• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A Grand Vacation: The 2012 Grand Floridian FAQ!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello from GF, just have a few minutes to post while my children and DH are at the pool.

We are having a wonderful time, the construction has really NOT impacted our stay at all. It has been a magical time at the GF even though we need our own personal boat to get around:rolleyes1:rolleyes1due to all the rain.

I will answer one question I have seen by mentioning that we have been told that the kid's club is closing for good. We have been told that much updating is in the works for the whole resort. Sandy Cove to be expanded/updated, Gasparillas's will be expanded with a possibility of the game room going away.

There is still much work to be done on both pools with most starting in Aug. The courtyard pool is being redone to feature zero entry and the beach pool is being enlarged and will feature a kids' water play area. There is more but I will do a full report when I return home next week.

Hope this helps some but remember this is information that has been provided to the CM's in concierge and much like the Fantasyland addition I am sure much could change along the way.

Also, just wanted to mention again how fabulous everyone has been and that the construction has been barely noticed by our family. Will take pictures and try to post when I return.

Thanks for the update, baler31! Glad you are enjoying your stay and the construction is not disrupting your vacation. Enjoy your time at the Grand!

Oh - if you happen to snap a photo of the interiors of either the GF Cafe or Narcoossee's, that would be great.:goodvibes If you don't have time, no big deal - have fun!:hug:

Oh LOrd I hope the ourtyard pool will not start construction this weekend..lol thats where we had planned on going since its right outside SL..

Thanks baler31 for the info.
Hmm....... anyway to know when Gaspirillas will be down? If that and the pools are down in December, I would like to know now so we can change resorts! This does not give me a good feeling......

Hello from GF, just have a few minutes to post while my children and DH are at the pool.

We are having a wonderful time, the construction has really NOT impacted our stay at all. It has been a magical time at the GF even though we need our own personal boat to get around:rolleyes1:rolleyes1due to all the rain.

I will answer one question I have seen by mentioning that we have been told that the kid's club is closing for good. We have been told that much updating is in the works for the whole resort. Sandy Cove to be expanded/updated, Gasparillas's will be expanded with a possibility of the game room going away.

There is still much work to be done on both pools with most starting in Aug. The courtyard pool is being redone to feature zero entry and the beach pool is being enlarged and will feature a kids' water play area. There is more but I will do a full report when I return home next week.

Hope this helps some but remember this is information that has been provided to the CM's in concierge and much like the Fantasyland addition I am sure much could change along the way.

Also, just wanted to mention again how fabulous everyone has been and that the construction has been barely noticed by our family. Will take pictures and try to post when I return.

they're going to close the main pool at a time when they are ripping the area apart near the other pool????? you've got to be kidding me??????:headache::headache::headache:

Sorry for all the rain! Glad your trip is great...working on pools in August..ugh! Hopefully not BOTH at he sametime I hope....enjoy your trip! :love:

they're going to close the main pool at a time when they are ripping the area apart near the other pool????? you've got to be kidding me??????:headache::headache::headache:

My thoughts exactly.:headache: I'm hoping when baler31 gives us more info, the plan is to finish one before starting the other.:confused:

baler31 - I thought of a question, if you see this before you leave the Grand. Is the wired internet access completely gone? Nothing available which is more secure than the free wifi now offered? Thanks!

Hope you are having a magical day.:wizard:

Were you told the Mouseketeer Club will be closing for a period of time while renovating - or is it closing permanently? I'm asking because I am not sure if the DVC resorts have a kid's club AND the Community Hall kids' activities.:confused: If not, the GF club may be set to end.

At the time I did not think to ask if the closing was temp or perm- I was more concernd with changing my Narcoossee reservation to fit when I could get te GF Mouseketeer Club- They had suggested the Poly. I will be there in 46 days- and will certainly find out the details then if not before and post them.

My thoughts exactly.:headache: I'm hoping when baler31 gives us more info, the plan is to finish one before starting the other.:confused:

Agreed! I had already decided after seeing the pictures that we probably won't go with a cabana during our trip to GF this October, but now I'm not even sure there will be a pool! We had planned on spending most of our time while at GF just relaxing at the resort, but that might not be an option at this point.

I guess we'll wait and see! Plenty of time for things to change, that's for certain!:goodvibes

Awww - so sorry!:hug: I know how much you were looking forward to being back at the Grand. I certainly understand the feeling about the construction, we felt the same. As I've mentioned, we would only stay at the GF during construction if there was a terrific discount, and at the moment it is decidedly not.:headache:

I'm glad YC is another favorite, and I'm sure you'll have a great time. SAB in the summer is so awesome!:banana:

Hope you'll continue to visit us, even though you are not staying at the GF this trip.:goodvibes

The more DH thought about it the more he was not happy. He doesn't mind spending the money on the GF but not when there is construction. Knowing what it was like before the construction and sitting at the feature pool, we know in our hearts that we will not be happy.

I am a GF girl to the bone so I am not going anywhere.:hug:

CoachBagFanatic, sorry to hear you won't be staying at the GF this trip, however at least you are in another favorite resort. And you can go over to the GF and visit! :cloud9:

Oh we are definitely going to be visiting the GF and we will be taking some photos.:hippie:

Thank you for the reassurance about staying DVC! And I have already done quite a bit of research on the YC/BC thread, which I agree is super helpful! I have just grown accustomed to the posters on this thread. ;) Have a great stay at the GF RPC and BCV! So jealous your trip is so soon!

My pleasure. Don't you just love the posters on this thread. There is so much warmth and love here, even if you weren't a GF guest/lover, they make you feel like one.:hug:

I'm so very sorry that you don't get to stay at the Grand!! In reading some of your posts, I could feel how excited you were. :guilty:

I'm glad, though, that you love the YC and get to stay there instead. It will still be a wonderful vacation for you. :thumbsup2

And when you get to go back to the GF to stay in the future, she will be in tip top shape once again!

:cloud9:

I am still disappointed but as you said, just thinking of our future GF trip. She will be as lovely as ever.:cloud9:

CoachBagFanatic, I'm so sorry to learn of your change. However, YC and BLT do make for a great split and I'm glad it's another favorite of yours. I love it, too.

Hey there lovely lady.:wave2: Yes, you are correct, YC and BLT. Outside of the GF you can't get any better than that.

:hug: I COMPLETELY understand how you are feeling. A MK/Epcot split...perfecto! And the Grand is there for a future trip!!! Plus from BLT you are just 2 monorail stops from a visit! :goodvibes

Oh pas130 when DH woke up that morning and said I want to talk about the GF. I knew.:sick: But I also knew he was right. Even though we were fully aware of the construction and convincing ourselves that we are going to love it no matter what, we both were like, what if we get there and we are not happy. I don't want to remember the GF that way. So there definitely is a future trip for us.:woohoo:

Oh pas130 when DH woke up that morning and said I want to talk about the GF. I knew.:sick: But I also knew he was right. Even though we were fully aware of the construction and convincing ourselves that we are going to love it no matter what, we both were like, what if we get there and we are not happy. I don't want to remember the GF that way. So there definitely is a future trip for us.:woohoo:

:hug:My daughter comes home everyday...mommy you didn't change our trip...:laughing: I won't, the girl is still Grand..the pool issue...eh. not pleased but HRH and I won't do much swimming...and hey maybe we will get to swim at the Poly...not a bad trade off :love:

How excited are you, you'll be there soon :banana::banana::banana:

Just dropping in to say Hi to everyone! :wave2: No GF this trip but a nice long trip planned with a new resort. I want to keep my hand in this GF thread as I have thought about next year and hope to return to the Grand.

Have a wonderful day everyone!

Angel16

pas - aww, so sweet your girl wants to be sure you don't move her from the Grand!:cutie:

I posted a review of our recent GF RPC stay here.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2941085

I'd love if if anyone would like to come check it out. :goodvibes

Thanks again for all of your help k&a&c'smom! We loved the Grand! :love:

You are so welcome!:hug: I've read through your thread up to and including your GF review - gonna read the rest, but had to head back over here to comment on your incredible upgrade!:dance3: Awesome, I'm so happy for you and your family. Glad the Grand rolled out the red carpet.

At the time I did not think to ask if the closing was temp or perm- I was more concernd with changing my Narcoossee reservation to fit when I could get te GF Mouseketeer Club- They had suggested the Poly. I will be there in 46 days- and will certainly find out the details then if not before and post them.

Thanks! I don't blame you, of course you were focused on getting your dinner reservations lined out.:flower3: baler31 is at the resort now, and asked CL CMs about the kids' club. This is what she had to say: we have been told that the kid's club is closing for good. We have been told that much updating is in the works for the whole resort.

I'm assuming the closure is due to the DVC, there will be kids activities related to the DVC Community Hall, I'm sure.

Agreed! I had already decided after seeing the pictures that we probably won't go with a cabana during our trip to GF this October, but now I'm not even sure there will be a pool! We had planned on spending most of our time while at GF just relaxing at the resort, but that might not be an option at this point.

I guess we'll wait and see! Plenty of time for things to change, that's for certain!:goodvibes

Sounds dire, doesn't it?!:eek: I'm hoping when we hear more details, it is as suspected - they will finish the beach pool before starting the courtyard pool. Still, an awful lot of construction to be done right smack in the middle of the resort. Yikes.

The more DH thought about it the more he was not happy. He doesn't mind spending the money on the GF but not when there is construction. Knowing what it was like before the construction and sitting at the feature pool, we know in our hearts that we will not be happy.

I am a GF girl to the bone so I am not going anywhere.:hug:

YAY! So glad you'll be keeping up with us, even while you are planning your YC/BLT visit. Won't be long now.:banana:

I completely understand your DH's feelings.:hug:

My pleasure. Don't you just love the posters on this thread. There is so much warmth and love here, even if you weren't a GF guest/lover, they make you feel like one.:hug:

Everyone on this thread is so warm and kind, and eager to assist.:grouphug:

Just dropping in to say Hi to everyone! :wave2: No GF this trip but a nice long trip planned with a new resort. I want to keep my hand in this GF thread as I have thought about next year and hope to return to the Grand.

Have a wonderful day everyone!

Angel16

Hi back atcha!:wave: Glad you've popped in, we'd love to hear from you more often.:hug:

Looks like you are heading to another favorite of ours, AKL!:cloud9:

I'm hoping they aren't going to tell everyone to go use the pool at the Poly... like they did when the poly pool was being worked on and provided a boat over to the GF pool..

Tink rules - that seems like a tough sell, doesn't it?!:crowded: The GF pool has always been pretty quiet, whereas the Poly pool is always full. I'm sure the Poly guests would be none too pleased, either.

Let's hope it doesn't come to that.:grouphug:

Hmmm. Still no packing done. Suitcases haven't even made it out of the attic. I know we are only going for four nights but I still can't figure out when we are going to have time to pull everything together in the next two days.

Hmmm. Still no packing done. Suitcases haven't even made it out of the attic. I know we are only going for four nights but I still can't figure out when we are going to have time to pull everything together in the next two days.

LOL about the attic! I'll bet you ARE starting to wonder when you'll have time to pack, with everything going on. Hopefully, it will all come together and you'll soon be on your way to the World.:goodvibes

This is a silly question unless there is a construction project manager on this thread, so, sorry for posing it. But . . . let's say they really are going to refurb both pools beginning August or this fall. How long would you all think that work might take?

Our GF trip isn't until April, 2013 (our first to GF) but I can't help but wonder what might be under construction while we're there. Thanks for any super-prescient insight!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter