A Grand Vacation: The 2012 Grand Floridian FAQ!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jungle Cruiser - LOL - no pressure.;) Yes, I'll take plenty of photos while there. Gasparilla's is due to close while we're at the GF, I'll get photos of that as well.

I wonder how pas130's trip is going/went? Hope she had a wonderful stay.:cloud9:

Mrsdonaldduck - Oh, no! I hope that is a typo, or misread of a memo, or something! I was sure they wouldn't close the courtyard pool until all of the beach pool construction was complete.

Tink rules - you are right, the Poly volcano pool will be very busy.:crowded:

Hmmmm....this conflicts with a previous posters information that the courtyard pool closure was pushed back to 8/28.

A 3 sometimes looks like an 8. Maybe someone wasn't wearing their glasses? The email I received said pool closure date pushed out.

And I asked about splash area. IPO said they knew nothing about it.

There are food photos in post #3, but somehow I didn't put any lounge photos. I need to get all these on the first page, I know there are some posted by minniesota in a past thread, I'll find the link.

ETA: here is the link, scroll down to post #140. (SL photos nearly to the end of the post):)

Thanks. I read some complaints about it not being big enough and/or not enough tables. I hope it will be fine when we are there.

A 3 sometimes looks like an 8. Maybe someone wasn't wearing their glasses? The email I received said pool closure date pushed out.

:laughing: So typical.

On the pool closure, I was thinking the same thing - someone could have read an 8 as a 3. Hoping, anyway.

Thanks. I read some complaints about it not being big enough and/or not enough tables. I hope it will be fine when we are there.

Some people have posted this in the past, but I usually chalk it up to an exceptionally busy week (like Easter or a convention group). We've stayed in SL several times and never had any problem getting a table. Most people come through and grab their coffee, drinks or snacks and head on out the door or to their room.

Some people have posted this in the past, but I usually chalk it up to an exceptionally busy week (like Easter or a convention group). We've stayed in SL several times and never had any problem getting a table. Most people come through and grab their coffee, drinks or snacks and head on out the door or to their room.

I agree last year we stayed in SL right before Easter and we never had a problem getting a table. Mornings seamed to to be the busiest, but still enough tables.

We are arriving on the 29th and I'm hopping for even further construction delays.:worship:

Good morning! I can chime in about SL, we rarely have a tough time finding a table. In the morning it is crowded but must people are up and want to get moving, not linger over breakfast. One time when there were a lot of convention guests staying in SL, appetizers was crowded. We simply took out glasses of wine and plate of appetizers outside the back door toward the marina and sat on a bench there. The view was lovey, and it was only 2 steps from refills ;)

k&a&c'smom, pas did not stay at the RPC. No surprise when she told DH he didn't want to switch from the Honeymoon Suite at the WL, so they spend 3 (well 2 1/2 nights, they didn't get there until 2:30 AM, flight delay) nights there. As much as I love all things GF, I would have just stayed at the WL also I think.

mag73 - I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.:goodvibes

Jungle Cruiser - thanks for the update on pas and her DH. I don't blame them, I would have stayed at the WL with only 3 nights, too. Not to mention, she gets in a last minute resort change.:laughing: Sorry to hear about the flight delay, what a pain!:headache:

I'm BACK!!!!! Did I stay at RPC, sadly no, BUT honestly, I didn't want to. We loved WL!!!!! And the combination of the construction, and DH not wanting to stay there...didn't feel the Grand vibe this trip. I could see GF from my room at WL (and 2 cranes) I think occupancy was way higher at GF than WL which made it feel more crowded I think....we did walk the resort though...TWICE :goodvibes

All the walls are still up at the Beach pool :(

Here's some GF pics....

From the Main building 2nd floor
DSCI0498.jpg

DSCI0497.jpg

From MK
DSCI0496.jpg

From my WL balcony
DSCI0494.jpg

We are arriving on the 29th and I'm hopping for even further construction delays.:worship:

We are also arriving on the 29th. I find it odd they have nothing on their website about the courtyard pool or Gasparilla closing. Is this info. they should have available by now? Seems to be very deceptive to not notify guests of major closures. Or does this mean that perhaps they have pushed the closures back further?

Welcome home Pas! Glad you had a wonderful time-- and that you loved the WL!!:thumbsup2

Thanks for the pics. It just looks so.... sad at the GF. I am completely terrified of getting there in Dec and not feeling like it's "home" anymore.:( I'm hoping that once construction is finished the Grand Vibe will return. If not, I might be "home"less for a bit.:lmao:

Thanks for the pics Pas130! :goodvibes
Glad you had a great time..

Well at least we can see the splash pad is lsowly moving along... LOL

I guess as for timetable... we all will just have to be patient... (Easier said then done) :lmao:

We are also arriving on the 29th. I find it odd they have nothing on their website about the courtyard pool or Gasparilla closing. Is this info. they should have available by now? Seems to be very deceptive to not notify guests of major closures. Or does this mean that perhaps they have pushed the closures back further?

I hope so, but I wouldn't bet on it. Even when I called the resort I got conflicting answers from the CMs. I guess advertising major closures would be bad for business. For now we can just hope for the best.

Are pool toys (water squishy balls, dive rings, etc.) allowed at the pool(s)?

Yes they are. We have purchased them right at the hotel. We bought small boats, and every year we get noodles for the kids. Years ago they sold them at the beach pool, then at Sandy Cove.

Welcome back, pas, thanks for the photos!! Glad you loved the Lodge, isn't it pretty?! If the transportation were a tad better, we'd stay more often.

:welcome: to the DIS and the FAQ.:goodvibes

Unfortunately, Disney rarely ever lets out construction schedules. I've never seen it posted anywhere on their website when there is a refurb or major construction going on at the resorts. I feel lucky they gave out the schedule we have posted on the first page, they so seldom do it. I'm sure they would have far less unhappy guests if they did post these things, not sure why they won't.

Are pool toys (water squishy balls, dive rings, etc.) allowed at the pool(s)?

As far as I know, all the toys are fine. No tubes or floats that you can't see through (possibly none at all other than for babies).

.... It just looks so.... sad at the GF. I am completely terrified of getting there in Dec and not feeling like it's "home" anymore.:( I'm hoping that once construction is finished the Grand Vibe will return. If not, I might be "home"less for a bit.:lmao:

It does look bad from above, but luckily most of the work isn't as noticeable from ground level. We were at US in May, and stopped at the Grand for some shopping and it didn't seem too different, especially indoors. Hopefully, it will be mostly back to normal by the time you go in December!:goodvibes

Well at least we can see the splash pad is lsowly moving along... LOL

I guess as for timetable... we all will just have to be patient... (Easier said then done) :lmao:

The splash pad and pool bar do seem to be progressing slowly, to me at least. Not as though either will be finished by the end of the month!:confused: It may go much faster once all the prep work is finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter