Actual experience airtran through southwest

I an a responsible patent who has always flown AirTran to Orlando and paid extra to reserve our seats. This time I thought I would try Southwest, knowing they assign zones. On the SW website I found 2 seats on a direct AT flight. Because of my previous AT experience, I thought I would be able to pay to reserve our seats as I have always done in the past.

It is rude to assume I am an irresponsible parent because I made an assumption based on all my previous experiences with AirTran and missed the fine print indicating I couldn't pay to reserve my seats! I hadn't discovered the DIS posts when I booked our flights in April. It was an honest MISTAKE. And I'm not the only one on this forum who did.

It must feel amazing to be so perfect that you can insult and judge people who make honest mistakes! Where do you get off judging other parents as irresponsible?! Shame on you, hop of that high horse of yours and have some respect for others!

:rolleyes2

I'm still surprised by the number of people who don't bother to read the rules for everything from seat selection to baggage allowances, to cancellation policies, etc., which are always available on an airline's website, before purchasing tickets. This "mistake" has cost a lot of people money and aggravation which easily could have been prevented.

If the merger were complete, there would only be one airline, WN ;)

There are still baggage fees if you book on AirTran.

The merger is not scheduled to be completed until the end of 2014. Be prepared for many hiccups along the way.

Just back, travelled Air Tran through SW no baggage fees

Thanks I only ask because whenever I print out an airtran pass it has a seat assignment. So i guess my next question for future posters is did your boarding pass have a seat assignment?

Yes ours did, I checked in at 24 hour mark

Click happy and don't read...so you didn't read the part where she said she made a mistake? Ironic.

Nope not click happy....I read that.
Just stating she did make a mistake.
I saw where she said she made an error....
Just pointing how she did by not reading along with all those who don't.

I don't find it very respectful of others to act as if they have an obligation to switch seats with you, as you have a young child and they don't.

Were there any parents on here that who really acted like they'd go all nasty (for real) if somebody refused to change seats for them?

Using your own experiences as an example: What if you went to the airport, and you were separated from your child on the flight, and asked someone to move but they refused? Would you be respectful of their choice to keep their seat? Or would you think"Gee, I am a parent here! They can't possibly need that seat as much as I do?" Or would you stop and consider they may have a need of that seat too? Maybe the one they are sitting with is terrified of flying? Maybe they need an aisle seat because they are clausterphobic?
Well, it was the claustrophobic person before who made assumptions about the mom not REALLY needing to be seated near (within a row in that case) her kids. She didn't pay enough attention to her kids who otherwise didn't exhibit any outward signs of problems on the flight. Might they have had their own issues if they had been 20 rows apart? Stopping and considering goes both ways.

I understand mistakes are made. But what bothers me is the attitude of some that being a parent means their needs trump everyone else's. But be aware that other people may have a need of the seat they are in too. And they don't owe anyone an explanation of why they say "No" if they do when they are asked to trade seats.

I've seen some jokes. I've seen a lot of parents come to this thread to find out more and get a better sense of what they can expect. There have been plenty of reports of fellow SW passengers being friendly and accommodating and no reports of absolutely horrible (final) seating arrangements.

And then I've seen the posts that pre-judge parents, assuming that in real life they'll be rude when they ask (with a light joke?) and nasty if they are refused. I've seen more anticipatory hostility to being asked (at all) on this board than any sense of entitlement on the part of parents.

It's one thing to point out to the folks that are used to Southwest that some AirTran customers have paid extra for seat assignments on top of the baggage fees in order guarantee their particular seat so, if one asks someone to switch seats, it should be done as nicely as possible and without expectation.

It's another to lecture them that they should read all the fine print, call to clarify what "seats will be assigned when you check in 24 hours in advance" means, give up using hard-earned Rapid Rewards points, pay baggage fees and seat assignment fees with AirTran instead of expecting their preferred carrier to offer the service it typically provides, and gripe about how (some) parents have such a ridiculous sense of entitlement. Even of one is absolutely correct about all those things, is that very *nice*? What is this? FlyerTalk?

And that fine print? It doesn't say "You will be assigned seats in as ridiculous an arrangement as possible even though it would be completely feasible provide a better customer experience."

It's NOT unreasonable for a travelling parties to expect, when their seats are assigned at the 24 hour point, that they won't be interleaved with other parties who are all assigned at the same time. There's no good reason for the combined Southwest/AirTran system to do this other than their transitional system integration is poorly done. This seems to be a problem especially with flights booked with points because of the separate confirmation numbers. I had my confirmations linked by Southwest - apparently something in the system supports "linking" but the seat assignment algorithm either does not have access to this information or is coded poorly and ignores it.

AGAIN, this is a temporary issue that Southwest isn't able to deliver the same quality of experience that they've spent decades advertising and delivering. If you've talked to gate agents, particularly the SW employees working the AirTran flights, you'd know that some of them are as confused about how things realistically work at the gate as many of the folks here - who are arguably better informed than a lot of the SW travelling public. And if they're here asking questions, they're becoming more informed.

And, yes, I know that it's tremendously ironic that I am outraged by the new cultural norm of judgy outrage. I'm working on that.

I think the mods need to create a sticky or 2 about flying Southwest, and the SW/AirTran merge and then shut down any threads about parents sitting with kids. Every thread about it ends up the same way.

I think the mods need to create a sticky or 2 about flying Southwest, and the SW/AirTran merge and then shut down any threads about parents sitting with kids. Every thread about it ends up the same way.

Why people just ignore the stickies anyway. Case in point, magic express for luggage only. Just about every week someone asks about that. Besides the more stickies you have the less important each one becomes.

There are still some posters who truly don't know how Southwest's seating policy works. Or that no airline 100% guarantees you will keep your original seat assignments. Those topics should be left open for discussion. And the Mods will continue to moderate.

I flew back on Airtran last night with tickets purchased through Southwest. Everything went very smoothly. We checked in online via SW at the 24 hour mark. We are a family of four and we were split up 2 and 2 a couple of rows apart but the seats were together. No complaints there.

We were also able to utilize RAC at POFQ in the morning. The bags were checked there. All they did was ask if we purchased our tickets on SW and that was that. They printed out our boarding passes with our seat assignments from the night before too.

Im at akl right now :) here was my AT through SW experience this morning. I checked in at the 24 hr mark (on the dot) none of our seats were together. But we had one isle seat and infront of that a window seat. My mom was all the way across the isle at the other window. There was a very nice couple who were happy to trade :) she actually asked me. So then my son and i were seated together. Then a young college guy sat next to me and i asked if he minded trading with my mom. He was happy to. There were lots of ppl on the plane trading. The lady in front of me gave me a nasty look when i asked the college kid to switch but whatever. It all worked out fine :)

So I don't view myself as a irresponsible parent but after reading a few pages of this post I guess I am :confused3 I booked our flight on the fly we had been watching fares and one day they dropped thru AirTran via booked thru southwest and SW has free bags and we are a family of 6 so I booked them. Now we don't fly very often at all (my husband does but thru a private jet) anyways I had no idea that I couldn't pick my seats and that they assign them at check in. If it was by the "submit" button then they should have made it bigger because I did not see it till after! Sorry for my mistake. Now that being said we are very easy going people and I would move/trade in heartbeat whether it be for a parent a newly wed an older couple whatever it's not that big of deal for me. My kids are (boys) 15,11,7 and daughter is 2 I do hope that even tho I made a "mistake" booking thru SW I can still sit with my daughter since she is 2 otherwise we will have a huge problem! She would freak! And I really hope my husband can sit with my 7 yr old because he tells stories ;) and the whole plane will know everything about us by the time he is done. We do plan on showing up at airport super early so hopefully that will help and if not I do hope we encounter some lovely people who will be willing to help us out. So any suggestions from any parents who have done this before? My 2 yr old has never flown and my 7 yr old hasn't flown since he was 2. Little worried about how to make my 2yr old daughter comfortable. Thanks :worship:

beachgrl:

Did you ask at the check in desk at the gate if they could put you all together? If you didnt know you could have done that. That way you could have avoided asking all those people.

Just wondering because I will be in the same boat in a couple of weeks.

Thanks

I will be flying in October with my 4 and 1 year olds, alone. I booked through SW because we were able to use points for all 3 seats. I actually called SW asking because I also didn't realize you are assigned seats at check in....obviously my children are too small to sit alone, but the customer service woman said to check in and see how we fare...3 separate confirmation numbers due to rewards seats so the chance of us being together is slim! They said to ask at check in, not all seats are pre assigned and they should be able to adjust for us.

beachgrl:

Did you ask at the check in desk at the gate if they could put you all together? If you didnt know you could have done that. That way you could have avoided asking all those people.

Just wondering because I will be in the same boat in a couple of weeks.

Thanks

I did ask at check in. They told me to ask people lol very helpful But i only asked one person. The couple that i switched with first, asked me. They saw me turning around in my seat and talking to my son. They didnt want to sit separately either so the girl asked me. I just asked the college kid if he minded. It was only moving from one isle seat to the one across so no big deal. He still had the isle seat

I will be flying in October with my 4 and 1 year olds, alone. I booked through SW because we were able to use points for all 3 seats. I actually called SW asking because I also didn't realize you are assigned seats at check in....obviously my children are too small to sit alone, but the customer service woman said to check in and see how we fare...3 separate confirmation numbers due to rewards seats so the chance of us being together is slim! They said to ask at check in, not all seats are pre assigned and they should be able to adjust for us.

I'm in a similar situation with 2 little ones, although I will have DH with me too (so doesn't matter if we sit 3+1 or 2+2). Since we booked on points, we have 4 different confirmation numbers. I just called SW to see if there was a way to link the numbers so that the computer will at least know that we are travelling together. She said there wasn't anything she could do. Boo!

On the bright side, a friend of mine just flew Airtran (via SW booking) and although his family was initially split up, so were all of the other SW families on the plane, so everyone just switched around, and they all got to sit with their own families.

We fly next week, so I'll be sure to report back on how it goes!

I did ask at check in. They told me to ask people lol very helpful But i only asked one person. The couple that i switched with first, asked me. They saw me turning around in my seat and talking to my son. They didnt want to sit separately either so the girl asked me. I just asked the college kid if he minded. It was only moving from one isle seat to the one across so no big deal. He still had the isle seat

I don't think the gate agent will move people with assigned seats around. If I paid for a seat assignment, I would be upset if the gate agent moved me. So asking yourself is the only way if there are not unassigned seats available.

So a lot of the discussion here is for parents traveling on Airtran with kids. I am travelling single on Airtran in a month, how likely would it be (considering the flight has more seats available) that I could get a aisle seat changed to a window seat?

I'm in a similar situation with 2 little ones, although I will have DH with me too (so doesn't matter if we sit 3+1 or 2+2). Since we booked on points, we have 4 different confirmation numbers. I just called SW to see if there was a way to link the numbers so that the computer will at least know that we are travelling together. She said there wasn't anything she could do. Boo!

On the bright side, a friend of mine just flew Airtran (via SW booking) and although his family was initially split up, so were all of the other SW families on the plane, so everyone just switched around, and they all got to sit with their own families.

We fly next week, so I'll be sure to report back on how it goes!

Please let us know how you make out! I'm pretty sure other flyers won't want to take care of my crying children, nor have me hanging over their seats constantly to take care of them...so I'm assuming someone will switch! I keep checking air tran's site to see how many seats show as bookable if I were to book through them and it looks like maybe 10 seats are showing unavailable, so I have hope!

Please let us know how you make out! I'm pretty sure other flyers won't want to take care of my crying children, nor have me hanging over their seats constantly to take care of them...so I'm assuming someone will switch! I keep checking air tran's site to see how many seats show as bookable if I were to book through them and it looks like maybe 10 seats are showing unavailable, so I have hope!

For those who booked on sw if you want to be together just pay for ebci or each of the tickets. Nbd. Do then all at once and they will be close enough number wise. Then you all get to sit together. An I missing something?

I don't get the "no one wants to deal with my screaming kid" business.

For those who booked on sw if you want to be together just pay for ebci or each of the tickets. Nbd. Do then all at once and they will be close enough number wise. Then you all get to sit together. An I missing something?

I don't get the "no one wants to deal with my screaming kid" business.

You can't book EBCI if it is an AirTran flight, you check in at 24 the hour mark.
We also booked an AirTran flight through southwest site, because of points, bags and flights offered, my kids are 12, 10, & 6. I think the older 2 would be ok, but I am hoping at least DH or I am by DD 6. Keeping fingers crossed and hope for the best.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter