A Little Bit Of What You Fancy Does You Good

Great sunset pictures!

I was on Allure of the Seas in 2013 andI thought the ice shows were fantastic. They were definitely a highlight as well as the ice skating.
It was the first time my daughters skated and they still talk about it.

Corinna, I don't mean this to sound negative, but the more I read about your cruise, the more I think I would not enjoy it nearly as much as a Disney cruise. I am really surprised by that as I was all for booking a different cruise line! For example that ice show just would not hold any insterest for me. And while the ship looks nice and well designed, most of the decor is just not my taste.

I still really enjoy reading about your adventures and meant to say for ages now how great the light blue dress from the frist evening I think looked. The colour suits you so well. Your birthday dress was stunning, too!

I am glad you had a better night sleep. Breakfast sounded like a nice civilised affair. Glad you had nice tablemats. It is hard to find a good eggs benedict.

Yeah doing better at Trivia.

How lovely that chapel. Oh I don't care for that art either.

Lunch sounded good. I love that little doggy!

Ohhh an ice show I am excited by this. I love ice shows also. Glad to hear it was in the afternoon and it was good. I hope we get a similar offering.

You took lovely photos.

Lovely backdrops. Again I am drawn to the orange, great gown.

Yummy menu. I love that towel animal how cute. How exciting Boston coming up.

Love the different shots around the ship--you are tempting me to think outside the Disney bubble of cruising....

We most certainly did not regret branching out.

Also all shades of blue look so lovely on you-two beautiful blue dresses in a row!

Thanks. Blue is my favourite colour.

Glad you were able to get a good sleep!

I needed it at that stage.

That is so cool that they do ice shows on a ship!

I loved this. Most of their bigger ships have ice shows apart from the Quantum class ships.

Those sunset pics are stunning!

Thanks, I am pretty pleased with them.

I don't think my stomach could handle a cross over the Atlantic.

This was our second. We did one on DCL in September 2010 and the conditions during the whole of the cruise were flat calm. This one was a bit more lively.

Great sunset pictures!

Thanks.

I was on Allure of the Seas in 2013 andI thought the ice shows were fantastic.

I loved the show.

They were definitely a highlight as well as the ice skating.
It was the first time my daughters skated and they still talk about it.

Graham was talking before the cruise about going ice skating, but in the end he was not brave enough. I have a weak ankle so ice skating is out of the question.

Corinna, I don't mean this to sound negative, but the more I read about your cruise, the more I think I would not enjoy it nearly as much as a Disney cruise.

I did not take this to be negative at all. Fortunately we are all different. It is actually quite ironic. When i was reading about your first day on the Magic yesterday, I got a really strong feeling that I really don't want to go back. I am grateful for each and every Disney cruise we did and I made some fabulous memories, but I feel we have outgrown them.

For example that ice show just would not hold any insterest for me.

This was a a huge selling point for me and did not disappoint. I was absolutely spellbound by this.

And while the ship looks nice and well designed, most of the decor is just not my taste.

Each ship is very different. The Ovation was more contemporary and brighter. However, when I first stepped food on the Navigator, it literally took my breath away. I don't think my photos are doing this ship justice.

I still really enjoy reading about your adventures and meant to say for ages now how great the light blue dress from the frist evening I think looked. The colour suits you so well. Your birthday dress was stunning, too!

I am glad to have you along for the ride. Thanks for the compliment. I love the colour of the first dress, but was not at all sure about the style. The birthday dress is one of my favourite dresses.

It is hard to find a good eggs benedict.

You can say that again.

How lovely that chapel.

This is a real gem.

I love that little doggy!

The dog wore a different outfit each day. I could not wait to see what the outfit was each morning.

Ohhh an ice show I am excited by this. I love ice shows also. Glad to hear it was in the afternoon and it was good. I hope we get a similar offering.

I am not sure how they will handle this on a shorter cruise with less sea days, but if you are given the opportunity to go, grab it with both hands.

How exciting Boston coming up.

I actually just typed this up today and let's just say, this was an interesting day.

Corinna

I did not take this to be negative at all. Fortunately we are all different. It is actually quite ironic. When i was reading about your first day on the Magic yesterday, I got a really strong feeling that I really don't want to go back. I am grateful for each and every Disney cruise we did and I made some fabulous memories, but I feel we have outgrown them.

Exactly, this is what I meant: Different people have different preferences! I am still wanting to try a different cruise line some day, but I will do some serious shopping around before I commit to something. I guess you will need to branch out to different lines in the future as well now? Currently the cruise line that interests me the most is actually Princess, can't really tell you why, but somehow most of what I have read about them makes me want to try them.

Each ship is very different. The Ovation was more contemporary and brighter. However, when I first stepped food on the Navigator, it literally took my breath away. I don't think my photos are doing this ship justice.

I liked the Ovation better in your pictures. I think what I don't like is what I would call the "Las Vegas style" if that makes sense? I am more a fan of the minimalistic Scandinavian design if we are talking modern design.

But that reminds me that the one thing that caught my attention as something that I would like were the art talks! They definitely sounded interesting!

Exactly, this is what I meant: Different people have different preferences! I am still wanting to try a different cruise line some day, but I will do some serious shopping around before I commit to something. I guess you will need to branch out to different lines in the future as well now? Currently the cruise line that interests me the most is actually Princess, can't really tell you why, but somehow most of what I have read about them makes me want to try them.

I liked the Ovation better in your pictures. I think what I don't like is what I would call the "Las Vegas style" if that makes sense? I am more a fan of the minimalistic Scandinavian design if we are talking modern design.

But that reminds me that the one thing that caught my attention as something that I would like were the art talks! They definitely sounded interesting!

There is a documentory show here at the moment on the Royal Princess. It is very interesting and a breathtaking ship.

Nice that you were able to get some sleep, and the breakfast in the dining room sounded very nice.

I liked seeing the pictures from around the ship. I can't imagine having one of those cabins that looked in on the Atrium, for me I would always be worried that people could see inside, even though the curtains are closed.

I like your gown, like all the others it is very beautiful! You two take such cute pictures! The sunset was beautiful and dinner looks very tasty!

Corinna, I don't mean this to sound negative, but the more I read about your cruise, the more I think I would not enjoy it nearly as much as a Disney cruise. I am really surprised by that as I was all for booking a different cruise line! For example that ice show just would not hold any insterest for me. And while the ship looks nice and well designed, most of the decor is just not my taste.

I am having similar feelings. While everything on the ship looks fabulous, I love the parts about the Disney ships are inherently Disney. As you said everyone has different tastes, and soon Fran and I will have explored many of the Disney itineraries and we will either have to choose to repeat them or find a new cruise line. I have a friend who works at Princess and can get a friends and family discount, but we have yet to take her up on that. We do still have a Transatlantic Cruise to try and the Itineraries out of New York to Canada (that is if we do the EBPC this Fall).

I enjoy hearing about your cruises though and comparing them to what I have experienced.

Hi Corinna, I'm very exited to read all about the autumn transatlantic cruise in particular & as usual also about your adventures! We're planning to do the autumn transatlantic crossing with Celebrity Cruises also leaving from Southampton & your trip report is giving me some valuable insights & ideas ::yes::, thank you.

Looking forward to reading more...

Rhona

I guess you will need to branch out to different lines in the future as well now?

We will see how this will pan out. I am definitely open to stretching my wings, but first of all I want to get Diamond status on Royal Caribbean. Once we have achieved that, I really want to try Celebrity.

I think what I don't like is what I would call the "Las Vegas style" if that makes sense?

I did not get that kind of vibe at all. The ship reminded me more of the classic ocean liners and that was a big attraction for me.

The were a real highlight of the cruise.

I can't imagine having one of those cabins that looked in on the Atrium, for me I would always be worried that people could see inside, even though the curtains are closed.

They are really high up and therefore not overlooked.

I'm very exited to read all about the autumn transatlantic cruise in particular & as usual also about your adventures! We're planning to do the autumn transatlantic crossing with Celebrity Cruises also leaving from Southampton & your trip report is giving me some valuable insights & ideas ::yes::, thank you.

I am glad to be of service. The instalment that I will post on Thursday should be of special interest to you.

Corinna

Day 8

All over sudden, it was already the last day of the actual Atlantic crossing. We also had gained the last hour over night. We were up bright and early again and headed to the Windjammer around 8:30. Graham had coffee and apple juice and I had just coffee. For his first plate, Graham had melon, pineapple and a bread roll. I had a bowl of Granola with walnuts, whipped cream and strawberry compote. Then we both went for some hot food. Graham had bacon, sausage, mushrooms, tomato, fried bread and scrambled eggs. The omelette station was really quiet this morning so I had a made to order bacon, mushroom and cheese omelette and had some more bacon, sausage links and baked beans on the side. Graham finished off with some oatmeal and I had a bagel with peanut butter. After breakfast, we headed back to the cabin and after chilling out for a bit, we went our separate ways.

I headed for progressive trivia again and I am not sure where Graham went. The whole team was there pretty early that day so we had plenty of time to chat about our plans for the port days. We did OK in the trivia and once the answers had been scored, I went to meet Graham at the Cafe Promenade for some coffee. We ended up having a couple of cups of coffee and just relaxed for a bit.

Graham had spotted some model ships on his wanders and we decided to go and check them out. They had models of Voyager of the Seas, Radiance of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas and Vision of the Seas. We also took a few more photos around the ship before heading to the Windjammer for some lunch. Graham had some ice tea and chicken curry with rice. I had ziti with tomato sauce and Parmesan cheese and a slice of beef brisket. Graham had some mixed fruit crumble with custard for his dessert and I went with the Irish coffee mousse. Graham really enjoyed his dessert, but mine was just OK.

After lunch, we headed down to deck 5 to the Star Lounge. They had a rapid-fire art auction that afternoon and we decided to check this out. Registration was pretty painless again and we only had a short wait until we were allowed into the venue. We got seats near the front this time round. They started with an introduction and the rules again and then we were given the opportunity to view the art. At that stage, there was more champagne on offer. We had a leisurely look at the art and there was quite a bit that I enjoyed. This was a bit different. The aim was to auction 100 pieces of art in one hour so there was less talking, but it was a really nice way to see a lot of very diverse art.

I had to leave a little early, as there was a seminar that I wanted to attend in one of the shops. This was about how jewellery is made from initial idea to finished piece. This was very interesting, but also somewhat shocking. They were talking pretty high-end jewellery and although loads of attention goes into the design stage, in the actually production they are mass-produced using moulds. Somehow this did not exactly inspire me to invest in an expensive piece of jewellery.

I met up with Graham again in Cafe Promenade. We had some coffee and then we decided to take a turn around the top deck. I did finally work out where Johnny Rocket’s was hiding. I had every intention to have lunch there one day, but we never got around to this. We took a lap around the walking track before heading down to the helipad. It was little chilly there so we did not stay very long. We spent some time chilling out at the back corner of the R Bar where I had a Coke. Then it was time to go to get changed.

That night, it was finally another formal night. I had just got changed and was about to put on my make up when there was a knock on the door. It was the deck supervisor. A couple of days earlier, our stateroom host suddenly approached us that we had to take the magnets that we had on the door down. He advised that due to marine law, there was not supposed to be anything combustible on the door. I was a little bewildered by this. We have had magnets on the door during most of our cruises and this was never an issue. Indeed, Royal Caribbean sells magnets as part of their celebration packages. My magnets consisted of laminated photo paper with magnetic tape on the back. I would love to see somebody trying to set them on fire. As our stateroom host’s English was not wonderful, we decided to check with guest services later that day, but could not get a straight answer out of them either. So the magnets stayed put. When the deck supervisor came, he explained that the ship would have a coast guard inspection on arrival in Boston and that they were concerned that having anything on the outside of the doors would cause issues. I thanked him for the explanation and took the magnets down. I most certainly did not want to cause the crew additional stress on what would be a very stressful day for them anyway.

We continued getting ready and then headed up to Sabor. Sabor is the Mexican specialty restaurant on the Navigator. We both love Mexican food and where therefore looking forward to this. As soon as we arrived, we were seated and presented with the menu. Our server explained the different components of the menu and brought us some corn chips and salsa. He then took our drink order. Graham had a Takate beer and I had the Simply Perfect Margarita. There used to be an amazing restaurant on International Drive in Orlando called Salt Island Chop House and Fish Market. Unfortunately this is long since gone, but they used to make the most amazing margaritas. I have never found as good a margarita anywhere else. That is until I tried to margarita at Sabor, which was every bit as good.

Shortly after we were seated somebody came to make the tableside guacamole. This was absolutely amazing. This came with tortillas, but I actually preferred this with the corn chips. We shared a couple of the appetizers: the chicken stuffed jalapeños with tomatillo salsa and cumin crème fraiche and the Queso Fundito with chorizo and poblano peppers and tortilla. Both were nice, but I preferred the chicken stuffed jalapeños. For his main course, Graham went with pan-seared Red Snapper, plantain mash, grilled poblano pepper and mango-papaya salsa. I had chicken and corn empanadas with green mole and spicy peanut sauce. We both enjoyed our main courses. At some stage, a photographer came to take some photos. Then it was time for dessert. They do a dessert sampler. We were both full, but I had seen that one of the desserts was churros with chocolate and vanilla sauce. I really fancied this and asked if I could just have the churros. I don’t think those churros were anywhere near as nice as the ones at Disneyland, but the vanilla sauce was divine.

After dinner, we made the rounds of the photo opportunities. They had the backdrop with the ship at night, a light grey backdrop, the backdrop with a bow at sunset, the blue backdrop and the abstract black and white backdrop. They also had photographers at various locations around the hanging sculpture.

Once we had done the rounds of the photo opportunities, we headed back to the cabin. We found another towel animal and I checked out the Daily Compass. They were offering stargazing that night and Graham wanted to go to this. I was considering coming along, but did not fancy getting changed into something warmer. So I settled down with my book instead. Graham was not gone for very long either as clouds unfortunately were obstructing the sky. We settled down for the night once he got back as we had an early start in the morning.

They were talking pretty high-end jewellery and although loads of attention goes into the design stage, in the actually production they are mass-produced using moulds. Somehow this did not exactly inspire me to invest in an expensive piece of jewellery.

I see your point. There are plenty of jewelry shops here in Nuremberg that have very nice jewelry that is designed and hand made by the artist owning the shop. Some of that really pricey as the ingredients are pricey as well as the work time. I rather own something like that than something that was mass produced. However, I have to confess falling in love with one of the pieces I saw in the Tiffany store on the Fantasy...

They had a rapid-fire art auction that afternoon and we decided to check this out. Registration was pretty painless again and we only had a short wait until we were allowed into the venue. We got seats near the front this time round. They started with an introduction and the rules again and then we were given the opportunity to view the art. At that stage, there was more champagne on offer.

Ok, they put pressure on by selling art very quickly AND give out free champagne. You were smart to not bid on anything! I wonder how many people come out of this regretting what they just did. However, if one knows not to purchase anything it sounds like a fun event!

These are great pictures to give an overview! And I understand what you are saying what you see in the design. But I am not seeing it that way myself. It really is a stunning ship and I guess if I were to cruise on it, I would even like it. But it does not draw me in. Some of the Celebrity ships however... But that is the one line where Michael had a really lousy cruise and I don't think I will ever get him back on that line...

I did finally work out where Johnny Rocket’s was hiding. I had every intention to have lunch there one day, but we never got around to this.

I guess you cruise was not long enough for that... :p

Oh, I replied before you posted the evening! That is a stunning dress! I also get the impression that there are more opportunities for pictures in the evening than on Disney.

Dinner looked good! Was there a charge for that restaurant? Also, I was wondering how does tipping work when you have my time dining? And do you have to tip extra at the alternative restaurants? One thing I really like is the larger selection of other restaurants that you had.

I'm also enjoying the different dining selections you had. That meal looks splendid!

Love the sparkly on your dress.

Too bad the clouds got in the way of star gazing.

I will come back and reply over the weekend. This week has been a little crazy. Who knew that changing jobs is so stressful? In the meantime, I will post the next instalment.

Corinna

Day 9

When we woke up that morning, we had arrived in Boston. We got up and ready and then headed up one deck to the theatre, which was our allocated meeting point for immigration. It was only 7:30 when we got there, but the theatre was already pretty busy. They checked our excursion tickets and passports and then we were given a numbered sticker and directed to find a seat on the left-hand side of the theatre. I did check if it was OK to use my phone and iPad while we were waiting and was told that this was fine. I had invested in a US SIM card and it was nice to have the chance to check my emails and check Facebook. Once I had finished with this, I read my book.

Nothing happened for a while and then they started to call the first numbers and associated excursions. They were calling numbers and excursions pretty quickly at first, but then this slowed down quite significantly. They had not called anybody for about 45 minutes when they made an announcement that if people needed to go to get some stuff from their cabins, this would be a good time. Graham encouraged me to go and get my stuff. So this is what I ended up doing. So I quickly went back to the cabin to get my camera and my coat. Then I headed back to the theatre. When I got back, they were starting to hand out the old green immigration forms. Apparently they do not have the technology in Boston to check ESTAs. I never thought I would see one of them again. I took two as I knew Graham had not brought his glasses. Pretty much as soon as I had them, they made the announcement that all remaining guests should now head up to deck 5 for immigration. Suddenly a whole deluge of people was heading in my direction and Graham was still in his seat towards the bottom of the theatre. There was nothing that could be done apart from letting myself be swept up by the crowd.

Once we were outside the theatre and in the stairwell, everything ground to a hold. The line moved only very slowly. I still had no idea where we were actually heading as they never told us, but I had no choice but to follow the crowd anyway. Eventually we made it up the stairs to deck 5. That was where it got really interesting. There is a bit of a bottleneck where the elevator lobbies are on deck 5. This area was now packed with people in line for immigration, but there were still people coming up or down on the lifts and trying to get off on deck 5. This was a giant mess of epic proportions. Things got a little better once we were on the Royal Promenade and the line was actually moving. As we were getting closer to the dining room, which was where we were heading, there was an announcement for all remaining US citizens to proceed to immigration. I was hoping that they then would reallocate resources, but that never happened.

I finally entered the dining room. Near the entrance, they had tables set up where crew checked passports, green immigration forms and scanned the SeaPass cards. Then there was a long slow moving line all around the dining room. Crew actually started to pull out chairs from the table and set them up either side of the line so that people could sit down. I thought that this was a nice touch. The line eventually snaked through a crew only area, near the galley, which was fascinating. After this, it did not take long until I could see the immigration desks. They were set up roughly opposite to where we were sitting for dinner. From this point onwards, things happened pretty quickly. It did not take much longer until I was directed to a table. The whole actual immigration process took less than a minute and that included a very brief tongue in cheek exchange about the relative merits of ship water. The immigration official who processed me was one of the more personable once that I had encountered. After this, there was a group of crew near the exit that marked our SeaPass cards with a Sharpie to show that we had cleared immigration.

I had a look round if I could see Graham, but he was nowhere to be seen. So I headed down a deck towards the gangway. Our excursion should have started at 9:15, but by the time I was actually off the ship, it was 11:23. Still, as soon as I entered the terminal building, there was somebody standing from Old Town Trolley and directed me to a line. Pretty much as soon as I got there and had received my sticker, they called our excursion number and we were off.

There was another complication. I had a lunch date that day. Most of you if not all of you will have seen the fantastic custom jewellery that has featured on all of my cruises and on other special occasions as well. The jewellery has been created by an amazing artist in New Hampshire. I have worked with her for many years and consider her a friend. Yet we had never met in person. We have just spoken over the phone and via FaceTime over the years. At some stage, she suggested that we have to meet up if I should ever come to Boston or New York. So as soon as this trip started to take shape, I contacted her and we agreed we would meet in Boston. Fortunately I did have a US SIM card and we had been texting backwards and forwards during the morning. I let her know when I was finally off the ship and we arranged a new meeting time. The tour I had booked only lasted an hour 15 minutes so this all worked out.

The tour provided a good overview of Boston and told me that I have to come back for a more in depth look at the city. Still, I was pretty pleased with what I got to see. The fall foliage was still in full swing and this absolutely blew me away. I loved all the historical buildings that we passed and I was interested in hearing some of the history of Boston. I was amused by the fact that Samuel Adams, who has a beer named after him, was actual teetotal. I also was fascinated by the fact that a lot of the parks we saw were created by the same person who created Central Park in New York. We ventured as far as Cambridge, which made me smile as I had just started to read a Patricia Cornwell book that is set in Cambridge. Then we returned to the stop for Quincy Market.

I only had a short walk from the bus stop to Quincy Market. They were decorating the Christmas tree in this area, which was very impressive. You don’t often need a crane to decorate a Christmas tree. I loved that general area. It very much reminded me of Covent Garden in London, which I have also always loved. I got a text from Kythryne letting me know where I could find her just as I got off the trolley. I headed over there and we finally got to meet in person.

It took me a short while to find her as what I thought was the front of the building where we arranged to met was actually the back. However, with some directions from a nearby tourist booth, I did manage to find our meeting place. We said "hi" to each other and then headed for lunch. Kythryne suggested Wagamama. This made me smile as this is a UK chain. I do really like their restaurants though and therefore was more than happy with this suggestion. We walked the short distance and were seated straightaway.

We both had water and looked at the menu. I went with tried and tested and had the Chicken Katsu Curry with sticky rice, which is one of my go to dishes. We were just chatting while we were waiting for the food arrived. It was really nice to just get to put the world to rights and to enjoy each other’s company. At some stage, the work box came out and Kythryne made some pieces for me on the spot. I enjoyed watching her work and being able to have some input on the finished pieces. I had brought a souvenir medallion from Disneyland Paris and this was turned into a pendant.

Our server was absolutely fascinated by what Kythryne was doing. She was even more fascinated by the fact that we came from two different continents, had known each other online for a decade, but that this was the first time that we met in person.

After lunch, I opened my goodie box. I was spoiled rotten. I loved everything, but my favourites were a necklace with LED lights woven in and a South Pacific inspired set. This was very timely. I noticed in the Daily Compass the night before that this night would be a tropical theme night, but I had nothing tropical to wear. Now this was taken care of.

We chatted for a while longer and then we both had to make tracks. Kythryne had to head home to collect her daughter from school and I had to get the shuttle back to the ship. This had been very enjoyable meeting and I hope we get to meet up again.

The walk back to the shuttle stop did not take long and I did not have to wait long for the trolley that was our shuttle either. I had enjoyed the tour and the narration, but I could not help but thinking that it would have been even better if we had the driver who took us back to the ship. He was originally from Florida, had worked at Walt Disney World for a while and was both funny and educational. We stopped a couple of times on route to drop off other people before heading back to the port.

When I got back to the ship, I headed back to the cabin. I still did not know what had happened to Graham when we got separated in the theatre. I was not sure if he had ever left the ship. One thing however I could be sure of and that was that sooner or later, he would come back to the cabin. I did not have long to wait. He arrived about 15 minutes after me. When I saw the stampede, he decided to check out how bad it was and then decided to pass. He spent some time on the open decks, went to guest services to ask for a refund on his excursion ticket and at some stage had lunch in the Windjammer. It was only once the line was completely inside the dining room that he headed for immigration and was processed pretty quickly. By then it was about 14:00. So Graham never got off the ship.

Once we were reunited, we decided to go up to deck 12. We found a way to get to the aft of the ship on that level. We enjoyed the view for a bit and were treated to another sunset. Once I started to get a bit cold, we headed back inside. We headed up to the Viking Crown lounge. Even though we had been there quite a lot, this was great first time we noticed the beautiful Murano glass orbs on the bannisters. Every single one was different. We stayed up there for a bit. Some sort of crew drill was going on and there were people with life jackets all over the place. However, when we headed back downstairs, there were still members of crew going through immigration. By then it was just before 17:00. We went over to the sofas by the Star Lounge. The crew drill was just winding up and the Star Lounge had been used for this. That left them with an interesting problem. The Star Lounge should have been used as the Diamond Lounge from 17:00 so they were scrambling to get ready while half the ship seemed to be waiting to be let in.

Once the crowds had dispersed, we got going again. Graham wanted a coffee and I wanted a Coke. Most bars were closed. I found the pub open, but with a long line. Eventually I got my Coke and we relocated to our favourite seats at the R Bar. When we were supposed to leave Boston, they only just started the life boat drill for the crew. This was a bad day for the ship having all the delays with immigration and a Coast Guard inspection. We spoke to the captain a few days later and he shared that the Coast Guard had been livid as all the hold ups with immigration were stopping them doing their job. We finished our respective drinks and then headed back to our cabin.

We played around with the interactive TV for a bit and noticed that the money for Graham’s shore excursion had already been refunded. This was great customer service especially considering that they probably had to refund quite a few excursions. Some excursions that they offered were full day excursions and there was no way at least non US citizens would have made those. A little while later, we got ready for dinner. I did wear my new Southern Pacific inspired jewellery. Unfortunately there is no photographic evidence of this. When we headed for dinner, there were backdrops set up, but there were no photographers around. At that stage, we were still docked. So we headed to dinner and decided to go back for photos later.

We were wondering what we would find for dinner as the dining room was still used for immigration about 90 minutes earlier. When we came to dinner, it was business as usual. The serving teams were a little on edge, which is understandable, but this did not in any way impact our dining experience. They food was delicious again and this time, we both pretty much had the same. Graham had his usual water and I had a Coke. Graham had Mushroom Arancini, garlic spinach and Romanesco sauce for his appetizer and I had the same, but asked them to leave off the spinach. I had ordered the chilled strawberry bisque. For some reason, our server got his wires crossed and he brought Graham one as well. I would have happily eaten both, but Graham decided to try it and actually quite liked it. For our main course, we both had Chicken Marsala with asparagus, mushrooms, roasted garlic and tomato. As per the menu, this came with mashed potatoes and this is what Graham had. Had more than enough mashed potatoes this trip so I asked for the provolone potato bake that came with another dish on the menu. This worked really well. For dessert, Graham went with the Crème Brûlée with caramelised banana. This was not great. I had the Tiramisu, which was also disappointing.

After dinner, there was still no sign of photographers. We headed down to deck 3 to find out if there would be photos that day and also to look at the photos from the past few days. By then, we were finally under way. The screens were all disabled. We were told that they could not have the screens on or take photos until we were in international waters. I found this very strange as they had taken photos on the ship while we were still docked in Southampton. This was even stranger when we came back to deck 5 and all the shops were open. We were advised that the earliest there would be photos that evening would be 21:00. We headed back to our cabin.

[

We had another towel animal waiting for us. I checked out the Daily Compass and noticed that My Time Dining the following day was due to start at 17:30. We had an evening excursion booked for our first day in New York and for that reason I had not made a dinner reservation as our meeting time was 18:45. I had figured that we would either be able to get something at the Windjammer or at least would be able to get a sandwich at Café Promenade. However, with the earlier dining time, we would actually have time for dinner. I checked with Graham what he wanted to do and he liked the idea of having dinner before our excursion as well. I read for a bit and just before 21:00, I headed out again to check if there were now photographers out and about and to check if we could get a 17:30 dinner reservation for the next evening. There were still no photographers, but we had no issues getting a dinner reservation. With this taken care of, I decided it was time to call it a night. I headed back to the cabin and got ready for bed.

What a nightmare of immigration. Makes me reconsider if I really ever want to do a westbound transatlantic cruise. Or verify that the arrival port in the US actually can process ESTA at least....

But how lovely that you got spend quality time with your friend!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter