• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A Grand Vacation: The 2012 Grand Floridian FAQ!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We stayed at GF last April, requested room 4021 and we got it! I'd post pics, but it pretty much looks just like the other pictures here.

I will say though that they need to take some WD40 to the bed! Every little movement made it sound like we were truly sleeping with the mouse! :rotfl2:

We stayed at GF last April, requested room 4021 and we got it! I'd post pics, but it pretty much looks just like the other pictures here.

I will say though that they need to take some WD40 to the bed! Every little movement made it sound like we were truly sleeping with the mouse! :rotfl2:

Welcome!:goodvibes Glad you've joined us!

The turret king room 4021 is our favorite room in WDW.:lovestruc Love the views from the 5th floor, so pretty. I have some photos of that room on the first page (in fact, the fridge picture above was taken in 4021), but we are always glad to see more.::yes::

LOL about the WD40.

Love the views from the 5th floor, so pretty. .

Definately an awesome view! One night we went back to the room early and the timing was just right in that we saw the water pagent, Wishes, and the fireworks at Epcot all at the same time!

Was going to post recent pics - but apparently I don't have enough posts to do that...:sad1:

Yes, the studio will have a toaster as well as a small coffeepot. I've read that you can request a full size one if you want. I think they used to be full size?? :confused3 There will be four ceramic mugs, four glasses and a few paper plates and plastic silverware....enough for four I suppose.

Have fun!

Thanks so much again for the info! Glad to hear this. :thumbsup2

This may help with the not so cold fridges.. At the Poly we would always leave the cabinet door slightly open, it seemed it would over work it self with the door closed b/c it didnt have any room the breath? Make any sense? We did notice a difference with it open so maybe keep it half cracked..

KCmike - welcome back! Thanks for the link, I will head over to read it in a bit. ETA: oops! You haven't gone yet, lol. I thought I must be losing track of time.;)

DaninDefiance - the panoramic view is gorgeous, isn't it?! Catching everything at once is awesome! Love it when that happens.

I think it is 10 posts, so we'll be looking forward to your photos soon.:thumbsup2

This may help with the not so cold fridges.. At the Poly we would always leave the cabinet door slightly open, it seemed it would over work it self with the door closed b/c it didnt have any room the breath? Make any sense? We did notice a difference with it open so maybe keep it half cracked..

Thanks, we have tried this, but doesn't seem to work for me.:laughing: We always keep the wooden door open a bit, but the stuff in the fridge is barely cold. That's why I only keep drinks in it, no leftovers - too afraid they don't stay cold enough.:scared:

Thanks for all the info. This helps a lot.

Beverages: Best answer: No leftover wine allowed. Chill the bottle in the ice bucket, and finish the whole thing sitting on the balcony at night. No leftovers to put in the fridge! Problem solved. Get juice at Gasparilla's, pay if needed, may decide on coffee anyway. Let the kids have the fridge for semi-chilled water and soda, and DH have a couple of cool-ish Sam Adams. Get fruity drinks by the pool for moi!

STORAGE: DD22 gets a spot under the sink. She is easy-going and travels lightest. DD18 gets the luggage rack in the closet and the closet floor, because she explodes over all the space she is given. DH and I get the 4 drawers. We all hang some things.

ROOM REQUEST: Version 23a. "Boca Chica or Conch Key, non-dormer, upper floor". Since I have garden view room, I should get resort side with this and not water-view, since I didn't upgrade for that, right?

Are these good compromises?:woohoo: ONLY 55 DAYS!

Only four more days. YIKES. DD8 is doing a mini-cheer camp all week (not a sleepover) DD13 is at a sleepover swim camp all week and she comes home on Thursday afternoon. Then she has a summer swim team meet that night (with DD8) then the next morning she has her regular swim team practice from 7:30 - 9. Then DD8 has her cheer show at around 11 a.m. From there, right to the airport for our flight to get to the GF. Going to be a BUSY CRAZY end of the week. Wonder when we will all pack? Can't wait to see the girls' eyes when they see that we are headed to Sugarloaf and not just any outer building like they think. Happy Monday to all!

Jeff

pas - LOL! I guess DH knows where he fits in.;)

jd99 - How exciting!:yay: Four days to go, and they will speed by with all you have booked. Busy indeed!:faint: Good luck with the packing, and kudos on keeping the SL secret.

Happy Monday back to you, and a great week.

Thanks for all the info. This helps a lot.

Beverages: Best answer: No leftover wine allowed. Chill the bottle in the ice bucket, and finish the whole thing sitting on the balcony at night. No leftovers to put in the fridge! Problem solved. Get juice at Gasparilla's, pay if needed, may decide on coffee anyway. Let the kids have the fridge for semi-chilled water and soda, and DH have a couple of cool-ish Sam Adams. Get fruity drinks by the pool for moi!

STORAGE: DD22 gets a spot under the sink. She is easy-going and travels lightest. DD18 gets the luggage rack in the closet and the closet floor, because she explodes over all the space she is given. DH and I get the 4 drawers. We all hang some things.

ROOM REQUEST: Version 23a. "Boca Chica or Conch Key, non-dormer, upper floor". Since I have garden view room, I should get resort side with this and not water-view, since I didn't upgrade for that, right?

Are these good compromises?:woohoo: ONLY 55 DAYS!

This entire response made me laugh.;) I love your solution for the wine and the "semi-chilled" and "coolish" descriptions - so funny! I love the fruity drinks by the pool, one of our favorite pastimes.:thumbsup2

Everything sounds like a good plan. We buy our juice from Gasparilla's, too, DD(22 y.o.) and I split one in the a.m. Or, you could always do what we did at the US resorts and get an inexpensive cooler, place it under the sink. Kind of a pain to drain out the water and refill each day, but you can keep a larger juice that way. Leave it behind when you check out if space is an issue. (Prius;) )

With a garden view, you should have a courtyard view at Boca, unless they decide to upgrade you on their own. With Conch, there is a chance for a marina view (same category as "garden view") - so either give only Boca as the building request or add "...Conch Key, pool side". When you check in, chat with the CM there and explain you would prefer to look at the courtyard, unless they see their way to giving you an upgrade to a castle view.;)

Good morning all, just catching up :coffee:

kcmike, :wave2:. Excited for your trip report. Thank you for the link!

ParrotheadGoofy, as long as you are creative there is enough storage room in the GF standard rooms. The safe in the closet has two shelves, plenty of room for tee shirts & shorts. We ask housekeeping to take away the extra blanket in the closet and use the top shelf for sweatshirts (not in the summer obviously), Pj's etc. We keep a suitcase on the suitcase rack...good place to store dirty clothes and we always ask for extra hangers. I have been known to throw a bunch of wire/dry cleaner hangers in my suitcase and just leave them at the GF when we are done. I suppose if you aren't using the fridge you could store clothes in there also!!! :lmao:

Speaking of fridges, I thought I would echo what has been said, it is really only good for water, soda etc.

Lulu'smom is heading to WDW later this week. So excited for her to visit the GF!

k&a&c'smom, I showed my DH the pictures of the amazing patio off the suite at the end of Sago Cay. He agreed it looked like an amazing place, :goodvibes, maybe someday :cloud9:

Today was "suppose" to start our Disney trip @ BC but I've been doctoring with a uti and haven't gotten the relief I was suppose to so our trip has been pushed ahead couple that with a tree falling on a house we were renovating for our son. Sounds crazy doesn't it???? In rearranging the trip I was unable to get 6 days at the BC so I was given the opportunity to stay at the GF for 3 days of our trip! Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would be staying at the GF. Actually I still can't believe it. I don't even know where to begin. Those on the BC/YC thread are so helpful I thought I'd post here also to see what kind of tips I can get. I've read in the past about the monorail being down for certain times. Is this still in place and what are the times that I'll be unable to use it. I'll be reading over the first page (probably over and over) too. Thanks Again for any suggestions you can give me!!!!!! :)

pas - LOL! I guess DH knows where he fits in.;)
Sadly he does :laughing:

Lulu'smom is heading to WDW later this week. So excited for her to visit the GF!
Yeah for her :cool1: So HAPPY to hear, thank you Sarah! I guess I never "really caught up" since coming back! Hope those horrible storms last night missed your house :hug:

Today was "suppose" to start our Disney trip @ BC but I've been doctoring with a uti and haven't gotten the relief I was suppose to so our trip has been pushed ahead couple that with a tree falling on a house we were renovating for our son. Sounds crazy doesn't it???? In rearranging the trip I was unable to get 6 days at the BC so I was given the opportunity to stay at the GF for 3 days of our trip! Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would be staying at the GF. Actually I still can't believe it. I don't even know where to begin. Those on the BC/YC thread are so helpful I thought I'd post here also to see what kind of tips I can get. I've read in the past about the monorail being down for certain times. Is this still in place and what are the times that I'll be unable to use it. I'll be reading over the first page (probably over and over) too. Thanks Again for any suggestions you can give me!!!!!! :)
SOOOO 2 negatives equal a positive. Congrats on your BC/GF split...read, re-read, ask away. No monorail issues our trip (but we just visited GF one day, midday. All was up and running. Hope you feel better soo...lots of water and juice. Stay hydrated!!!:flower3:

Only four more days. YIKES. DD8 is doing a mini-cheer camp all week (not a sleepover) DD13 is at a sleepover swim camp all week and she comes home on Thursday afternoon. Then she has a summer swim team meet that night (with DD8) then the next morning she has her regular swim team practice from 7:30 - 9. Then DD8 has her cheer show at around 11 a.m. From there, right to the airport for our flight to get to the GF. Going to be a BUSY CRAZY end of the week. Wonder when we will all pack? Can't wait to see the girls' eyes when they see that we are headed to Sugarloaf and not just any outer building like they think. Happy Monday to all!

Jeff

jd99, how long are you going to be at GF? We are heading there on Sunday! Maybe we will see you! Look for us - it will be me, my sister (20, but looks 15) and my almost 8-month-old son! DH is there too, but he'll be at his conference the whole time.

I'm having packing stress too - the baby requires so much stuff, and I can't pack until he's sleeping!

jd99, how long are you going to be at GF? We are heading there on Sunday! Maybe we will see you! Look for us - it will be me, my sister (20, but looks 15) and my almost 8-month-old son! DH is there too, but he'll be at his conference the whole time.

I'm having packing stress too - the baby requires so much stuff, and I can't pack until he's sleeping!

We are there until Tuesday and will be trying our best to enjoy the GF as it has been about 2 years since our last stay there. We didn't even bat an eye about the construction. :rotfl2: As DVC members, we are waiting on that to be finished so we can buy in and work in more GF stays than ever!!!!

I called at my 180 date to reserve kids club at the GF (we are staying there) while DH and I have our anniversary dinner at Citricos. They are not taking reservations because they say that it will be under renovations starting in Aug - or ending in August?? Thanks!

You are correct- I booked my Kids on July 31- The last day the Kids Club will be open

Has Anyone stayed in the Lodge Tower room in Sugar Loaf- Do they have balconies? Are they normal sized balconies?

Thanks-

Jungle Cruiser - we'll all have to start playing the lottery, as someone posted earlier!:thumbsup2

pas - :rotfl:

beckysko - thanks for the info regarding the President's schedule, I'm sure it will help someone!:goodvibes BTW - the link provided said Mitt Romney will be there on the 21st, so probably as much disruption on that day, too.

I doubt the President stays on property, they likely whisk him back to a more secure location.

lynn46356 - Welcome!:yay: Sorry to hear about your misfortunes, but hopefully everything will turn out well and you'll soon be on your way. Congrats on the BC/GF split, both lovely resorts.

From our discussion with a monorail CM last month, there is no set schedule for monorail stoppage. When the construction gets too close to the line, they stop the monorail and a CM goes out to watch until it is clear, then radios to the pilots. So, you may go your whole visit without any problems at all.pixiedust:

You are correct- I booked my Kids on July 31- The last day the Kids Club will be open

Welcome!:goodvibes

Were you told the Mouseketeer Club will be closing for a period of time while renovating - or is it closing permanently? I'm asking because I am not sure if the DVC resorts have a kid's club AND the Community Hall kids' activities.:confused: If not, the GF club may be set to end.

Has Anyone stayed in the Lodge Tower room in Sugar Loaf- Do they have balconies? Are they normal sized balconies?

Thanks-

I have not stayed in those rooms, but Lulu'sMom reported in an old thread that one or two do NOT have balconies, while the others do. I'll have to look up the old post to be sure which rooms have them.:flower3:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter