A Grand Vacation: The 2012 Grand Floridian FAQ!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, we are officially booked for an MK view (outer building). January 10-13. Can't wait.

:goodvibes

How many days/weeks/months ahead do you need to rent a cabana to ensure availability? thanks. :beach:

I have seen posts that stated guests called just days before and were able to rent a cabana, but you CAN rent up to 180 days out. Just give a cc to hold it.

Hey guys its me again! I just keep coming back for answers to my questions because you guys are so helpful :)

The morning of our wedding I will be getting my hair and make up done in our room with my mom and my fiances mom. I wanted to order room service for that morning (after 6 am - because I think I read some where thats when it starts). Does anyone have the phone number so that I could order ahead of time? I know they may not let me order this far in advance but I could just let them know room number when we get there? Even if I had to pay now to confirm. Also if anyone knows where I could find the menu for that so I could take orders of what they want now.

Thanks so much for any help that you can offer.

The Private Dining menu is at the bottom of the first page of this thread.:) There is a button on your in room phone, I don't think they will take the order until 24 hours ahead, but you can certainly call and ask them questions in advance. The number is 407-824-2474.

Online Checkin Question... There are threads about NOT being able to make a request with Online Chekc-In, but what about requests you have already made at the time of booking? We are arriving New Year's Day and saving well over $600 by staying that one night at POR. Then on to the GF LV! I figured that it might be smart to do online checkin for both when I am leaving Savannah for the last leg of the trip. Hopefully it will be that much quicker when we arrive :)

Any experience with this question? I was afraid to do online checkin last time too...

I have not had good luck with online check in - we've had problems with getting checked in at the resort, lost info, lost packet, slow online check in line vs. regular line, etc. However, others have had great luck with it and love it, so it's personal preference.

My advice is to wait if you want to discuss your room assignment and possibly switch. Online check in was designed to walk up, grab your packet and keys and go, without much chat with the CM.

Good luck!:wizard:

Does anyone have a pic of the courtyard renovations? We are staying in SL the last week of November, I always get a pool view but I am afraid of looking at the mess - is the marina view better, and is it very noisy on that side from the boats? I am going with 4 friends, 3 have never been to WDW and I want to get the nicest room I can (and I totally understand a request is just a request) - trying to imagine what it all looks like under construction and if that will affect much

Someone - cgulls? - posted a link to photos a few pages back. I'll see if I can find the link.:)

As jackson2422 posted, we did not hear any boat activity while on the marina side. Beautiful view (posted a photo in post #12 on the first page).

I can't comment on the construction, but we stayed in SL in August and I requested a marina view in anticipation of the pool closure. We lucked out in that the closure was postponed, but we didn't hear any boats at all, and in fact found the marina side very quiet and peaceful.

Welcome!:cheer2: Glad you were there before the courtyard pool renovations, we lucked out, too.

Hello Everyone :)

We are officially going in late January staying Deluxe RPC :cheer2:

This is going to be our last trip for a long time...or at least says my husband:confused3

So...I am trying to make this a really great trip! We were originally booked in a Deluxe King...I was always worried about not getting the Turret style...because our desire is more space...so, as it worked out when the Room Discounts came out I couldn't apply it to my King ressie but I could change to the Deluxe RPC with Queen beds....

So, now my question is...Do I want to "request" the square or triangle shaped room? Which feels larger? Which are located in the "quietest" place?

Anyone stay in these rooms and have a room number they would request again?

Hello!:wave2: Sorry to hear this may be the last trip for a while, but maybe after a bit your DH will feel the pull of the Mouse.;) We said our first trip would be a "once in a lifetime" trip for the kids - you see where that went.:laughing:

Way to go on snagging a deluxe with a discount - hard to do. There are 6 deluxe queen rooms, four over the courtyard on the 3rd and 4th floors (rooms end in 19 and 20, I think), and 2 over the beach pool (room numbers end in 22). The beach pool rooms are the triangular, courtyard are the rectangles. We've had one over the courtyard and loved it, tons of room - you can see photos of a similar room on page 1, posted by Lulu'sMom. There are photos in a past thread that minniesota posted of the triangular rooms, I'll see if I can find them.

And...one last question...does anyone know where to find a layout of the hotel (as far as where rooms are located...not the resort map...but one that shows, for example where 4022 is...does that make sense???)...it will help me figure out where to request a room...we don't want to be too close to the Concierge Club...I assume that is louder.

TIA,
Bridget

Room 4022 is on the fifth floor, next to a king deluxe room overlooking the beach pool. I believe this room is part of a suite. The triangular queen deluxe rooms are on the 3rd and 4th floors. Lulu'smom posted that some of the rooms in this area were converted to king rooms, but I believe those were standard queen rooms. I'll have to see if I can find that discussion.

I wondered if that exists as well -- I did find one for Wilderness Lodge and thought what a great way of making an online room request...."I'd like a room in the 5420-5428 location."

Tom

I have not found a room map similar to the one for the WL. Disneyzone has room maps for the Y&BC, but not the GF - wish they did, even though the ones for Y&B are a bit outdated, they are still helpful.

To all the GF veterans --- a friend of mine (part time travel agent) suggested the following as being the least expensive rooms with the best views:

Conch 7211, 7213, 7215, 7217, 7219, 7221 -- and, of course, the same rooms on the 3rd and 4th floor -- comments, thoughts, suggestions?

TIA

Tom

You may know this already, but the first number in the 4-digit room number denotes the building (building 7 is Conch, building 8 is Boca, building 9 is Big Pine, etc.), the second the floor and the last two the room number. According to the map, the room numbers in Conch start with 01 and run to 18, so I am not sure about 19 and 21...but the higher numbers are likely on the boat dock end, I think I had 7501 in 2007, and our room was on the SL end. Have to check that to be sure.

I would guess your friend is suggesting a request for the rooms closest to the boat dock end, as these rooms may be garden view category, but have an oblique view of the MK.:)

My understanding for requests is that you are more than likely to receive your requests if you list what you want as far as building and/or views, balcony...stuff like that. If you list room numbers, the CM assigning rooms won't know why you chose those numbers so if they aren't available he/she couldn't get you what you want.

I've heard this as well, makes sense. I have read of guests staying in the same room each year, but this is less often than those who didn't get what they wanted.

You can certainly discuss a particular room with the CM at check in, that may be a better way to get it - if it is open, there is little reason they won't let you have it. We have had this experience once at BC, got the room we had from the year prior - but we originally requested a general area rather than the specific room number.

Touringplans.com offers some insight on "better" rooms for each resort. It doesn't provide exactly what you're looking for (a building map with room numbers) but it might help a bit.

Thanks for the info.:thumbsup2

Happy Saturday everyone. :wave2: I called CRO this morning to put in our request for Conch Key.:cheer2::cool1::cheer2:

Now I have to wait for Christmas morning to make my ADR's.:hyper:

CoachBagFanatic said:
Happy Saturday everyone. :wave2: I called CRO this morning to put in our request for Conch Key.:cheer2::cool1::cheer2:

Now I have to wait for Christmas morning to make my ADR's.:hyper:

Happy Planning :)

Happy Planning :)

Thank you. Every time I think about us returning to the GF next June, I start to cry. I am also so excited to see the new court yard pool and what they have done to Gasparilla's as well. I so can't wait to walk into the lobby and just take a big deep breath. I love the small. Nothing like being home again. Ok I have to get my tissues now.:flower3:

Thank you. Every time I think about us returning to the GF next June, I start to cry. I am also so excited to see the new court yard pool and what they have done to Gasparilla's as well. I so can't wait to walk into the lobby and just take a big deep breath. I love the small. Nothing like being home again. Ok I have to get my tissues now.:flower3:

I know what you mean... I am more excited to return "home" in The end if August than for January in BW... :)
I can't wait to see the new Courtyard Pool and the Alice play area!!! :)

And that amazing scent in the lobby.....:cloud9:

At least it's not only my friends and family I confuse :rotfl: yes k&a&c'smom is correct...I DIDN't change to SL....it killed me not to book it .....:sad: Tell me again why I let the Princesses dicate when I book...OH, they are in charge, I forgot princess: I'm but a monorail stop away.....:bitelip:
I know Candace, my hand wants to dial CRO.....MUST RESIST :upsidedow

I'm just catching up and saw this, pas130. Looks like my reading comprehension isn't what it used to be :bitelip: Sorry you're not going to be at the GF this trip - but the Poly is just as wonderful. I love it and miss it so much :cloud9:

I can't wait to see photos from those of you who will soon be visiting the Grand :goodvibes

I know what you mean... I am more excited to return "home" in The end if August than for January in BW... :)
I can't wait to see the new Courtyard Pool and the Alice play area!!! :)

And that amazing scent in the lobby.....:cloud9:
Don't you wish you could bottle that wonderful scent and take it where ever you go.

Looks like my reading comprehension isn't what it used to be :bitelip:

I was thinking this very same thing when pas130 posted.:p Went back to read it again and it was like the V8 moment for me.:rotfl:

I think I am going to make a surprise ADR at Narcoossee's for the guys. We all really love the food there.

CoachBagFanatic said:

I, too, enjoy just being there. Walking around the shops, sitting on the balcony watching the people walking to and fro, stopping in at Gasparillas for a drink. Will stop by for a look this trip, can't ignore the gingerbread house and basin, and look forward to our next stay there.

Saw a couple pics of the new splash area...looks neat.

CoachBagFanatic - I buy Stargazer lilies occasionally. The smell always reminds my daughter and me of the GF :flower3:

Random question here--my wife likes to wake up early and shower/blow dry her hair without waking up the kids--is there a door between the sink/vanity area and the room or is it open to the room? Thanks so much! Considering a first stay there!

DisneylandDad said:
Random question here--my wife likes to wake up early and shower/blow dry her hair without waking up the kids--is there a door between the sink/vanity area and the room or is it open to the room? Thanks so much! Considering a first stay there!

There is a door between the shower and the vanity area, but not between the vanity and the room. The vanity area is off a short hall, but you can still hear the dryer from the beds.

I did not have a door between vanity and bed. I too was trying to dry my hair without waking dd. some days I was successful, others she woke up. I wonder if any resort has that without upgrading to a villa with one or more bedrooms..

HI All!!
I am new to this section of disboards. I am getting married in November and I booked a room at the Grand Floridian for me and all my girls to get ready in. It is a Outerbuilding deluxe room. I was wondering if anyone has stayed in this particular room and do you think it's big enough to get my hair and make up done in this room with 8 other people. Apparently it has a balcony with 2 queen beds and sitting area. Under the outline of the room the lady sent me from Disney, It says BI Lodge Tower 2 queen beds.

I would greatly appreciate if anyone could give me some advice. I am kind of stressing about this situation!!!

Thanks so much
Rebecca :cool1:

I did not have a door between vanity and bed. I too was trying to dry my hair without waking dd. some days I was successful, others she woke up. I wonder if any resort has that without upgrading to a villa with one or more bedrooms..

The regular rooms at the Contemporary Resort have a door to the bathroom area (sinks and shower/tub), with a inner door to the toilet. However, the CR also has the worst sink design in the world.

psac said:
The regular rooms at the Contemporary Resort have a door to the bathroom area (sinks and shower/tub), with a inner door to the toilet. However, the CR also has the worst sink design in the world.

I was thinking the same thing, but I do not like the bathrooms at the CR since the remodel.

As a side, when we heard of the construction at the Grand while we would be there decided to stay somewhere else. I was thinking of going back to the CR, but decided against it because of the bathrooms ! lol

I have to know why it is so bad :) Speaking of sinks....At the GF the sink to the right had hardly any cold water pressure, but the sink to the left had tons...My bro and I were racing each other to use that sink...Yes, we still act like we are 5 around each other :) AND, does anyone else think the handles move in the wrong direction? Maybe it was just our room but I could not for the life of me remember to move it correctly. I did like how the sinks were slightly outward facing though. It gives you just a little more room...

Tom - when are you leaving?

Rebecca - Congrats!!! What a lovely place to get married! If you were in my room it would be way to crowded, but I was not in a deluxe room, so I can't really say. Good Luck, it will be beautiful!

Happy Monday... :wave2:

Just checking to see the latest updates on Mizner and or any construction updates...:listen:

Cant wait for next week... :bitelip:

UPDATE: Pool side bar - is closing at 11pm.. Mizners closing at midnight. Per Julian at Concierge planning..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter