A Mother-Daughter Trip! Now with BONUS BIRTHDAY Trip! (Final Thoughts Coming Soon!)

11. A Royal Luncheon
After Cinderella and DD had finished their little chat, we headed up the stairs to the dining room. Last year, we were at the “first table” - the one that the princesses visit first - and, therefore, were at the start of a dining rotation. This year, we had exactly the opposite experience - we were seated on the other side of the restaurant at the end of the dining rotation. Nothing wrong with that - just a difference from last year.

We had a lovely server who brought out our appetizer quite quickly, which was good as we were starving. Neither one of us had eaten any breakfast since we were still wavering between East and West Coast time. The entire menu has changed completely at CRT since last year, and unfortunately, allears hasn’t updated this menu since 2010. I’ll do my best to remember what we ate! The appetizer was a salad with mozzarella balls and hummus with little bread rounds. I think it had some prosciutto as well, but I believe DD snatched it off the top of the salad before I could even think about taking a pic.
115017a1.jpg

b100accc.jpg

DD was perched on her knees through the whole meal trying to see where the princesses were. Some views of the dining room:
fbc127b9.jpg

b1695d9b.jpg

4e12d456.jpg

See that guy way in the back in the blue shirt? No? Here:
b07f6b40.jpg

That guy’s job is to lurk around the outer edges of the room and mark off what tables what princess has visited. He came and visited with us for a while, explained the rotation, that we were near the end, but that he would make sure that we saw everyone. I said that I wasn’t worried - I would let him know if we missed someone! He was thrilled - he said that he wished everyone would speak up. I guess some people just sit around and pout about it. :rotfl:

Soon, our lunches arrived. DD ordered the chicken nuggets. (An aside: You are going to see a LOT of “vacation only” food on this report - for both of us. We ate a ton of junk. We normally eat very well at home, and I usually maintain a pretty low-carb diet, so we went a bit crazy on this trip. :laughing:) It was served with mashed potatoes (which she won’t eat), corn, and grapes and cheddar cheese (the latter two are supposed to be the kids’ appetizer, but for some reason, they just bring it out with the entree).
1d6077b4.jpg

I had the replacement for the Major Domo’s Pie (or whatever it was called) of last year. This was Major Domo’s Short Ribs or something along those lines. Boneless short ribs, mashed potatoes, and a lot of carrots. It wasn’t bad at all.
954bf648.jpg

DD ate more than she usually does at a character meal - again, no breakfast for us this morning! But she was still mostly interested in when those princesses would be arriving.
88c3ddf2.jpg

Finally, Snow White arrived! She was sweet - as always. DD asked her (as she did last year) why she ate that poison apple. Snow White said that she had thought it was a magic wishing apple but she has learned her lesson about opening the door to a stranger.
be8778f2.jpg

e929d1fd.jpg

c8120e3a.jpg

f39be208.jpg

Next, they did the little wishing star/wand ceremony.
b7567ba6.jpg

c57c869c.jpg

And then Ariel came to visit. She did not stay long at all.
0d5679b8.jpg

cdf7faee.jpg

Too many pics - continued in next post!

(cont.)

Aurora was next. In my experience, Aurora is always a little dull, but she was pretty funny this time. Just as Aurora arrived and started signing DD’s book, our server showed up with DD’s cupcake. The server hung around in the background not wanting to interrupt Aurora. But DD was totally distracted by that cupcake! Aurora asked her something, and DD just stared over her shoulder. Aurora figured out what was going on and made a few jokes about it.
b407a42d.jpg

bf99ffad.jpg

c24197fb.jpg

The infamous cupcake:
072c9287.jpg

3afd438f.jpg

My dessert - an almond cheesecake. I tried a bite and it was not bad at all. I’m not a huge fan of restaurant desserts, and I was really full from lunch, so I left the rest.
0a6cb881.jpg

Finally, Belle (in her blue dress) came by to visit us. I have to say this was a really unusual looking Belle. She was a lovely girl, but she just didn’t look like Belle at all nor did she look like any other Belle we’ve ever seen in the parks (and we met Belle MANY times on this trip!). She was very nice though. DD told me later that she asked her where The Beast was (DD was obsessed with meeting The Beast for months prior to this trip), and Belle told her that he had been eating chocolate and got it all over his fur, so he was taking a bath. I mentioned to Belle that DD’s greatest wish was to meet The Beast, and she told us that he likes to hang out in France. ;)
cd220690.jpg

fb385b29.jpg

DD was finally free to enjoy that cupcake.
cd707b12.jpg

607ad76e.jpg

Up next: The Rest of Day 1 - Almost

Yes, my DD is a carousel-a-holic, but we only had to ride once this trip! BTMRR and character meets won out.

Love the update! I was told in August that the CRT pics couldn't be added to PP :confused3. Doesn't make any sense since you're getting the prints anyway... Nice to know that it can be done :thumbsup2

Great pictures with DD and the princesses! Isn't it so cute how excited they get? I don't blame you at all for doing the same meals and BBB again. I also intend to do it until DD isn't interested. The window is so short in which they really love that stuff, I want to take full advantage! :goodvibes

I do look forward to finding out if DD ever got to meet the Beast!!! I really hope so! (and have you seen that they sell the Barbie sized Beast doll now? My DD just got one from grandma and is obsessed with it!)

Yes, my DD is a carousel-a-holic, but we only had to ride once this trip! BTMRR and character meets won out.
Yeah, meeting the height requirement meant a lot fewer turns around the carousel this year for us too. :laughing:

Love the update! I was told in August that the CRT pics couldn't be added to PP :confused3. Doesn't make any sense since you're getting the prints anyway... Nice to know that it can be done :thumbsup2
You know, I really think they just recently changed it. I know that it wasn't available on PP last year - either at CRT or Akershus. I'm glad they changed it - how silly not to be able to have a digital copy when you buy the PP CD!

Great pictures with DD and the princesses! Isn't it so cute how excited they get? I don't blame you at all for doing the same meals and BBB again. I also intend to do it until DD isn't interested. The window is so short in which they really love that stuff, I want to take full advantage! :goodvibes
Thanks! Exactly - it is a lot of money to spend more than once, but I know I will be sad when she no longer wants to do it. So I am choosing to enjoy it with her while I can!

I do look forward to finding out if DD ever got to meet the Beast!!! I really hope so! (and have you seen that they sell the Barbie sized Beast doll now? My DD just got one from grandma and is obsessed with it!)
I just looked it up! Is it the one that transforms into the prince? DD is not such a huge fan of Belle's prince - she much prefers The Beast. But I think she would like the doll - am thinking about getting it and the Belle doll for Christmas; they are both on sale Disney store on line. :thumbsup2

Love the report and the pictures -- so nice to see her having a good timeprincess:
Thanks! I'm glad that you are still reading along. :yay:

A Present Day Update

Some of you may have noticed a ticker in my signature indicating that I am surprising DD with a trip to Disneyland for her 5th birthday. :banana:

I have been excited about it, but I will admit, I have also kind of been dreading it - not going to Disneyland but the fact that it is coming up so fast, that I haven't really planned anything, that I'm not sure how I will pull off the surprise, etc. Anyway, I had booked us at the Anaheim HoJo, which gets really good reviews. And I know that DLR is not at all like WDW (although I haven't been there since the 1980s) in that you can just walk to the parks from hotels like HoJo's. Anyway, for some reason today, I found myself just checking to see how much it would be to stay on-site instead. Well, it was only a few hundred dollars more. Still, that is a few hundred dollars we could use for something else. HOWEVER, this is really the only chance I have to do a surprise birthday trip because I do not see pulling DD out of school in January right after winter break at any point in her school career.

So what did I do? That's right, I booked us at the Disneyland Hotel. :woohoo: Suddenly, I feel more excited about the trip. I can picture how excited DD will be when our shuttle bus pulls up to an obviously Disney hotel, how much fun it will be to ride the monorail into the park, how we can do the early Toon Town entry one day, etc. Yay!!! :rotfl:

:

I just looked it up! Is it the one that transforms into the prince? DD is not such a huge fan of Belle's prince - she much prefers The Beast. But I think she would like the doll - am thinking about getting it and the Belle doll for Christmas; they are both on sale Disney store on line. :thumbsup2

:

Yup! That's the one! I may have gone a little crazy with that 2 for $20 sale :rolleyes1 picked up the Beast, Charming, Eric, Pocahontas (the only gal she was lacking) and 2 sets of outfits. :guilty:

I also couldn't resist the Animators Collection (?) dolls. Got DD the Belle one for Christmas-they're the cutest dolls ever.

A Present Day Update

Some of you may have noticed a ticker in my signature indicating that I am surprising DD with a trip to Disneyland for her 5th birthday. :banana:

I have been excited about it, but I will admit, I have also kind of been dreading it - not going to Disneyland but the fact that it is coming up so fast, that I haven't really planned anything, that I'm not sure how I will pull off the surprise, etc. Anyway, I had booked us at the Anaheim HoJo, which gets really good reviews. And I know that DLR is not at all like WDW (although I haven't been there since the 1980s) in that you can just walk to the parks from hotels like HoJo's. Anyway, for some reason today, I found myself just checking to see how much it would be to stay on-site instead. Well, it was only a few hundred dollars more. Still, that is a few hundred dollars we could use for something else. HOWEVER, this is really the only chance I have to do a surprise birthday trip because I do not see pulling DD out of school in January right after winter break at any point in her school career.

So what did I do? That's right, I booked us at the Disneyland Hotel. :woohoo: Suddenly, I feel more excited about the trip. I can picture how excited DD will be when our shuttle bus pulls up to an obviously Disney hotel, how much fun it will be to ride the monorail into the park, how we can do the early Toon Town entry one day, etc. Yay!!! :rotfl:

Sounds awesome!! You girls will have a ball!

Great updates. Your DD looks adorable in her dress! She seems like such a brave kid too. My little brother was almost 7 when we went and we had a hard time even getting him on the dark rides :laughing:

The Disneyland trip sounds great -- I totally would have gone with the on-site hotel too! :woohoo:

Yup! That's the one! I may have gone a little crazy with that 2 for $20 sale :rolleyes1 picked up the Beast, Charming, Eric, Pocahontas (the only gal she was lacking) and 2 sets of outfits. :guilty:
I also couldn't resist the Animators Collection (?) dolls. Got DD the Belle one for Christmas-they're the cutest dolls ever.
I am trying soooo hard to rein myself in a bit this Christmas - went WAY overboard last year (took her 3 hours to unwrap everything - ridiculous). You are not helping! :rotfl2: Hmm, I don't know about these Animators Collection dolls. Gah - I will have to go check them out! :headache: :rotfl:

Sounds awesome!! You girls will have a ball!
I am definitely starting to get excited. I think DD will be really surprised.

Great updates. Your DD looks adorable in her dress! She seems like such a brave kid too. My little brother was almost 7 when we went and we had a hard time even getting him on the dark rides :laughing:
Thanks! And yes, she is really brave when it comes to ride - I think she's just a speed demon at heart. :laughing: She didn't end up loving every "big ride," but I will leave you hanging as far as which one(s) she disliked. ;)

The Disneyland trip sounds great -- I totally would have gone with the on-site hotel too! :woohoo:
I know on-site isn't at all important at DLR as compared to WDW, but somehow making that change has really improved my whole attitude about preparing for the trip. So I think it will make a difference for us. And I'm excited to see the newly refurbished Disneyland Hotel rooms!!! :thumbsup2

Hey Roni! Getting caught up :surfweb: after many days of no Dis-time...I was having withdrawals! I managed to snag about 5 minutes last night, but then we had guest for dinner...thought it might be rude to be on the computer;)

Nice updates!! Don't you just love BBB??!! I was so glad that we did it when DD was young...the magic was still there. They do an awesome job with making the experience so very real. Love the picture of Willow with no smile:laughing:....bless her heart...she was ready to get the heck out of there and ride something!

Ok...so there is no Major Domo Pie anymore???!!! Seriously?? That was soooooo delicious...or perhaps we're the only ones who thought so, and they took it off!:laughing: And you were so right....Belle didn't look quite right. Not that she was 'ugly'...just not 'Belleish'. Interesting!

As you know, we are On-site die-hards...so I think you made the right decision with the change:thumbsup2 You are going to have a blast!!! Wish my trip was much closer.

Hey Roni! Getting caught up :surfweb: after many days of no Dis-time...I was having withdrawals! I managed to snag about 5 minutes last night, but then we had guest for dinner...thought it might be rude to be on the computer;)
:laughing: No worries! I totally understand how life gets in the way. It is so dang hard to keep up with everything.

Nice updates!! Don't you just love BBB??!! I was so glad that we did it when DD was young...the magic was still there. They do an awesome job with making the experience so very real. Love the picture of Willow with no smile:laughing:....bless her heart...she was ready to get the heck out of there and ride something!
We do just love the BBB - it is worth the ridiculous price. :laughing: I love the surly pics - they just crack me up. We will be able to enjoy those together when she's a teen. :rotfl:

Ok...so there is no Major Domo Pie anymore???!!! Seriously?? That was soooooo delicious...or perhaps we're the only ones who thought so, and they took it off!:laughing: And you were so right....Belle didn't look quite right. Not that she was 'ugly'...just not 'Belleish'. Interesting!
I was SHOCKED when I looked at the menu. I too loved that dish. Actually, I was just shocked to see that the whole menu had changed. I expect to know these things given how much time I spend haunting the DIS restaurant board. :laughing: I think the quality of the food was actually improved, but I did miss Major Domo's original dish. ;)

As you know, we are On-site die-hards...so I think you made the right decision with the change:thumbsup2 You are going to have a blast!!! Wish my trip was much closer.
When is your next trip??? I know that on-site isn't supposed to make any difference at DLR, but I think it will be so much nicer to just walk through DTD or ride the monorail back to our hotel at night rather than trek through the grimy streets of reality. :rotfl2: Also, there is something to be said for having those little Disney touches back at the hotel too. ;)

12. The Rest of Day 1 - Almost
After our lovely time at CRT, we hopped over to Peter Pan to use our FPs. A great ride as always!
584a538a.jpg

8461bff4.jpg

Snapped this pretty pic as we made our way back over to the favorite ride of the trip (to date! - yes, that is foreshadowing of a sort) - BTMRR.
f4a424e0.jpg

The stand-by line was posted at a 40-minute wait, and the FP line looked crazy-long, but we braved it. It actually moved very quickly, and we enjoyed another fun ride.
d1a5dcd6.jpg

4931e9e7.jpg

When we left BRMRR, the park was starting to feel really crowded. DD wanted to check on Buzz, but when we got over there, the wait was far too long without a FP. (I may have mentioned this, but I am way too impatient for lines - if the wait is posted at more than 20 minutes, we are moving on, and 20 minutes is pushing it!)

We did spot Stitch out for a meet-and-greet nearby, so we decided to go see what he was up to. I think this is where DD’s new obsession with meeting characters and getting autographs was born. She has always really loved the characters, but she became a girl on a mission during this trip. She had a fun meet with Stitch. First, he bowed to her in her princess dress. Then, he took the autograph book and pen
64893c20.jpg

9b376ea3.jpg

But he kept throwing the pen cap and making DD get it. She would run off to get it, laughing hysterically, bring it back, and then the whole cycle would repeat. You can just see the top of DD’s bun at the bottom of this pic as she fetched that darn pen cap:
94ecf5ad.jpg

More Stitch pics
30449f4d.jpg

ee8ab78e.jpg

f0a84fd2.jpg

a3d8026e.jpg

When they had finished their exchange, Stitch gave me a hug, but he would NOT let go!! Finally, I was released, and Willow went to hug him and then ran off before he could get a hug. Stitch sat down on a bench and cried, but the handler kind of intervened and wouldn’t really let Willow go back to give him a hug. That was fine - I know that everybody wants a turn, and I already felt bad that Stitch had spent so much time on us!

By this point, the park was feeling really crowded. We were kind of over it and ready for a rest. Remember that we had gotten up at 3 a.m. our time! Snapped this pic on the way out:
344edc7e.jpg

So we hopped on a bus back to the BWV.
8834f8d2.jpg

I finally got a chance to take a few pics at the BW:

d3b15b90.jpg

4f20be2d.jpg

d67fa1b0.jpg

Sounds like you guys had a great meet with Stitch! Love the Boardwalk, thanks for sharing some pics! :thumbsup2

The Rest of Day 1 - Finally

After we returned to our villa, DD passed out. It was about 4:30.
ce4aa2ba.jpg

I rested for a bit but then got a little antsy. I cooked up some food for us to enjoy the next couple of days. I spent some time on the iPad. I took some pics from our balcony.
3ad60f76.jpg

f9dfd81e.jpg

ae0b6db4.jpg

And I waited and waited for DD to get up so we could spend a little time at Epcot that night for dinner and an attraction or two. Finally, at 6:30, DD woke up! We checked out the pool area briefly.
317cc31a.jpg

014d2906.jpg

3cfc9bbe.jpg

And then hit the boardwalk where DD’s love affair with the stroller continued:
180d4ffb.jpg

How much did I love this short walk over to Epcot??? SOOOO much!!! How much did I love the HUGE crowd of people in World Showcase??? NOT so much!!! I think I forgot it was a Friday night. Oops! We headed to Future World in hope of a little crowd relief. But there was little relief to be found.

We did ride Finding Nemo with no wait. Is there EVER a wait for that one???? There were two young girls in front of us “in line,” and I kept wondering where their parents were. Finally we made our way through the long empty queuing area to board our clam. The CM at the loading area asked them what I had been wondering. They said their parents were waiting outside. The CM told them they couldn’t ride without their parents. Luckily for DD, I had decided to ride with her. ;) She loves this ride. :laughing:
984b5197.jpg

295df3b7.jpg

I had wanted to enjoy some treats from the F&W kiosks for dinner, but the crowds were scary, so I thought we’d check out Sunshine Seasons. For some reason, nothing appealed to me. You know when you are so hungry that you can’t make up your mind? That was me. So I decided to brave the WS again and try a CS place since the kiosks were mobbed. Unfortunately, it was so crowded that I could barely navigate with the stroller. I couldn’t take it and decided we would just find something on the boardwalk. (Aside: The ONE thing that this resort desperately needs is a CS choice!!! I loved everything else about staying here, but the lack of a true CS spot was really annoying.)

Anyway, by this time, we were both starving and just decided to get some chicken nuggets and a hotdog at the little stand on the boardwalk. Sounds less than appetizing but easy, right? Hmm, not so much. I think we waited longer for this food than we did at any TS restaurant!!! We did eventually get our food and even found a place to sit with some effort. We had a great time enjoying the view over the water and giggling with each other about all the fun we were having.
e4b7bbbc.jpg

f735d774.jpg

I know this pic is blurry, but beware of this stand. It should be renamed The Eternal Hotdog to more accurately reflect its wait time.
9e9bb1bf.jpg

We stopped at the candy store for a peanut butter cup to share.
d2b5b6b5.jpg

8dfe5ebf.jpg

And then headed back to our villa to have our treat on the balcony while watching the goings-on and the fireworks.

DD was feeling pretty happy:
41ca12d0.jpg

Some poor pics of the view from our balcony:
ab2aee66.jpg

68454629.jpg

And some even worse pics of fireworks:

7c13d080.jpg

96ac8b73.jpg

65482dbf.jpg

9fc85cba.jpg

Aw what a great end to day 1. Your daughter looks so sweet and innocent sleeping in her little Princess bun. :laughing: I think they all look like that until they wake up.

It looks like you had a great time on the Boardwalk too - too bad about that Eternal Hotdog though!! We walked on the Boardwalk when we went in 2010 and I wasn't that impressed with the food options either.

Aw what a great end to day 1. Your daughter looks so sweet and innocent sleeping in her little Princess bun. :laughing: I think they all look like that until they wake up.

It looks like you had a great time on the Boardwalk too - too bad about that Eternal Hotdog though!! We walked on the Boardwalk when we went in 2010 and I wasn't that impressed with the food options either.

:laughing: I love that pic of DD - I know she must have been really tired because she is usually a very light sleeper. No way could I pull off a pic like that in our usual life.

We really did love the boardwalk so much. But the CS options are terrible - I mean, there really aren't any. If it weren't for the F&W Festival, we could have just walked to Epcot for a bite on any given evening, I guess, but sometimes you would like to have something a little closer to "home"!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter