A Grand Vacation: The 2012 Grand Floridian FAQ!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks so much for the update -- my niece and I are 7 weeks out and can't wait! With Sandy Cove closed for renovations, are they still selling post cards, trinkets, etc?

TIA,
Tom

There is a store on the 2nd floor of the Main Building-in the corner, away from the band stage, on the left side with your back to the band stage (and facing the monorail tracks). Not sure of the exact name of the store (M Mercantile Exchange?), and exactly what they sell, but they sell all kinds of stuff. I didn't step foot inside but my kids kept referring to it as the gift shop.

There is a store on the 2nd floor of the Main Building-in the corner, away from the band stage, on the left side with your back to the band stage (and facing the monorail tracks). Not sure of the exact name of the store (M Mercantile Exchange?), and exactly what they sell, but they sell all kinds of stuff. I didn't step foot inside but my kids kept referring to it as the gift shop.

Thanks so much!

Tom

Thanks Jungle Cruiser! Exactly what I was hoping for. I'm looking to break up the monorail rides -- if she does back to back she might get green around the gills, so if we conveniently miss the connection, all will be well. And yes, we are both walkers -- actually I run and she is an athletic 13 year old so we will probably take your advice and walk to DHS as that will also clear her head.

Tom

Have you considered walking to the TTC? If we are in a hurry to get to Epcot, that's what we do. As Jungle Cruiser said, the monorail can take half an hour or so with delays. The walk from the GF to the TTC through the Polynesian grounds is 20 minutes for me.

If you walk from the IG to DHS, be sure to take a left toward the Boardwalk. There is a shortcut by the BW pool. You can see it on this map:
http://mosa.unity.ncsu.edu/photos/misc/epcotdvc.html

We just returned from GF last night. Gasparilla's is still open, we were told it is not suppose to close until January. The courtyard pool, jacuzzi and bar are open --until mid September. Beach pool has a temporary small bar.

Wow.... Our 12yo will love that!!! We are back down in 7 weeks for a long weekend... and some MNSSHP pirate:

Can't wait to see the progress!!!

It appears we will be there the same time -- arrive on 10/21 and checkout on 10/30.

Tom

Look for us please... We are the crazy people in Sugar Loaf that love to indulge in the adult bevarages that are provided on a nightly basis.. ;)

We don't get down until Wednesday... Leave late Sunday...

Or if in doubt click on our daughter's blog, kept by me, below to give us the once over.. :rolleyes1

We will try, Amy. I'm not certain what building we are staying in yet - we are booked outer building, garden view so I know we won't be in Sugar Loaf. I will be there with my soon to be 14 year old niece, so I can't be a crazy man -- but that being said, I was pleased to see that I can order 12 packs of beer from gardengrocer.com for about the same price as 2 beers from WDW!!!!

Best regards,

Tom

Thanks so much for the update -- my niece and I are 7 weeks out and can't wait! With Sandy Cove closed for renovations, are they still selling post cards, trinkets, etc?

TIA,
Tom

Now that Gaspirilla's construction has been delayed until January, it may be that Sandy Cove is also. They are in similar areas of the Main Building, so I suspect their construction may be intertwined. I am sure we will know soon. If they are closed Mouse Mercantile on the second floor will, I would imagine, as another poster suggested carry a lot of the Sandy Cove merchandise.

BVC made a great point about the walk to the TTC. It is a pretty walk (well once you get past the construction) and the path has been opened the whole time. You walk along the Bay Lake and through the Polynesian grounds. I agree, it's about a 20 minute, easy walk.

Hey guys...

Anyone that has been to Gflo in the last few weeks... how far out is the bounce back booking? We are staying last weekend in Oct and hoping to book our July 2013 stay... Just curious.. Thought I would ask.. :surfweb:

Now that Gaspirilla's construction has been delayed until January, it may be that Sandy Cove is also. They are in similar areas of the Main Building, so I suspect their construction may be intertwined.

Sandy Cove closed for construction somewhere between August 19th and 25th. Saw it with my own eyes.

Sandy Cove closed for construction somewhere between August 19th and 25th. Saw it with my own eyes.

Wow, thanks for letting us know. I presume they are selling the Sandy Cove merchandise upstairs. I wonder if they are carrying some of the groceries in Gaspairillas or the Mercantile?

I know rumors abound.. and I'm hoping they postpone some of the work.. but disney.com is still showing Gaspies as closing this month...

We'll see soon...

I presume they are selling the Sandy Cove merchandise upstairs.

We're here now. They are indeed selling a few groceries, some adult bottled beverages, newspapers, etc., in Mickey's Mercantile upstairs.

By the way, I know this has been discussed in previous threads, but we are in by far the best room we have ever stayed at in GF - room 4021 - King Deluxe, fifth floor, views over the construction area, to the Polynesian, TTC, most of the GF grounds, and a crystal clear view of the castle. If you're staying concierge with a max of 2 guests, highly, highly recommended!

I presume they are selling the Sandy Cove merchandise upstairs.

We're here now. They are indeed selling a few groceries, some adult bottled beverages, newspapers, etc., in Mickey's Mercantile upstairs.

By the way, I know this has been discussed in previous threads, but we are in by far the best room we have ever stayed at in GF - room 4021 - King Deluxe, fifth floor, views over the construction area, to the Polynesian, TTC, most of the GF grounds, and a crystal clear view of the castle. If you're staying concierge with a max of 2 guests, highly, highly recommended!

Welcome to the DIS and the GF FAQ!!!
:welcome::welcome::welcome:

Isn't that an amazing room?! We've not stayed in it but visited k&a&c'smom and DD. We were in a queen deluxe at the time which is another amazing room.

Thanks for the update. Have you noticed progress on the water play area?

Have a Grand vacation and thanks again for the updates. :surfweb:

Hey guys...

Anyone that has been to Gflo in the last few weeks... how far out is the bounce back booking? We are staying last weekend in Oct and hoping to book our July 2013 stay... Just curious.. Thought I would ask.. :surfweb:

Just returned from GF on Wednesday the current bounce back is Free Dining for Deluxe or Deluxe Villas between 8/18-9/26/13.

Is the movie normally shown at the Couryard pool? Or was it only due to constuction at the Beach Pool?

To me, the loud noise blaring from the speakers in the middle of a nice resort just didn't fit in. I'm thinking that the beach pool (not in the middle of everything) would be a better location.

BTW, as an aside, we did not find the GF to be stuffy at all. Might appear that way from the outside (and maybe if not a guest), but we did not feel that way as resort guests. And once we knew we could get adult drinks during the day from the CL (we stayed Sugarloaf-nice and close to the pool), we knew we found our fun place.

Is the movie normally shown at the Couryard pool? Or was it only due to constuction at the Beach Pool?

To me, the loud noise blaring from the speakers in the middle of a nice resort just didn't fit in. I'm thinking that the beach pool (not in the middle of everything) would be a better location.

BTW, as an aside, we did not find the GF to be stuffy at all. Might appear that way from the outside (and maybe if not a guest), but we did not feel that way as resort guests. And once we knew we could get adult drinks during the day from the CL (we stayed Sugarloaf-nice and close to the pool), we knew we found our fun place.

The movies are relatively new but were shown near the Beach pool before the construction. Just a guess but I bet they will be moved back. I agree it the beach is a better location.

So agree that the GF isn't stuffy in the least....just lovely.

mag73, thanks for the info on the Bounce Back. Limited dates next year!

The noise from the movies did not bother us at all , but the noise I mean laud screams from some very inconsiderate obnoxious guests at the courtyard pool between the hours of 12 am and 2 am did.

Beautiful new FAQ, k&a&c'smom. Thanks for your work. :flower3:

BCV23: I go to the GF all the time to walk around, sit and relax in the lobby, purchase items at Basin, etc; I have never eaten at any of the restaurant's. Are they open to the General Public too? Or is it only for guests please? Thank you so much in advance.:banana:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter