A Vacation From My Problems (A Sept. 2010 Trip Report) - COMPLETED 12/14

Discussion in 'Completed Trip Reports' started by Captain_Oblivious, Sep 29, 2010.

1. that's nice

that's nice DIS Dad #330

How 'bout this jem at the Big E this year... big fair in Springfield, MA..
    Taken from LINK HERE

Meet the 1,500-calorie 'Craz-E Burger': beef patty, bacon and cheese on Krispy Kreme donut

[​IMG]

Talk about a heart-stopper.

The donut burger - a bacon cheeseburger with a buttered Krispy Kreme glazed donut standing in for a bun - is becoming a hit on the fair circuit and among some far-out foodies.

Amusingly, the heart-stopping sandwich was sold just outside the West Springfield agricultural fair's "Better Living Center."

Pioneered in the South and popularized by Food Network host Paula Deen, it was a big hit at this year's Big E fair in Massachusetts. Fairgoers bought about 1,000 "Craz-E Burgers" each day of the fair's 17-day run, which ended Sunday, organizers said.

At 1,500 calories per, that adds up to 2.5 million calories worth of sugary, cheesy, bacon-dressed beef - or the creation of an additional 730 pounds of waistline jiggle.

I know Barry. I know. :hug:

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. MissLiz

MissLiz DIS Veteran

See what happens when I go to bed early??? I miss out on points!

I'm a big ol' slacker now.

Love the update! I will say that we were one of those groups with a scooter for the first 2 days. DH's grandma is 80 and my MIL thought that she'd be able to handle the scooter.

Uh, yeah, no. Friday night, as we were leaving MK, I was absolutely certain that she was going to drive that thing into Seven Seas Lagoon until my MIL grabbed the handles and forced her to turn the thing!

We had the rental company bring a wheelchair to switch it out on the 3rd morning. That was much easier!

And no, calories don't count on vacation. That's why I was the only one in my family to order the fixed price menu at Les Chefs for lunch.

Anytime we ride something that scares my 8-year-old, she ends up saying "I can't do it, Mommy. I can't do it!" right about the time we are on the ride, ready to go. That's why she always rides with Daddy now.

4. PennyLane1084

PennyLane1084 DIS Veteran

I'm totally in on this TR. The titled is what reeled me in. Also being a huge movie buff, I automatic heard Bill Murray voice in my head say "A vacation from my problems" and then giggled to myself as I thought of one of my favorite movies "What about Bob"

5. mom of 3 (or 4) boys

mom of 3 (or 4) boys Earning My Ears

Just read through...and laughed out loud at your IASW picture! Good times!
    Looking forward to more.

6. Captain_Oblivious

Captain_Oblivious DIS Dad #257

+2 :thumbsup2

And middlepat is on the board! This remains a tight race.

+1 :thumbsup2 Yes indeed, that was an SNL reference. I believe I did say a few TV quotes could be thrown in, and I already used the Grinch earlier. Now tell your wife you have priorities here! :rotfl2:

Hopefully Disney can figure out a better system. There will always be people who abuse the system and cause some resentment, but there are also a lot of people who geniunely need help getting around and should be able to enjoy the parks. But as it stands right now, they really hurt the efficiency of the bus system.

That picture appears to have struck a nerve! :laughing:

Sorry, Steve, I don't know any movies called "Peanut Butter".

I forgot to mention that I was holding out hope for the refurbishment to be taking on trennr's idea of turning the ride into It's A Small War. Just add the Buzz Lightyear guns to the boats, and maybe some depth charge effects from the Backlot Tour at Hollywood Studios, and you'd have an incredibly popular ride. Trennr is a genius! :worship:

Not that there are any easy answers. A separate bus system designed to accommodate scooters was the best I could come up with. :confused3

I like that! :rotfl:

Good job spotting the quote there. I couldn't believe how empty Philharmagic was. Maybe it terrorizes lots of other kids, too. I like it, though.

So we both love BTMRR and lots of calories! Good to have something in common! :rotfl2:

7. PennyLane1084

PennyLane1084 DIS Veteran

This movie quote made me actually laugh out loud :rotfl:
    Ahhh Airplane!!

Ok I'm hooked on this TR! Best one I've read in a while. popcorn::

Trust me, 20 years down the road Little Scotty will laugh about his horrible experience on BTMRR.

8. trennr

trennr DISDad #104

Rocky

9. Captain_Oblivious

Usually if we don't like a ride we'll say something like, "Well, at least it was air-conditioned." For me, IASW is 10 minutes in air conditioning. With that infernal song. If they don't put trennr's guns on the boats, maybe they'll at least hand out a few softballs. :stir:

Pecos Bill's is pretty good for counter-service. I think it's the same burgers you get everywhere else, but the onion rings help, and the theming is pretty cool.

We were afraid Super Colon Blow would be too much for the kids. I hear it causes stomach distension. And I'm always amazed at how quickly people jump on to catch the movie quotes! I'm trying to come up with some more obscure ones to see if they last a little longer...

Christmas lights, huh? That makes sense. In HS, it looked like the Osborne lights were already up.

It's hard not to be judgmental of other people, but it's important. I kept trying to remind myself that I don't know their circumstances or condition. It's nice to see people like you who are thoughtful of others! :thumbsup2

+1 :thumbsup2 Nice job on Kingdom of Heaven! I wasn't sure if anyone would get that one or not. By the way, if any of you ever see that movie, get the director's cut, not the theatrical version. It's a completely different (and much better) film. Now get to that RD!

:welcome:

Thanks for jumping in! I'll try and check out your TR as well.

"So why don't you just make 10 louder?" :rotfl2:

My daughter loved BTMRR at 4 years old. She was more daring at that age than either of my boys. But then again, she got a little more skittish than I thought she would be this time around, as we shall soon see.

10. trennr

trennr DISDad #104

Crud and Peanut Butter!!!

Barry...Tim is now my Nemisis too.

11. Captain_Oblivious

Aw, come on. Don't they have a sense of humor?

As far as IASW goes...uh, don't read my responses to the other comments. :rolleyes1

Hmm. Maybe I should stop complaining and just make more coffee in the morning. :hyper:

:lmao:

My rule is, if it involves big gooey cinnamon rolls, chances are that it's something I need to be involved with.

Your kids are younger and already braver than mine. :sad2: Er, mine are more cautious. Yeah, that sounds better.

You have to watch out for the ol' Oblivious Stink-eye. It's powerful. And I'm not really sure what the deal is with Philharmagic, either, since we walked right in. Do they really need to print those Fast Passes?

Yeah, I'm not getting my cholesterol checked anytime soon. By the way, as I type this I'm chowing down on pepperoni pizza. Hey, why is my left arm numb?

We've told the kids that on weekends, they can go straight downstairs and turn on the Disney Channel. That usually works. For some reason, they still feel the need to come in and announce when they need to use the bathroom. :sad2:

Scotty started to come around, ever so slightly, later in the week. Every kid is different!

Welcome aboard! Hope you enjoy the ride...

Thanks for joining us! Glad to see more movie ner--uh, buffs around! :thumbsup2

12. Captain_Oblivious

:lmao::rotfl2:

Yeah, that was a good try, Nate. But I have to give a point to Tim on that one.

Tim: +1 :thumbsup2

I wasn't even going for Rocky with the picture, but I have to reward a clear association like that.

13. momtoBrandon&Jacob

momtoBrandon&Jacob DIS Veteran

Love your report so far Mark - from one Phillies fan to another!!

14. Captain_Oblivious

[​IMG]

We saw a couple of near-misses with scooters! Some drivers were definitely more proficient than others... :rolleyes1

And no, you're not a slacker. Well ok, maybe a little. ;)

Glad to have you here! You have excellent taste in movies.

Always glad to get a laugh!

I sure hope that's the case. Otherwise, he'll be sitting in a padded room somewhere, muttering something like, "Father said I would like this."

15. Captain_Oblivious

GO PHILLIES!

16. dvczerfs

dvczerfs DIS Veteran

nice update captain. i never seen someone so upset about that stupid ride being closed!! maybe they are making the voices in the song just a bit more iratating.:lmao:

17. Belle_princess

Belle_princess DIS Veteran

"So. That went well" from your last update. . .

. . .isn't that from Princess Diaries?

Oh, and about the crane. . .er Castle Dragon. . .it is out in September and October to put up the CHristmas lights on the castle. We took the Keys to the Kingdom tour this year, and our guide said it takes about 6 weeks, I think, to get all the lights on the castle. She said the story they tell is that it is a Dragon that likes to help Cinderella decorate the castle for the holidays! :lmao:

No worries- my castle pictures have the Dragon, too.

18. Captain_Oblivious

:eek: Dave don't give them any ideas! :rotfl2: Soon we'll have Iago and teh Tiki birds singing the song.

:confused3
    No clue. I've never seen it. But I'll try and look it up and see if you're right.

Thanks for the info! I was annoyed at the crane, but FreezinRafiki did some stellar Photoshop work for me. The crane has been banished forever. Banished, genius! Into the human world!

19. trennr

trennr DISDad #104

Monsters Inc. :sulley:

20. KatMark

KatMark DIS Veteran

Okay, I'm all caught up. We were probably one of those many CRAZY people on the monorail on the 18th--as that was the day we went to the MNSSHP (our first) and it was a zoo with people coming and going.

We never had a problem with the crane when we went over Labor Day until about the 12th of September. Since we've been going later in the month the last two trips, that darn thing is always in my pictures (I have to see if I can find someone who knows how to chop it out of my pictures). I'm not sure if it is painting or them starting to put up the Christmas lights.

Mark, I love the picture of you in front of IASW...that was my reaction w hen I heard the news before we even left.

I agree with you on the Riverside Mill. Although we've never stayed at POR, we have gone over a number of times to eat there and it is great.

Poor Scotty...I hope things get better as you go along.

21. Captain_Oblivious

+1 :thumbsup2

Still amazed at how fast you guys are on these quotes.

A zoo is right! I'll assume you weren't with the guy who cut us off from the monorail. :laughing:

Sounds like the consensus on the crane is that they're hanging Christmas lights.

I hope you can at least see the level of compassion we have as Scotty's parents and nominate us for Parents of the Year. He's frightened and bawling his eyes out, and we just snap pictures of him. :rotfl2: