A Muppets en(henson)ment?

With the new Star Wars Expansion, I don't see how they stick around even though it would be perfect to update with the new ABC Series
I think the Muppets will stay only because that 3d film is one of the last things he worked on. Plus they need to keep SoA for the Osbourne Lights, they draw in a lot people. And by keeping SoA, I think Muppets lucks out in staying. Honestly I don't think any more attractions will close due to the expansions because the park cannot simply cannot afford to. I think we will get some expanse on the Muppets though, I wouldn't mind a Swedish Chef themed restaurant to replace Mama Melrose though!

I didn't realize that the movie had never changed due to it being one of the last films Jim Hensen worked on. I am sentimental and LOVE The Muppets, but I am sick of this movie. Perhaps they could come up with one or two "limited time" muppet 3D movies, and rotate them every once in awhile, bringing back the original in between. I don't know what goes into making these 3D attractions, so I'm sure, it's not that easy... but they've got to be able to do something. I fear that without an update people will get bored and stop going to it, and then it will get ripped out. :(

I would LOVE a Muppet land, but they may be holding off on that for the time being. Maybe if the show is succesful.
At the very least, since Toy Story land is coming... how about relocating Pizza Planet (and make it actually resemble the movies Pizza Planet) and then turn the building into a Swedish Chef quick service place (got the idea from this weeks The Dis).

A new 3d film would be cool, but I like how timeless the current one is. It still holds up.

I'm still all in for a Dinner Show, possible "Pigs in Space" to keep with the Star Wars theme. :thumbsup2

Seems like they should keep the current theatre (with or without w new movie) and add a dinner theatre or C ticket ride. Moving to another park would seem silly, when DHS is where they belong. Besides, DHS needs them for diversity.

I love all things Muppets and want more for the parks.

But while we're dreaming and moving things around, doesn't it make more sense to put Star Wars in Epcot? And expand the Muppets' presence in DHS? Future World is looking pretty sad these days.

I think Epcot's futureworld, and this will probably ruffle some feathers, needs to ditch the whole "future" theme. Disney is not capable of keeping up with "the future". Tomorrowland only works in that nostalgic 50's style retro-future way. But it wasn't always meant to be that way. Tomorrowland at Disneyland was much more "Epcot" in that it featured companies like Monsanto and DOW coming in and setting up exhibits that were supposed to "wow" people with the how their lives were about the change. At some point the "future" came and went, and it looked nothing like tomorrowland anymore. While they made a few attempts to update it (mission to the moon becomes mission to mars, etc), eventually it seems they realized that the 50's future was the safest and easiest thing to do.

Everything "futuristic" that Disney has ever tried to do has rotted out. Look at DisneyQuest for example. They simply couldn't keep that place up to date, so they didn't even try.

Epcot's futurworld is full of outdated sillyness, empty halls, and one massive gift shop. In keeping with SpaceShip earth and the somewhat educational theme of Epcot, ditching the "future" aspect and simply going with a technology or even historical technoloy theme makes the most sense.

That said, I don't think Star Wars fits there at all. DHS was always supposed to be about movies. The Disney Company never seemed to really understand if they wanted to compete with universal and do a "behind the scnees" experience or follow their previous parks and create an imaginary world to live in, and that schizophrenic approach to the park did them no favors. I always felt as though they belt the park to be a behind the scenes experience, but then ran it as though it was it's own fantasy world that you were supposed to 'buy into'. After all, why have all their other parks designed to submerse you in magic simply to have one that gives up all the secrets.

Anyways, back on topic, I've always felt that a Muppet Dinner Theater would be the perfect use of the IP. You simply can't put people in muppets costumes and have them walk around and retain any of what makes them muppets. Which severely limits the public's interaction with them. But a dinner theater with animatronics is right up Disney's alley. Heck, have the main "host" (Kermit presumably) run by an actual puppeteer. Either way, the muppets home is a theater. Imagine getting to eat dinner while hearing the opening theme to the Muppet Show playing, seeing all the muppets singing along, and having that curtain come up and feeling as though you are right there in the audience for one of their original shows. While I'm obviously in the minority, I'd book a trip to Disney just for that.

@eXo Thanks for your thoughtful comments. I see your point about Epcot. Something has got to fill that big empty space though. Anyway, I love the Muppet Dinner theater.

Imagine getting to eat dinner while hearing the opening theme to the Muppet Show playing, seeing all the muppets singing along, and having that curtain come up and feeling as though you are right there in the audience for one of their original shows. While I'm obviously in the minority, I'd book a trip to Disney just for that.
I think it might be less of a majority than you think. I too would love this. I suspect many other folks from my generation (I am mid 40's) would also love it as we grew up with this.

Then I think the Kids might just love it too (as mom/dad drag them to these type of events/attractions.)

I know it's dated and half the effects doesn't work most of the time, but I would really wish it would stay as is.
As nkosiek mentioned above, it was the last project Jim Henson directed, and opportunities to see his Kermit performance is becoming scarce.
I wouldn't mind a digital transfer and an update on effects, but the movie itself...no touchy!

With that being said, I also second the idea of Muppets presence in EPCOT!
I'd love to see Bunsen and Beaker in either Innoventions or Imagination (though my fist choice for the latter is beinging back Dreamfinder).

your obt'
me

I should probably throw this is news also but I was at DHS today and the store that is across from Muppet Vision 3D exit is completely change. Where most of the Muppets was is now a random collection of art. Muppet merchandise has taken over the middle of the store but it feels very sparse. The store looks a little sad at the moment. It feels like a temporary set up but I am wondering what they are doing.

I've always felt that a Muppet Dinner Theater would be the perfect use of the IP. You simply can't put people in muppets costumes and have them walk around and retain any of what makes them muppets. Which severely limits the public's interaction with them. But a dinner theater with animatronics is right up Disney's alley. Heck, have the main "host" (Kermit presumably) run by an actual puppeteer. Either way, the muppets home is a theater. Imagine getting to eat dinner while hearing the opening theme to the Muppet Show playing, seeing all the muppets singing along, and having that curtain come up and feeling as though you are right there in the audience for one of their original shows. While I'm obviously in the minority, I'd book a trip to Disney just for that.

My husband and I would hop on a plane as soon as this was open! We did the Adventures by Disney Backstage Magic tour JUST because we wanted to get into Muppet Studios. More Muppet presence in the park would be amazing. I bet a lot of it will stem on whether or not the TV show takes off. If it totally flops I doubt we will see much, if any, expansion in the parks.

Reactions: eXo
Muppets 3D is a nostalgic favorite for me. I'd be happy with even an update to the pre-show in the queue. Those old CRT TVs are showing age in a bad way.

Everything "futuristic" that Disney has ever tried to do has rotted out. Look at DisneyQuest for example. They simply couldn't keep that place up to date, so they didn't even try.

Well there is the heart of the problem. Disney (at least modern Disney) doesn't do updates to most of its stuff. You'd think for example that rotating the Castle forecourt show or the DHS stage shows occasionally would be relatively cheap, but they don't do that.

And you can sort of get away with that when something is supposed to be timeless (though I'd argue even then you really ought to change them up a couple of times a decade) but when you're talking the future, that changes monthly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter