A Grand Vacation: The 2012 Grand Floridian FAQ!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Polynesian has always been our favorite but due to no military rate GV rooms being available, are thinking about staying at the Grand Floridian for the first time in May. I've visited the Grand several times and of course think that the grounds are gorgeous. Is comparing the Poly to Grand just completely apples to oranges? I feel like I get a certain nostalgia and "feel" like I'm at Disney when I'm at the Poly. I'm worried that staying at the Grand will just feel like I'm at a nice hotel. Please give me some pixie dust or reassurance that we need to give the Grand a shot :)

I did feel the same way as you. We booked the GF, but we kept saying Poly (we went with another family who "had" to stay at the GF). On our first day, when we rode on the monorail past the Poly, we kept saying Poly. And when we went to the dinner show at the Poly (which stunk), we kept saying Poly.
But when the week was over, we were really happy at the GF. If you don't stay there, you will never know. It definitely did not feel "stuffy" being a guest there. And we did fell like we got away on a vacation and didn't have Disney in our face, just not with the same foliage.

Keep in mind the construction at each resort. I would work around that.

Either way you are at a nice place. Enjoy. It's not like you are staying in a dumpy motel.

The Polynesian has always been our favorite but due to no military rate GV rooms being available, are thinking about staying at the Grand Floridian for the first time in May. I've visited the Grand several times and of course think that the grounds are gorgeous. Is comparing the Poly to Grand just completely apples to oranges? I feel like I get a certain nostalgia and "feel" like I'm at Disney when I'm at the Poly. I'm worried that staying at the Grand will just feel like I'm at a nice hotel. Please give me some pixie dust or reassurance that we need to give the Grand a shot :)

I've never stayed at the Poly, but we stayed at the Grand for the first time in 2010. It spoiled us completely. I honestly cannot say enough great things about the Grand and just how purely magical the CM's make everything during your stay. You won't feel at all like it's "just a nice hotel", you'll be transported to another era where it's just lovely. The CM's are SO friendly and truly go out of their way to make everything so special. The rooms and the views are wonderful. It was my birthday when we went... they upgraded us to a castle view and put in our room a big chocolate Mickey w/ choc covered strawberries, a red rose, a card from the characters and a white chocolate GF postcard. It's hard not to fall in love....pixiedust: I literally cried our first day when we walked in our room.

I think that comparing the Poly to the Grand are two totally different things. It would be like asking if you vacationed in Hawaii for all these years, would you like London equally as well. It's not going to be the same feeling. While the GF has a more "proper" feeling to it, please don't feel like that translates to "stuffy or snotty", because it doesn't. We took our DD there and she was 4 1/2. Never once did I feel like we were out of place with a child or that it was too stuffy. Quite the opposite. I think that both the Poly and the GF have their great points and if you are willing to try the GF once, just jump in and do it but go in with a fresh mind and not compare it.

When we were figuring out where to stay for our next trip (next June) we went around and around where to stay. Our minds kept sneaking back to the GF. But what if we don't get a discount, what if we don't get a pin.... well, finally we just said, look...we've been saving for 3 years, so lets go back to where we want to go....the Grand. If we get a discount code, great, if we don't, that's fine. But here's the thing... it's alot of money no matter where you stay, so stay where it's going to make your heart feel happy. For us, we don't go every year. We were going to stay at the Poly or CR, but my DH kept saying "are we going to look across the lagoon and wish we were at the Grand?". I knew the answer because the Grand ruined him for anything else. ;)

For us, the Grand is a magical Disney experience and I wouldn't trade it for the world. Whatever you choose, I hope your trip is wonderful !!

My family feels the same way too !
We stayed once at another resort but our hearts are at the Grand!!!!

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!!!!!:wave2:

sydneysmom said:
I've never stayed at the Poly, but we stayed at the Grand for the first time in 2010. It spoiled us completely. I honestly cannot say enough great things about the Grand and just how purely magical the CM's make everything during your stay. You won't feel at all like it's "just a nice hotel", you'll be transported to another era where it's just lovely. The CM's are SO friendly and truly go out of their way to make everything so special. The rooms and the views are wonderful. It was my birthday when we went... they upgraded us to a castle view and put in our room a big chocolate Mickey w/ choc covered strawberries, a red rose, a card from the characters and a white chocolate GF postcard. It's hard not to fall in love....pixiedust: I literally cried our first day when we walked in our room.

I think that comparing the Poly to the Grand are two totally different things. It would be like asking if you vacationed in Hawaii for all these years, would you like London equally as well. It's not going to be the same feeling. While the GF has a more "proper" feeling to it, please don't feel like that translates to "stuffy or snotty", because it doesn't. We took our DD there and she was 4 1/2. Never once did I feel like we were out of place with a child or that it was too stuffy. Quite the opposite. I think that both the Poly and the GF have their great points and if you are willing to try the GF once, just jump in and do it but go in with a fresh mind and not compare it.

When we were figuring out where to stay for our next trip (next June) we went around and around where to stay. Our minds kept sneaking back to the GF. But what if we don't get a discount, what if we don't get a pin.... well, finally we just said, look...we've been saving for 3 years, so lets go back to where we want to go....the Grand. If we get a discount code, great, if we don't, that's fine. But here's the thing... it's alot of money no matter where you stay, so stay where it's going to make your heart feel happy. For us, we don't go every year. We were going to stay at the Poly or CR, but my DH kept saying "are we going to look across the lagoon and wish we were at the Grand?". I knew the answer because the Grand ruined him for anything else. ;)

For us, the Grand is a magical Disney experience and I wouldn't trade it for the world. Whatever you choose, I hope your trip is wonderful !!

Do all rooms get chocolate covered strawberries, a rose, card, etc or was that concierge level?

We have been to the grand staying TPV the last few times. This time we are staying lagoon view.Does anyone know what are the better buildings with lagoon view that maybe we could see the castle just a little bit? We have stayed in the conch Key and Sago before with TPV. Thanks

We have been to the grand staying TPV the last few times. This time we are staying lagoon view.Does anyone know what are the better buildings with lagoon view that maybe we could see the castle just a little bit? We have stayed in the conch Key and Sago before with TPV. Thanks

You'll most likely be in Big Pine Key facing the Wedding Pavilion and Polynesian. I did have the view before the villa construction began, but we actually enjoyed it quite a bit. It is a very relaxing, gorgeous view. We were on the second floor and it seemed like we were close to the water, I liked seeing the boats on their way to the Polynesian.

As to if some of them have a partial castle view, I don't know. We haven't been able to confirm where exactly the lagoon vs TPV rooms are, as I and some other posters have had rooms that we believe should be lagoon but we've paid for TPV with them. My best guess is still that lagoon would only be south facing in Big Pine Key, the rest of the lagoon facing rooms would be TPV. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Thank you CaliforniaDreaming for your help I guess we will have to see when we get there I think one year we were in the conch key building facing the little boats you rent when we had lagoon view if I'm not mistaken I just don't remember:scratchin

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

It is nice to see that Sandy Cove has Grand Floridian specific merchandise. Can't wait until I get there to buy a new T-shirt. To me, this has the look of what Gasparilla looked like, just a bit.

It doesn't happen very often.. sometimes if they know you are celebrating something but even then... it's never guaranteed...

In other words... don't expect it... be surprised if it happens...

Just looked at the pictures of Sandy Cove, it looks great. It is nice to see all the Disney Resort themed merchandise :)

I was happy to see the GF Spa is opening in mid December. It is just so great to see things that have been under construction begin to reopen. I think having the spa open again may help to make the walk from the GF to the Polynesian seem less like walking through a construction area.

Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving!

Just looked at the pictures of Sandy Cove, it looks great. It is nice to see all the Disney Resort themed merchandise :)

I was happy to see the GF Spa is opening in mid December. It is just so great to see things that have been under construction begin to reopen. I think having the spa open again may help to make the walk from the GF to the Polynesian seem less like walking through a construction area.

Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving!

My girls and I are planning a Spa day already!!! Since they are little, it will be mani/pedis...the new Spa looks great!! Ahhhhh, trying not to wish 2013 away to get to Summer :lovestruc

Hello, GF lovers!!:goodvibes Sorry I've been MIA, it has been a very busy week. I'll catch up on the last few pages later today.

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving, and for those of you who braved Black Friday - hope you scored some huge bargains!:thumbsup2

Does anyone know if the GF still sells roasted chestnuts? They used to have a gentleman roasting them outside by the valet and selling them for a few bucks a cup...usually in the afternoon up to 6pm.

My hubby just loved this and is hoping it is still happening

Does anyone know if the GF still sells roasted chestnuts? They used to have a gentleman roasting them outside by the valet and selling them for a few bucks a cup...usually in the afternoon up to 6pm.

My hubby just loved this and is hoping it is still happening

Yes, they still roast them outside the entrance in the afternoon, at least as of last year. However, we never had to pay for them, they were complimentary. :)

Yes, they still roast them outside the entrance in the afternoon, at least as of last year. However, we never had to pay for them, they were complimentary. :)

It's been a few years for me, but I never remember paying for them either.

Mouseturtle, enjoy your trip, I can't wait to see pictures! :cool1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter