Above ground Pools w/deck are they tacky? if you have one what do you think?

Not sure why they would be tacky? Well unless you have cars on blocks next to them :rotfl2:

I live about 100 feet from the beach but still wanted a pool. We tried to get a gunite intsalled but along with the 20 grand the pool cost, we would have had to had a pump going to get rid of ground water. We are below sea level, that would have been about 35,000. :scratchin

Well if ours is tacky then none of my friends or neighbors care when they want to use it :rotfl2: Since our beach gets packed on weekends in summer, I will stay tacky and wet & cool.

Above ground pool lover chiming in. My parents had a 15x30 oval above ground for 25 years. When it was time to take it down, it was a farily inexpensive fix to their lawn. Conversely I have a retired teacher friend with a 15x30 inground that no one uses but will cost her a fortune to remove.

We have a beautiful 28' round in our backyard. No deck yet but it's in the future plans. I love my pool and being able to walk out my backdoor when it was 97 last week to go swimming was heaven.

Above grounds are the norm in our area of Ohio. When you can only use the pool for 4-5 months a year, seems a little financially irresponsible to spend $40K for a pool.

Our above ground pool is 19 years old and we are probably going to replace it next year. Be careful when purchasing an Intex type of pool. We have been told they are illegal to own in some states. They are not illegal to purchase, but illegal to own.:confused3 Apparently the soft sides can allow a child to fall into it and possibly drown. I thought that was interesting information.

"Tacky" is in the eye of the beholder. The only people you have to please are yourselves.:)

I have to say that I'm not a fan of them because I've never seen one nicely landscaped or attractive. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure I've ever seen an above ground pool with a deck. They just look like really big tubs, often with rust climbing up them smack dab in the middle of an otherwise nice yard.
Or in other words, I agree with this poster:
I don't like above ground pools without decks as I don't feel they are safe, some of them look horrible, and some are hard to get into. Flimsy stairs to climb up on (have had several neighborhood accidents courtesty of those), weeds growing up the side, rust on the outside and not being able to get into the pool quickly enough in the event of an emergency (been there, done that too) are what we have experienced.

Those are the reasons I don't like above ground pools, so it has nothing to do with being a rich snob. Goodness.
So I really wouldn't want to look at one in my neighbor's backyard -- I might put a fence up so I wouldn't have to look at it, to be honest.

I could be convinced otherwise if I saw one with nice landscaping, however.

Just thought I'd add pictures of the pool & deck so far.

DSCN1039.JPG

DSCN1038.JPG

DSCN1042.JPG

DSCN1043.JPG

DSCN1091.JPG

DSCN1093.JPG

It is still a much progress in the works.:rotfl:

there will be lattice on the sides & some kind of landscaping over here.
the deck will be extended to the length of the pool, they just wanted to get some kind of entrance into the pool working now.

DSCN1094.JPG

DSCN1097.JPG

Looks great!

I don't want to be Debbie Downer, but it looks like the deck is sitting on the edge of the pool. Is that just the camera angle? If not, between that and the lip on the deck that goes over the pool edge, how will you get the winter cover on?

You know, that's the first thing I thought of - the winter cover.

We built a deck onto our pool, and we had to get our son to wiggle underneath to help tie down the cover. And if we ever have to replace the liner, my dh will have to tear part of the decking off. Oh, well, live and learn .

But the deck does look beautiful!

Just curious- did you have to get a permit? We did - what a process!

Our house came with one. We don't live in a traditional neighborhood though and have 2.5 acres so no one else really sees it. The previous owners left their receipts with their manuals, etc....and I see they spent over $7K for it in 2003.

It is a 24' round pool and still in great condition.

I would prefer an inground, but when it is really hot out, I love it!

Tacky and proud here:banana: I have a 24x48 round pool right smack dab in the back yard. A two-tiered deck surrounds it. French doors off the kitchen open onto the first tier with steps down to the second tier. Think it's tacky all you want while I'm floating around nice and cool in the summer and you are sweating your balls off:rotfl:

I'm in Canada, so our pool gets about 2 months of use if we're lucky. We only have an Intex because I can't even justify the cost of an aboveground with a deck. What I've always wanted to do though, is build a heated greenhouse with a pool and deck inside it so we could use it year round!

I'm in Canada, so our pool gets about 2 months of use if we're lucky. We only have an Intex because I can't even justify the cost of an aboveground with a deck. What I've always wanted to do though, is build a heated greenhouse with a pool and deck inside it so we could use it year round!

Now that sounds awesome! I don't know what a Intex is..I'm off to Google

I've seen above ground pools that are just stuck in the yard with no thought to aesthetics and I've seen some that are nicely decked and landscaped which were very nice. I think a lot of thought needs to be given to placement, decking and plantings in order to pull it off. Sounds like you are aware of the pitfalls of lack of planning:goodvibes Good luck!

That's mine and who do I need to impress anyway:rotfl2:.
It's 10 years with just an outside removable ladder, no deck.

If my neighbors don't like what's in my yard they can put up a taller fence.::yes::

OP
I did not read thru the entire thread but here are my thoughts..
I think an above ground pool if planned correctly can look just fine... PLANNING is key...Our yard is actually multi level, so tho our pool is technically above ground, the decking goes right up to it (on the shorter side.. its 18 by 33) one then goes from that deck up steps (on the left side) to another deck that is the entire length of the pool. Its all set up with loungers, tables on the upper with our formal dining/bar/cooking area on the lower deck ...Looks lovely lol..it "appears" to be in the ground more than above ground...and we always get rave comments about the yard set up when people come over and see it for the first time...
My brother just got the same size pool installed at his home this summer, he bought a pool that CAN go below grade, it literally sticks up about 10" above ground and the rest is inground...(mine is 4' deep his is 4.5).his decking being built is entirely around his pool, one level..
My brother just paid over 20K for his, so I assume you all are doing the install??? Its a BIG job ...
Best of luck ...do some research in your area ...maybe you can get an "off season deal?"
Whatever you finally choose....enjoy!

Looks great!

I don't want to be Debbie Downer, but it looks like the deck is sitting on the edge of the pool. Is that just the camera angle? If not, between that and the lip on the deck that goes over the pool edge, how will you get the winter cover on?

;)
yes it is just the camera angle

the deck is a couple inches above the pool edge. we wanted to make sure there would be no problems if there was any shifting in the winter.

OP it looks really nice! Post some more pics when it is finished. You are gonna be loving it next summer!

I have no problem with above ground pools, lots of them in our area. But our over the back fence neighbors pool/deck is driving me nuts.

Our lots are pretty small and all of them are fenced. 3 years ago these folks cut down a beautiful, mature maple tree. Opened up or view to other houses where we used to see a tree. OK, their property, they can do what they want. 2 years ago they took down the chain link fence on the property line and put in a 6 foot white plastic/resin whatever fence. I honestly don't know who owned the old fence, it was here when we moved in 13 years ago and when they moved in 7 years ago. They never said a word to us, just put in the fence. We would have been happy to split the cost if we would have been consulted. I would have preferred a wood fence as 1 1/2 sides of our yard have wood already. But again, OK. Whatever.

Apparently, this work was all in prep for last summer and the installation of a fairly large, above ground, oval pool. Takes up 2/3rds of the yard. Comes almost up to the top of the fence. I don't see it, no big deal. Welcome to 2012! The put a deck around about 1/2 of the pool. With this deck up, they can sit on their deck and look over into my backyard and 2 foot deck. We now have zip privacy and have to look at them and their extended family and friends sitting around on their deck. Look at their towels hanging around the railing constantly. Listen to their music being played on the deck...and since it's above the fence it carries more than ever to our yard. We get their conversations when a bit drunk. We get their tacky roof-only tent thing that provides shade. (to add insult to injury we are a U of M family and the tent is blazing Ohio State:rotfl:) .

But most of all I just hate feeling like a zoo animal in my own backyard. I think it's just rude.

I'd be putting up some pretty tall shrubbery along that back fence line if I were you.....

OP, the pool looks great.

As far as landscaping and the dogs...hostas are pretty durable...my dog would trample them to death every year and they'd come back. Talk to a landscpaer/landscape architect....they can offer some good ideas of more sturdy plants or shrubs that can take the dogs' damage. I'm thinking some of those big ornamental grasses that can be scratchy. Also barberries are good because they have prickers and the dogs gets pricked a couple of time then learn to stay away.....plus they are a maroon color and turn more red in the fall, so they add some color without flowers, which dogs will trample.

As far as above vs. below-ground. We were apparently the tackiest of the tacky when I was growing up because we had an above-ground pool with a ladder. No rust of weeds growing around it though. ;)

My brother-in-law just replaced his above-ground pool with ::: gasp!:: another above-ground pool. He had the deck formed around the old pool, so when he put the new pool in, he had to do some deck modifications in order to put the new pool into the old deck area, since the new pool wasn't quite the same shape. Soemthing to think about in terms of decking the pool.

I have one - but it came with my house, so I never really had to think about it. The deck comes off the back door, then includes steps up to a second level that acts as the "pool deck". There are plants and a fence, so I think it all looks like it belongs there. At least I've never had any complaints.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter