thinking the longer you wait the more your chances of being bumped happens, The AT flight is really a lot cheaper then a SW flight-- but it the grand scheme of things-- what will we be saving in the long run

I booked my original flight in February and they called me in March to cancel me from that flight and move me to a later flight. On April 5 I saw my original flight offered again, so I called to rebook (wouldn't let me do it on the computer). My flight was April 20th. I did the check in at exactly the 24 hr mark and was at the gate nice and early (1.5 hrs). My boarding pass never showed a seat number, so I guess that should have been foreboding.

In my case, there was a high school class that had the whole plane booked since January according to the gate attendant, so it may not be a typical situation. I was especially annoyed that they put the seats back on the market and allowed me to book it again only to be denied a second time when it sounds like the plane was full all along.

Not sure if anyone is interested, but I just checked in with Southwest for our AirTran flight for 5 people. Our boarding passes have us in 11D & 11F, and 12D, 12E, and 12F. That's from PIT to TPA.

I'll update tomorrow to let you know how boarding went for everyone.

Not sure if anyone is interested, but I just checked in with Southwest for our AirTran flight for 5 people. Our boarding passes have us in 11D & 11F, and 12D, 12E, and 12F. That's from PIT to TPA.

how long ago did you book your flight?

sounds like people who book their flights early are getting the good choices. (tomorrow is Saturday so thats a weekend==

ill wait til tomorrow when you get home to see how it went. No unpacking til you let us know please--- LOL

Hi,

From reading this I understand that when I check in 24 horus prior for our SW flight that I will automatically be checked in and assigned seats for our AirTran flight continuing into MCO.

What I'm not sure about is when they say you can ask to change seat assignments at the airport are they referring to the first airport or the second airport?

TIA!

Stephanie

Hi,

From reading this I understand that when I check in 24 horus prior for our SW flight that I will automatically be checked in and assigned seats for our AirTran flight continuing into MCO.

What I'm not sure about is when they say you can ask to change seat assignments at the airport are they referring to the first airport or the second airport?

TIA!

Stephanie

The entire connecting airports part is what puzzles me. We are flying round-trip PWM-BWI-DAY, with reservations made with RR points via Southwest.. PWM/BWI legs are operated by WN, BWI/DAY operated by AT. I will go online to WN at 24 hrs. and get boarding passes for the first leg, and it's my understanding that I will also automatically be given seat assignments for the AT operated leg at this point. HOWEVER, when we return, I purchased EBCI. Does this mean that WN will check us in at 36 hours for the BWI/PWM leg, and I then have to go online at 24 hours to get the assignments for the DAY/BWI leg?

Also... anyone know which airline we should check in with at the airport? Reservations were made/purchased through WN. I'd get the answers straight from SOuthwest but so far, every time I've called I've been on hold, and have disconnected after 30+ minutes of being on hold... I know, patience, but sometimes life intervenes!

The entire connecting airports part is what puzzles me. We are flying round-trip PWM-BWI-DAY, with reservations made with RR points via Southwest.. PWM/BWI legs are operated by WN, BWI/DAY operated by AT. I will go online to WN at 24 hrs. and get boarding passes for the first leg, and it's my understanding that I will also automatically be given seat assignments for the AT operated leg at this point. HOWEVER, when we return, I purchased EBCI. Does this mean that WN will check us in at 36 hours for the BWI/PWM leg, and I then have to go online at 24 hours to get the assignments for the DAY/BWI leg?

Also... anyone know which airline we should check in with at the airport? Reservations were made/purchased through WN. I'd get the answers straight from SOuthwest but so far, every time I've called I've been on hold, and have disconnected after 30+ minutes of being on hold... I know, patience, but sometimes life intervenes!

I don't know about all airports, but at PIT SW and AirTran are now at one counter. Their kiosks accomodate both airlines. You typically check-in with the airline operating your first flight.

thanks for posting:) good assigned seats too

So, when I go to the AT site and look at the seat availability for our flight, is it usually accurate? There are currently dozens of seats available, but we are still just under two months out. My DD is 14 but she is a nervous flyer and would not do well without me, so I'm concerned.

We are booked through SW on AT.
Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

So, when I go to the AT site and look at the seat availability for our flight, is it usually accurate? There are currently dozens of seats available, but we are still just under two months out. My DD is 14 but she is a nervous flyer and would not do well without me, so I'm concerned.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but when people who purchase their tickets through airtran check in at 24 hour mark they can pick their seats. So if you are using southwest to purchase, others may actually get to pick at the 24 hour mark, but yours will be randomly assigned. So it does not portray how many seats are sold, but rather how many paid to select their seats

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but when people who purchase their tickets through airtran check in at 24 hour mark they can pick their seats. So if you are using southwest to purchase, others may actually get to pick at the 24 hour mark, but yours will be randomly assigned. So it does not portray how many seats are sold, but rather how many paid to select their seats

I see. So the people who have assigned seats already paid to get their seat assignments from the get go. I've been a Southwest loyal so this is all new to me! Thanks.

no, it's a proprietary type thing as to sales, etc.

I've switched flights several times where the seats listed are sparse but the agent I spoke to was always able to book us into same category of seats we had paid/selected on new flight depsite them appearing 'booked'.

well? how did it go?

well? how did it go?

It went great and smooth for us! There was one gentleman traveling with his two kids, he was seated in the middle seat between me and my daughter. We offered to let his kids sit in our seats but he was fine with the arrangement. We're flying AT through Southwest on the way home, so hopefully it'll go as smoothly.

Trying to decide right now if I roll the dice and book 5 of us on the AirTran flight through SW or not. I thought about booking DH and the 12, and 10 yr old DDs that way and then dd6 and I on AirTran ( the price is the same for both sites but we have enough points on SW to pay for the other 3 ) so at least one of us can be with the 6 yr old. The other 2 would be fine on their own just give them an iPod, movie, book, or ds and they won't bother anybody!

It went great and smooth for us! There was one gentleman traveling with his two kids, he was seated in the middle seat between me and my daughter. We offered to let his kids sit in our seats but he was fine with the arrangement. We're flying AT through Southwest on the way home, so hopefully it'll go as smoothly.

my fear with the coming home flight== you need to check in at the 24 hour mark== which will be about 2:30pm for us. I will be in a park at that time How will we check in?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter