• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A Private, Romantic 30th Anniversary Trip- Just Ask My Friends! Last Afternoon: EP p. 37 9/19

He has been working 3rd shift for almost 12 years now. Plus he has a 45 minute commute each way (this would be almost 90 minutes if it was day shift). I could never do it.

Most folks think I am crazy when I say that we only sleep together two nights a week and our bed is used about 16 hours a day (half at a time) o_O

That can't be easy, but you do what you gotta do!

I think I said this, but Mark was on 3rd shift for 3 years when we were first married. We were both young, and made it work. But getting laid off from that job was the best thing for him. He went from using his the electrical engineering degree to the computer engineering component and has done very well in that career path.

Although he has a 2 hour commute each way now. UGH!

:headache:

Last edited:
That can't be easy, but you do what you gotta do!

I think I said this, but Mark was on 3rd shift for 3 years when we were first married. We were both young, and made it work. But getting laid off from that job was the best thing for him. He went from using his the electrical engineering degree to the computer engineering component and has done very well in that career path.

Although he has a 2 hour commute each way now. UGH!

Ouch that is a heck of a commute.

Mike also does computers but he is on the IT side. His company is worldwide so he deals with folks from Singapore to Switzerland.

I know I am repeating everyone else, but man oh man, that pool looks pretty nice. I think most of us wish we were hanging out in a lounge chair there right about now.

Glad your beverage choice paid off. It's hard to try new things once you find something you like, but it sounds like you weren't disappointed with the risk!

Ouch that is a heck of a commute.

Mike also does computers but he is on the IT side. His company is worldwide so he deals with folks from Singapore to Switzerland.

Yeah, it sucks. Mark leaves the house at 4:45 every morning and doesn't get home until 6 if he takes the early train or 6:40 if he takes the later one.

I guess that makes sense that your DH has to work the overnight hours due to the overseas time difference. Does he ever have to travel for work?

:goodvibes

I know I am repeating everyone else, but man oh man, that pool looks pretty nice. I think most of us wish we were hanging out in a lounge chair there right about now.

Glad your beverage choice paid off. It's hard to try new things once you find something you like, but it sounds like you weren't disappointed with the risk!

I wouldn't turn my nose up at the pool this winter!

We don't drink much, but we are not fussy at all, so it didn't worry us to try something a little different.

:drinking1

Celebrating the Gift(s) of Friendship at Kona

The timing of our anniversary trip was perfect in so many ways.

The probability of decent weather- our past trips have been in summer (Hot! Hot! Hot! And rainy :umbrella: ) or during winter break (BRRRR!!!! :cold:) We were looking forward to being comfortable in shorts and walking around without sweating up a storm.

Food & Wine

Fall Decorations and Halloween Party

But one of the best reasons for me was that many of my friends would be there at the same time!

Ninjamom, Nannette, Janet

Missy & Franklin

Rosa & Carlos

We decided that the best opportunity to get together would be dinner followed by going up to the Top of the World lounge to watch Wishes.

Tonight was the night!

When I made our dining reservations, one of them was Kona Café for 10 people. The two of us, the friends listed above, and our friend Lauren who lives in Florida and had met us at a couple of our past Beach Club DIS meets.

Our number kept ebbing and flowing.

Missy & Franklin were in originally, but then adjusted their plans when there were credible, but ultimately incorrect rumors that Rivers of Light might be previewing to Annual Passholders.

Rosa & Carlos were going to join us on the last night of their trip because the friends they were traveling with were going to be leaving earlier. Then they decided to stay, I think, so Rosa and Carlos were out.

Lauren was flying home from a college reunion in Pennsylvania that afternoon. We were hoping she would be able to make it to the Poly in time for our dinner.

It turns out Lauren was not the one we had to worry about getting there in time.

After our time at the pool and getting ready, we stopped by the club lounge when it opened at 5. I wanted to take some pictures of the appetizer options.

Our plan was to take the MK bus from the Yacht Club and then either take the resort boat or the monorail to the Poly.

We had never used the resort boat, so we decided to try that. We went out on the dock and there were a few people waiting for a boat. Perhaps one had just come. We waited. And waited. No boat in sight coming to pick us up. I started getting nervous and asked Mark if we should bail and use the monorail, which has never failed us.

He left it up to me to decide.

I chose poorly!

We walked to monorail and a line had formed on the ramp to the loading platform. I have never been in crowd that large for the monorail. But once we had made the decision, we didn’t want to go back.

We waited while at least 3 monorails loaded and left.

We were able to see the resort boat arrive at the dock while we were waiting.

At 4:27 Lauren had texted me that her plane had landed early and once she collected her luggage, she would have no problem getting to the Poly by 6:30.

It was now 6:10 and Lauren texted me to say she had arrived and was waiting in the Poly lobby. I replied to her

“Waiting to board resort monorail”

It was finally our turn to board a very crowded monorail. It was uncomfortable and as I recall, our fellow passengers were not pleasant. I can't remember exactly what they were doing that was annoying, but it was the worst experience we have ever had on the monorail, probably compounded with the fact I was so nervous about being late.

6:30 “At Contemporary now. See you soon”

When we got there, I believe Nannette, Janet and ~Ninja had all arrived and met up with Lauren.

I explained to the hostess that only 6 of our 10 diners were able to make it that night. That did not turn out to be a problem.

We were seated and our waiter Tayler took our orders and took our crap. OK, ~Ninja’s crap. (Just kidding)

We joked around but went pretty easy on him. He was great, by the way. He gave each of us separate checks and applied the 20% Annual Pass discount to all of them!

OK, can you shut up now and show some pictures of the food???

Why, yes, I can!

Mark and I split these two things:

WP_20161017_100.jpg

Tuna Poke - Traditional Hawaiian Poke Salad - $13.00

WP_20161017_095.jpg

Pan-seared Taal Chicken - with Roasted Root Vegetables and Coconut-Curry Sauce - $21.00

Lauren:

WP_20161017_098.jpg

Pan-Asian Noodles - Yakisoba Noodles, Wok-seared with Vegetables and your choice of Chicken or Tofu in a Ginger- Garlic Sauce - $19.00

WP_20161017_096.jpg

Sticky Wings - Glazed Chicken Wings with tangy Mustard Drizzle and Toasted Sesame Seeds - $10.00
~NinjaMom sold separately

Nannette:

WP_20161017_097.jpg

Grilled New York Strip - served with Roasted Fingerling Potatoes, Seasonal Vegetables and Molasses-Bacon Butter - $34.00

Janet:

WP_20161017_099.jpg

Shrimp Tempura Roll - Tempura Shrimp and fresh Mango served with Liliko'i Sauce - $15.00

Of course, we needed the obligatory picture of us all together, or it didn’t happen! (Does that also mean the calories don’t count???)

WP_20161017_102.jpg

But we weren’t done with our meal yet! Dessert of course.

I had ordered a custom cake for

*SURPRISE*!!!

party:

A Nanu shower for Nannette, who was expecting her first grandchild, Sloan, in December.

We had brought a few small gifts (Rosa, who works for a toy company had given me a couple of things to give to Nannette)

I just looked up what I ordered from the Private Dining Cake Hotline-

Chocolate Cake
White Chocolate Mousse
Vanilla Buttercream

I asked them to write "Welcome Sloan, Congratulations Nanu" in Pink writing, but I guess they didn't exactly get the message. I didn't notice that until now!!!

The cake was super yummy, but there was WAY too much for just the 6 of us.

Fortunately, everyone was willing to take some with them, so Tayler brought us some boxes.

Unfortunately, the boxes didn’t close well and someone said “Too bad we don’t have any tape”

“I have tape!”

I had brought along some tape, scissors and wrapping paper along with some small gifts in case someone didn’t have one.

My friends were amused but not necessarily surprised that I had come prepared.

Nannette was not the only one who went home empty handed…

Our crafty and talented friend Janet gave me these mittens that she designed and knit.

I love them, and her thoughtful generosity!

It was starting to get late, so Lauren said her goodbyes and headed home. This would seem to be a good wrap up for the day, but we still had a spectacular night cap on tap.

Next Up: Top of the World

Last edited:
Yeah, it sucks. Mark leaves the house at 4:45 every morning and doesn't get home until 6 if he takes the early train or 6:40 if he takes the later one.

I guess that makes sense that your DH has to work the overnight hours due to the overseas time difference. Does he ever have to travel for work?

He has traveled a few different times every few years with computer upgrades for their out ports. He has been to Costa Mesa, Houston, New Orleans (very jealous of that one), and Norfolk in just over a year.

Mike leaves house at 10:45 pm, gets in at 11:30. Supposed to get out at 8 am (usually 8:20 to 9). Then the 45 minutes home.

Mike used to have the longer days like Mark when he worked in NYC.

That's too bad it took so long to get to the Poly, but glad you made it on time. I'm a great second guesser when it comes to travel options.

What a nice get together! All of your meals looked delicious. That New York Strip at Kona is my son-in-law's favorite meal in Disney. I still haven't had dinner there, only breakfast.

Yikes, that's a stressful traveling recap. I think most of us choose wrong when given the opportunity. It never fails...But you made it and no harm no foul. Besides, it wasn't like you were late to a CRT ADR. Kona is a favorite restaurant of mine, personally, but it's not one you gotta nab at 180 days out or else.

That cake sounds delicious, and how nice of you all to celebrate an impending grandparent-hood.
Those mittens are adorable!

I can't wait to hear about your Wishes experience from the lounge.

That's too bad it took so long to get to the Poly, but glad you made it on time. I'm a great second guesser when it comes to travel options.

What a nice get together! All of your meals looked delicious. That New York Strip at Kona is my son-in-law's favorite meal in Disney. I still haven't had dinner there, only breakfast.

We were able to see the resort boat arrive at the dock while we were waiting for the monorail.

We have had all 3 meals at Kona. One of our favorites. I prefer to dine at places that are a bit exotic, where you can find choices not readily available in real life.

::yes::

Yikes, that's a stressful traveling recap. I think most of us choose wrong when given the opportunity. It never fails...But you made it and no harm no foul. Besides, it wasn't like you were late to a CRT ADR. Kona is a favorite restaurant of mine, personally, but it's not one you gotta nab at 180 days out or else.

That cake sounds delicious, and how nice of you all to celebrate an impending grandparent-hood.
Those mittens are adorable!

I can't wait to hear about your Wishes experience from the lounge.

Kona is definitely not a 180 day restaurant. We have made last minute reservations there a few times. And even if you are late for a reservation, they don't give you the extra wait penalty like Ohana does. I have been subject to that!

The cake was delicious. But now I am kind of annoyed that my decoration requests were not honored. The cake was not exactly inexpensive. I didn't notice at the time since I was distracted having fun with my friends and making sure Mark was not left out.

I am so touched by the thoughtful gift!

:thumbsup2

I chose poorly!

We walked to monorail and a line had formed on the ramp to the loading platform. I have never been in crowd that large for the monorail. But once we had made the decision, we didn’t want to go back.

We waited while at least 3 monorails loaded and left.
:faint: :headache: I was going to ask how many times you saw a boat come and go while you were waiting but I see you kind of answered that one already.

Of course, we needed the obligatory picture of us all together, or it didn’t happen! (Does that also mean the calories don’t count???)
Maybe if you hadn't documented the food photographically. But since you did, yeah, they definitely count. :rotfl2:

I asked them to write "Welcome Sloan, Congratulations Nanu" in Pink writing, but I guess they didn't exactly get the message. I didn't notice that until now!!!
Well, I've seen pictures of worse cake fails. That was certainly a nice gesture!

Unfortunately, the boxes didn’t close well and someone said “Too bad we don’t have any tape”

“I have tape!”

I had brought along some tape, scissors and wrapping paper along with some small gifts in case someone didn’t have one.
:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Yeah, you know, never leave home without these things...

How would park security feel about the scissors?

:faint: :headache: I was going to ask how many times you saw a boat come and go while you were waiting but I see you kind of answered that one already.

Good point! I added that tidbit to my update.

Maybe if you hadn't documented the food photographically. But since you did, yeah, they definitely count. :rotfl2:

Dang!

Well, I've seen pictures of worse cake fails. That was certainly a nice gesture!

Yeah, this one wasn't so bad that it would make it onto one of those "Nailed it!" memes.

:rotfl2:

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Yeah, you know, never leave home without these things...

How would park security feel about the scissors?

Luckily we weren't going to a park. I wonder if I would have thought of that. Mark would have been MORTIFIED if I was caught with scissors. But at least I wasn't running.

:rotfl:

Ohhhhh looks awesome. I think I have one more ADR to add to my plan, and it has to be a MK option. Of course, not loving the transportation options!

How nice to "see" everyone together!

What a wonderful way to celebrate your anniversary at Disney having dinner with good friends :hug:

Looks like an awesome meal!

Disney does usually do some great things with their cakes. I have ordered one once and it was really good.

That sucks that the transportation getting there was not great though.

Wow, that's some serious monorail drama you had there! I don't think I've ever had that much drama with the monorail. But of course, whenever you decide to change methods of transportation, the old one has no problems and the new one has lots of drama. It happens to the best of us.

I am definitely not surprised that you brought tape with you just in case. Entertained, yes, but not surprised. Getting a cake for the soon-to-be Nanu is such a nice idea, and I'm glad you enjoyed it (even if it is a little disappointing that the decoration was not correct).

That was such a great evening. It was fun to meet Mark and get to know Lauren better. And I'm sure the waiter still has memories of getting to know Ninjamom.

The food at Kona was sooooo good. Your pictures bring back good memories. And that cake was delicious, both that night and the next day!

I was so happy that you pulled out the tape. It helped keep intact my impression of you always being prepared for any sticky or not sticky situation. (Okay that word play wasn't quite good enough, but it's been too long a day at work. I still felt the need to try and amuse you though.)

I'm so glad you are enjoying the mittens. You give so much of your time to all of us, it was a pleasure to find a way to give some of my time and heart to you.

Loving your trip report updates!

Our plan was to take the MK bus from the Yacht Club and then either take the resort boat or the monorail to the Poly.

We had never used the resort boat, so we decided to try that. We went out on the dock and there were a few people waiting for a boat. Perhaps one had just come. We waited. And waited. No boat in sight coming to pick us up. I started getting nervous and asked Mark if we should bail and use the monorail, which has never failed us.

I chose poorly!
The poor monorail service for the resorts on the monorail was one of things we didn't like about staying at the Grand Floridian. In fact I refused to take the monorail from MK back to the GF. I would only take the resort boat.

It is a good thing that your friends "forgave" you for being late. ;)

We joked around but went pretty easy on him. He was great, by the way. He gave each of us separate checks and applied the 20% Annual Pass discount to all of them!
That was nice of him to give everyone the discount, even those who didn't have the AP.

A Nanu shower for Nannette, who was expecting her first grandchild, Sloan, in December.
That was really nice of you to order a cake for Nannette. That is exciting for her to have her first grandchild :)

“I have tape!”
Why am I not surprised to find out that you had tape? You think of everything. ::yes::

Our crafty and talented friend Janet gave me these mittens that she designed and knit.
Those mittens are adorable, Janet does nice work. ::yes::

Ohhhhh looks awesome. I think I have one more ADR to add to my plan, and it has to be a MK option. Of course, not loving the transportation options!

How nice to "see" everyone together!

Kona Café has never disappointed us!

You know, we should have sucked it up and plopped down a few bucks for a cab or Uber to take us resort to resort.

We had so much fun at dinner! So many laughs!

What a wonderful way to celebrate your anniversary at Disney having dinner with good friends :hug:

I totally agree!

Looks like an awesome meal!

Disney does usually do some great things with their cakes. I have ordered one once and it was really good.

That sucks that the transportation getting there was not great though.

Great meal, amazing cake. The decorations weren't exactly what I ordered, but apparently I was distracted enough by the taste that I didn't notice until after posting the pictures!

For the most part, we have decent experiences with Disney transportation. This was NOT one of those times!

Wow, that's some serious monorail drama you had there! I don't think I've ever had that much drama with the monorail. But of course, whenever you decide to change methods of transportation, the old one has no problems and the new one has lots of drama. It happens to the best of us.

I am definitely not surprised that you brought tape with you just in case. Entertained, yes, but not surprised. Getting a cake for the soon-to-be Nanu is such a nice idea, and I'm glad you enjoyed it (even if it is a little disappointing that the decoration was not correct).

I apologized several times that night "We should have stayed and waited for the boat"

But Mark said "We don't know that the boat would have gotten us there sooner" Sweet. But wrong.

I would have made a great Boy Scout!

:rotfl2:

That was such a great evening. It was fun to meet Mark and get to know Lauren better. And I'm sure the waiter still has memories of getting to know Ninjamom.

The food at Kona was sooooo good. Your pictures bring back good memories. And that cake was delicious, both that night and the next day!

I was so happy that you pulled out the tape. It helped keep intact my impression of you always being prepared for any sticky or not sticky situation. (Okay that word play wasn't quite good enough, but it's been too long a day at work. I still felt the need to try and amuse you though.)

I'm so glad you are enjoying the mittens. You give so much of your time to all of us, it was a pleasure to find a way to give some of my time and heart to you.

Loving your trip report updates!

Memories. Nightmares. Tomato/Tomatoe

Great meal with great friends!

I was laughing so hard I was crying after I was able to produce the tape!

Thanks again for the beautiful mittens and your kind words!

:hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter