A Grand Vacation: The 2012 Grand Floridian FAQ!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone!:wave2:
Me, and my dd will be staying at the Grand in just 13 days. It just seems so surreal, that I will be staying there. This is truly a dream come true. So, I was just wondering from all you GF experts. Is there anything that is a must do at the GF. Thanks:)

You're going to love the GF :goodvibes.

:beach: woohoo! Leaving Wednesday for Florida! 9 days in Ft Lauderdale, then driving up to WDW! Can't wait to check into GF and see my daughters face. She still doesn't know I booked 2 nights GF before our 12 nights YC!

Have a great trip. What a great surprise for your DD....enjoy the GF :wizard:.

We arrive Thursday morning for two nights before we cruise and my girls (DD14 and DD9) know it's the GF but they don't know we are in Sugarloaf. They love CL but we don't do it every time so the surprise should be a fun one.

Have a great time :dance3:.

Checking in to say hi and a question for my GF peeps--

I can't for the life of me remember and there have been many discussions between my DH and I as to the answer to this-- but are there televisions at the Courtyard pool bar?

I ONLY ask bc the Gators are playing Miami one of the weekends we're there and there has been much gnashing of teeth in this house over whether or not we will have to *gasp* leave the pool area to see the game or not. :rolleyes1

The first weekend of the season is covered- DH and Son are headed to Gainesville while us girls do the Princess-y thing but that second weekend!! :eek: The Horror!!:sad2: It could be that we have to actually go to the ESPN Zone to watch it and that would just be a travesty of epic proportions, according to my 11 yr old, non football loving DD. It is her last day of being at the Grand after all. (Not that she wasn't just there less than 9 months ago, but I digress.) princess:

Anyway--- long post I know--
Hope all is well with everyone and if you've got a trip coming up, that you're all ready to head to the Grand! I know we are!!!:goodvibes

Me, and my dd will be staying at the Grand in just 13 days. It just seems so surreal, that I will be staying there. This is truly a dream come true. So, I was just wondering from all you GF experts. Is there anything that is a must do at the GF. Thanks:)

congrats on a dream come true. i hope you have a wonderful vacation. we may be there at the same time as you! also, happy birthday!

our first trip to GF we were very busy because it was my parents' first trip to WDW and we wanted to show them everything. so, we were not at the resort a lot. all of us regretted not having more time to "smell the roses" at the resort. so my recommendation to you is, really take some time there to explore and relax. you won't regret it. stroll around ALL the grounds. look in every store in the main building, there are some really unique treasures to be had. be sure to be in the lobby when the piano and orchestra play (evenings- i think the piano might start at 3 though). i love to grab a drink at the lounge and just wander around the main building in the evening and browse the shops. take time at the courtyard pool because it is just lovely. sit at the marina, maybe even take in the fireworks. take a walk to the boat dock- better yet, take the boat to the MK- it is one of my family's favorite things to do in disney. i realize none of these sound like much, but taking the time to really take in all the resort has to offer will be worthwhile.

One of my favs is the boat that runs from MK to GF to poly in a loop. Take just one section or the whole round. You get to relax and feel part of the whole thing. Afternoon in the sun is pretty and at sunset wow. Also at evening so gorgeous. If you time it right you can see water pageant from the boat( did that in may) . Also the boat will sit out there during fireworks too sometimes.

Like other posters I like tea room and taking time to just walk, shop and explore the beautiful resort.

The cleaning ladies with parasols is a nice thing to do. Did that back in 2007 and still a special memory.

Mizners lounge on 2 nd floor is a nice place for a night cap too.

Lastly the walkway to poly is relaxing if you want to check out the new VGF and head over to Poly.

Have a great trip:goodvibes

my trip is getting close now! so excited! if i close my eyes i can almost hear the orchestra in the main building and smell the delicious smell of basin:goodvibes....

I will be at CBR but I am coming over to see progress of VGF(staying there in Jan). I will definitely ride a boat!

We love the smell of the lobby too:goodvibes

Enjoy!

That's awesome! Love surprising my girls even though it is often impossible! We arrive Thursday morning for two nights before we cruise and my girls (DD14 and DD9) know it's the GF but they don't know we are in Sugarloaf. They love CL but we don't do it every time so the surprise should be a fun one.
I hope your girls enjoy their surprise!!

Me too!!! :goodvibes

:wave2:Hey MickeyNut :dance3: Cant wait!!!

Thanks MommyGina! :flower3: I completely understand...lol.. I always feel that way after a Disney trip too ..:blush: .and cant wait to book the next trip...I think that might be in the top ten things on the list of signs that you are addicited to Disney! lol..

:goodvibes Congratualtions..you will love staying at the GF..princess:... For some special mother daughter time I would highly recommend the afternoon tea...

What a nice surprise! Enjoy! :thumbsup2

jd99 What a nice pre cruise surprise! Have fun!

You're going to love the GF :goodvibes.

Have a great trip. What a great surprise for your DD....enjoy the GF :wizard:.

Have a great time :dance3:.

Thanks everyone for your good wishes! We decided to leave a day early for Seattle, and stay overnight, to do some exploring with my daughter who wants to go see Pike Place & Space Needle. And a couple of friends are joining us in Seattle! Flight Wednesday evening! :cheer2:

I know the fridge situation has been talked about ad nauseum but still gotta ask...

We check-in in 13 days...any one there now who can report back if they have a working fridge that you did not put a request in for? Just trying to plan out if I order a 24 pack as planned. I didn't put a request in since medically we don't need it and didn't want to take one from some one who does...

Thanks!

I know the fridge situation has been talked about ad nauseum but still gotta ask...

We check-in in 13 days...any one there now who can report back if they have a working fridge that you did not put a request in for? Just trying to plan out if I order a 24 pack as planned. I didn't put a request in since medically we don't need it and didn't want to take one from some one who does...

Thanks!

I will be there in two days and will post if there is one in our room.

I was there 2 weeks ago and did not have a working refrigerator. There was a sign on the refrigerator door about it not working. I requested for one to be in our room upon arrival. I was asked if it was for a medical need. I said no, it was not. There was not one in our room. We did buy a case of water and had room temperature water for the week.

Thanks everyone for your good wishes! We decided to leave a day early for Seattle, and stay overnight, to do some exploring with my daughter who wants to go see Pike Place & Space Needle. And a couple of friends are joining us in Seattle! Flight Wednesday evening! :cheer2:

How exciting to start your trip a day early :cool1:. Enjoy Seattle.

I will be there in two days and will post if there is one in our room.

Have a great trip :wizard:.

Another vote here for the walk to/from the Poly...we always plan a morning walk there when we have breakfast at the Kona Cafe. We also try to fit in a dusk stroll if we have dinner booked at the Kona. It was a lovely walk before all the construction walls were up - it's still enjoyable, but I'm not sure how much of the wall has come down.

Enjoy your stay at the GF...you will fall in love with it!

:sunny:

From a report on Facebook...

Just wanted everyone to know that was worried about refrigerators that I got a report from Disney that they completed refrigerator replacement at the Polynesian, Boardwalk, Wilderness Lodge, Beach Club and Animal Kingdom Lodge.

You know... it might have to do with the type of cabinets they go in and what is available to replace... Hopefully the Grand will be done soon....

Was there 2 weeks ago. We had no refrigerator when we checked in for the first 2 days then while we were out a new refrigerator was delivered and placed in our room for the remainder of the trip.

Hello, GF lovers!:wave: Hope everyone is having a great week so far. I know I've missed a lot of you heading to WDW - hope your stays were magical.

Tink rules and donald duck rocks, thanks for the update on the fridge situation. I hope they replace them quickly, I hate the lack of refrigerator in a resort room.

Sue M - congrats on your extra day, enjoy your time in Seattle. Safe travels (or are you already traveling? I get confused with the time difference!)

JoBird - Hey, you!:wave2: Good to see you. I can't remember if there are TVs at the courtyard pool, but I think I have photos that should show them. BRB!

I didn't have any close up shots of the courtyard pool bar in my Photobucket account, of course!:headache: So I figured it would be quicker if I googled for images and found some prior to the refurb - there were small TV screens behind the bar area. I'll see if I can copy the images below, if not I'll post a link.

6117383-15465906-thumbnail.jpg

6117383-15465913-thumbnail.jpg

I assume they would have kept the TVs, they did little to the bar in the refurb if I recall.

Anyone know if there are any plans to replace the bedspreads with duvets in the next 6-8 months (contemplating switching my 2014 Poly reservation to GF due to the potential construction and DW prefers duvets and will expect them at GF)?

Thanks

Just an update for the Poly DVC... they are taking 2 buildings out for DVC convert and asking people if they have booked Sept to move over to the Grand...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter