A Love Affair With Us And The DxDP (W/Pics): 7/13: Snacks! Pg. 12

A honeymoon? At Disney?

You're going to love your experience. Make sure you add your celebration to all of your ADR's, as well as your hotel reservation.

Soooo, any other details you wanna share?

I'm sort of on a love kick. :love:

Yup, we're having our honeymoon at Disney! And your love kick is understandable. ;)

We're staying for 8 nights at Port Orleans Riverside... we get married in about 2 months now!! If you're curious about details about the wedding and how we met, you can check out my wedding planning journal, there's a link in my sig :goodvibes We're getting married in my hometown, but doing a fairy tale themed wedding.

I never thought I'd say this because I love my children with all of my heart but I now want an evening alone with my husband at the Cali Grill, in the Wine Room, with David as our server.

(Sounds like I think it was Colonel Mustard, in the billiard room, with the rope!)

Can't wait to hear about the rest of your meal at CA Grill! My last meal there was less then stellar, but from recent reviews it sounds like it's better again.

I'm trying not to give any hints, buuuuut...my favorite part of the meal was the sushi. :rolleyes1

Oh thank god you were just in time I was about to eat a Twinkie.:worship:

:lmao:

Please Sir - I want some more!:lmao:

I've eaten in the wine room before - it's nice isn't it? Very calm.

Can't wait for the rest of the CG review!

I loved the wine room. I don't see any reason to request a MK view during Wishes because you can view the fireworks from the observation deck. If we go back, it's wine room all the way!

We're going to Cali Grill in November, too- I LOVE that Spicy Kazan roll- AMAZING!!:thumbsup2

I want one now. :laughing:

Yup, we're having our honeymoon at Disney! And your love kick is understandable. ;)

We're staying for 8 nights at Port Orleans Riverside... we get married in about 2 months now!! If you're curious about details about the wedding and how we met, you can check out my wedding planning journal, there's a link in my sig :goodvibes We're getting married in my hometown, but doing a fairy tale themed wedding.

I started to read your planning journal. It's 28 pages long! :scared1:

You guys are absolutely adorable and congrats to you!

:hyper: Get to it, good woman!! Bring on the entrees!

:lmao:

I didn't realize this thing would take so long. It's hard to be witty with food. :rotfl2:

I never thought I'd say this because I love my children with all of my heart but I now want an evening alone with my husband at the Cali Grill, in the Wine Room, with David as our server.

(Sounds like I think it was Colonel Mustard, in the billiard room, with the rope!)

We'll meet you there, my friend.

David. In the wine room. At Cali Grill. :lovestruc

You're only at the apps and I'm already drooling. DH has already decided he is getting sushi too when we go, I'm not huge on sushi but that looks fantastic! Can't wait to read the rest of the review.

We'd love to hang out with the little baits whilst you and Senor enjoy a quiet meal together. :goodvibes

David in the wine room :lmao:

count us in!!

I'm planning for a January trip - now we'll be celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary - so I'm now trying to fit Cali Grill, dh loves sushi, and the way you described that ap....

must. fit. CG.

Thanks for adding the $12 taxi tip - we're staying at Boardwalk!

So glad I just had sushi for lunch before reading this. YUM!!!

Love love love your Cali Grill review so far, especially as it is on our list and everything looks amazing!!! Even the Mai Tai and I'm not much of a drinker, but I might have to get one of those. Drooling!!

P.S. I think we should call it a Wonka-vator. ;)

You're only at the apps and I'm already drooling. DH has already decided he is getting sushi too when we go, I'm not huge on sushi but that looks fantastic! Can't wait to read the rest of the review.

Make sure you take pics of the sushi and PM them to me. I'd like to relive that course. :lmao:

David in the wine room :lmao:

count us in!!

I'm planning for a January trip - now we'll be celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary - so I'm now trying to fit Cali Grill, dh loves sushi, and the way you described that ap....

must. fit. CG.

Thanks for adding the $12 taxi tip - we're staying at Boardwalk!

30 years??? :worship: Congrats to you guys!

Any advice for some newlyweds? :lovestruc

This was my first time at the Boardwalk. It was lovely. Of course, we requested a room by the elevators so we could avoid the "hallways of death". :rotfl2:

So glad I just had sushi for lunch before reading this. YUM!!!

Love love love your Cali Grill review so far, especially as it is on our list and everything looks amazing!!! Even the Mai Tai and I'm not much of a drinker, but I might have to get one of those. Drooling!!

P.S. I think we should call it a Wonka-vator. ;)

You're so lucky that you live where you can get sushi. :woohoo:

Wonka-vator is my new name for the elevator! :rotfl2:

Congrats again on your marriage! Signing on for more mouth watering food reviews!:thumbsup2

After our absolutely fabulous appetizers, UncleR and I were excited to move on to our entrees. And again, after all of our obsessing...I mean research, we both knew exactly what we wanted.

No question, I was having the grilled pork tenderloin, which is served with goat cheese polenta, roasted mushrooms, and a Zinfandel glaze.

DCWedding649.jpg

I was looking forward to this meal and had expectations regarding its level of awesomeness that would put it on par with the excitement you feel when you're buying a new car. I was expecting melt-in-your mouth meat, slap your mama polenta, and a glaze that would make me want to stand on the table and do a dance while I proudly showed my plate licked clean.

Instead, what I got was...well, the best way I can sum it up is: "Is that it?"

I'd read countless dining reviews on the cooked-to-perfection pork tenderloin that is juicy when cooked to a true medium. What I got was dry pork tenderloin. And let's be clear here...it is incredibly hard to ruin pork for me. I love pig like no other meat product. I only managed to (literally) choke down one tenderloin. It was tasteless as well, and the Zinfandel sauce wasn't doing it any favors.

The polenta was incredibly yummy, while the mushrooms weren't anything that I don't already make at home. Neither of them were enough to save my pig meat. :sad2:

UncleR ordered the oak-fired filet of beef, served with mascarpone potatoes, roasted delta asparagus, and a Teriyaki barbecue sauce.

DCWedding646.jpg

It was exactly as she ordered it, a good medium to medium rare:

DCWedding648.jpg

I tasted her meat, and it was incredibly tender and while it was good, it also left us feeling underwhelmed. The potatoes were good, but my polenta was better.

The one critique UncleR had? "Why didn't I have them leave off the barbecue sauce?"

Again, after countless dining reviews, we saw multitudes of posters downgrading the taste of this sauce. And they were right. It's sad when you've built up the expectation of a meal to such a point and then you find yourself outright avoiding certain components of that meal. That barbecue sauce was overpowering, and not at all tasty.

I will say that the wine that David, the waiter, had recommended for both of us to compliment our entrees (the Provenance Merlot) was an absolute perfect accompaniment.

DCWedding640.jpg

It was now approaching 10 p.m. and Wishes was about to begin. David stopped by the table and we asked him to box up our leftovers (cause we felt so bad leaving food at Cali Grill) and told him we were going out to the observation deck to watch Wishes. We also told him we'd be back for dessert after Wishes (because at this point, we were hoping to end the meal on a high point).

I will say that at this point we'd been traveling all day and had been walking for hours in the high heat. Both UncleR and I stood up to head out to Wishes and looked at each other and I said, "Whoa! I think I'm a little drunkety." I'd only had 1/2 of my mai tai and maybe 1/3 of my glass of wine, but apparently, liquor and heat and Goofyluver don't mix. UncleR was feeling a little wonky on her feet as well, so we promised each other to help each other hang on to the observation deck wall for stability.

David gave us a tip for Wishes viewing. Most guests head out to the observation deck which is accessible directly from the CG dining room. Apparently (and we didn't know this either) there is a second observation deck. After you round the bar, you head back towards the elevators and pass them as if you're visiting the restroom, and there's a second observation deck right there. No one goes there because no one knows about it. We were out there with only a few other guests while the other observation deck was packed like a can of sardines. And the view is just as wonderful.

There was an incredibly cute kid sitting on his father's shoulders watching Wishes. After the first large "boom" of fireworks maybe a few seconds in, he loudly started to clap and proclaimed, "That was awesome dad! Disney is AWESOME!" :lmao: He thought it was over and he was ready to head back inside. Imagine how thrilled he was when the show continued for several more minutes! :rotfl:

(And just a side-note for you smokers, smoking is allowed on the observation decks)

After clinging to the wall during Wishes, we headed back in to attempt to salvage the meal and *hopefully* go out on a high note.

UncleR ordered a coffee to sober her...I mean wake her up. :lmao:

DCWedding677.jpg

For my dessert, I ordered the bananas and caramel, which are described as crispy baked phyllo squares layered w/banana, caramel, mascarpone mousse, with caramelized bananas on the side.

DCWedding679.jpg

Again, meh. It's almost too unforgetable to write about.

UncleR ordered the lavender profiteroles, served with wildflower honey and strawberry rhubarb compote.

DCWedding678.jpg

I thought it tasted like soap. She took a few bites and shoved it to the side as well.

I would really like to know what the heck happened to my amazing meal at California Grill? It started out on such a high but ended in utter disappointment. I'm still a bit sad about it.

I will say, David was still an absolute joy of a server. And the wine room at Cali Grill was an amazing backdrop for a very romantic evening. But even those positives weren't enough to save the overall experience, especially after the meal we were going to experience the next day...:rolleyes1

We left our drinks unfinished, picked up our to-go boxes and went back to the Boardwalk. I hate being full of subpar food...it's like a total waste of calories...:laughing:...

We'd go back to Cali Grill, although not on the DxDP. And we'd be very selective with our food...sushi, sushi, and probably more sushi.

Dining Credits Used: 4 (Ugh...2 dining credits each, down the drain)
Total Credits Remaining: 6
Total Cost of DxDP: $315.96
Total Cost of California Grill: $151
Total Spent on Dining Plan Meals: $220.32

***We did pay OOP for our mai tai's and wine. The mai tai's were $9 each, and each glass of wine was $12. Too bad I couldn't finish it all, as it wouldn't have been fun to see one bride carrying another drunk bride over her shoulder all of the way from the Contemporary to the Boardwalk.

Congratulations, and great reviews! So sorry to see how your California Grill meal ended up. I have to say, I love the food there (it's my second favorite sig behind Artist Point) but I've begun sticking more to the apps and sushi. I will say I had an amazing snapper entree with fig risotto there, and the chicken is usually perfectly cooked, so I don't know why the entrees seem inconsistent.

Oh when you started with those amazing apps I was thinking we were in for a review of a lifetime, I'm so sorry that Cali Grill ended on such a sour note.
I must say that it all looks delicious so on my end I'll just pretend that is was out of this world perfection.

***We did pay OOP for our mai tai's and wine. The mai tai's were $9 each, and each glass of wine was $12. Too bad I couldn't finish it all, as it wouldn't have been fun to see one bride carrying another drunk bride over her shoulder all of the way from the Contemporary to the Boardwalk.

It's a shame you didn't enjoy your meal. It seems that the CG can be a hit or miss for us.

I'm trying to imagine one bride carrying another drunk bride over her shoulder at WDW. :rotfl:

Congratulations!!! :goodvibes

I'm loving reading your reviews.... your meal at tony's looks so good!! too bad about Cali Grill. (that was one we were thinking about trying... I might pass now) .. I can't wait to read more !!! :yay:

Oh when you started with those amazing apps I was thinking we were in for a review of a lifetime, I'm so sorry that Cali Grill ended on such a sour note.
I must say that it all looks delicious so on my end I'll just pretend that is was out of this world perfection.

Actually my filet was cooked perfectly, I just messed up by forgettin' to tell them to forget that dang barbecue sauce. Who the heck puts barbecue sauce on a perfect filet anyway? :confused:

And we had eaten such fabulous meals in DC (absolutely delicious pureed potatoes 'n soft shelled crab 'n miso chili sauce salmon at Circle Bistro) that it set the standard a li'l high. :rotfl:

I'd try Cali Grille again, the service was excellent.

wow _ awesome pics! Congrats on your marriage! (sneaked over to your pics on the community board). Thanks for taking the time to review - looking forward to more.

We stayed at bwi last year and had the luck of being at the very very very end of the hallway. It was quiet though.

Noooooooo!!!! Not Cali Grill! :headache: The one meal I'm so looking forward to. :guilty: I wonder if it's too late to change it to Artist Point. :scratchin:

I'm sorry your dinner wasn't perfection. At least you had wonderful company. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter