AAA - 2013 Rates (We just booked!)

I've seen some posts where people seem reluctant to book a package straight through AAA, is there any reason not to do that? Has anyone had problems doing that? What kind of problems?

The only 'problem' I've seen is that when booking through AAA (or hotels.com since that was also mentioned) you have to go through the third party to make any changes, additions, etc.

You could call Disney and ask general questions, but they can't open your reservation and do anything with it. Need to add DME? Call AAA. Want to fix a name misspelling? Call AAA.... you get the point.

It's not a big issue if you know about it going in, but just as an example:

Someone who had been blasted by hurricane Sandy needed to move dates and had booked through AAA. Disney couldn't do anything with the reservation. The person was calling on a Sunday, and was flying out on Monday. AAA is closed on Sunday.

It CAN be a hassle. It doesn't have to be. But the same goes for any other third party. Expedia, Hotels.com, etc are definitely more difficult to make modifications through or ask questions through than AAA thought.

The only 'problem' I've seen is that when booking through AAA (or hotels.com since that was also mentioned) you have to go through the third party to make any changes, additions, etc.

You could call Disney and ask general questions, but they can't open your reservation and do anything with it. Need to add DME? Call AAA. Want to fix a name misspelling? Call AAA.... you get the point.

It's not a big issue if you know about it going in, but just as an example:

Someone who had been blasted by hurricane Sandy needed to move dates and had booked through AAA. Disney couldn't do anything with the reservation. The person was calling on a Sunday, and was flying out on Monday. AAA is closed on Sunday.

It CAN be a hassle. It doesn't have to be. But the same goes for any other third party. Expedia, Hotels.com, etc are definitely more difficult to make modifications through or ask questions through than AAA thought.

Thanks for such a thorough answer!

Is aaa savings only on the room or can/do they also get other savings on tickets and dining? I have a room discount already by calling disney directly. Do I gain anything by giving up control and letting aaa book a package for me?

jenndisney said:
Is aaa savings only on the room or can/do they also get other savings on tickets and dining? I have a room discount already by calling disney directly. Do I gain anything by giving up control and letting aaa book a package for me?

I am not sure if you still need an answer...I personally don't like giving up control. I checked package pricing with AAA and at least for me, it wasn't that much of a discount on the tickets. It would pay to use AAA if you want the other perks they offer. I think they offer preferred parking and viewing for illuminations, and other things as well. I booked room only and will buy my own tickets. Good luck and have a great time.

As long as you DON'T plan to buy the Disney Dining Plan, tickets can be added to a room-only discounted rate. Whenever you do add tickets, they must be paid in full at that time.

CAUTION: if you switch to room-only AND ADD park passes at that time, you won't be able to switch back to a package. Park passes are non-refundable and must be PAID-IN-FULL IF adding to room-only. Packages require a park pass purchase, which, if you added when you booked and paid for with room-only, are non-refundable. A real Catch 22!

If unsure, stay with package and make changes up to date final payment is due. Or place a deposit on room-only and add tickets a few days out from or on your arrival.

Anyone with a AAA membership can get basic AAA room-only discount. If AAA is offering a package discount, that requires working with a AAA travel agent to book.

Just restating my earlier post for clarity. :)
SO can I book a room only reservation for AoA in august and get a discount for AAA? If I want to add tickets and a dining plan I can't and still get the discount? Yes I am confused/I don't have a AAA membership but am contemplating getting one if the discount is good enough.

misstdiana said:
SO can I book a room only reservation for AoA in august and get a discount for AAA? If I want to add tickets and a dining plan I can't and still get the discount? Yes I am confused/I don't have a AAA membership but am contemplating getting one if the discount is good enough.

You can only book with AAA discount if it is being offered for the resort and the nights you are staying. Keep in mind that there are a limited number set aside. It also depends on your dates. When I first asked, there was no AAA discount offered. I realized after, that my reservation included one night of the peak pricing. When I asked for AAA discount without that one night, the discount was there.

If you want dining plan and AAA discount, you will need to book a package with AAA travel, not WDW. WDW will not deal with a AAA package. When dealing with AAA discount, WDW will only book room-only.

I hope that helps. If you have more questions, please ask.

I've seen some posts where people seem reluctant to book a package straight through AAA, is there any reason not to do that? Has anyone had problems doing that? What kind of problems?

I talked to my regional AAA travel agent and truly felt that I was more knowledgeable on WDW than she was. Since the offer was 10% room only the only way to get extra savings would have been to book a package and save a little on tickets.

That would have made it more complicated when I switched to a better offer that I was pretty sure was coming out through WDW.

That's why I booked the AAA offer straight through WDW and made it easy to switch over to the 25% offer that came out later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter