A Little Bit Of What You Fancy Does You Good

Yay....a Thursday update ! Now we have the teaser to stay alert for photos of new jewelry pieces...can't wait to see them. So neat that you were able to meet the artist after all these years.
How much longer before the new job begins ?

What a nightmare getting off the ship! So glad Graham was able to get a refund.

How nice to meet your designer friend after all this time. She does lovely work and it is very impressive that she was able to make something on the spot!

One time we had the opportunity to watch a crew practice drill in the pool when we didn't go into port. Some of them did not even have swimsuits on and were obviously non-swimmers, but had to swim across the pool, right an inflatable raft, and climb inside.

Was that a snail as the towel animal? If so, how appropriate based on the morning!

Thank goodness you were able to get off the ship, even though it was a terribly unorganized experience. It would have been awful to miss seeing Kythryne. Fun that she was able to make you some pretties right on the spot!

The trolley tour sounded nice.

Glad there was no problem with Graham having his excursion refunded.

The murano glass bannisters are gorgeous!

Sorry about the job changing stress. I have found leaving jobs quite emotional and stressful.

There are plenty of jewelry shops here in Nuremberg that have very nice jewelry that is designed and hand made by the artist owning the shop. Some of that really pricey as the ingredients are pricey as well as the work time. I rather own something like that than something that was mass produced.

That sounds definitely more like my kind of thing.

However, I have to confess falling in love with one of the pieces I saw in the Tiffany store on the Fantasy...

I also have to admit that at some stage I would love a piece of Tiffany jewellery. Maybe if I drop heavy enough hints, Graham will get me one for our 20th anniversary next year.

Ok, they put pressure on by selling art very quickly AND give out free champagne.

I can see how this could be dangerous, but it would take more than one glass of champagne for me to fall for this.

I wonder how many people come out of this regretting what they just did.

They did not sell much so probably very few.

However, if one knows not to purchase anything it sounds like a fun event!

It was a lot of fun.

Some of the Celebrity ships however...

That is one of the cruise lines on my to do list. However, I want to earn Diamond status on Royal Caribbean first as the benefits track across to Celebrity.

I guess you cruise was not long enough for that... :p

I think you are probably right. ;)

That is a stunning dress!

Thanks.

I also get the impression that there are more opportunities for pictures in the evening than on Disney.

We were absolutely spoiled with photo opportunities. There were not be as many on the other two ships either.

Dinner looked good! Was there a charge for that restaurant?

Yes, but we got a 4 night speciality dining package which was very good value.

Also, I was wondering how does tipping work when you have my time dining?

It used to be that you had to pre-pay the tips when you did My Time Dining, but this is no longer the case. They charge the tips every day to you onboard account unless you tell them otherwise. We then added some extra in cash on the last day for our server, assistant server and stateroom host. I assume the tips are the reason why they like to keep you with the same dining team.

And do you have to tip extra at the alternative restaurants?

This works the same as Palo. A tip is included in the charge for the restaurant, but you can tip additional if you wish. We always added an extra tip as we had outstanding service.

One thing I really like is the larger selection of other restaurants that you had.

Even the smaller ships tend to have 2 or 3 different speciality dining options.

I'm also enjoying the different dining selections you had. That meal looks splendid!

It was amazing. It is a shame that the next ship we are going on does not have Sabor.

Love the sparkly on your dress.

Thanks.

Too bad the clouds got in the way of star gazing.

Considering the time of year and where we were cruising, we were incredibly lucky with the weather.

What a nightmare of immigration.

It truly was.

Makes me reconsider if I really ever want to do a westbound transatlantic cruise.

We had no issues whatsoever on our westbound transatlantic on the Magic in 2010. Port Canaveral is set up for people coming back from international ports all the time. Boston is not.

Or verify that the arrival port in the US actually can process ESTA at least....

That may be a good idea.

But how lovely that you got spend quality time with your friend!

That was one of the many highlights of this cruise.

Now we have the teaser to stay alert for photos of new jewelry pieces...can't wait to see them.

I will try to take some photos next weekend. This week is going to be extremely hectic.

So neat that you were able to meet the artist after all these years.

It was a lot of fun.

How much longer before the new job begins ?

A week tomorrow.

So glad Graham was able to get a refund.

You cannot fault Royal Caribbean on customer service.

She does lovely work and it is very impressive that she was able to make something on the spot!

I think she does this quite a bit.

One time we had the opportunity to watch a crew practice drill in the pool when we didn't go into port. Some of them did not even have swimsuits on and were obviously non-swimmers, but had to swim across the pool, right an inflatable raft, and climb inside.

We have seen this once or twice at Castaway Cay.

Was that a snail as the towel animal? If so, how appropriate based on the morning!

I think it was and you are absolutely right.

It would have been awful to miss seeing Kythryne.

I would have been so disappointed.

The trolley tour sounded nice.

It was the perfect way to get a quick overview of the city.

The murano glass bannisters are gorgeous!

I could not believe that we had just walked past them for the best part of a week without noticing them.

Sorry about the job changing stress. I have found leaving jobs quite emotional and stressful.

I am actually incredibly lucky as my present employer and my new boss are incredibly supportive and that has definitely helped. It is just so much to cover. I have had loads of loose ends to tie up and at the same time have used every spare minute getting my CLIA accreditation. I think the emotional part comes this week. I have leaving drinks with different groups of co-workers tomorrow and Tuesday and then my boss will take me out for lunch on my last day. At the moment I feel like I have a split personality. I am hugely excited about the new job and working with my new team. I am especially excited to meet our office puppy Teddy. My boss sent me a photo of Teddy last week and he is just precious. On the other hand, I will miss everybody at my old job.

Corinna

Ryanair is starting direct flights from Manchaster to Nuremberg this spring. I would happily take you on a shopping trip to all the lovely jewellery stores we have here! ;)

Of course I would be happy to play a more normal tour guide as well! Graham might be interested in trying to spot some of the bats living in the castle... (the only interesting wildlife I could think of).

All the best for the transition from one job to the other! Leaving something behind is never easy, and especially if it is someyyou loved as much as your old job! I wish you all the best for the new adventures!

Day 8 your breakfast oh my yummy yummy in your tummy! I can't wait to sample these delights. Nice you got your trivia in. Helps prevent brain fog on vacation.
I love the model ships!
I like the sound of the more rapid style art auction.

I would be put of by the idea of a mould on what should be an expensive piece of jewlwelery also.

How mice that Mexican for dinner. I just adore churros. Some really lovely photos tonight. Makes sense about the mangets now we now they were getting inspected!

Day 9. I just adore Boston. Those colours when you hit it like you did in the fall. Those Brownstones. No way those green immigrations forms! I also thought they were items in the museem. Sorry you were 2 hours delayed.

How nice to meet up with Kythryne. What a neat idea to have your run medal made into a pendant. Sounds like she bought you some delightful goodies. How funny going to our very own Wagamama.

I am pleased that Graham got a refund.

Shame there was no photographer this evening but great towel animal. Exciting that you have NY tomorrow.

Ryanair is starting direct flights from Manchaster to Nuremberg this spring. I would happily take you on a shopping trip to all the lovely jewellery stores we have here! ;)

Of course I would be happy to play a more normal tour guide as well! Graham might be interested in trying to spot some of the bats living in the castle... (the only interesting wildlife I could think of).

We may have to take you up on this offer once everything in the new job has settled down.

All the best for the transition from one job to the other! Leaving something behind is never easy, and especially if it is someyyou loved as much as your old job! I wish you all the best for the new adventures!

Thanks. The difficult bit has now happened. I left my old job on Friday. Tomorrow I start my new job.

I can't wait to sample these delights.

I thought of you whenever we had breakfast at the Windjammer. They had two huge dispensers with Fruitloops.

I would be put of by the idea of a mould on what should be an expensive piece of jewlwelery also.

I found this very strange.

I just adore churros.

I love them, too.

Exciting that you have NY tomorrow.

This is coming right up.

Corinna

Day 10

This was a bit of a strange day. We were due to arrive in New York that day, but not until 16:00. So the morning just felt like a sea day. The main difference was that we did not have progressive trivia in the morning. I did not really understand this, as we would have had plenty of time for this. We slept a little longer this morning, but were still up at 9:00 and headed up to the Windjammer for breakfast. Graham had coffee, apple juice and ice tea. The ice tea was supposed to be a refill of apple juice, but turned out to be ice tea. I decided that I fancied a Coke that morning. Graham started with melon, pineapple and a bread roll. I had a pear and chocolate pancakes, whipped cream and strawberry compote. We then both had some hot food. Graham had sausage, bacon, fried bread, scrambled eggs, mushrooms and tomato. I had sausage links, poached eggs, baked beans, hash browns and puri. Graham also had oatmeal with nuts and raisins. I then had a lazy morning. I decided to head back to the cabin to read for a bit and ended up falling asleep. This worked really well as we had an excursion booked later than day, which meant that we were not due back until midnight. So I always intended to have a nap at some stage. At some stage Graham came back from wherever he had been and we headed up to the Windjammer for a light lunch. Graham had some ice tea, a cheese and tomato sandwich with steak fries and some pork fajita strips. I had a Coke and pork fajita strips with steak fries.

After lunch, we briefly headed back to the cabin to pick up an extra layer and our cameras and then we headed outside. I initially found myself a lounger in a sunny and sheltered spot. Graham headed up on the helipad. Once land started to come closer, I went to join Graham. The helipad was very busy, but Graham managed to get a spot right by the railing and I managed to squeeze in right next to him. At one stage, I headed back to the cabin to pick up my zoom lens. I enjoyed watching the skyline as we sailed towards the port. Then came the highlight. We sailed past the Statue of Liberty. After this, I stayed up on the helipad a bit longer, but it was pretty breezy up there so I retreated back to my lounger on deck 4. I still had a pretty good view from there.

Once we were getting closer to the port, I decided to join Graham on the helipad again. There were hardly any people left. They must have left via the other side as hardly anybody had come past me. I stayed with Graham until the ship was tied up, had been cleared and the first people were coming off. Unfortunately we were met by an ambulance, which delayed the whole process a little. Pretty much as soon as we arrived, so did various tour buses. The whole thing was rather fascinating. I then headed back to the cabin as I was starting to feel cold. Graham stayed out for a little longer.

When I got back to the cabin, I put everything I wanted to take with me for the evening in my bag. Then I read for a while. Graham came back not long after I settled down with my book. We got changed into something a little warmer. We were just about ready when the phone rang. It was the diving instructor who wanted to meet to go over some paperwork for our try dive. I told him that we would have two busy days ahead of us, but would be happy to meet at the next sea day. He was OK this and advised that he would be in touch again then.

We took our coats and the stuff we wanted to take on the excursion and headed for the dining room. We were a little bit early, but they were also running slightly behind. There was a little excitement. Some people from traditional dining had been told to join My Time Dining for the evening as My Time Dining started at 17:30, but the early seating for traditional dining was at 18:00. Unfortunately nobody bothered to tell the crew at My Time Dining this. There were some very unhappy people all around. I don’t know how this ended as by then, the dining room was opened and we went to our table.

I am glad that we had the chance to go to dinner that evening. Our dining team asked us what our plans were and we advised them that we had an excursion at 18:45. Service that evening was even sleeker than it normally was. The menu that evening was fantastic. Graham had smoked duck salad followed by Chicken Cordon Bleu, pea pilaf, carrots, and broccoli with lingonberry jelly. I had my usual Coke. I had chosen the chilled honeydew melon soup followed by braced short rib and beef shoulder, grits, parsnips, green beans and crispy onions. This was my first time of trying grits and I was not at all sure what I would make of this, but I actually really liked it and it worked fantastically well with all the different flavours. For dessert, we both had Cherries Jubilee, which was one of the better desserts. All in all, dinner took just short of an hour. Yet it still did not feel rushed.

Once we had finished our dinner, we headed down to Studio B, which was our meeting point for the excursion. They checked our excursion tickets and then we were directed to an area to sit down. Everybody must have checked in early as they called our excursion ahead of our meeting time and we headed to the gangway. The Manhattan cruise port is not a pretty port, but it is an interesting port and the location cannot be beaten. We headed down to the bus. There was a couple of slight hold ups. First we lost a group of people between leaving Studio B and getting to the bus. One member of the group had mobility issues and they were taken a different way than the one we had come. Somewhere during the process, they had decided that they no longer wanted to come. Once that was established, there was another bus blocking us in. Once that had moved, we were on our way.

Once we were on our way, our guide told us a lot about the area we were in. He was very knowledgeable and throughout the tour, he told us about the history of the areas we were passing and also a lot about the architecture we were seeing. I was really enjoying this. He also told us about New York in general. Soon we were crossing the river. Unfortunately buses are not allowed to go over the Brooklyn Bridge, but we crossed on the next bridge along. Shortly after we crossed the river, we made our first stop. We were given some free time to head down to the waterfront to take photos of Manhattan all lit up. I really enjoyed just standing there and taking it all in.

After a while it was time to head back to the bus. We headed back over to the Manhattan side and our guide told us more about the areas we passed, but also told us about the Christmas touches that we may encounter and made some recommendations about things we may want to see. Then we arrived at the Empire State Building. He asked us to come back down an hour after we had arrived at the top. As we left the bus, he handed us the tickets. We headed inside. The footprint of the building does not look all that big, but we seemed to be walking for miles. We just walked through the lines that had been set up, but if it were busy, this would not be fun. We had a slight wait at security, but this was only 10 minutes or so and when we got to the lift, we had to wait for the next one. I was absolutely fascinated by what I saw when we got off the lift. The Empire State Building is really a striking space and the views were out of this world. I was struggling to get a specific photo I wanted and Graham came over to suggest we go upstairs. I knew that there are various levels and that our ticket did not allow us to go to the top observation level. I had thought that were we were as high as we could go. Fortunately Graham had been there before on his solo trip in 2015 and knew that we could go one level higher.

We got in line for the lift and headed up. I was like a child at Christmas. I could not get enough of the view. We slowly made our way around the observation area and I took a ton of photos on the way round. Once we were back where we started, we headed down. I had a quick look at the gift shop, but there was nothing I wanted to buy. We also had a look at the photo that was taken before we went up, but I passed. For the price they were charging, it needed to be something really special and it was not. We quickly went into Walgreens inside the Empire State Building as we wanted to get some cotton buds and once we purchased those, we headed back to the bus.

We had a little bit of a wait until everybody was back. I tried to go online on my phone, but considering that we were in the middle of New York, the reception was dire. I did manage to get online briefly and managed to check in on Facebook. Once everybody was back, we headed towards our final destination, Times Square. As we were driving towards it, our guide told us a bit about Broadway and the shows there. As we got closer to Times Square, he gave us two options. We could either get off Times Square and the bus would pick us up at midnight or we could stay on the bus and head straight back to the ship. Neither option appealed to us. I wanted to get off at Times Square as I had something that I wanted to take care of, but it was obvious to me very quickly that I would not want 90 minutes there. Graham suggested that we could walk back to the ship. I liked the sound of this and as we got off the bus, we let the guide know. He gave us some directions and we headed off.

I had certain romantic ideas about Times Square and they were brutally dashed. It really is a bit of a hellhole and this was the only disappointment in New York. I found it soul destroying. However, there was something that I had come to do and that was to visit the Disney Store. I am not normally too impressed with the Disney Stores in the USA, but there were two reasons why I wanted to go there. First of all I had heard that they have some New York specific merchandise and I wanted to check this out. We were also there on a very special day. It was Mickey’s 89th birthday. I had read that there would be a special birthday button on the day, which would be available at Walt Disney World, Disneyland and the Disney Store on Times Square. I could not believe my luck that we happened to be there on that day.

The bus had dropped us off in one of the side streets and we walked towards Times Square. It was crazy busy. Graham asked if I knew the address of the Disney Store. The area was larger than I had anticipated. I tried to get online, but had no luck. When I looked up from the phone, I spotted some very distinct and familiar letters not too far away and on the other side of the road. We crossed over and soon we were stood in front of the Disney Store. This was absolutely packed. However, as soon as I walked in, I heard a very familiar tune. They were playing Chante, C’est Noel, which used to be the soundtrack to the Christmas parade at Disneyland Paris. I love this song and it put a huge smile on my face. I had a quick look around and then asked a cast member about the birthday button. He promised to go and check if he could find one for me. He never came back and after a while, I gave up. I went to the part of the shop where they sold the New York specific merchandise and found a great purple t-shirt with Minnie dressed as the Statue of Liberty. I had to have this. I found one in my size and got in line to pay. While I was in line, Graham headed towards me with a huge grin on his face. He had found be a birthday button.

When it was my time to pay, I was positively surprised that they now use chip and pin for card payments. The person in front of me was not quite so happy as she did not know her pin number. Eventually this was somehow straightened out and I was able to pay for my t-shirt. Then we headed back towards the ship. We passed the closest Subway station and an interesting car park where the cars were actually parked on giant multi-level lifts. It was crazy busy until we were a couple of blocks away from Times Square, but then it was actually a very pleasant walk. It was a mild and clear evening. We were back at the port around 23:30. Once we had cleared security, we headed straight back to our cabin. I set my alarm for 7:00 the next morning and then we got ready for bed.

The photos of New York are just beautiful , particularly the nighttime shots. It is truly a magnificent city . Love reading your update.

Tomorrow is a big day for you ... first day of the new job and Happy Anniversary to you and Graham !!!!! Hope it's a marvelous day in every way.

:cat:

It is truly a magnificent city . Love reading your update.

There is another full day to come. I really fell in love with this city.

Tomorrow is a big day for you ... first day of the new job and Happy Anniversary to you and Graham !!!!! Hope it's a marvelous day in every way.

Thanks. My boss has kindly said I could start an hour later today so I am hanging out here to calm my nerves.

Corinna

What! 2 dispensers of Fruitloops in Windjammers ? One for each hand.. This is Polly heaven. Breakfast sounded good as always as did lunch.

Shame no trivia today but how exciting heading towards NY. I have always wanted to do a transatlantic that docked in New York. For me the thought seeing Statue of Liberty is just the most amazing sight from the water.

Is that the iconic Concord? How I always wanted to fly on her. Transatlantic there Concord back!

You have some amazing day and night photos. They are simply wonderful. Nice you managed to get some dinner before your excursion. I always find it rude when folks bail on excursions without telling anyone! Like those that load bags in flights then go AWOL. Where do they go?

Sounds like a great tour. Isn't that an amazing view from the gorgeous art deco Empire State?

Times Square is a bit of a let down. Like Muscle beach in LA. But the Disney Store is nice plus the Toys R Us store us fun.

Great day thanks for fab photos!

What marvelous pics of the Statue of Liberty! I agree that Times Square is kinda icky. Those characters walking around for photos creep me out. But believe it or not, it is improved from years ago! Glad you were able to score a pin and a t-shirt.

You will be marvelous in your new job!

I hope your first day went well.

Happy Anniversary!!!

Your photos from the Empire State Building are beautiful.

That is a cute armadillo towel animal.

Popping in to say how much I enjoy your trip reports. I'm only on the DIS when I have a trip planned. And when I do, it doesn't take me long to find your reports and catch up on your exciting travels. ::yes::

What! 2 dispensers of Fruitloops in Windjammers ? One for each hand.. This is Polly heaven.

I thought you would like the sound of that.

I have always wanted to do a transatlantic that docked in New York. For me the thought seeing Statue of Liberty is just the most amazing sight from the water.

It really is one of those very special experiences alongside sailing underneath the Golden Gate Bridge and sailing in or out Sydney. The only one I am still missing is Sydney, but I will put this right in just over two months. Another thing that is on my bucket list is a crossing on the Queen Mary II.

Is that the iconic Concord?

It is indeed. It is part of the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum. Nowadays the Concord is kept company by the Space Shuttle Enterprise. We did not have time to visit, but another Space Shuttle will feature in a future instalment of this trip report.

Like those that load bags in flights then go AWOL. Where do they go?

Usually at one of the bars.

Isn't that an amazing view from the gorgeous art deco Empire State?

The whole experience blew me away.

Those characters walking around for photos creep me out.

Me, too.

But believe it or not, it is improved from years ago!

I would not have want to see it then.

You will be marvelous in your new job!

So far, so good. I am enjoying it and I am getting more confident every day, but it is a steep learning curve at the moment.

I hope your first day went well.

It did. Thank you.

Happy Anniversary!!!

Thank you. We had a nice dinner after work.

Your photos from the Empire State Building are beautiful.

Thanks.

Popping in to say how much I enjoy your trip reports. I'm only on the DIS when I have a trip planned. And when I do, it doesn't take me long to find your reports and catch up on your exciting travels. ::yes::

I am glad you are enjoying them.

Corinna

Day 11

The alarm went off at 7:00 and we got up and ready. I had kind of assumed that we would head straight out to maximise our time in New York, but Graham suggested that it may be a good idea to get some breakfast first. I was all for that and we headed up to the Windjammer. Our sea dog was dressed as an NYPD officer that day and I had to take a quick photo. Graham had apple juice and coffee and I just had a coffee. He started with melon, pineapple and some bread and then had some hot food. He had sausage, bacon, fried bread, scrambled eggs, mushrooms and tomato. I had some melon, a sausage muffin and a chocolate donut. Once we had finished our breakfast, we headed straight out.

We had wanted to take some photos of the ship on the way out, but the tide was not cooperating for the photos we wanted. So we decided to try again in the afternoon when we got back and headed towards the Subway station. This is where we hit a snag, but this actually turned out to be a blessing. Our plan had been to head uptown first. However, it turned out that the uptown and downtown platforms at the closest Subway station are about a block apart and you cannot get from one to the other underground. We had ended up on the downtown platform. Before we noticed the problem, we checked with the information desk about ticket options and were advised that we should get a smart card for $20. We had to get this from the machine, but once we knew what we needed this was no issue. It was only once we were on the platform that we realised our mistake.

So we quickly regrouped and headed to the 9/11 memorial first. The signposting for this was pretty good and although we had a bit of a walk ahead of us, we found this without any trouble. As it was still early in the morning, there were hardly any people around. We had a look at both memorial pools. I found this very moving, but also incredibly peaceful. One really nice touch is that a rose is added to the name of a person on their birthday. There were a lot of roses there that day. We probably spent about an hour just walking around the pools in quiet reflection.

Once it started to get busier, we headed out. A new shopping mall had been built near the memorial fairly recently and this was architecturally stunning. We decided to check this out. We also both needed the bathroom. Most shops were still closed, but we found the Pandora shop open. I managed to get a dangle charm with the Statue of Liberty and Freedom Tower. This was the perfect souvenir and the start of a new Pandora bracelet. As per the mall directory, there should have been a Starbucks near there and we both fancied a coffee. However, the store was still under construction. So we headed back to the Subway. The next Subway that headed downtown was not stopping where we needed to get off to get to our next destination. So we got off at the closest station and were hoping that we could change there. It turned out that there were engineering works on the line and we needed to switch to another line. That meant a slightly longer walk at the other end, but it was a beautiful day so that was no hardship. The next train was absolutely packed, but fortunately we were not on it for very long.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter