A Vacation From My Problems (A Sept. 2010 Trip Report) - COMPLETED 12/14

::yes:: Tru dat. Tony's is one of my favorites and I read vastly different reviews yet we've been 2x and had great experiences. :upsidedow

We had dinner at Tony's on our last night. I'd tell you what we thought of it, but instead I'll save it for later in the TR, leaving everyone waiting in breathless anticipation! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

glad to see there was still an open chair for me ! popcorn::Looks like I have a little back reading to do.I was never good with extra credit ,so I don't expect to see any bonus points :sad2:

:welcome:

Hey, thanks for dropping in, Carl! Pull up a chair and dive in. Truth be told, you haven't missed a whole lot.

Once again... thank you for providing entertainment! So much better than the :laundy: I should be doing. The balloon ride looks like it could be really fun! Perhaps something we will attempt in December :)

And the Mustangs were "tight" (adjective from my son :) ), the dinosaur is adorable (my daughter's adjective :) ).

Once again... thank you for providing entertainment! So much better than the :laundy: I should be doing. The balloon ride looks like it could be really fun! Perhaps something we will attempt in December :)

And the Mustangs were "tight" (adjective from my son :) ), the dinosaur is adorable (my daughter's adjective :) ).

tight   /taɪt/ [tahyt]
adjective -er, -est, adverb, -er, -est.
–adjective
1. firmly or closely fixed in place; not easily moved; secure: a tight knot.
2. drawn or stretched so as to be tense; taut.
3. affording little or no extra room; fitting closely, esp. too closely: a tight collar.

:confused3

From slang dictionary:

tight: A word used to mean cool or neat.

Ohhhh, now I get it. Tell your son word up, yo. Um, I mean, I am full of gratitude for his compliment regarding the endeavors of my offspring.

And tell your daughter thanks. ;)

Some day, in the next decade or two, I will need to get the kids up early for something. They'll whine and mope and I'll struggle to get them out of bed, and I'll look back on these days with fondness, when they were up at the crack of dawn every day. But right now, I'd really like them to learn how to sleep in on weekends.

In any case, this was Sunday morning, and we wanted to try and make it to the Rope Drop ceremony at the Magic Kingdom, so their early-morning habits weren't quite as irritating. We munched on some Pop-Tarts and Colon Blow for breakfast, and Julie brewed some coffee in the room so we wouldn't be subjected to the normal Disney Nescrap-e. :crazy2:

We made it to the bus stop around 8:15 a.m., and Rope Drop was scheduled for 9:00. There was a decent crowd waiting, and the first few of what would prove to be many, many scooters. I'm not sure if September was the National Scooter Convention or what, but these things were everywhere.

We noticed that the scooters really slow down and put a drain on the transportation system. I know there are many people who need them, whether due to age or medical conditions--I'm not begrudging that fact. The buses are very slow to load them, and we found ourselves praying another one would show up (often one did, and there would be a mad rush for it while the first poor bus driver was still loading up the scooters). I think it might be a problem Disney needs to address. Maybe a separate para-transit bus system?

We did overhear one person in a scooter saying they wouldn't go without it: "You get to the front of every line..." :sad2: Surely this isn't the case everywhere, but you hate to see people abusing the system.

We made it to the Magic Kingdom with about 10 minutes to spare. Good thing, too, because the show started a few minutes early. It's a pretty cool ceremony. The best part is when the train pulls into the station with all the characters aboard. DIS Dads Man Law...UPHELD. :thumbsup2

IMG_3877.JPG

September must be their designated time to paint the castle, because the dumb crane was there during our 2006 trip and it was back this year. Or maybe Disney just has a grand conspiracy to ruin our Christmas card pictures. They don't have a defense against Photoshop yet, though. Take that!

IMG_3889.jpg

(Thanks FreezinRafiki for the Photoshop work)

We wanted to head straight for Fantasyland to do those rides before the lines got bad. But we took an extremely necessary detour into the Main St. Bakery to use up some snack credits on cinnamon rolls. Those things ain't gonna eat themselves, you know. 2 rolls were easily enough to feed my family. :eek:

First stop was Dumbo: already a 20-minute wait for a 30-second ride. Grrr. There's a reason I wanted to get rid of this one early. From there, it was onto the carrousel. We did a quick search for Cinderella's horse, but didn't find it before they started the ride. We told Scotty to try and pull the sword from the stone. Although he was without fear in the face of his enemies, he was unable to arise a knight.

IMG_3908.JPG

There was no wait for Philharmagic, so we marched right in. "It's starting in 10 seconds," said the helpful cast member. We rushed to grab glasses for everyone, scooted the kids along, and... the doors closed in our face. Well, at least the room was air-conditioned. And we could take goofy pictures.

IMG_3910.JPG

Now the last time we'd seen Philharmagic, the boys had been too young for it and scared by images coming out of the screen. Surely, this time would be different, right!

Wrong. And stop calling me Shirley.

Scotty refused to wear the glasses once the show started. And Dave cowered in his seat, hands over his ears. I asked what was wrong. "It's too loud," he whimpered. "I really don't like this, Daddy..." A tear fell down his cheek.

Well, we were off to a great start. My kids are scared of Donald. In Dave's defense, they did have the volume cranked up to 11. I'm not sure it really needed to be that loud. But I put my arm around him and we tried to enjoy the show as best we could.

Once outside, the boys seemed ok. They seemed to have an aversion to dark places with loud noises. I guess I can't blame a 6- and a 4-year-old for that. "Who wants to ride Snow White's Scary Adventures?" I asked. All I got was a withering look from Mrs. Oblivious.

Peter Pan had a 30-minute wait, so we went for FastPasses. And it was our lucky day! Not only did we get them, but we each got a SURPRISE FASTPASS for Philharmagic! :woohoo: For some reason, David wasn't as excited as me.

My excitement quickly waned, however, when I found out that It's a Small World was closed for refurbishment. Here I am, showing my profound disappointment:

IMG_3915.JPG

We decided we'd had enough of Fantasyland. Julie, Sarah and I wanted to go hit one of our favorites: Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. First roller coaster I'd ever tried, and now Dave and Scotty were tall enough to ride it with us. Sarah had loved this ride when she was 4. We figured Dave and Scotty would, too.

IMG_3943.JPG

The wait was listed at 10 minutes, so we went right in. At this point, Scotty began to feel some pangs of dread. "I no want to go on this ride, Mommy," he said. Being the kind, sensitive parents anyone would want to model themselves after, we told him that was nonsense and he'd love it. He dragged his feet, but moved on with us. They lined us up--in the very last car of the train. Here's Scotty before the ride, as he got his hopes up:

IMG_3925.JPG

Dave was quiet, probably a little nervous, but not saying anything. I had videotaped this ride on our previous trip and he'd watched that, so he knew what to expect. Still, his hands flew to his ears as soon as we plunged into the Bat-cave. But we were rushing around the mountain in no time.

Of course, the back car gives a bit wilder ride than the front, since the weight of the train tends to pull you over the hills faster, whipping you around and out of your seat. We were having a great time, though, whooping it up and raising our hands. As we rounded one corner, I thought I heard a faint cry on the wind, but dismissed it as part of the white noise of an amusement park. We raced around spirals, zoomed through caves, ducked under low clearings, following the whims of the runaway locomotive. And then we came through the final tunnel, slowing to re-enter the station. Funny, that cry was still there. And it was louder.

IMG_3929.JPG

Scotty was bawling his eyes out. "I no like dis ride! Make it stop!" he cried.

So. That went well.

I am proud to say that Dave did like the ride, and wanted to do it again. We couldn't subject Scotty to that one again, though. We went for lunch at Pecos Bill's instead. I got the big burger with the onion rings on it, because as we all know, calories don't count on vacation. :thumbsup2

Coming Up Next: Our Magic Kingdom adventure continues! Having already traumatized our sons, can we find something to torture our daughter?

Don't call me Shirley = Airplane!

Edited to add: Oh dang, too late. My wife talked to me while I was reading and I couldn't post as quickly as I wanted to.

Well, my only other guess is that Colon Blow is from SNL, but not exactly a movie line.

I totally agree on the scooters messing up the buses. I feel bad for the people, but had to suppress a "Doh!" whenever I saw them get in my line while waiting for a bus.

Also, loved your It's a Small World picture!

My excitement quickly waned, however, when I found out that It's a Small World was closed for refurbishment. Here I am, showing my profound disappointment:

IMG_3915.JPG

I have to say that this is just wrong... IASW is a classic ride that brings all the visitors to the MK together with one common goal... kill those incessant singing dolls!!!! :laughing:

Great, this is what I get for "one last quick check of the DIS" before heading to bed......another installment that I simply can't just let lie until morning. That would be bad points karma. Er, sumpthin'.....

We made it to the bus stop around 8:15 a.m., and Rope Drop was scheduled for 9:00. There was a decent crowd waiting, and the first few of what would prove to be many, many scooters. I'm not sure if September was the National Scooter Convention or what, but these things were everywhere.

Well I'm thinkin' because that was our exact experience on our last trip in Sept. of '08....:headache:

We noticed that the scooters really slow down and put a drain on the transportation system. I know there are many people who need them, whether due to age or medical conditions--I'm not begrudging that fact. The buses are very slow to load them, and we found ourselves praying another one would show up (often one did, and there would be a mad rush for it while the first poor bus driver was still loading up the scooters). I think it might be a problem Disney needs to address. Maybe a separate para-transit bus system?

A first-time person with a rental scooter + a novice bus driver = scooter-loading H-E-L-L. This definitely needs to be addressed by Disney!

September must be their designated time to paint the castle, because the dumb crane was there during our 2006 trip and it was back this year.

And yet again, I'm thinkin'!.....yep, I saw it in '06 too. Our family has come to fondly refer to it as "Cinderella's Crane."

Now the last time we'd seen Philharmagic, the boys had been too young for it and scared by images coming out of the screen. Surely, this time would be different, right!

Wrong. And stop calling me Shirley.

Airplane!:thumbsup2

Peter Pan had a 30-minute wait, so we went for FastPasses. And it was our lucky day! Not only did we get them, but we each got a SURPRISE FASTPASS for Philharmagic! :woohoo: For some reason, David wasn't as excited as me.

I am afraid for Phiharmagic every time I get a "surprise" Fastpass for it dropped out of another Fantasyland attraction....:sad2:

IMG_3915.JPG

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

Of course, the back car gives a bit wilder ride than the front, since the weight of the train tends to pull you over the hills faster, whipping you around and out of your seat. We were having a great time, though, whooping it up and raising our hands.

If you are ever on or within a mile of this ride and hear someone laughing insanely, it's me....in the very last seat.

Best. Ride. Ever.

I am proud to say that Dave did like the ride, and wanted to do it again. We couldn't subject Scotty to that one again, though. We went for lunch at Pecos Bill's instead. I got the big burger with the onion rings on it, because as we all know, calories don't count on vacation. :thumbsup2

A man after my own heart!....or, er -- stomach!:upsidedow

I think I might have had the same reaction if I saw that IASW was closed while I was there! A classic ride yes, but that song...oh that song just about drives me batty!!!!

LOL...I can't wait to see if you were able to find a way to torture your daughter :rotfl:

Hmmm...I have never eaten at Pesco's Bill! I think I'm going to have to try it one of these days!

Colon Blow
What? Not Super Colon Blow?

stop calling me Shirley
AIRPLANE!

volume cranked up to 11
This is Spinal Tap! (Loved that movie)

PEANUTBUTTER! I'm going to need a little warning when you post these so I can try to beat the other Dis Dads...

Fwiw, I did the same when I heard it was closed. Oh, and the crane on the castle? They're hanging lights for Christmas. Disney never fails to be proactive! I hear these lights are actually being hung for Christmas 2012.

Lastly, regarding the scooters - I know how you feel. My wife has a handicap placard (two actually) and this year it finally is up for renewal and our doctor gave us the red temporary one instead. Grr... We feel like we're getting judged by other handicap people now because they often take the spots that actual handicap people need. Anyway, the people who don't need it but use it anyway bug me to no end. We bring my wife's personal chair and drive around on our own so we don't clog the system.

Just joining in...love your TR so far! We just got back last week, so I'm looking forward to reading about your September experiences and seeing how they compare! :goodvibes

Too late to get in on the movie quotes, though Spinal Tap is a classic.

Just had to share that one of my dd's was about your son's age when we first took her on BTMRR. Needless to say she wasn't too thrilled with it and when we were getting off she said "That was the WORST ride in the wilderness!!"

Enjoying your TR :goodvibes.

We had dinner at Tony's on our last night. I'd tell you what we thought of it, but instead I'll save it for later in the TR, leaving everyone waiting in breathless anticipation! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

Oooo, suspense. :hyper:

In any case, this was Sunday morning, and we wanted to try and make it to the Rope Drop ceremony at the Magic Kingdom, so their early-morning habits weren't quite as irritating. We munched on some Pop-Tarts and Colon Blow for breakfast, and Julie brewed some coffee in the room so we wouldn't be subjected to the normal Disney Nescrap-e. :crazy2:

Side note: we had an RN at work download a Colon Blow ad onto all of our computers at work. Needless to say the poor fella got a harsh talking to. ;)

IMG_3915.JPG

:snooty: IASW is my favorite but only at Disneyland so you are forgiven. :laughing:

Some day, in the next decade or two, I will need to get the kids up early for something. They'll whine and mope and I'll struggle to get them out of bed, and I'll look back on these days with fondness, when they were up at the crack of dawn every day.
We're already there with Madison. Kindergarten starts at 7:40, so DW is pulling her out of bed at 7:00. Evan is up at 6:00, playing in his room and singing at the top of his lungs. :confused3

We made it to the Magic Kingdom with about 10 minutes to spare. Good thing, too, because the show started a few minutes early. It's a pretty cool ceremony. The best part is when the train pulls into the station with all the characters aboard. DIS Dads Man Law...UPHELD. :thumbsup2
Nice Job. We've been close a few times, and gotten there at other parks, but never quite made RD at Magic Kingdom. At least we get there before Tim. :rotfl2:
(Thanks FreezinRafiki for the Photoshop work)
:thumbsup2

We wanted to head straight for Fantasyland to do those rides before the lines got bad. But we took an extremely necessary detour into the Main St. Bakery to use up some snack credits on cinnamon rolls. Those things ain't gonna eat themselves, you know. 2 rolls were easily enough to feed my family. :eek:
{feverishly scribbling something on my December "must-do" list}

Scotty refused to wear the glasses once the show started. And Dave cowered in his seat, hands over his ears. I asked what was wrong. "It's too loud," he whimpered. "I really don't like this, Daddy..." A tear fell down his cheek.
I didn't know we were doing commercials too! Crying Indian in the pollution commercial.:sad1:
Don't worry, soon enough those greedy little children will be reaching out and trying to grab all of those floating jewels. Not like mine do or anything. I've heard. Really.

Once outside, the boys seemed ok. They seemed to have an aversion to dark places with loud noises. I guess I can't blame a 6- and a 4-year-old for that. "Who wants to ride Snow White's Scary Adventures?" I asked. All I got was a withering look from Mrs. Oblivious.
Is that what that was? I was wondering why I got a chill up my spine that day. And all the way up in Wisconsin. Mrs. Oblivious has some pretty good range on her evil eye.

We got surprise FPs for Philharmagic once from Pooh's ride. I was walking back to Pinocchio's to rejoin my family and looked over at Philiharmagic. 5 minute wait, empty stroller parking. Score. :confused3

Still, his hands flew to his ears as soon as we plunged into the Bat-cave.
You though the amp at Philharmagic was loud? This one goes to 12.

I got the big burger with the onion rings on it, because as we all know, calories don't count on vacation. :thumbsup2
Greasy burger and onion rings on top of cinnamon roll? Now we're talking!

Nice photoshopping there Barry!!!! ::yes::
Thank you. That means a lot coming from my nemesis.

man you guys are up late! I knew some of the quotes though. I should at least get a thumbs up.

My boys are early risers too. It's great during the week but not so much on the weekends. At least on the weekends they get up and play and let us sleep/lay in bed a little bit before breakfast.

I fear my youngest will give me the hardest time about rides. He did want to go on a lot of them at Dutch Wonderland so maybe that is a start. Our oldest (4.5) loves rides and didnt want to get off the roller coaster. I am hoping he will be my partner in crime for most of the rides.

loving the trip report, can't wait to read the rest.

I have only started to read your TR, but I LOVE it! I just wanted to say hi. I hope to catch up soon and then start earning my Movie Quote points. . .as I'm a big movie buff, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter