A Grand Vacation: The 2012 Grand Floridian FAQ!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, please keep this thread on topic. I just deleted more than 10 posts over a few pages that had nothing remotely to do with WDW or the GF, just a personal conversation among friends. The FAQ threads get unwieldy enough without all that off-topic stuff, and someone coming to this thread looking for information on the GF is not going to want to wade through post after post of personal chat.

If you want to talk about other topics, please use PMs, or check out our Community Board. Thanks!

KonaKaiTom said:
I'm going to request a Sago marina view first choice with Conch being my second choice. Thanks everyone for the guidance and suggestions. 3 weeks to go and I will be in WDW!!!!!

Tom

I am obviously way behind...This is what we request and will again the next time we are at the Grand. We really enjoyed it there :)

We are off this wknd to visit the college son in Indiana and my mom is coming down from Michigan...so it should be a good time.

Tom- I'm sure you noticed that the news media took note of us over here in this part of the state....once again for the wrong reasons :(

18 days to go, and now I'm wondering - I've booked a Outer Building, Garden View and was going to requet Sago Cay Marina view room in online checkin. Now I'm thinking that I might want to upgrade to TPV instead, is that something easily done once I get there? For example, if I check in and the room looks as fabulous as everyone describes GF and I look out on the balcony and am content, I might just stay there. But, what if I get there and say to myself, yes we are only going to sleep here, but when I have my morning coffee I want to be looking at the Castle -- are there generally TPV rooms available for a paid upgrade or should I book one from now?

TIA,

Tom

I received that email, too, Kook. Wish we would be there. We love Citricos. I saw the question about Citricos vs. Narcoossees. My DH and I prefer the food at Citricos. Although we love seafood, those dishes at Narcoossee's are a bit overwrought for my tastes. Lots of soy sauce currently which I don't enjoy. My two cents on that discussion. :goodvibes On the other hand, DD and DIL still love Narcoossees. Two good choices.

Does anyone else miss lunch at Narcoossee's? We loved spending the morning at MK and then taking the launch to lunch at Narcoossee's. :boat:

Tom, I don't know the answer to your question as we've not tried to upgrade after the fact. We love marina view from Sago Cay, Conch Key and Sugar Loaf. Maybe someone else has tried? If you really want TPV, I would book it now. That way you don't have to worry about availability nor will you waste time once you're at the resort.

We've been to WDW in every month except August. I love every month from October to very early May. I think each of those month has advantages. Summer...not my cup of tea. :upsidedow Of course, end of Nov through early January does have those wonderful decorations at the GF. Very special time indeed.

We love Boca Chica, it has a nice location for the boat and the courtyard pool. It should be open again by then (fingers crossed). Conch Key is my favorite building, near the boat dock, courtyard pool, marina and Gasparilla's. With the change a few years back to theme park view category, I'm not sure what rooms would still be classified "lagoon view" but I would guess any facing the lagoon with an obstructed MK view? Rooms overlooking the marina are part of the garden view category.

So...Since we have LV... If I request Conch Key, we will be looking to the monorail side/woods likely, and over the lagoon. Boca Chica seems to all look to the MK, if it is not GV. So how can the view be obstructed? I know that can happen, I just never paid attention to how... Are there any trees that close? Also, is Boca Chica closed for renovations? Or...? I'm trying to figure which to request 1st/2nd.

Thanks for the suggestions!

So...Since we have LV... If I request Conch Key, we will be looking to the monorail side/woods likely, and over the lagoon. Boca Chica seems to all look to the MK, if it is not GV. So how can the view be obstructed? I know that can happen, I just never paid attention to how... Are there any trees that close? Also, is Boca Chica closed for renovations? Or...? I'm trying to figure which to request 1st/2nd.

I think you got confused by the post -- the Courtyard Pool is currently closed for rennovations, Boca Chica is not closed.

Tom

Any word when beach walls will come down??
TIA

I'm wondering about that too. We are booked at AoA for 10 days in April 2013. Read the great reviews about AoA but we've stayed at deluxes almost every visit (stayed at POR last year and was totally bummed).. Don't want to spend a fortune to look at construction walls.

When will the beach walls come down??????

I think you got confused by the post -- the Courtyard Pool is currently closed for rennovations, Boca Chica is not closed.

Tom

Makes so much more sense!! I knew that the pool was closed... I am very hopeful the Courtyard Pool will be opened before New Year's as it is so pretty :) Thanks for the clarification!

Does any one know how many floors the new Grand Floridian DVC building is supposed to be. I was hoping that they would be working inside by our wedding December 8... but now Im not so sure.

Thanks

Does any one know how many floors the new Grand Floridian DVC building is supposed to be. I was hoping that they would be working inside by our wedding December 8... but now Im not so sure.

Thanks

Looking at the drawing on the DVC website, it appears that it will have five floors of villas on most of one wing and six floors on the wing closest to the lake. There is another "floor" that looks like it is all attic to me but that is a guess. It has dormers but in the photo there don't seem to be actual windows in those dormers?? Have you seen recent photos? I haven't. Good luck. You're getting close!!

I got a text from Angela from Magical Vacations... Labor Day 2013 - they have an awesome exclusive again for Grand Floridian / Yacht Club!! :goodvibes

So excited, Officially booked GF for aug 30 - Sept 2!!! pixiedust:

Now.. does anybody know where I can find some patience??? Desperately need it.. LOL

Thanks for the link! Interesting news about the spas. DD and I had pedicures while at the YC and there was talk of the salon getting a face lift. No one working there indicated they would be leaving after the renovations - either they didn't know, or they were expecting to be kept on.:scratchin

Thanks, too, for the info on the DVC building. I haven't checked out the latest news, I need to do some reading.:)

Makes so much more sense!! I knew that the pool was closed... I am very hopeful the Courtyard Pool will be opened before New Year's as it is so pretty :) Thanks for the clarification!

Glad Tom was able to help - I read my response and see how it could sound like Boca was closed!:blush: Sorry about that.

There are definitely trees close enough to Boca Chica (and Conch, and Sago, and Big Pine!) to obstruct an otherwise good theme park view. We had one in 2007, third floor if I recall. I'm not sure how they designated all the rooms in Conch Key that face Seven Seas Lagoon - some that have a side view of the lagoon and MK may be considered lagoon view rather than theme park view. Part of what makes it difficult is the marina view being in the garden view category - some of them technically have a side view of the lagoon, too.

So far, the courtyard pool is still scheduled to open late December. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for everyone headed there at that time.:wizard:

I'm wondering about that too. We are booked at AoA for 10 days in April 2013. Read the great reviews about AoA but we've stayed at deluxes almost every visit (stayed at POR last year and was totally bummed).. Don't want to spend a fortune to look at construction walls.

When will the beach walls come down??????

Welcome!:cheer2: I have not read of any news regarding the walls around the beach. My assumption has been they will keep them up until most, if not all of the DVC outdoor construction is completed.

So excited, Officially booked GF for aug 30 - Sept 2!!! pixiedust:

Now.. does anybody know where I can find some patience??? Desperately need it.. LOL

Congrats on the booking and snagging a great rate!:cool1: I can't help with the patience.:rotfl:

Thanks

Welcome!:goodvibes Best wishes for your upcoming wedding.:lovestruc I am hoping right along with you the outdoor construction is completed soon, for everyone with trips planned.:grouphug:

Oops! I seem to have missed a whole page of posts! WDWKOOK, thanks for the info about the TiW Citricos email.

Don't tell anyone, I'm not missing Christmas festivities after all -- apparently I am going to be staying at OKW from December 26-January 1. I didn't know the elves were making plans.:yay:

Tom

:yay:

We always visit the area but never stayed there.... It is BWV as we are renting points.... We always loved the area and wanted to try it and got a great deal... But Grand Floridian can not be beat... More excited for Sept that January.. LOL :goodvibes

LOL! I understand, the GF is obviously our favorite place to be.;) The Epcot resort area is quickly becoming our second favorite, though - I think you will have a great time in January.

Hurray! We booked our July vacation on Saturday for the GF RPC with TPV! I am so excited!!! I know, July is a long way away, but something to look forward to!

Woohoo!!:cool1: RPC, very exciting. One benefit of the wait is the construction should be mostly completed by the time you go.:thumbsup2

.... We are headed down in 3 weeks for MNSSHP and plan on booking July 4th week again. My :bride: :love: the fireworks.

The weather here in STL is already to cold for me... :headache: So hopefully in a couple weeks.. MCO / GF will have some super warm weather. :beach:

Not long to go.:banana: I know what you mean about the weather, I'm not a fan. We had a nice day here yesterday, it warmed up a bit and we had a nice breeze. (west central part of the state)

We are off this wknd to visit the college son in Indiana and my mom is coming down from Michigan...so it should be a good time.

Safe travels and enjoy the visit with your DS!:flower3:

18 days to go, and now I'm wondering - I've booked a Outer Building, Garden View and was going to requet Sago Cay Marina view room in online checkin. Now I'm thinking that I might want to upgrade to TPV instead, is that something easily done once I get there? For example, if I check in and the room looks as fabulous as everyone describes GF and I look out on the balcony and am content, I might just stay there. But, what if I get there and say to myself, yes we are only going to sleep here, but when I have my morning coffee I want to be looking at the Castle -- are there generally TPV rooms available for a paid upgrade or should I book one from now?

TIA,

Tom

It's not particularly hard to upgrade onsite, but as BCV23 suggested, you may want to look into upgrading now rather than later. Availability might be an issue, especially if you have a discount.

On the other hand, the marina view rooms are beautiful. We never book TPV now, as the garden view rooms have so many lovely views. With your niece along with you, it might be worth the splurge. Maybe check out availability now, and keep checking as you get closer to your travel date, to get an idea of how quickly the TPV rooms are going?

I received that email, too, Kook. Wish we would be there. We love Citricos. I saw the question about Citricos vs. Narcoossees. My DH and I prefer the food at Citricos. Although we love seafood, those dishes at Narcoossee's are a bit overwrought for my tastes. Lots of soy sauce currently which I don't enjoy. My two cents on that discussion. :goodvibes On the other hand, DD and DIL still love Narcoossees. Two good choices.

Does anyone else miss lunch at Narcoossee's? We loved spending the morning at MK and then taking the launch to lunch at Narcoossee's. :boat:

Tom, I don't know the answer to your question as we've not tried to upgrade after the fact. We love marina view from Sago Cay, Conch Key and Sugar Loaf. Maybe someone else has tried? If you really want TPV, I would book it now. That way you don't have to worry about availability nor will you waste time once you're at the resort.

We've been to WDW in every month except August. I love every month from October to very early May. I think each of those month has advantages. Summer...not my cup of tea. :upsidedow Of course, end of Nov through early January does have those wonderful decorations at the GF. Very special time indeed.

I don't think we ever made it to lunch at Narcoossee's! It would be great, I wish they still served lunch. We spend far more time at the resort now than in the parks.

Did you see the question a few pages back asking about when the Christmas decorations usually come down in January? I know you've gone several years at that time and thought you would be the best person to answer.:flower3:

PrincessP has posted a thread on the Resorts forum asking about the Christmas decorations. Thought I'd share my response here, since I searched our old FAQs for answers.:santa:

I scanned through the GF FAQ from 2011, and it seems from onsite posts the Grand Christmas decorations went up the night of November 15, guests woke up to a fully decorated tree and lobby on the morning of the 16th. One poster, whose stay was from 11-8 through 11-14 said they watched the gingerbread house being built throughout their stay.

In the 2010 FAQ, someone posted the park decorations were going up during their stay ending 11-6. Melodious posted the building of the gingerbread house on 11-11 and posted again it was finished and open for business on 11-16, vettegirl posted the tree and decorations were complete on 11-17.

We just added another day to our Gflo stay in a couple weeks. :thumbsup2

Anyway... was on talking with Angie Gflo Itinerary team....

Mizner is now closing at 11pm... They said not enough people are using it. Also that this time is being reconsidered. :confused3

Was surprised but we were able to book the dessert/firework party at MK for Saturday night...Little surprise for :bride:

Mizner is now closing at 11pm... They said not enough people are using it. Also that this time is being reconsidered. :confused3

UGH- that's not good. Thanks for letting us know. One of the selling points at GF for us has been Gasparillas being open 24 hours. That hour between 11 and 12, is often when DH goes down there. That is one of the reasons we've been staying at GF or the Poly the past few years, instead of WL, because Roarin Forks closes at 11:00. I was finally calming down about staying there with the construction, and now I'm stressed out again. Okay...think Christmas tree and Gingerbread house....think Christmas tree and Gingerbread house.

k&a&c'smom said:
PrincessP has posted a thread on the Resorts forum asking about the Christmas decorations. Thought I'd share my response here, since I searched our old FAQs for answers.:santa:

I scanned through the GF FAQ from 2011, and it seems from onsite posts the Grand Christmas decorations went up the night of November 15, guests woke up to a fully decorated tree and lobby on the morning of the 16th. One poster, whose stay was from 11-8 through 11-14 said they watched the gingerbread house being built throughout their stay.

In the 2010 FAQ, someone posted the park decorations were going up during their stay ending 11-6. Melodious posted the building of the gingerbread house on 11-11 and posted again it was finished and open for business on 11-16, vettegirl posted the tree and decorations were complete on 11-17.

We arrived on the 22nd (a Sunday) in 2009, the tree went up during the night. When we came back from AK in the early afternoon of the 23rd, we noticed wreaths and garland being put up and said to one another was that tree here yesterday??

In 2010, we arrived on the 21st and everything was up.

You were missed :hug: DD5 is PERFECTO :cutie: All her tests came back fine, and she goes for a recheck in December! I broke my ankle, but it's all healed up..mostly...I am a Klutz :rotfl2:

New plans...::yes:: but not for the GF, not in my current budget, 2 Pop trips. One in November with my daughters, and January with DS11 and the RC girls :hyper:

Hope you are well my friend :hug: :welcome: back!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cheer2::cool1::cheer2: about your DD. So glad all turned out well for her.

You have a couple of trips to look forward to. Another :cool1: dance for you.

CoachBagFanatic - good to see you!:hug: I hope everything is well with you and your family.

It seems like we just returned from our YC/GF trip, but it has been a whole month!:eek: We have no plans for our next vacation, I'm not sure when we'll make it back to WDW. DD and I agreed we need another beach vacation with the whole family, which will likely be next year. DD and DS's fiance just started new jobs, so it will take a bit to coordinate schedules. It is possible DD and I can make a quick trip to the World at some point, but not likely. I'm glad they've found work, though.:goodvibes

Very exciting about your 2013 and 2014 plans. High school graduation creeps up on you, doesn't it?!:sad:
Time flies after you return from vacation doesn't it.:sad: Glad to hear about the new jobs. Best of luck to both of them.

Ah high school graduation. It's not getting any easier for me.:sad::sad: We were just talking about which graphic design college Michael wants to attend.:faint::crazy2::sad:

Have to say hello to BCV23 :wave2:

Ok back to our regularly scheduled program. As my DS says, my plans change by the minute. :rotfl: Has any one stayed in the Sago Cay building with the monorail view? If so, how did you like it? Also, I am thinking that would be considered lagoon view right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter