accepted by private middle school but no financial aid

DD was accepted by a private school, but they didn't offer her any financial aid probably because we have savings...as I am not working...
Will it help if I were to call their financial aid office?

I understand I won't know until I call..but am wondering whether anyone was offered a financial aid when it was initially denied by the school.

I have to prepare my kid for not attending the private school. Yes, it is NJ, a good private school charges private colleges $$$. I have been unemployed for nearly two years and have another child with learning disabilities.
We have been living below our means but we have to dip into our savings. I think it would be easier for us to be qaulified.

We haven't saved for college, DH told me I should use those $$$ for college instead of middle school. I have talked to my kid, while she likes the private school, she really prefers her current public school. We are not in a bad school district.

amazing this is a new poster with only 2 posts - bet its someone under a new id!!

sorry but I read this as, I am not working, don't plan to, have savings enough to pay for private school but don't want to, what handout can I get?

what i don't like about grant aid is that that means that students like me, who are paying in full, are essentially just giving other kids a cushion to come and then that money isn't going towards better resources, more research, more on-campus housing, activities, events, etc. so i'm paying all this money, but i'm not getting anything extra compared to the students who aren't paying and who aren't contributing money towards the things i just mentioned. that said, dbf is here on full aid and will graduate with only about 6k in debt. while i'm happy for him, i still think the system could be better. for example, lower tuition to say, 20k and just have everyone across the board pay the same amount but then it won't be ridiculously high and then it wouldn't be a huge deal. but i guess it doesn't matter what i think, because my opinion won't be changing how the aid system works. i suppose i can look on the bright side and figure if dbf has very little debt, then when we get married, he/we won't be in a ton of debt.

i consider myself very lucky and try to show my mom that her money is well spent by keeping my grades up and finding lots of positions and doing extracurriculars. it's a mix of good planning and her job. she saved for each of us starting with the year we were born. we had an agreement that we could only go away to school if it was within a certain rank, otherwise we had to go to local publics, which is what one of my brothers is choosing to do. she's my favorite person in the entire world, not just because of how she's letting me grow on my own, but just because she's truly a wonderful person :love: i love my mommy :)

I'm trying to figure out what you have against students who accept "grant" aid. I attended a small, private liberal arts college many moons ago - but grants (along with loans) allowed me to attend. If my family had to pay full price (Mom was a teacher, Dad worked for the state as an accountant) I never would have been able to go. It was a top-notch education that allowed me to become the person I am today.

karenos;)

Eh, whenever someone pulls out grammar or spelling it usually just shows they haven't a better comeback.
Whenever someone picks out grammar or spelling or racism, that definitely means he has lost the argument.

A private school could make limited financial aid resources stretch further by not giving out any scholarships but instead pay the interest on loans extended to students.

A lot of times when the last parent goes out to work, there is not much money left after paying for transportation, day care, more frequent take out as opposed to home cooked meals, etc.

Somehow I don't think that going to private school for grades 1-8 is that important. COme grade 9, spending that year in the public school should be enough to evaluate how good the teaching is. We can't just rank the public school given its college acceptance rate or average test scores. Only after a student feels he can't get enough out of his classes should the parents get concerned about the quality of the public school. And the student has to select the proper courses for college preparation. This may mean not taking sex education or drama or industrial arts (unless required). And not going after "easy" courses for the sole purpose of putting a preponderance of A's on the report card.

It's middle school rather than high school, so I skewed a bit cheaper because that usually is a little less, but you're absolutely correct; $30K is not at all outside the realm of possibility.

The private school that I went to in northern NJ is now 36k a year. I know at least 10 private schools in NJ with virtually the same pricing structure.

The private school that I went to in northern NJ is now 36k a year. I know at least 10 private schools in NJ with virtually the same pricing structure.

Ok are you really talking middle school here?
Does anyone else think thats just crazy? :scared1:
When a years tuition at a good college is $30K-$36K? :scared1:

Geez, that stinks! I have one son who may be more of a trade kind of guy. We will see. But even a good trade takes education. It is merely a different form of education.

My niece wanted to be a marine biologist, but has wound up training zoo animals! Good luck to your middle. :)

So true on the trade education. Our community college system is inclusive with Technical degrees as well. It is nice to see that they have decided that good training for all job areas is better to have.

Thank you. My youngest wants to be a Dolphin trainer. She is 8 and big into Science and Math as well. I still love the looks we get when people ask her what her favorite subjects are and seh says Science and Math. Many expect it to be reading and some forget that girls can be good at and enjoy science.

I am at University of California Irvine and tuition, books, room, board, etc comes out to $27,000 at the most....and $10,000 of that is rent. Tuition and fees were about $10,000 or $11,000 this year.

It is what it is, I guess. I don't think any of the schools I'm thinking of are desperately searching for applicants. There's a healthy population of people that send their kids to these schools, in NJ and elsewhere.

PS, budget related tie-in - the fact that I went to one of these schools (as did both my siblings) because my parents felt the school system in our town was lacking, made me hyper aware of the issue as I grew up, had kids and looked for a house - we made sure to pick a house in a stellar school district (in NJ) so we wouldn't have to have the private school spend for 13+ years per kid.

I am at University of California Irvine and tuition, books, room, board, etc comes out to $27,000 at the most....and $10,000 of that is rent. Tuition and fees were about $10,000 or $11,000 this year.

Middle school vs. a year at the Univ. of California....
hmmm, lets see... :)
The latter sounds like a great ROI for $27,000!
(return on investment)

And while there are likely many who can afford 27K for a middle school, IMO there aren't any middle schools that are truly *worth it*. There are only so many kinds of available curriculum, text books, classes and extra curricular events. Even after all that ... are they professionally decorated classrooms? Do the teachers get uber high salaries? And there are FABULOUS teachers in all socio-economic areas.

Just wonderin' :) :confused3

I'm not defensive but you certainly make rude posts.

Whether or not it is wanted for a child, it happens. Look at some of the people that were oncce making 100,000 or more a year that are now getting food stamps or working low paying jobs just to get by because their company closed or they were laid off and can't find jobs in their job field.

Maybe you should watch being so hateful because Karma is a witch.
Lol, if being hateful means I tell it like it is, without worrying about offending the board police here, then guilty as charged. Life comes down to choices, simple as that. Any parent is going to want the best for their child and the best doesn't include working at Walmart.
I will go as far to say that most private schools will give you a better education than your average
public school. Now, if I were the OP, I'd probably get a job, or look into a loan. She shouldn't be slammed for wanting the best for her kid.

And thanks so much for being worried about my karma- but I think I'll be fine. I made the most I've ever made last year and I'm due for two more raises this year. :)

Middle school vs. a year at the Univ. of California....
hmmm, lets see... :)
The latter sounds like a great ROI for $27,000!
(return on investment)

And while there are likely many who can afford 27K for a middle school, IMO there aren't any middle schools that are truly *worth it*. There are only so many kinds of available curriculum, text books, classes and extra curricular events. Even after all that ... are they professionally decorated classrooms? Do the teachers get uber high salaries? And there are FABULOUS teachers in all socio-economic areas.

Just wonderin' :) :confused3

My cousin is in 7th grade and goes to a private school that is about $18,000/year. But $18,000 is just a drop in the bucket for her parents. This is also in SoCal. Th emajority of the students at this school live in multi-million dollar houses (including my cousin) except for the few that do go there on financial aid. Her 7th grade class has like 30 kids in it. They also go on trips to DC, Boston, etc. that are all included in tuition.

My cousin is in 7th grade and goes to a private school that is about $18,000/year. But $18,000 is just a drop in the bucket for her parents. This is also in SoCal. Th emajority of the students at this school live in multi-million dollar houses (including my cousin) except for the few that do go there on financial aid. Her 7th grade class has like 30 kids in it. They also go on trips to DC, Boston, etc. that are all included in tuition.

This, plus many other points. The schools I am familiar with have a multiday trip every school year for each grade starting in 4th grade - various notable US cities, Colonial Williamsburg, outward bound-type trips, each tying in to an overall curriculum theme for that year. Fully realized and integrated language, art, music curriculums (not "art on a cart" or Spanish for half an hour a week). Theatre and orchestra. Multiple sports teams, including golf, ski, sailing, riding, along with the usual soccer, field hockey, lacrosse, etc. AP everything. Class sizes usually between 75-100 kids per grade with only 10 or so kids in each classroom. Connected guidance offices - the year I graduated (admittedly 25+ years ago:scared1:) 3-4 kids from my class went to each Ivy - that's 25% of a class getting into Ivies, with most of the reminder getting into big East Coast schools, like Williams, Colgate, UVa, etc.

Every parent wants what's best for their kids. Does everyone have a different view of "the best," and can "the best" be achieved in different ways? Sure, but these schools are one route and plenty of people take it.

Jane

This, plus many other points. The schools I am familiar with have a multiday trip every school year for each grade starting in 4th grade - various notable US cities, Colonial Williamsburg, outward bound-type trips, each tying in to an overall curriculum theme for that year. Fully realized and integrated language, art, music curriculums (not "art on a cart" or Spanish for half an hour a week). Theatre and orchestra. Multiple sports teams, including golf, ski, sailing, riding, along with the usual soccer, field hockey, lacrosse, etc. AP everything. Class sizes usually between 75-100 kids per grade with only 10 or so kids in each classroom. Connected guidance offices - the year I graduated (admittedly 25+ years ago:scared1:) 3-4 kids from my class went to each Ivy - that's 25% of a class getting into Ivies, with most of the reminder getting into big East Coast schools, like Williams, Colgate, UVa, etc.

Every parent wants what's best for their kids. Does everyone have a different view of "the best," and can "the best" be achieved in different ways? Sure, but these schools are one route and plenty of people take it.

Jane

And IMO, unless the school district is really really bad OR you have that money sitting around, it's not worth it. I went to public shcool and I just got a 4.0 at UCI this quarter in all upper division psychology classes. I'd say that public school is just fine.

And IMO, unless the school district is really really bad OR you have that money sitting around, it's not worth it. I went to public shcool and I just got a 4.0 at UCI this quarter in all upper division psychology classes. I'd say that public school is just fine.

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2: WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

I have been reading the posts on this topic and think that people are not taking enough into consideration. I think what bothers most people is that she is a SAHM and is asking that be taken into consideration for financial aid.

I think that is a bit high handed and presumptious. If you want your child to go to the school then one should be expected to share part of the burden. I call it the cost of raising a child. If you want them to have the best then you must be willing to do your part.

That being said, she lives in Jersy. It is a high cost of living area. While some would consider $30,000 for middle school excessive, in certain parts of the country that is normal. The best schools in the DC area cost that much and more but the education and experiences these schools are offer are far superior to anything that even the best public schools can offer.

I don't have children yet but I am already planning for that cost because I live in an area that is notorious for having a bad public school system. My preference is also that my children attend single sex schools. So yes I know that I will be paying through the nose for my kids to get an education but it is a something that I know I will have to deal with since I chose to have a child and live in an area with bad public schools.

Minor side note - the original post was on March 11 in the small hours of the morning, and the last time the OP was on DisBoards was the very early morning of March 12; that is now more than a week ago.

So true on the trade education. Our community college system is inclusive with Technical degrees as well. It is nice to see that they have decided that good training for all job areas is better to have.

Thank you. My youngest wants to be a Dolphin trainer. She is 8 and big into Science and Math as well. I still love the looks we get when people ask her what her favorite subjects are and seh says Science and Math. Many expect it to be reading and some forget that girls can be good at and enjoy science.

You may already know this, but just in case you didn't, I thought your daughter might want to look into Sea World's Adventure Camps. At 8 she's a little young for the Resident Camps (4th grade and up), but if you happened to be in the area of one of them, they have Day Camps. :)

http://www.seaworld.org/adventure-camps/index.htm

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter