A Hop, NO Skip, and Many Mishaps to a Disney Dream!

I like Claire's pirate pose:thumbsup2

I wouldn't have know that the character was Hades. I've seen Hercules, but I guess the resemblence is off for me.

I love going to shows, I went to Wicked this year and WOW is all I can say. Kadence was mad she couldn't go, but maybe the next time it comes around.

I've seen Hades before, and you are right, he's not exactly like him. I knew it was though because of the research I did prior, plus of course they said he was. :rotfl:

Love your trip report and all of the pictures are great. Can't wait until next March to be on the Dream

Thanks so much. What date are you sailing?

That's a shame you didn't like the Villains show (DF is looking forward to that one most).

Claire looks so cute in her Pirate outfit :)

Don't go by what I said. Many people loved the show, so it just depends on the person.

Hey Jen! :wave:

I'm all caught back up. Life just keeps getting in the way.........

You're probably nicer than me. If my husband threw me under the bus with the police officer, he would have gotten the cold shoulder for more than the rest of the drive there!

We have Worlds of Fun here in town, but I haven't been in over 20 years. I just know I'd be disappointed. I like rides and all. I even do most of the big stuff. But I'd be so disappointed it wasn't Disney!

I think I probably would have enjoyed the Villains show. I bet Katie would too. She seems more interested in the villains of late. I'm pretty sure if we were going to MNSSHP, I'd be making a bunch of villains costumes for her...... Yes, I'm pretty close to losing her to the dark side........:darth:

Your photos from the show are amazing. You really did great with that lens!

And the Atlantis and lighthouse pics............. :thumbsup2 You came back with some real keepers. You ought to frame those. I'm SO glad those weren't on the lost memory card!

So you would really go for a 5 day cruise if it meant no time in the parks at Disney????? Man, I'm not sure I could. But it's quite a testament to how awesome the Dream must truly be.

I have added some zoo pictures to my blog if anyone is interested. I have a couple of slide shows going with different pictures

http://jensmouseworld.tumblr.com/

Those are great! I really like the pointy leaf picture! And the one with the huge bee on Claire's back is hilarious! :rotfl: Looks like she's been hit hard by the tooth fairy too! :laughing: So cute! Gotta love it when those front ones fall out! Isn't it such a blessing to be a SAHM and be able to go to all the stuff at school? I am so thankful that I am able to do that with my DD too. Sometimes, you think about how you could be making an income and have more financial security, but in the end, it's not worth it to miss out on all that great stuff. They will never be little again, so this is our one shot at enjoying it! :love:

I can't believe that I am typing this but.... I am thinking about going to a DSLR. :rolleyes1 I think if I sell the two cameras that I have now on ebay it would almost pay for one. So I'd love your opinion on what brand to get. I know most people are loyal to either Canon or Nikon, but I'm considering everything. Image quality is really all I care about. I'm not too concerned with how many fancy features it has. So I guess what I'm asking is what do you think would be the best brand for a fairly basic (not looking for a $3000 camera here) DSLR? Also, do you think the kit lens is sufficient for most picture taking or do you think an addition lens is really needed? TIA for your input. :flower3:

Those are great! I really like the pointy leaf picture! And the one with the huge bee on Claire's back is hilarious! :rotfl: Looks like she's been hit hard by the tooth fairy too! :laughing: So cute! Gotta love it when those front ones fall out! Isn't it such a blessing to be a SAHM and be able to go to all the stuff at school? I am so thankful that I am able to do that with my DD too. Sometimes, you think about how you could be making an income and have more financial security, but in the end, it's not worth it to miss out on all that great stuff. They will never be little again, so this is our one shot at enjoying it! :love:

I can't believe that I am typing this but.... I am thinking about going to a DSLR. :rolleyes1 I think if I sell the two cameras that I have now on ebay it would almost pay for one. So I'd love your opinion on what brand to get. I know most people are loyal to either Canon or Nikon, but I'm considering everything. Image quality is really all I care about. I'm not too concerned with how many fancy features it has. So I guess what I'm asking is what do you think would be the best brand for a fairly basic (not looking for a $3000 camera here) DSLR? Also, do you think the kit lens is sufficient for most picture taking or do you think an addition lens is really needed? TIA for your input. :flower3:

Yes, she is very toothless right now. LOL! She tried to eat corna on the cob and it was so funny. And she loves apples too, and she eats it with her side teeth. :rotfl2:

I am a canon lover. I think a t2 would be a good start one, not too expensive and still fabualous shots. I know nothing about the kit lens it comes with though. When I bought a Rebel the lens was said to be not good and I quickly bought a few more. I just recently rought it back out and I actually don't think it's bad, but does not have much distance for zooming. I have 5 or 6 lenses now. I really like my telephoto lens the best. I am getting more adventourous lately and trying to use all my lenses instead of just 2 of them now.
Janet has the T2 I beleive and she can tell you more about it.

Hey Jen! :wave:

I'm all caught back up. Life just keeps getting in the way.........

You're probably nicer than me. If my husband threw me under the bus with the police officer, he would have gotten the cold shoulder for more than the rest of the drive there!

We have Worlds of Fun here in town, but I haven't been in over 20 years. I just know I'd be disappointed. I like rides and all. I even do most of the big stuff. But I'd be so disappointed it wasn't Disney!

I think I probably would have enjoyed the Villains show. I bet Katie would too. She seems more interested in the villains of late. I'm pretty sure if we were going to MNSSHP, I'd be making a bunch of villains costumes for her...... Yes, I'm pretty close to losing her to the dark side........:darth:

Your photos from the show are amazing. You really did great with that lens!

And the Atlantis and lighthouse pics............. :thumbsup2 You came back with some real keepers. You ought to frame those. I'm SO glad those weren't on the lost memory card!

So you would really go for a 5 day cruise if it meant no time in the parks at Disney????? Man, I'm not sure I could. But it's quite a testament to how awesome the Dream must truly be.

AHH! I missed this the first time around.

Yeah, I really liked the Dream. I wouldn;t do that every year, but one more time...yeah.
Thanks. I had funv trying to take some. Even though they never came out as perfect as I wanted. I'm glad they weren't lost either...and they cam close to being lost as you will find out in my next post...which I have not even started. :laughing:
I also want to start a little TR about my Cedar Point day in my blog. Right now I am trying to catch up on other pictures and get them ordered since snapfish is having 50% off of everything right now.
BUT I got side tracked this morning...Thanks to Brook....and I am on a mission now.

I am completely flustered this morning.

As many of you know, I started a new job this year.
For those of you who know Brook from the boards, You know she works with me as well. . She was searching the Disney site this morning and found out there is a seminar going on in Aug and the price is unbeleiveable. Lets just say airfare will cost me close to the same price as the 4 nights there. Meals are included for the most part too. It looks sooo cool. And Brook is going. I love her DH!!!! I am going to ask Skip. WE all know how wishy washy he is, so I'm not sure what he will say. Or how long it will take to make the decision.

So right now I need a TON of pixie dust blown my way and basically doused all over me. It's full days of classes and tours, and it sounds so cool!

I have the T2i now and absolutely love it. It does have great image quality and I love the flexibility of the higher ISO's it has. The one feature I wish I had was a faster burst rate (frames per second). I'd have to get a REALLY fancy camera like Jen to get that!

I love my Canon, but honestly, the reason I have Canon is that I started with a Canon DSLR in 2004. Once you have one and accumulate a few lenses, it's easier to just stay with that line. That question of "which one is best" gets asked often on the Photography forum here. There are Canon, Nikon, Sony and Pentax owners there. But there is pretty much a consensus of opinion there that ALL of those cameras take great photos. It comes down to features for the money, and how the camera feels in your hands......... which is hard because it's hard to find a camera shop that has Pentax and Sony available.

I did just help a friend get her first DSLR. I posted a thread and got recommendations from the photography folks. She ended up with a Sony. To be honest, if I were starting over, I'd probably end up with a Sony or a Pentax. Why? They all take great photos. But I like having image stabilized lenses. The entry level Sony and Pentax bodies have IS built into the body, so you don't have to pay for it again with every new lens.

My friend spent $550 on the Sony A500 with an 18-200 lens. She really likes it. There are vailid reasons you might want to add other lenses later, but it's a great starter package. I think they are a little higher now because of the issues with things coming out of Japan.

Hope that helps! We will now rejoin Jen's trip report......... already in progress.........

OMG I am going to throw buckets of Pixie Dust your way! Maybe I'll hire out a big dump truck! :lmao: Here you go!!

pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:

I'm glad they weren't lost either...and they cam close to being lost as you will find out in my next post...which I have not even started. :laughing:

SERIOUSLY???????????? You weren't KIDDING when you said you had some mishaps! You did come home with Claire, right???????? :rotfl:

I hope you can work out going to the TA training! I have a friend who has been and she loved it!:wizard::wizard::wizard:

I suppose the whole "work research" thing doesn't go that far with Skip? This would be such an amazing opportunity for you!! You'll be able to increase your marketability tenfold. okay maybe not that much, but I'm trying to get Skip on board here!

Like PP, buckets of Pixie Dust will be sent your way! Now, when this trip comes to pass, how in the world will you explain to Claire that Mommy is going without her??

pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:

I have the T2i now and absolutely love it. It does have great image quality and I love the flexibility of the higher ISO's it has. The one feature I wish I had was a faster burst rate (frames per second). I'd have to get a REALLY fancy camera like Jen to get that!

I love my Canon, but honestly, the reason I have Canon is that I started with a Canon DSLR in 2004. Once you have one and accumulate a few lenses, it's easier to just stay with that line. That question of "which one is best" gets asked often on the Photography forum here. There are Canon, Nikon, Sony and Pentax owners there. But there is pretty much a consensus of opinion there that ALL of those cameras take great photos. It comes down to features for the money, and how the camera feels in your hands......... which is hard because it's hard to find a camera shop that has Pentax and Sony available.

I did just help a friend get her first DSLR. I posted a thread and got recommendations from the photography folks. She ended up with a Sony. To be honest, if I were starting over, I'd probably end up with a Sony or a Pentax. Why? They all take great photos. But I like having image stabilized lenses. The entry level Sony and Pentax bodies have IS built into the body, so you don't have to pay for it again with every new lens.

My friend spent $550 on the Sony A500 with an 18-200 lens. She really likes it. There are vailid reasons you might want to add other lenses later, but it's a great starter package. I think they are a little higher now because of the issues with things coming out of Japan.

Hope that helps! We will now rejoin Jen's trip report......... already in progress.........

Thanks Janet. I do want to add that I ALMOST bought the Sony when I first started out. The reason I didn't was because it was the 1st model and they were very limite to what lens you could get for them then. But the camera was awesome with the IS built in to it. I played with one at Best Buy. Now, I bleive they have many more lenses and you can buy from other lens makers as well, I think. At that time, only Sony made lenses for Sony cameras.

OMG I am going to throw buckets of Pixie Dust your way! Maybe I'll hire out a big dump truck! :lmao: Here you go!!

pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:

Thanks. I am so antsy to ask him, but he's out working right now and I don't want to bother him and get him in a bad mood.

SERIOUSLY???????????? You weren't KIDDING when you said you had some mishaps! You did come home with Claire, right???????? :rotfl:

I hope you can work out going to the TA training! I have a friend who has been and she loved it!:wizard::wizard::wizard:

Yes, I had a LOT of mishaps this trip. I NEVER lose things on vacation like that, but I swear stuff was jumping out of my bags and pockets! :confused3

I hope I can get him in a good mood. I might have to promise him some more lovin'.. :love:...LOL! I guess I can take on for the team! :laughing:

I suppose the whole "work research" thing doesn't go that far with Skip? This would be such an amazing opportunity for you!! You'll be able to increase your marketability tenfold. okay maybe not that much, but I'm trying to get Skip on board here!

Like PP, buckets of Pixie Dust will be sent your way! Now, when this trip comes to pass, how in the world will you explain to Claire that Mommy is going without her??

pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:

Well I am going in with "It's all tax deductible!" And "all the other co workers are going".
With Claire, I'll tell her it's school, because that is what it is, just much more fun!

Thanks Janet. I do want to add that I ALMOST bought the Sony when I first started out. The reason I didn't was because it was the 1st model and they were very limite to what lens you could get for them then. But the camera was awesome with the IS built in to it. I played with one at Best Buy. Now, I bleive they have many more lenses and you can buy from other lens makers as well, I think. At that time, only Sony made lenses for Sony cameras.

Actually, Sony bought Minolta when they entered the DSLR market. All of the old Minolta Maxuum lenses work on the Sony DSLR's I believe. Lots of people practically gave away their old Maxuum lenses (not me though.... never.....:rolleyes1) not knowing there was actually a new market for them. Live and learn I guess! But if you do your research, you could find some deals out there on older lenses.

Oh I am soooooo jealous!!! HE HAS TO LET YOU GO!!!! He would be the grump of all grumps if he didn't! :laughing: That REALLY sounds like a lot of fun. I always wanted to be a travel agent, but my fear of flying sent me in another direction. Oh the regret! :rolleyes: Anywho... here's lots of pixie dust for you!

:tink: pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust:

That's all the pixie dust the Dis will allow me to post!......... kind of stingy aren't they.

I have the T2i now and absolutely love it.

Thanks to both of you for your opinions. I did see that the Sony was "ranked" number 1 on a lot of "best DSLR" lists online. The guy who runs our local camera store recommended I start will the Nikon b/c it has that feature where you can just choose what you are photographing and it picks the correct settings for you (like flowing water, etc.). He said that was great for newbies to SLRs like me. I'll check out that Sony though! Right now I have the Canon SX10is.... a prosumer mega zoom point and shoot. Very nice, but not quite DSLR. But my first "real" camera was a Pentax (film) and it took the most amazing pictures ever, so I would consider them too.

Honestly though, I'm just not sure I am ready for it. I took a photography class at the community college a few years ago, but I have forgotten most of what I learned. I almost always use auto mode on my camera b/c I can't seem to walk and chew gum at the same time! :rolleyes1 When I am out with my daughter, I am so focused on keeping my eye on her, and taking in all the scenery, that I just don't take the time to choose the best settings. The only time I can seem to focus enough to do that is when I am alone, taking pictures of flowers or whatever. Do you think it would be worth the investment if I primarily used auto mode? Because I really don't know how long (if ever) it will be before I learn the manual stuff.

Btw, sorry Jen for being off topic, but it is hard not to talk about photography during your TR with all your beautiful pictures. Forgive me! :flower3:

Thanks to both of you for your opinions. I did see that the Sony was "ranked" number 1 on a lot of "best DSLR" lists online. The guy who runs our local camera store recommended I start will the Nikon b/c it has that feature where you can just choose what you are photographing and it picks the correct settings for you (like flowing water, etc.). He said that was great for newbies to SLRs like me. I'll check out that Sony though! Right now I have the Canon SX10is.... a prosumer mega zoom point and shoot. Very nice, but not quite DSLR. But my first "real" camera was a Pentax (film) and it took the most amazing pictures ever, so I would consider them too.

Honestly though, I'm just not sure I am ready for it. I took a photography class at the community college a few years ago, but I have forgotten most of what I learned. I almost always use auto mode on my camera b/c I can't seem to walk and chew gum at the same time! :rolleyes1 When I am out with my daughter, I am so focused on keeping my eye on her, and taking in all the scenery, that I just don't take the time to choose the best settings. The only time I can seem to focus enough to do that is when I am alone, taking pictures of flowers or whatever. Do you think it would be worth the investment if I primarily used auto mode? Because I really don't know how long (if ever) it will be before I learn the manual stuff.

Btw, sorry Jen for being off topic, but it is hard not to talk about photography during your TR with all your beautiful pictures. Forgive me! :flower3:

I used mine on auto mode for 5 years before I started learning how to use the settings. I think if you have a desire to eventually learn how to move out of auto, the it's great to get it now even if you use auto. I keep trying to get my friend to get creative, but she's pleased as punch with auto right now.

And FWIW.......... you need to know that camera stores often have incentives in place from the manufacturers (Nikon is the worst) to steer people to their line. I'd take that with a HUGE grain of salt.

If you want a broad range of opinions, then stop by the Photography forum here.

Actually, Sony bought Minolta when they entered the DSLR market. All of the old Minolta Maxuum lenses work on the Sony DSLR's I believe. Lots of people practically gave away their old Maxuum lenses (not me though.... never.....:rolleyes1) not knowing there was actually a new market for them. Live and learn I guess! But if you do your research, you could find some deals out there on older lenses.

Thats exactly what the guy told me, so I went home and searched for lenses, but couldn't find many at the time and most were pretty high, so I gave up. He said the camera was basically 100% Minolta technology.

Oh I am soooooo jealous!!! HE HAS TO LET YOU GO!!!! He would be the grump of all grumps if he didn't! :laughing: That REALLY sounds like a lot of fun. I always wanted to be a travel agent, but my fear of flying sent me in another direction. Oh the regret! :rolleyes: Anywho... here's lots of pixie dust for you!

:tink: pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust:

That's all the pixie dust the Dis will allow me to post!......... kind of stingy aren't they.

I hope so, but you never no with him.

Post away, I don't mind. I would say though to take the time to learn some of the manual modes. I was told back when I bought mine NOT to buy it if I was going to use auto all the time. I rarely use auto at all.

Also be careful with Nikon, I know there used to be a starter SLR (not sure if it is stil lthe case) but it only took certain lenses and you could opnly buy certain ones for it and I think you couldn't use them on the bigger models if you upgrade. I only know this because a girl I was on a moms forum with got really into photography and bought the starter Nikon and she said that. She eneded up getting a bigger camera na new lenses for it and kept that other as a spare. She has a business now though too.

I used mine on auto mode for 5 years before I started learning how to use the settings. I think if you have a desire to eventually learn how to move out of auto, the it's great to get it now even if you use auto. I keep trying to get my friend to get creative, but she's pleased as punch with auto right now.

And FWIW.......... you need to know that camera stores often have incentives in place from the manufacturers (Nikon is the worst) to steer people to their line. I'd take that with a HUGE grain of salt.

If you want a broad range of opinions, then stop by the Photography forum here.

Yes, I agree. And some wil lpush really ahrd one brand over another depending on what they like as well. I was really pushed hard with the Sony. And when I bought my son a P&S a few years ago, I looked at some and the guy really pushed Olympus, even though I told him I only wanted Canon.

Yes, I agree. And some wil lpush really ahrd one brand over another depending on what they like as well. I was really pushed hard with the Sony. And when I bought my son a P&S a few years ago, I looked at some and the guy really pushed Olympus, even though I told him I only wanted Canon.

The prevailing opinion on the photography forum is that they all take good photos.

But some will feel better ergonomically in your hands than others. Some like the feel of something substantial, some like something as small and light as they can get away with. For some the controls will seem more intuitive. Choose based on this, and the features for the money.

Take ANYTHING the sales reps tell you with a big fat grain of salt! :cool2:

working1.jpg
[/B][/COLOR]

Ok, ladies (since you said ask away..... you may end up regretting that ;) ) take this picture for example. This may sound stupid, but it has the SLR "look" to me. Maybe it is b/c part is in focus and part is out of focus???? Those types of pictures seem to have that SLR look (sorry but I have no better way to describe it than that). Is this something that can only be done with a SLR or (if I can figure it out) can it be done with a high end point and shoot? For the most part, I feel like my pictures are almost as crisp and clear as ones I see from an SLR, they just don't have that depth feel to them. If that is something that my camera can do, then I'd like to just practice that technique before I take the plunge. I hope this doesn't sound completely dumb! :confused:

Btw, I just noticed it, but that one guy has some really big hair! :laughing:

The prevailing opinion on the photography forum is that they all take good photos.

But some will feel better ergonomically in your hands than others. Some like the feel of something substantial, some like something as small and light as they can get away with. For some the controls will seem more intuitive. Choose based on this, and the features for the money.

Take ANYTHING the sales reps tell you with a big fat grain of salt! :cool2:

Yep! :lmao:

I did like the way my rebel felt the best. It took me awhile to get used to the 50D, but now it feels so natural. It is a lot heavier. I still have my rebel, even though the cad spot has a broken pin (mine took CF cards) and it is so light to hold. I alway say someday I'll get it fixed, but I don't know when someday will be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter