Above ground Pools w/deck are they tacky? if you have one what do you think?

muffyn

"hmmm*
I would have dearly loved an inground pool,,, they are just so gorgeous...& my plan was to build a cover for it to be used all year round.
*sigh*
well that just is not in the cards, can't justify the expense of 20,000+ to even start it. so we have done nothing..
until 2 weeks ago . my daughter & her hubby decide they want a pool in the backyard ( they live in attached home). at first looked at steel w/liner inground pools, but I pointed out neither of the men are that young anymore to do THAT kind of install,, & any inground installed just too pricey.....
soo decided on an above ground.. (18x33,,,, almost got the 21x40)

anyway,, my hubby just kinda sighs.. that the pool with a deck around it just looks tacky....... I dunno.
how do you guys feel about above ground pools? do you have a deck,, ? like it?hate it?
I have seen ideas on decks ( we are still in drawing plans on one) that look pretty nice, but its STILL not the same as an inground.:(

we have a 8 &12 foot deck back out the back of our house, & will add the pool connected to the 8 ft part with a couple stairs up.. then have the long side of pool with a 12 deck out the side. backside of pool will have nothing.

DSCN0813.JPG

I personally have no problem with above ground pools with a deck. I think most of them look fine.

I've never even heard of an above-ground pool that size!

I think it's geographic kind of. There are areas around here that have them as fairly standard, but they're the round deals with the square decks enclosing them. It's generally in areas where there wouldn't be room for a larger pool regardless. It's not downmarket exactly, more working class. I don't know what a big rectangular one looks like... oh besides the one the dogs dive in on the dog dive challenge on Letterman. Hoping that's not it, that is kind of not attractive, heh. Off to google...

We recently installed a 27x54 pool ourselves and are planning on building decking - a lower deck big enough for a table, and an upper deck, mainly to get down into the pool.

I think it helps if you have landscaped it with attractive grasses and flowers. My friend has one, and you don't notice the "pool", you notice the plants.

Our kids love the pool, it is great family time, and with the heat wave we are having in Pa, a nice way to cool off.

Enjoy!

Obviously SOME people must feel they look tacky. My association doesn't allow them in our development. It's inground or nuthin'. We got nuthin'. :)

Personally, I think they look fine.

I've seen above ground pools that are just stuck in the yard with no thought to aesthetics and I've seen some that are nicely decked and landscaped which were very nice. I think a lot of thought needs to be given to placement, decking and plantings in order to pull it off. Sounds like you are aware of the pitfalls of lack of planning:goodvibes Good luck!

if that's your house, it looks like you have a lovely home with a big back yard. Just remember to check local codes when you install a pool and deck..some places require you to have the entire are fenced in!

It depends. Would there be a '75 Chevy up on blocks next to three used toilets to the side of the deck? Then yes, it would be tacky.

If it has some landscaping and some interesting focal points, then no.

If it is just stuck in the middle of the yard with a deck, it would look unfinished.

Hubby had the same conversation with me this morning.

I don't like them at all, and think they look mostly tacky, but it would depend upon what you do with it. I can't stand above ground pools without decks for sure.

Some relatives have them, and they have fixed up the deck really nicely, but ultimately, you can see it's an above ground pool, with a flimsy set of stairs to the deck. That is the part I don't like, whereas an onground or inground allows you to walk into the pool at zero entry.

Good luck in your decision! Tiger

My mama had one put in about 9 years ago across her creek/bridge. It's a 22ft x ? round one and one side has a deck. I think it looks fine and tacky or not it's nice to be able to swim in in the summer :).

Our first house had this. They had made it look amazing. First of all, you couldn't tell right away it was an above ground pool. They excavated and basically buried a good part of it. Then they surrounded it with really pretty decking that was nicely landscaped. So you walked out of the back door, onto the decking, and there was the pool, which you stepped down into, like an inground pool. I thought it was an ingenious way to have a pool without all the $$$.

I have an above ground pool with a deck around half of it. Personally I hate the way above ground pools look with or without a deck, but when its 90+ and I'm floating around in it, I really don't care :)

Neither of these are my pool, but they look nice

022.jpg

above-ground-pool-deck-pics.jpg

Some look tacky. I agree if it has nice decking and landscaping they look great. My neighbor has a partially sunk one with decking all around it - kinda looks like an in ground.

If it were a matter of don't have one at all - I would have an above ground.

We have a 28-ft above ground pool, with a gorgeous Trex deck attached to the house and then out to the pool. It's a gray deck with white vinyl fencing. We also have a hot tub recessed into the deck, and beautiful landscaping around it. We spent around $15,000 for absolutely everything, which is less than half the cost of just an in-ground pool. After you spend 30 grand on the pool (around here that's what it costs) you then need concrete around it, a fence, landscaping, etc. I could not justify the cost of an in ground. We love our yard and pool!

I loved mine. We lived on a hill so it was 1/2 underground, 20 x 40 with a 10 foot deep end and diving board surrounded by wood deck. Ma ybe tacky to some but not to me. I loved to look out the window at it. The pump and salt system were all under the decking at the deep end so easy access. The deck was more expensive than the pool but beautiful in the end. We also put a hot tub sunk in to the deck.

Not tacky at all, IMO.

Growing up, we had a HUGE above-ground pool with a nice-sized deck. I loved it!

I have an above ground pool with a deck around half of it. Personally I hate the way above ground pools look with or without a deck, but when its 90+ and I'm floating around in it, I really don't care :)

Neither of these are my pool, but they look nice

022.jpg

above-ground-pool-deck-pics.jpg

The second pic is actually a semi-inground pool. Basically, an above ground that can be sunk down in the ground.

I had my hubby look at this exact pic a few weeks ago. He's itching for an inground, but no way do I want to spend that kind of money. This happens every year when it gets hot out. I come home to find the internet opened up to an in-ground pool site:upsidedow

We have an above ground pool with NO deck but we have gotten so much use out of the silly thing that I have come to not care! It was $400 at Sam's Club and we are on year 4 with it. I got a 3 tiered fountain we attached to the filter to "class" it up:goodvibes I love the sound of the fountain...We are tacky and proud!

One of my neighbors has an above ground pool that is recessed into the ground. It's a very large oval shaped pool which a deck all the way around. They also have the steps that let let you walk into the pool. It's great for playing volleyball and I love it when they ask us to use the pool and run the pump ect. while they go away! :cool1:

The pool looks very nice with the decking all around. It seems like the best of both worlds, pretty pool without the commitment and $ of an in ground. Also an in ground pool may affect the resale of your beautiful home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter