A Private, Romantic 30th Anniversary Trip- Just Ask My Friends! Last Afternoon: EP p. 37 9/19

DH always wears orange bands, too. But his bands are getting old, since we have been declining them lately and so we got a fresh one for him. This was my first orange band and I needed it for my really cute Rapunzel MB cover. ;)

I'm like you, a math person and a tightwad. ;) I've been buying the Target gift cards lately for these trips. But I am mad that I spent the extra money for a Tables in Wonderland card before I knew that the new 20% AP discount would have been good enough.

Yay for new bands! I have a "smallish" collection. A gray from the class trip, two orange and a blue.

Yikes! That is frustrating about the duplication of savings, but at least the 20% AP discount seems to cover a lot more things now.

:thumbsup2

We didn't videotape our wedding either as we didn't want to be self conscious on the day ( & we may have penniless) but I love Mark's romantic comment. I can only just imagine a romantic comment regarding murder/suicide!! Lol

Might as well tell the story. I seem to be spilling all of the family secrets. :ssst:

Nate was a fertility baby, which means there was a very real possibility for us to have multiples. My first ultrasound was on the day the McCaughey Septuplets were born. But we were relieved that we just had one baby. About a month after he was born, we were watching a special on multiples and how difficult it was to raise 3 babies at once. This was during that hellish new parent stage- no sleep, self-doubt period.

Mark turned to me and said "If we had triplets, I would kill myself. But I would kill you first because I love you so much and wouldn't want to leave all that work to you"

Kinda warms the heart, don't it!

:lovestruc

Gee, video-taping our wedding was not an option back in those days 39 years ago (at least not one we could afford). Guess we were lucky.
Katesdad

Yeah, it was a pricey option for us too. We were still in college when we got married (in between our Junior and Senior year) and my parents helped with the wedding, but money was a concern.

We really did have an amazing day and there is no proof otherwise!

:laughing:

It was quite new here at the time when we got married but like I said, not something we were willing to spend money on Mind you our wedding was essentially our relations and parents friends ( my husband and I had a total of 8 friends there out of 107 guests) and I had to beg the priest to put the wedding mass on at 11am instead of 10am! The whole thing was done and dusted by 6.30pm. I had much more fun at my daughter's wedding which started at 1pm and went in until the wee small hours ❤️

Weddings can really be stressful for the bride and groom, so sometimes being a guest can be a lot more relaxing and fun!

party:

Last edited:
Sunday October 16: “Scare” in the Air!

The day of our trip was here!

Our flight was at 6:30 am from the Manchester, NH airport, about 45 minutes from where we live.

I’m always up much later than I should be the night before a trip, trying to get last minute things done. This time, it was attempting to get caught up on the BC/YC FAQ thread. I was determined to update the Be Our Guest list before I left.

I think I got to bed around 10:30 pm, and our alarm was set for 3:30 am. By 4, we were on the road and arrived at the airport a little before 5. When we got into the terminal we walked through a large group of people who were there holding signs, American flags and bagpipes. They were there for the arrival of a plane carrying members of the military- the name of the group that greets flights escapes me. Out of respect, I didn’t take a picture of the group. I was glad we were continuing on to security and our gate before the bagpipers started playing at that early hour, though. We did hear when they started playing before we boarded our plane. Small airport!

coolerbag.jpg

I love to take this little cooler bag on vacation. On most trips, I use it to cushion my “big girl camera” since my regular camera bag is too bulky and I want to keep the good camera with me instead of checking it. On my trip from Teena’s house, I used the bag to transport my lunch for the flight home.

If you didn’t catch the installment in my last trip report, read about it here: Thank you Random Ice Pack Stranger

We got through security without incident, however I had to laugh when one of the agents asked if I have an ice pack in my bag. No lie. They are onto me!

First order of business after getting to our gate was breakfast. Mark and I were shocked that there was no line at the Dunkin Donuts counter- it is always busy when we fly, but usually we are leaving from the much busier Logan Airport in Boston. I ordered a Big and Toasted sandwich and a small, black coffee.

“What do you want in your coffee?”

Seriously?

Mark got an iced coffee and he pointed out something we had seen on a commercial- a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup donut- chocolate topping and peanut butter crème filling.

WP_20161016_001.jpg

It was not as great as it sounded.

We split everything, because that is what we do. We love sampling a little bit of a variety of food, so we knew we were in for a treat at Food & Wine.

We didn’t have any of the Southwest boarding drama when it was time to line up. As an anniversary gift to Mark, I coughed up the money for early boarding numbers. He HATES the cattle call. We had A16 and A17. I took the first row I found with a window seat- 4th row I believe.

WP_20161016_004.jpg

“Scare” in the Air

Literally, the nightmares I have before any vacation usually revolve around forgetting to bring my camera, my phone and/or their chargers.

The first thing I usually do when I am settled into my seat on the plane is take out my camera so I can take pictures from the plane.

My go-to camera is a Fuji XP point & shoot. It is waterproof, so I can take it when I go to the pool or when I am at the beach. The problem with this type of camera is that at some point the seals on the camera fail, water leaks in and the camera dies. Kind of like a game of Russian Roulette- you never know when it is going to stop working. The last time I used this camera was on a trip to the beach.

I love this camera so much that despite the risk, I purchased a backup when it went on sale at Sam’s Club. I usually take both on the trip, but for some reason, I left the blue one behind. I think I figured since I have the Fuji as well as the Canon DSLR and my phone which I have been using more frequently for photos, that I wouldn’t need it. I forgot that the backup battery was in that camera and that I don’t have an external charger- the only way to charge the battery is by plugging in the camera, so I can only do that overnight unless I have the second camera with me.

cameras.jpg

I push the on button for the camera I brought. Nothing!

I open up the battery housing, remove the battery, put it back in and attempt to turn it on again. Nada!

I’m not sure if the camera is dead (not charged) or dead dead. Why didn’t I bring the backup Fuji?!? I am now down to two cameras, neither of them waterproof, but I do my best to convince myself it will be alright. I won’t know if the camera is ok until we get into our room and I have a chance to attempt to charge it.

The scenery outside the plane window is beautiful. There is a full moon and a spectacular sunrise-

Camera 2 and Camera 3- “Suit up!”

IMG_7861.jpg

IMG_7862.jpg

IMG_7863.jpg

As we were approaching Orlando, the skies looked dark and we could even see where it was raining:

WP_20161016_012.jpg

I texted Ben when our plane touched down:

9:17 Landed

9:23 OK. I’m still alive.

With that reassuring news, we made our way onto the Faux-No-Rail and to Magical Express.

WP_20161016_013.jpg

We were loaded onto the bus pretty quickly, it was mostly full, so we got seats near the back. The bus left soon after we were seated.

Here’s my “arch” picture. Not bad considering where we were on the bus.

WP_20161016_015.jpg

I timed the ride from when we left the MCO at 9:51 , stops at Caribbean Beach, Boardwalk Inn, Beach Club to our arrival at Yacht Club at 10:38- a total of 47 minutes. Not bad.

IMG_7987.jpg

Next Up: “Welcome Home!” (sort of) and Walking RIGHT down the middle of Main Street USA!

Last edited:
There's nothing better than getting from take-off to resort in just over 4 hours! It's a whirlwind, we know, but that's all part of the adventure. Nice shots of the moon and sunrise.

You're off to a great start:) Well, except for the point and shoot camera :(
Breakfast looks tasty- it's a shame it didn't meet your expectations:( but hey, you survived the flight, so that's a relief!

Those sunrise photos are stunning :sunny:

I laughed when I read your romantic baby story. Mark really is a sensitive soul and it's nice to know he wasn't jumping ship and leaving you to cope alone :rotfl2::goodvibes:thumbsup2

Last edited:
The Reese's peanut butter thing looks huge.

You seem to be very happy to be flying with just Mark. :). I'm glad that Ben was still alive. ;)

You made it to the YC in record time. On our last trip our ME sat at CBR forever waiting for another ME bus to clear out.

You could always get me back by trying to explain the US/Canadian Dollar exchange to me.

A little spoiler alert, since I can't remember when this happened but at one point Mark said (with surprise)

"You have nice friends"

Duh! Of course I do!

:grouphug:

Tell him we just put on our nice side so that we can sucker him in to travelling with us again. Next time, we will let our true personalities out. :)

And as for the US/Canadian dollar, I'll just simplify it by warning you not to buy books.

Might as well tell the story. I seem to be spilling all of the family secrets.

Nate was a fertility baby, which means there was a very real possibility for us to have multiples. My first ultrasound was on the day the McCough Septuplets were born. But we were relieved that we just had one baby. About a month after he was born, we were watching a special on multiples and how difficult it was to raise 3 babies at once. This was during that hellish new parent stage- no sleep, self-doubt period.

Mark turned to me and said "If we had triplets, I would kill myself. But I would kill you first because I love you so much and wouldn't want to leave all that work to you"

Kinda warms the heart, don't it!

:lovestruc

That truly is one of the nicest things someone could say. :)

I love the pictures from the plane. Very nice!

I agree about the Reese's donut. Disappointing. Enjoying your report and looking forward to the rest. Hope the camera situation works out. I mostly used my phone this last trip - more out of laziness than anything else. I carried my camera in my bag everywhere but just didn't use it much. Good intentions but ....

Congratulations and Happy Anniversary on 30 years. I've read several of your trip reports and am looking forward to this one. One day I'll get to the food and wine festival. I just love sampling.

Thank you.

Not too bad. But for me it was panic-inducing.

Coming up.

::yes::

Yikes.

My worst in flight experience was an aborted landing at Newark when we came back from New Orleans a few years ago. We were only feet from touch down and pulled up hard and had to circle around again for 15 minutes. Lots of very shocked folks on board.

They really are onto you with the ice pack!

Oh camera drama, I feel ya. I need to buy a back up battery for my DSLR. I am excited to get my new iPhone 7+ with the dual camera, that should take some great shots for a phone.

Glad the flight went well and that you got to YC no problem.

A little late but I made it. I've been looking forward to hearing about this trip. The last time DH and I went to Disney alone was 2009 for our 13th anniversary- I know not a milestone or anything. We had a blast! We were upgraded to a turret (spelling??) room and club level @ the GR. It was amazing!!
We are off to F & W on Thursday for the long weekend with the boys. DH and I will be taking a mom & dad only trip in December. It was my birthday gift. My b-day is usually Labor Day weekend- a difficult time for a teacher to take a trip. Boo!!!

There's nothing better than getting from take-off to resort in just over 4 hours! It's a whirlwind, we know, but that's all part of the adventure. Nice shots of the moon and sunrise.

I'm certainly not complaining!

The moon was visible for a very long time and it was just so beautiful!

:goodvibes

You're off to a great start:) Well, except for the point and shoot camera :(
Breakfast looks tasty- it's a shame it didn't meet your expectations:( but hey, you survived the flight, so that's a relief!

Those sunrise photos are stunning :sunny:

I laughed when I read your romantic baby story. Mark really is a sensitive soul and it's nice to know he wasn't jumping ship and leaving you to cope alone :rotfl2::goodvibes:thumbsup2

I think the worst thing about the issue with the camera is that I was kicking myself because it would have been so easy for me just to bring the other camera too.

The pastry wasn't terrible, but I don't think it was worth the calories I'm sure were involved.

I truly think back on that story and take it to heart that it is proof that he loves me a lot.

The Reese's peanut butter thing looks huge.

You seem to be very happy to be flying with just Mark. :). I'm glad that Ben was still alive. ;)

You made it to the YC in record time. On our last trip our ME sat at CBR forever waiting for another ME bus to clear out.

The pastry was very big, larger than a traditional filled donut.

We had a great flight. That is the way we typically fly as a family, though. Mark and I are in the center and window seats and the boys sit behind us in the center and window (Nate and I both take the window)

Yes, it was quite a relief to get that message from him.

He has some of the funniest texts!
:lmao:

I was glad the bus left right away. On my DIS meet trip in August 2014, I sat on the bus for around 30 minutes and just missed getting to see Teena in the lobby by about 10 minutes.

:(

Tell him we just put on our nice side so that we can sucker him in to travelling with us again. Next time, we will let our true personalities out. :)

And as for the US/Canadian dollar, I'll just simplify it by warning you not to buy books.

:rotfl2:

I may leave out the detail about your true personalities out of my conversations with him.

Warning noted!

:eek:

That truly is one of the nicest things someone could say. :)

I love the pictures from the plane. Very nice!

Isn't it, though???

Mark gets a little annoyed when I take a lot of pictures from the plane, but the view was absolutely gorgeous. I couldn't stop.

:sad2:

I agree about the Reese's donut. Disappointing. Enjoying your report and looking forward to the rest. Hope the camera situation works out. I mostly used my phone this last trip - more out of laziness than anything else. I carried my camera in my bag everywhere but just didn't use it much. Good intentions but ....

:welcome:

Thanks for your kind words.

Yeah, that's exactly the description. Disappointing. I would have been happier with a Boston Cream.

I was holding out hope that the camera just needed to be charged, but I mentally prepared myself that I could make due with my phone and DSLR if necessary.

I like the point & shoot because it is compact and I don't have to worry if it gets wet in the rain or the pool.

When we took our trip of a lifetime to Disneyland and Hawaii for 2 weeks I took out my DSLR exactly once!

:upsidedow

Looking forward to hearing more about your trip!

So happy to have you along!

:goodvibes

The camera nerd is checking in. Keep 'em coming!

~NM

Wouldn't be the same with out you!

I'll write and post as quickly as I can because I know the consequences if I don't....

:scared1:

Congratulations and Happy Anniversary on 30 years. I've read several of your trip reports and am looking forward to this one. One day I'll get to the food and wine festival. I just love sampling.

:welcome: back!

I appreciate the happy anniversary wishes.

I can't believe it has taken us this long to go to Food & Wine, but with the kids' school schedules, October is a hard time to get away with them.

We love sampling and we are very adventurous eaters. Food & Wine was perfect for us!

:thumbsup2

Love all the pics you did make great time.

Thank you!

It was pretty smooth "sailing" that morning.

Glad you like the photos.

A little late but I made it. I've been looking forward to hearing about this trip. The last time DH and I went to Disney alone was 2009 for our 13th anniversary- I know not a milestone or anything. We had a blast! We were upgraded to a turret (spelling??) room and club level @ the GR. It was amazing!!
We are off to F & W on Thursday for the long weekend with the boys. DH and I will be taking a mom & dad only trip in December. It was my birthday gift. My b-day is usually Labor Day weekend- a difficult time for a teacher to take a trip. Boo!!!

So glad to have you reading along.

Our last trip to Disney as just a couple was before Nate was born, so it was probably 20 years ago. Disney was our travelling destination of choice for awhile, then we got hooked on the Caribbean, then Nate and Ben came along and we have shared our love for travel to those places (and more) with them. But it was indescribably wonderful to be on a trip that was "just the two of us".

AWESOME upgrade!!!

Have a blast at Food & Wine and on your December trip.

Can't wait to hear what you like at the festival.

:woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter