A "is this a good college" thread for all college searchers...

My son is doing theatre at a major liberal arts university. He's a good student, who plans to double major. Theatre is very important to him, but it may end up being a hobby instead of a career. His school has very strong student theatre groups outside the department, which was a wonderful and welcome surprise. He thought he was sacrificing some theatre opportunities to go to a school known for academics and that has not been the case.

The marine science student might want to look at UNC-Wilmington.

My daughter will be a technical theatre major. She is only interested in a BFA program and prefers a conservatory approach. My older daughter was all academic and applied to only in state schools, mostly private. She applied, attended scholarship weekends, and we were done. With this one, we've applied to 15 schools, both academically and theatrically. She has had or will have interviews/portfolio reviews at virtually every school. That is a LOT of travel and extra expense that isn't generally seen in majors outside of theatre. Additionally, in most cases, you have academic acceptances then have to wait for artistic acceptances. Coupled with all of that is tiny, tiny numbers of students that are admitted to these programs compared to those that apply. For us, it is vastly different from a "regular" (meaning other than the arts) college application process. Then, there's the whole Unified/Consortium process. It is mind boggling. In our state, we have no really good choices for BFA theatre. (Yes, maybe a safety or two, but not the stellar programs.)

PrincessKsMom said:
So many suggestions for marine bio/science. I just wish she had some idea. ;)

Any suggestions for animal science/zoology? My dd15 is pretty set on the major. She's a good student in a highly competitive district. So far her first choice is the AA degree at Moorpark, since the San Diego Zoo hires a lot from there. We know of 4 year programs at Michigan State (I can't afford 4 years there) and Friends in Kansas.

Anyone have any good information?

My daughter will be a technical theatre major. She is only interested in a BFA program and prefers a conservatory approach. My older daughter was all academic and applied to only in state schools, mostly private. She applied, attended scholarship weekends, and we were done. With this one, we've applied to 15 schools, both academically and theatrically. She has had or will have interviews/portfolio reviews at virtually every school. That is a LOT of travel and extra expense that isn't generally seen in majors outside of theatre. Additionally, in most cases, you have academic acceptances then have to wait for artistic acceptances. Coupled with all of that is tiny, tiny numbers of students that are admitted to these programs compared to those that apply. For us, it is vastly different from a "regular" (meaning other than the arts) college application process. Then, there's the whole Unified/Consortium process. It is mind boggling. In our state, we have no really good choices for BFA theatre. (Yes, maybe a safety or two, but not the stellar programs.)
We have friends who's kids are doing BFA's. It is tougher. But, maybe it is the difference between performance and technical that makes it worse. I know the kids going for a BFA in performance had to audition (extensively), but not much else.
I know many people that are doing extensive travel for their collegiate searches. They travel great distances, and if they like the school, go back several times. I suppose we are lucky, in our area, that there are many choices for theatrical BFAs...in various fields. We decided against it, for performance anyway. Wanted a more well rounded education. And that is why we didn't choose a conservatory type school. And we have some good ones here. BoCo is well known!! But, it wasn't for my dd. She knows that percentage of grads that make it onstage, and then continue to make a living doing it. She knows she will need to have something else to fall back on...just in case. But then again..she thinks working for Disney in some capacity would be wonderful. At 5'10'', she realizes that she isn't going to be the next big broadway star!!! At least not as a leading lady. So, she gets a BA in theatre with a minor in something else..or a possible double major.

Any suggestions for animal science/zoology? My dd15 is pretty set on the major. She's a good student in a highly competitive district. So far her first choice is the AA degree at Moorpark, since the San Diego Zoo hires a lot from there. We know of 4 year programs at Michigan State (I can't afford 4 years there) and Friends in Kansas.

One thing my son has learned while being a part of a youth volunteer program at the Brookfield Zoo, is that a strong Biology major is a great start. It is not necessary to major in a more focused degree.

Is she wanting to be a keeper? Like I stated earlier, my son is majoring in Animal Behaviors, and he wants to be a keeper.

A suggestion for your daughter, get as much experience with animals as she can. Volunteer at a animal shelter or check to see if your local zoo has a volunteer program. In my sons case, he will get a preferential look at his application for any job at Brookfield because of his time in YVC, plus, there are jobs that you can't even get unless you have been in YVC.

ETA ~ Found this for the National Zoo, not sure if it would work for her http://nationalzoo.si.edu/support/volunteer/Teens/ and not sure how close you are to Norfolk, but there is this too http://www.virginiazoo.org/the-zoo-and-you/volunteer.asp

Iowa state has zoology and animal science majors. They are a really good school thats not too expensive. I have a sophomore daughter here and she really loves the school. They are known for the sciences (vet program, engineering, etc)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter