• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A "is this a good college" thread for all college searchers...

Just curious as to what he doesn't like at Ramapo? My dd is there now (as a freshamn) and loves it. I can't get this kid to come home.

Not a good fit for him. He had been hoping to be a walk on baseball player and told try outs were November (prior to school starting) He gets there and found out try outs were first full week of school. He didn't have time to get physical. Not that that was a big deal in the scheme of things but it was disappointing. He was in mackin in a triple. His roommates were drinkers, partiers and into drugs that made his life miserable. It was a suitcase school and not enough activities. He found many to stay in their rooms and drink the weekend away or hang out at pot rock We are in a more affluent town in south jersey but found most students tended to have endless funds and he couldn't keep up. Academics were fine and he did well. The activities fair was during his classes. He did do some community service things. He finally found a group of guys to hang with but he didn't like the whole feel of the school

We went to family day and in one of the seminars with Patrick Chang and micki camoratta a father asked if his daughters roommates were drinking and got caught his daughter would be in trouble too if in the room and could lose her full scholarship. The answer by Patrick Chang was to make wise choices. My DS is not a drinker and he wound up sleeping in the lounge as his roommates were always drinking. He finally switched rooms but he was just so miserable there. There is more to this but that is part of it.

DH and I are originally from Bergen county....Ridgewood and Paramus and thought the campus was gorgeous and could see DS there.

He is at Rowan this weekend and said there were more down to earth people,more things to do, more choices for food with better hours. His friend he is visiting transferred this semester to Rowan (he is from Bergen county) and loves Rowan so much more. Not every college is for everyone. My DS was accepted at Rowan but opted not to as we are 45 minutes away and many of his classmates were going there. He wanted a change.

Thanks! Our starting point/top picks at the moment are: TCNJ (reach), Rowan, Monmouth, Richard Stockton and for out of state: Coastal Carolina, West Chester and Towson. I do not mean this in any derogatory sense, but from what I've read on the internet :-)rolleyes1) it seems these three are thought of in the same tone, i.e, party schools, not the hardest curriculum, sort of slacker schools. HOWEVER, this is coming from places like College Confidential where all anyone is concerned with is Ivy league. As long as my daughter is happy and learns, I'm okay with it. Not every school is for every person and as long as it's safe and helps her to grow as a person and educates her, that's all I want. And considering I've had to push her because she's not a self-motivator, maybe a less stressful environment is where she belongs. Please don't anyone be offended by my comments. I'm simply repeating what I've seen elsewhere and I'm still looking forward to checking into those schools. One of the other things I read on RateMyProfessor.com is that NJ students are not looked highly upon my Coastal Carolina students. But again, that would not stop me from having DD look into it. She is her own person and will do fine where ever she is.

Rowan is highly rated for engineering and now hooked up the cooper hospital for nursing. We know many that go to Rowan, stockton and TCNJ. I asked a friend when we were choosing about Stockton being known as a party school and her daughter has had no problems. We heard the same about west Chester but now that some of DS classmates go there he said he'd have had no problem going there his one friiend loves it and wants him to transfer there. It is a hard decision My DS wanted to be within a 2 hour radius of getting home. His
grandmother is very ill and wanted to get home easily. Also, Rowan being known for engineering seems to pull kids from a distance and more stay on campus on weekends

I wouldn't hesitate at any of the schools on your list.

it seems these three are thought of in the same tone, i.e, party schools, not the hardest curriculum, sort of slacker schools. HOWEVER, this is coming from places like College Confidential where all anyone is concerned with is Ivy league. As long as my daughter is happy and learns, I'm okay with it. Not every school is for every person and as long as it's safe and helps her to grow as a person and educates her, that's all I want. And considering I've had to push her because she's not a self-motivator, maybe a less stressful environment is where she belongs. Please don't anyone be offended by my comments. I'm simply repeating what I've seen elsewhere and I'm still looking forward to checking into those schools. One of the other things I read on RateMyProfessor.com is that NJ students are not looked highly upon my Coastal Carolina students.

As I said upthread, we know many who have gone to Coastal Carolina and since I'm from the DC/MD/VA area, also know many that go to Towson. Neither of these schools are considered "party schools" although, let's face it, I believe there is a TON of partying going on at most colleges so I don't know why some get a reputation over others. My DD attends *the* premier party school, which is West Virginia University. The parties can be easily avoided.

That said, any school that has lower admittance standards is going to attract a less serious student. For schools that take kids in the GPA range of 3.8 and above, you've just got a different mindset there. However, you can definitely be a serious student and get a good education in these "middle tier" schools.

As for New Jersey students--well, they seem to be an issue everywhere!;) My DD says there are a LOT of NJ students at WVU and they don't seem to try to blend in with the rest of the school. Some of the NJ students come from a lot of money. Currently, my DD lives in a house that is "downhill" from some NJ students. She pays $425 per month for rent and they pay $700 per month. They stand on their porch and throw their beer bottles down the hill into my DD's backyard. They had a pretty big altercation with them last semester because my DD and her housemates asked them to stop doing that and they copped an attitude about it. One guy came down and started getting in my DD's roommate's face (she is from Pittsburgh) and she ended up throwing HIM to ground and scaring him.:scared1: I think they stopped finally. But, the word is that they stay sort of cliquish and don't behave themselves. That said, my DD dated a NJ boy her first year there and he was as nice as could be.

Not a good fit for him. He had been hoping to be a walk on baseball player and told try outs were November (prior to school starting) He gets there and found out try outs were first full week of school. He didn't have time to get physical. Not that that was a big deal in the scheme of things but it was disappointing. He was in mackin in a triple. His roommates were drinkers, partiers and into drugs that made his life miserable. It was a suitcase school and not enough activities. He found many to stay in their rooms and drink the weekend away or hang out at pot rock We are in a more affluent town in south jersey but found most students tended to have endless funds and he couldn't keep up. Academics were fine and he did well. The activities fair was during his classes. He did do some community service things. He finally found a group of guys to hang with but he didn't like the whole feel of the school

We went to family day and in one of the seminars with Patrick Chang and micki camoratta a father asked if his daughters roommates were drinking and got caught his daughter would be in trouble too if in the room and could lose her full scholarship. The answer by Patrick Chang was to make wise choices. My DS is not a drinker and he wound up sleeping in the lounge as his roommates were always drinking. He finally switched rooms but he was just so miserable there. There is more to this but that is part of it.

DH and I are originally from Bergen county....Ridgewood and Paramus and thought the campus was gorgeous and could see DS there.

He is at Rowan this weekend and said there were more down to earth people,more things to do, more choices for food with better hours. His friend he is visiting transferred this semester to Rowan (he is from Bergen county) and loves Rowan so much more. Not every college is for everyone. My DS was accepted at Rowan but opted not to as we are 45 minutes away and many of his classmates were going there. He wanted a change.

I understand the disappointment of not getting on the team if that is what he wanted. My dd had to try out for the dance team last May. I know she would have been upset if she didn't make it.
she is in a suite (6 girls) in Pine and one roommate left right before winter break due to using.

As I said upthread, we know many who have gone to Coastal Carolina and since I'm from the DC/MD/VA area, also know many that go to Towson. Neither of these schools are considered "party schools" although, let's face it, I believe there is a TON of partying going on at most colleges so I don't know why some get a reputation over others. My DD attends *the* premier party school, which is West Virginia University. The parties can be easily avoided.

That said, any school that has lower admittance standards is going to attract a less serious student. For schools that take kids in the GPA range of 3.8 and above, you've just got a different mindset there. However, you can definitely be a serious student and get a good education in these "middle tier" schools.

As for New Jersey students--well, they seem to be an issue everywhere!;) My DD says there are a LOT of NJ students at WVU and they don't seem to try to blend in with the rest of the school. Some of the NJ students come from a lot of money. Currently, my DD lives in a house that is "downhill" from some NJ students. She pays $425 per month for rent and they pay $700 per month. They stand on their porch and throw their beer bottles down the hill into my DD's backyard. They had a pretty big altercation with them last semester because my DD and her housemates asked them to stop doing that and they copped an attitude about it. One guy came down and started getting in my DD's roommate's face (she is from Pittsburgh) and she ended up throwing HIM to ground and scaring him.:scared1: I think they stopped finally. But, the word is that they stay sort of cliquish and don't behave themselves. That said, my DD dated a NJ boy her first year there and he was as nice as could be.

As far as party schools, I agree, not sure why some get the reputation. IMO, drinking is everywhere. My DS on move in day at ramapo said his roommate brought in vodka in all of his Poland spring bottles. They had a big rock behind his dorm nicknamed "pot rock".

We are from NJ, DH and I grew up in north jersey and moved to south jersey 25 years ago. There is a huge difference, it is like 2 different states. Beer bottle throwing....reminiscent of when HS seniors go to the shore for the weekend after prom. My DS refused to go. It's all about drinking. Parents rent homes and some stock them with liquor. One of my sons classmates threw a microwave out the window. Ugh. Not ds's scene at all. Ugh.

Christine, I completely understand what you're saying. DD is NOT a party girl. She stays in every weekend, does not go out except for a birthday party or movies with friends. I worry about that too, but her response is she has no desire to hang out with the pot heads and drunks (her words, not mine). She avoids that scene. Which also worries me that at college she won't be able to. She'll need to learn to hang out with people who are doing those things without being involved herself. I will admit she's like me and has a sarcastic sense of humor, but she would never dream of fighting or instigating any nonsense because, honestly, she's afraid she'd get her butt whooped. ;) I just want her to find a place where she won't feel like an outcast if she doesn't want to party, and can find people who are truly interested in their education. And if she goes to college and becomes a party girl, well I guess I'll deal with that when it happens.

Christine, I completely understand what you're saying. DD is NOT a party girl. She stays in every weekend, does not go out except for a birthday party or movies with friends. I worry about that too, but her response is she has no desire to hang out with the pot heads and drunks (her words, not mine). She avoids that scene. Which also worries me that at college she won't be able to. She'll need to learn to hang out with people who are doing those things without being involved herself. I will admit she's like me and has a sarcastic sense of humor, but she would never dream of fighting or instigating any nonsense because, honestly, she's afraid she'd get her butt whooped. ;) I just want her to find a place where she won't feel like an outcast if she doesn't want to party, and can find people who are truly interested in their education. And if she goes to college and becomes a party girl, well I guess I'll deal with that when it happens.

For my DS it was very hard to find non drinkers and non smokers. He felt like an outcast, more so on weekends as it was a suticase school. He spent many nights alone. My friends DS is at endicott and told if you keep your dorm room closed nobody will bother you if you drink. However he plays lacrosse and up early for practice. He'd be getting up when his 2 drunk roommates were going to bed

I might be wrong about this but I pretty much believe that if you are NOT a "party person" it's probably a good idea to try to go to a larger school. I think some of these smaller schools (5-7K students) make it very hard to find a "place." I know we all envision the great big "football" schools to be party schools (and they are) but there is also such a wide variety of people there that I do believe you can find a place to fit in.

The majority of colleges have a drinking culture but I think if you attend a very diverse, larger school you are going to have an easier time fitting in.

I would love some input on Carnegie Mellon, Purdue, Marquette, University of Iowa and Valparaiso. My son is currently trying to decide between these. He got accepted at all of them, but is still waiting on the financial packages from a couple of them before making his final decision.

On the other hand, I know lots about Augustana since my daughter is a senior there. So if anyone needs info about that, I'm your girl! :)

I am a Purdue engineering alumni and grew up in and live in Milwaukee. For this list it really depends what your son wants to do as they are all good schools.

I would strongly suggest that you visit all of them in person as you will find each of them to be very different (atmosphere, activities, campus life).

To talk specifically on Purdue, it is a great school and an engineering degree from there will be well though of anywhere (yes I am a bit biased). i would be happy to answer and specific questions - feel free to pm me.

Christine said:
I might be wrong about this but I pretty much believe that if you are NOT a "party person" it's probably a good idea to try to go to a larger school. I think some of these smaller schools (5-7K students) make it very hard to find a "place." I know we all envision the great big "football" schools to be party schools (and they are) but there is also such a wide variety of people there that I do believe you can find a place to fit in.

The majority of colleges have a drinking culture but I think if you attend a very diverse, larger school you are going to have an easier time fitting in.

I agree completely! DS is not into partying at all, and has applied to primarily large schools. He's anticipating many more options for things to do and a wider variety of students

Dd is a freshman at Roger Williams University, Bristol RI. It's nickname??? Rager Williams!! Wasn't too happy to see that after she decided to go there. It's a small school, just under 4000 students. She is not a party girl. But she is a theatre major. We have found that most of the theatre kids tend to be less of a partying mentality than other groups.
There is a fairly large amount of 'partying' going on...but if you want to avoid it, you can. It's going to be harder to find your 'niche' at a smaller school, but it can be done.

It's all about the right fit. We were lucky that dd found such a great fit. I'm sure she would have had a fine fit at other schools but this is just about perfect. And the really funny thing??? I forced her to look at RWU. Her older brother had wanted to go there but his dad wouldn't let him. It has a nice theatre program, with a terrific study abroad program for theatre majors. And, it's in a beautiful spot....right on Mt Hope Bay. So, we stuck her in the car, her complaining all the while. Well....we got there (it's about 75 mins from home!!), parked the car and walked up to the middle of the campus. She lit up!!! Hadn't even heard anyone speak, or saw anything other than a few buildings. Something clicked inside her. She just looked at me and said....'If I don't get into Emerson, this is where I want to go.' Ooookay.
She auditioned at Emerson..did very well. I asked her what her plans were. I didn't want her at Emerson...way too narrow a school. She said she was glad she had auditioned for Emerson but was really putting RWU at the top of her list!!!
She went to the accepted students day, and on the way home, said she wasn't sure she had made the right choice!! She hadn't found anyone to be friends with, she didn't think she was going to fit in, etc. Same thing after the two day orientation. Well, now??? She has the most wonderful group of friends, she has a boyfriend, she has been in two shows and is in rehearsal for two more. She loves most of her classes and professors. She is getting good grades.

So, I guess my point is that you can just never tell. You should go with that first gut feeling. Most kids are going to find others just like them. It is very unusual for that to not happen. And most kids find that if they try some new and different things (clubs and other activities) they will find others just like them.

Thanks! Our starting point/top picks at the moment are: TCNJ (reach), Rowan, Monmouth, Richard Stockton and for out of state: Coastal Carolina, West Chester and Towson. I do not mean this in any derogatory sense, but from what I've read on the internet :-)rolleyes1) it seems these three are thought of in the same tone, i.e, party schools, not the hardest curriculum, sort of slacker schools. HOWEVER, this is coming from places like College Confidential where all anyone is concerned with is Ivy league. As long as my daughter is happy and learns, I'm okay with it. Not every school is for every person and as long as it's safe and helps her to grow as a person and educates her, that's all I want. And considering I've had to push her because she's not a self-motivator, maybe a less stressful environment is where she belongs. Please don't anyone be offended by my comments. I'm simply repeating what I've seen elsewhere and I'm still looking forward to checking into those schools. One of the other things I read on RateMyProfessor.com is that NJ students are not looked highly upon my Coastal Carolina students. But again, that would not stop me from having DD look into it. She is her own person and will do fine where ever she is.

My dd is also a junior and we are looking at some of the same schools...so far we have visited only Stockton and Seton Hall. Planning a few more visits this spring.
:)

My dd has narrowed it down to Iona, LeMoyne, Siena and Binghamton. Anyone have any knowledge of these schools? Any insight? Thanks!

Siena was the second choice for both of my kids. They were both very impressed. We (the parents) liked it very much as well. Granted the last time we were there was 2006, I think.

I attended West Chester and absolutely loved it! It definitely is an affordable in state school for students who are still exploring their passions. (It's also great for those that have a definite career path). Lots of school spirit, great diversity and good academics.

DD is also contemplating Coastal Carolina for it's theatre department. I have yet to visit though.

My DS's girlfriend is going to West Chester. Her sister is graduating from there this year. They both LOVE IT.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the PA state schools. I went to Millersville and had a terrific experience. My DS was accepted at both Kutztown and East Stroudsburg, and then at a small private college- Messiah College. His first choice is Messiah, but Kutztown is a close second. He loved the campus and it had a lot to offer.

We have heard that Kutztown is a party school- and my DS is not into that scene AT ALL. He is a follow the rules kind of kid. His first order of business if he doesn't go to Messiah, which is a Christian school, is to find a group such as Intervaristy Christian Fellowship. I think a group like that will be really good for him- give him a friend base of kids who hopefully value what he values. I'm sure he will have to deal with parties, but he has already said that he is not afraid to tell people he doesn't drink, and if they don't respect him- too bad.

My dd is also a junior and we are looking at some of the same schools...so far we have visited only Stockton and Seton Hall. Planning a few more visits this spring.
:)

We haven't visited anywhere yet, although we did go to Rutgers last year for Rutgers Day. She was not impressed. And they took away everything except Good Friday and Easter Monday from our spring break so I don't know when we'll go visiting. :headache: DD already has 4 days out of school this year so I'll need to speak to her GC about possibly "excused" absences for college visits.

Dd is a freshman at Roger Williams University, Bristol RI. It's nickname??? Rager Williams!! Wasn't too happy to see that after she decided to go there. It's a small school, just under 4000 students. She is not a party girl. But she is a theatre major. We have found that most of the theatre kids tend to be less of a partying mentality than other groups.
There is a fairly large amount of 'partying' going on...but if you want to avoid it, you can. It's going to be harder to find your 'niche' at a smaller school, but it can be done.

It's all about the right fit. We were lucky that dd found such a great fit. I'm sure she would have had a fine fit at other schools but this is just about perfect. And the really funny thing??? I forced her to look at RWU. Her older brother had wanted to go there but his dad wouldn't let him. It has a nice theatre program, with a terrific study abroad program for theatre majors. And, it's in a beautiful spot....right on Mt Hope Bay. So, we stuck her in the car, her complaining all the while. Well....we got there (it's about 75 mins from home!!), parked the car and walked up to the middle of the campus. She lit up!!! Hadn't even heard anyone speak, or saw anything other than a few buildings. Something clicked inside her. She just looked at me and said....'If I don't get into Emerson, this is where I want to go.' Ooookay.
She auditioned at Emerson..did very well. I asked her what her plans were. I didn't want her at Emerson...way too narrow a school. She said she was glad she had auditioned for Emerson but was really putting RWU at the top of her list!!!
She went to the accepted students day, and on the way home, said she wasn't sure she had made the right choice!! She hadn't found anyone to be friends with, she didn't think she was going to fit in, etc. Same thing after the two day orientation. Well, now??? She has the most wonderful group of friends, she has a boyfriend, she has been in two shows and is in rehearsal for two more. She loves most of her classes and professors. She is getting good grades.

So, I guess my point is that you can just never tell. You should go with that first gut feeling. Most kids are going to find others just like them. It is very unusual for that to not happen. And most kids find that if they try some new and different things (clubs and other activities) they will find others just like them.

My dd was accepted into Roger Williams - dance major - but turned it down, despite an excellent financial package. Although we never visited it, she did fall in love with it online immediately, but Muhlenberg was her first choice and was accepted, so bye bye RW. In the end, her first choice is what she decided best for her, and with the package they offered it brought it down to the cost of Binghamton (her next choice), so Muhlenberg it is. I think she would have done well at RW and would have loved it, but we are very happy with her choice.

We are in NJ as well. We looked at all NJ state schools as well as west Chester, kutztown, York, millersville, east stroudsburg, and one other that I can't recall. He applied to 7 schools and got accepted at 6. He chose ramapo but after 1.5 semesters and many issues he is home going to community college. Not sure where he will go next but he is at Rowan for the weekend visiting friends and said he likes it much better than ramapo. My DS just turned 20 and was a 2011 graduate of HS
I will add that his friend commutes to TCNJ and loves it. My DS has been on that campus and loved it. Again he felt he liked it better than ramapo. So much pressure to choose the right school and you hope you do but he knows so many that transfer for one reason or another. One of his friends from ramapo transferred to Rowan this semester.

My DS was accepted to Rowan with a small (I mean small) merit scholarship. The scholarship would be impressive if he wasn't a nonresident. But wowser the price difference resident/nonresident; Rowan would really have to be something for the cost compared to the other schools (and their offers of merit aid) We don't know a whole lot about the school, any info about it from you New Jersians?

Eh, I tend to disagree. I went to a small, loosely religious (options were there but not required) liberal arts college and there was no pressure to drink. Maybe 10% of students drank, but it was all off-campus. I was in a sorority and I didn't drink until I graduated, and there were several of us who made that choice. I graduated in 2010.

Now I work at a big 10 school and the pressure to drink is EVERYWHERE. I was planning to go to grad school here but I don't like the drinking culture that envelops the school.

Siena was the second choice for both of my kids. They were both very impressed. We (the parents) liked it very much as well. Granted the last time we were there was 2006, I think.

Thanks!! We haven't visited yet :worried: Lot going on around here and we got sidetracked. She has until May 1st to decide so we are getting ready to start visiting. Next weekend going to Binghamton and Lemoyne. Then in a few weeks off to Siena and Albany.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter