A Stringbean, a Wingnut, and a plan! (A January '12 PTR) TRIP REPORT STARTED!! 1/16!!

From a Thanksgiving trip.

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

From another trip, looking from the balcony toward the pool.
Wave at Jill and a baby Brooklynn down there.

P1080419.jpg

From Summer 2010.

IMG_6370.jpg

IMG_6374.jpg

IMG_6375.jpg

IMG_6376.jpg

IMG_6377.jpg

I'll stop now. Just thought it might help you picture yourself there, or you might not like that rustic feel. We do, so it works for us, but some people don't care for that theme.

Sorry can't help since about the where to stay. We have a few breakfast and dinner places picked out the same! After doing an early morning CP I now have to do it every trip. It was just so peaceful and quite to have the street to the small group of people there. Most people were in a rush to get straight to breakfast, but we took the time to walk the street and get PP photos done. One turned out to be our holiday card.

Maybe some of our days and meals will match up!

Okay, I lied, I have a few more. :upsidedow

If you will look up over the lighted reindeer over the door, that's where those out of the way sitting areas are.

DisDec2009FtWild001.jpg

If you go past the Mercantile and out the doors on the left, the arcade is on the right, and the walkway leads to the Villas.

DisDec2009FtWild002.jpg

DisDec2009FtWild004.jpg

DisDec2009FtWild006.jpg

DisDec2009FtWild007.jpg

DisDec2009FtWild008.jpg

Looking down on Artist Pointe.

DisDec2009FtWild013.jpg

Wouldn't it be wonderful to spend a little while sitting here reading or daydreaming?

DisDec2009FtWild014.jpg

Now, I think I'm done. :) Not that that is all of my WL pictures, but it gace you a good idea of what it's like.

Oh, wait!
I haven't shown you room pictures.

I'll find those in a little bit.

Be back later...:laughing:

The entrance.

IMG_0572.jpg

IMG_0573.jpg

Out on our porch. We had connecting rooms on the ground floor right over by the walkway to the beach and Villas.

IMG_0661.jpg

Movie on the beach.

IMG_0680.jpg

EWP from the beach.

IMG_0686.jpg

Our wonderful waiter, Raphael, made himself at home with my family.

IMG_0177.jpg

The rooms.

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0206.jpg

IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg

I wasn't crazy about the bedsreads, but to be honest, I don't think Disney World does a very good job on any of their bedspreads.

IMG_0214.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0216.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

Out the sliding glass door to the left was the beach, bike rentals, and the Villas.

IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_0245.jpg

From our rooms to the beach.

IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

IMG_0252.jpg

IMG_0253.jpg

In the back of the Mercantile.

IMG_0267.jpg

IMG_0269.jpg

Now I am possibly done.
Really.
Truly.
Hope that helped.
Like I said, the rustic feel may not be for you guys, but it is our style, and we felt very much at home there.

:woohoo: WOO-HOO!! A PTR! I'm working on my first PTR as well (3 months and 3 days left!), and I hope to do a great TR just like you did. I lurked on both the TR and dining report and I'm so excited to read more from the two of you!

OMG!!! Stay in the Wilderness Lodge, you will love it! It's my favorite Disney resort (I mean, I've only stayed in 4-ASMu, POR, BC and WL-but WL is special to me!)!! :lovestruc It's so beautiful, and peaceful, and I love the boat ride to MK, I love being in the MK area, which is weird, because I'm an Epcot girl, but Epcot is just a monorail ride away! :banana: I'm sure you guys would like POFQ, but I think you would love WL! I didn't want to repeat any resorts until we tried them all, and we're already going back to WL, that's how much we love it! :love:

As I'm sure you've noticed, the 2012 packages have been released (early!!! :yay::yay:), so if you heard a shriek of excitement on Sunday, well, that was just me :rolleyes1.

(Wingnut, to no one's surprise, did not shriek with excitement. :confused3;))

I began pricing out POFQ, with the dining plan options (we are probably going to go with the deluxe dining plan again on this trip. Yes, I know it's a ton of food, but well...we eat a ton of food :thumbsup2)

After those numbers were acquired, contemplations ensued again. Just for kicks, I priced out a couple more resort options (just to see how the prices compared), but told Wingnut I was pretty sure we'd be staying at POFQ nonetheless.

"Why do you say that?" he asked, checking out the resort I was mid-pricing.

"That's just what I thought the plan was" I replied, starting to get a bit excited.

"What's this one like?" Wingnut started looking at resort pictures online with me.

So friends, as you may or may not have anticipated (I didn't anticipate this at all, honestly!), another resort has entered Stringbean and Wingnut's vacation radar. It's one I've always been intrigued by, and we are definitely not set on it yet, but are still trying to decide whether it is worth it to try, or stick with POFQ.

Curious?

(a little bit of [probably unnecessary] anticipatory buildup)

Port Orleans French Quarter vs. Wilderness Lodge

Has anyone stayed there and have opinions. Really, even if you've stepped foot in the place, you've had more experience there than us! I would love to hear any thoughts!!!

I know! I saw that too, that the packages were out EARLY! I can only hope and dream that it means come discounts will soon follow...

Oh girl, if you're debating between POFQ and WL, go with the WL! I've always, always, always wanted to stay there but alas, it's not designed for families of five or more (unless we want a suite). DH drools whenever we enter that grand foyer, it's like the mother ship calling him home!

Also, I don't think the DxDP is too much food, particularly if you do some signatures. Hey, it's all about the food (and Epcot obviously :rolleyes:). Your ADR choices look great, I'm considering Kouzzina now after your stellar reviews.

Things are looking good Sara! Thanks goodness Wingnut was peering over your shoulder during your resort pricing.:thumbsup2

We love Wilderness Lodge, but we pretty much love every Disney resort, so that could be of little help.

Maybe these pictures can give you an idea of whether you would feel at home there.

Now I am possibly done.
Really.
Truly.
Hope that helped.
Like I said, the rustic feel may not be for you guys, but it is our style, and we felt very much at home there.

:worship: WOW MeMom!!!! Thank you for the awesome virtual tour of WL!!!! I love seeing your pics, the resort looks gorgeous! I can definitely see why you love staying there! :goodvibes

Sorry can't help since about the where to stay. We have a few breakfast and dinner places picked out the same! After doing an early morning CP I now have to do it every trip. It was just so peaceful and quite to have the street to the small group of people there. Most people were in a rush to get straight to breakfast, but we took the time to walk the street and get PP photos done. One turned out to be our holiday card.

Maybe some of our days and meals will match up!

That would be so fun if some of our plans matched up! I definitely want to do the early morning CP, it sounds like such a cool experience! I was wondering if PP photographers are out then before the park is actually open, you just answered my question! :yay:

:woohoo: WOO-HOO!! A PTR! I'm working on my first PTR as well (3 months and 3 days left!), and I hope to do a great TR just like you did. I lurked on both the TR and dining report and I'm so excited to read more from the two of you!

Thank you so much!!! :goodvibes Welcome, I'm glad to have you on board! :wave:

OMG!!! Stay in the Wilderness Lodge, you will love it! It's my favorite Disney resort (I mean, I've only stayed in 4-ASMu, POR, BC and WL-but WL is special to me!)!! :lovestruc It's so beautiful, and peaceful, and I love the boat ride to MK, I love being in the MK area, which is weird, because I'm an Epcot girl, but Epcot is just a monorail ride away! :banana: I'm sure you guys would like POFQ, but I think you would love WL! I didn't want to repeat any resorts until we tried them all, and we're already going back to WL, that's how much we love it! :love:

Hahaha sounds like you definitely love it there! It really does look beautiful and peaceful, but still pretty close to everything. And I saw that there's a boat to the Contemporary too? That might make getting to the monorail easy too, right?

I especially liked hearing that you love Epcot and enjoy staying there. I definitely always want to be within easy access to my favorite Worlds - Showcase and Future! :laughing:

I know! I saw that too, that the packages were out EARLY! I can only hope and dream that it means come discounts will soon follow...

Oh girl, if you're debating between POFQ and WL, go with the WL! I've always, always, always wanted to stay there but alas, it's not designed for families of five or more (unless we want a suite). DH drools whenever we enter that grand foyer, it's like the mother ship calling him home!

Also, I don't think the DxDP is too much food, particularly if you do some signatures. Hey, it's all about the food (and Epcot obviously :rolleyes:). Your ADR choices look great, I'm considering Kouzzina now after your stellar reviews.

Things are looking good Sara! Thanks goodness Wingnut was peering over your shoulder during your resort pricing.:thumbsup2

Oh I am DEFINITELY hoping the same thing about the discounts too!!! Fingers crossed...(when are they generally released????)

Boo that stinks that the room size isn't accommodating for you guys! Would you consider one of the villas at all? I feel like a "real-world-ish" sort of setup with a kitchen and laundry right there would take away the vacation vibe just a teensy bit. But I'm sure that's really convenient too!

We definitely have enjoyed doing the signature meals, and really want to do more, so the DDxP does make sense for us. But looking at it all at once does make me feel like a bit of a piggy!!! :laughing:

You should SO try Kouzzina!! Are you thinking breakfast or dinner? I've loved both there, with a slight favor towards breakfast. And I just asked Wingnut, and he said that he enjoyed the dinner slightly more, but said that the restaurant is great for both :thumbsup2.

Hahaha hopefully we make a decision soon...I'm so excited to book it! :yay:

Oh I am DEFINITELY hoping the same thing about the discounts too!!! Fingers crossed...(when are they generally released????)

I'm not entirely sure, my TA said that there's been a nice room discount (35-40% deluxes) historically every year for the last seven years. I think Mousesavers has something that addresses discount releases in past years. Do you get that newsletter?

Boo that stinks that the room size isn't accommodating for you guys! Would you consider one of the villas at all? I feel like a "real-world-ish" sort of setup with a kitchen and laundry right there would take away the vacation vibe just a teensy bit. But I'm sure that's really convenient too!

Ya, I'm kind of anti-villa for the very reason you mentioned! A kitchen area would make it feel like home and then I'd feel like I have to clean up and well, no good can come of that!

We definitely have enjoyed doing the signature meals, and really want to do more, so the DDxP does make sense for us. But looking at it all at once does make me feel like a bit of a piggy!!! :laughing:

We love signature meals too! This next trip were hitting California Grill, Narcoossee's, Le Cellier, and the Hollywood Brown Derby. Of course all of this is dependant on me actually getting an ADR first!

You should SO try Kouzzina!! Are you thinking breakfast or dinner? I've loved both there, with a slight favor towards breakfast. And I just asked Wingnut, and he said that he enjoyed the dinner slightly more, but said that the restaurant is great for both :thumbsup2.

I'm soooo tempted to try it! I like new places and it seems they handle food allergies well here too. Breakfast is actually my favorite meal of the day so maybe that would be a good choice.:thumbsup2

Hahaha hopefully we make a decision soon...I'm so excited to book it! :yay:

Soooo, did you decide on the WL then?? It's probably smart that you waited to book. I went ahead and booked two weeks ago, a room only reservation. Then the new packages came out EARLY so I had to cancel that ressie and rebook a package. So dumb because they have to refund me my original deposit which takes a couple of weeks but then they charge my new deposit right away. Ok, that was much too wordy!:laughing:

I'm not entirely sure, my TA said that there's been a nice room discount (35-40% deluxes) historically every year for the last seven years. I think Mousesavers has something that addresses discount releases in past years. Do you get that newsletter?

That is a nice room discount! Is that for January, or just overall historically? I've been on the moussavers site, but didn't know they had a newsletter! More Disney info to read!!! :thumbsup2:laughing:

Ya, I'm kind of anti-villa for the very reason you mentioned! A kitchen area would make it feel like home and then I'd feel like I have to clean up and well, no good can come of that!

Hahaha yeah, I like to be as detached as possible from real world stuff like a dishwasher and laundry machines when at Disney. :rotfl:

We love signature meals too! This next trip were hitting California Grill, Narcoossee's, Le Cellier, and the Hollywood Brown Derby. Of course all of this is dependant on me actually getting an ADR first!

Hahaha I know, I'm over here going "we're going to Artist Point, and California Grill...". No. We just WANT to go to those places at this point! If I visualize the ADR's, does that mean that they'll come true? :laughing: Are you doing the DDxP too?

I'm soooo tempted to try it! I like new places and it seems they handle food allergies well here too. Breakfast is actually my favorite meal of the day so maybe that would be a good choice.:thumbsup2

Kouzzina has definitely been great with my food allergies, I'm sure that they'll be wonderful with you as well! It's nice there for breakfast, they have some basic things, but some more unique items as well. I like menus like that. Like you can be all awesome and adventurous, but if you're just really feeling pancakes, they're there too :goodvibes

Soooo, did you decide on the WL then?? It's probably smart that you waited to book. I went ahead and booked two weeks ago, a room only reservation. Then the new packages came out EARLY so I had to cancel that ressie and rebook a package. So dumb because they have to refund me my original deposit which takes a couple of weeks but then they charge my new deposit right away. Ok, that was much too wordy!:laughing:

Argh, no definite final decision yet! But it's starting to lean back in the direction of POFQ, at least until we're able to see what discounts and codes are offered (not just theorizing about them!). We'll see though. I'm like a metronome when it comes to making decisions :rotfl:.

So you changed your room-only to a package now? Just when we think we've got Disney all figured out, they go and switch things up, right? :laughing: Are you all set now?

I've been to both resorts but only stayed at WL. I have to say, I loved it there. Like MeMom said, if you like that rustic, log cabin feel, its fantastic. You have to boat launch to MK (I know you guys are Epcot people but the TTC is not to far away either! :rotfl: I didn't care too much for POFQ because I don't really like that New Orleans/Mardi Gras feel but thats just me. The theming there is great too though!

I would love to post some pictures of WL now, but I obviously can't. VWL is one of my home resorts, so clearly I am fond of the place. I have only stayed in the villas.

I have to admit that its a little strange to stay someplace that's not beachy while in Florida, but this resort has some wonderful assests.

1. The boat ride - lovely
2. The grounds and the geyser - so unique.
4. The pools - again - really cool.
5. Ranger Joe - my favorite. He is awesome and if you do nothing else you must take the lodge tour with him. It's offered most days at 0900 and is so interesting and informative.
6. Artist Point - one of my favorite all around dining experiences. Going back in December.
7. Running around the lake and to Fort Wilderness - OK - I know you guys don't run, but I really enjoyed this.

I've been to both resorts but only stayed at WL. I have to say, I loved it there. Like MeMom said, if you like that rustic, log cabin feel, its fantastic. You have to boat launch to MK (I know you guys are Epcot people but the TTC is not to far away either! :rotfl: I didn't care too much for POFQ because I don't really like that New Orleans/Mardi Gras feel but thats just me. The theming there is great too though!

Both themes definitely look like fun! Hahaha, don't worry, I already looked into being able to easily get to Epcot!! :rotfl: (Priorities are in order!)

I think the only part of the theme at POFQ that would bug me are the giant masks leering down at you in Sassagoula Floatworks. I'd feel like I was being watched :laughing:.

I would love to post some pictures of WL now, but I obviously can't. VWL is one of my home resorts, so clearly I am fond of the place. I have only stayed in the villas.

I have to admit that its a little strange to stay someplace that's not beachy while in Florida, but this resort has some wonderful assests.

1. The boat ride - lovely
2. The grounds and the geyser - so unique.
4. The pools - again - really cool.
5. Ranger Joe - my favorite. He is awesome and if you do nothing else you must take the lodge tour with him. It's offered most days at 0900 and is so interesting and informative.
6. Artist Point - one of my favorite all around dining experiences. Going back in December.
7. Running around the lake and to Fort Wilderness - OK - I know you guys don't run, but I really enjoyed this.

I'd love to see your pics of WL! I think part of the resort that intrigues me is that it isn't all beachy, it seems like such a fun departure from the Floridian norm!

Your Top 7 Must Do's definitely sound great! Although, yes, you did assess Wingnut and I correctly in that we are not runners (pretty much the only thing we run regularly is the dishwasher :laughing:). But I wouldn't mind a lovely stroll!

So you changed your room-only to a package now? Just when we think we've got Disney all figured out, they go and switch things up, right? :laughing: Are you all set now?

Sara, can you believe I just canceled my Disney vacation? My FIL is doing poorly and he was to have come with us in January 2012. Everything is in limbo so that we can figure out what's ailing him.

So it sounds like you and Wingnut are leaning towards POR then? Decisions, decisions!

Sara, can you believe I just canceled my Disney vacation? My FIL is doing poorly and he was to have come with us in January 2012. Everything is in limbo so that we can figure out what's ailing him.

So it sounds like you and Wingnut are leaning towards POR then? Decisions, decisions!

Oh Molly, I'm so sorry to hear this!! I hope your FIL gets some answers and is feeling better soon! :hug::hug::hug:

Most likely, maybe, we'll see...lol. I think we're going to wait until JetBlue releases its schedule, then we'll definitely (maybe) see where we're at. :laughing:

First off, thank you again to everyone for your fantastic resort input!!! :grouphug:

I'll admit, Wilderness Lodge does have me very interested, however, at this point we are most likely going to book POFQ. (Unless a super-awesome discount is released...:teeth:)

Anyways, we're waiting to book until JetBlue extends their schedule - right now you're only able to book flights through 1/3/12 - and supposedly that should happen around the end of this month, so I'll be obsessively checking their site several times a day until then.

Oh, and the park hours, them too. Is it asking too much of Disney for me to be able to plan out my ADR's before the booking window opens? I think they like driving me nuts on purpose.

Speaking of ADR's, here are some of the places we are considering for lunch...

Liberty Tree Tavern

Wingnut nor I have ever been here, but it seems like a nice lunch stop in the MK. I'm intrigued by the Tavern Fried Cheese, but Wingnut seems perturbed by the cheddar curds :laughing:.

Sanaa

Inevitably, our trips turn into "how many times can we travel to Animal Kingdom Lodge for meals while visiting Animal Kingdom as few times as possible?" :rotfl:. Last trip was 3, and if we go to Sanaa, this will be 3 as well. Wingnut has definitely been wanting to go to Sanaa, and since I continue to deny his requests to eat at Restaurant Marrakesh, I figure I'll throw him this dining bone.

Beaches and Cream

This was the first meal of our previous trip, and we both loved it here. The atmosphere is so adorable and charming, and they have enough non-dairy options to make this lactose intolerant girl quite thrilled.

This is a non-dairy malt. I had no idea that was even possible. :wizard:

(Yes, there is whipped cream on that, which has dairy. Small doses are okay with whatever part of my body loathes the lactose, and I prioritize those bits into the important dairy facets such as whipped cream.)

We don't have a lot of lunches planned out, partly because breakfasts and dinners are bigger dining priorities, and partly because we're good with counter service for lunches where we end up. I'd love to give Columbia Harbour House a try this trip (we missed it last time).

I'm beginning to contemplate switching out our Le Cellier for a different dinner. People haven't seemed wonderfully impressed with it lately, and "salty" is a description I've heard more than several times. I'd definitely rather eat somewhere not unimpressive or overly salty, given the choice. :laughing:

Potentials on our ADR list right now are two repeats: Rose and Crown and La Hacienda. Perhaps one of these two can take the place of Le Cellier, and we'd then have an extra credit to use towards a lunch.

This would all be quite a bit easier to work out given some park hours...:laughing:

Do you know that I've never been to AKL AT ALL?!? Not to sleep, not to eat, nothing. But you always amaze me with your dedication to find a way to eat there (and eat here again. and again.).

We've never been to Le Cellier, but DH and I have a dinner ressie there for September. I've been reading that whole "salty" business lately, too. Now, I love me some salty foods, but I'm kind of getting scared...is it THAT overwhelming? Should I change our date night ADR? AHHHH!!!

I haven't mentioned this elsewhere, but my younger daughter (age 3) is in the middle of billions of GI tests right now to figure out what is going on with her digestive tract. We know it's not wheat. We know it's not CF. Might just be milk or other allergies making her intestines inflamed. If it's milk, I'm SO HAPPY that I know about those dairy-less malts because of your TR/PTR.:goodvibes

Do you know that I've never been to AKL AT ALL?!? Not to sleep, not to eat, nothing. But you always amaze me with your dedication to find a way to eat there (and eat here again. and again.).

We've never been to Le Cellier, but DH and I have a dinner ressie there for September. I've been reading that whole "salty" business lately, too. Now, I love me some salty foods, but I'm kind of getting scared...is it THAT overwhelming? Should I change our date night ADR? AHHHH!!!

I haven't mentioned this elsewhere, but my younger daughter (age 3) is in the middle of billions of GI tests right now to figure out what is going on with her digestive tract. We know it's not wheat. We know it's not CF. Might just be milk or other allergies making her intestines inflamed. If it's milk, I'm SO HAPPY that I know about those dairy-less malts because of your TR/PTR.:goodvibes

I don't know how I'd feel about actually staying at AKL - we do love the restaurants there, but it seems a bit distant from the parks we enjoy visiting. But Boma and Jiko are so great, we especially love Boma's breakfast and Jiko for dinner. Actually, I suggest Jiko for a date night ADR! (If you do decide to cancel Le Cellier.) The atmosphere there is wonderful, and the food is fantastic.

It really is too bad about what I've been reading from Le Cellier lately. I remember loving that Cheddar Cheese soup, but I'm not sure if it's worth it! Nothing like reading dining reviews to totally make you doubt all of your ADRs! :laughing:

Oh man, allergy testing stinks! I hope the answer is figured out soon and your daughter is able to eat what she wants (or at least a good substitute!). I will say, if it is milk, there are SO many options out there for substitutes (not just in Disney!). In Disney, there are so many places with soy milk and other options - if milk does end up being the culprit, please let me know! I have a whole list of places in the parks that have milk substitutes (and non-dairy ice cream too!)

Sanaa:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 I loved that meal and the customer service was absolutely superb. Plus the restaurant is so freakin cool inside. I vote for that.

I also love LTT for lunch. I just made a lunch ADR there for December.

Interestingly I could not make a R&C ADR because they must have it all blocked out for the candlelight processional packages. I plan to check back.

I think in January you might have a good chance of getting a nice package at WL. Do you book through Disney or use a TA. I know I really good AAA TA who will automatically rebook your package when a code is released. She is awesome.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter