A Grand Vacation: The 2012 Grand Floridian FAQ!

Status
Not open for further replies.
view in march 2010:

IMG_3901.jpg

IMG_3900.jpg

view april 2012:

f05b8e3e.jpg

c1c9fa79.jpg

306aeda1.jpg

b4277791.jpg

Me again. :) I'm wondering if anyone would like to take a guess if one or both pools will be open for swimming around the second week of August. I noticed the construction walls around the beach pool in some of the photos, but didn't know if that meant that the beach pool would be closed for swimming. We would be happy with just one pool open, if that's the case, but I think my grandson would be very happy if the themed pool (the one with the slide) was open when we're there. Of course he will be thrilled with either pool, but just wondering. This will be our first stay at GF and we're beyond excited!
:cloud9: TIA!

Hi Everyone,

We've booked our dream trip to the GF November 1st to 15th, 2012 in Club Level with Free Dining that I've upgraded to DxDP. This is also the first trip for our latest DS who is arriving mid-August! My DW, DS10 and DS6 can't wait to share our little obsession with Disney with the new arrival.

This also marks the first time that we'll be at the same hotel for the duration of our trip, we normally like to move around and try out the various hotels. Obviously it's not ideal to be packing everything a baby needs and moving around!

My question today is if anyone can tell me about both the cribs that you can get and the pack n' play playpen that they offer. What are they like? Any pictures?

We're undecided about driving or flying, so knowing what our options are for sleeping might help decide. Anyone that's been to the GF with a baby and has some thoughts or tips, it would be appreciated!

Andrew

Me again. :) I'm wondering if anyone would like to take a guess if one or both pools will be open for swimming around the second week of August. I noticed the construction walls around the beach pool in some of the photos, but didn't know if that meant that the beach pool would be closed for swimming. We would be happy with just one pool open, if that's the case, but I think my grandson would be very happy if the themed pool (the one with the slide) was open when we're there. Of course he will be thrilled with either pool, but just wondering. This will be our first stay at GF and we're beyond excited!
:cloud9: TIA!

The Beach Pool has been enclosed by walls, but has remained open throughout the construction.

54ad7891.jpg

Hope this helps.

Bethclayton, those pictures kind of make me sad. I know it will be beautiful again, but it is going to be awhile :sad1:

K &a&c'smom, sorry to heat about your mother. :hug:

Beckysko, thank you for the trip report. Sounds like you had a wonderful time at the GF! :cloud9:

bethclayton - thanks for the info on the view over the themed pool! I couldn't remember for sure if you felt it was worth being on that side, or if you had preferred to be relocated but chose to stick it out anyway. The photos are so helpful.:thumbsup2

Jungle Cruiser - Thanks about my mom.:hug: How are you feeling? Good I hope!

tinkerbellmagic - From the info baler31 gleaned last week, it sounds like they will leave the courtyard pool open until the work on the beach pool is finished.:flower3:

aprestwich - welcome!!:cheer2: Your dream trip sounds like a dream to me, too.:cloud9: Congrats on the upcoming addition to your family.

I don't have any info on the cribs or pack-n-plays, I'm sorry to say. Others have posted about them, if I get a chance I'll look up the previous posts if someone doesn't pop in with info soon.:thumbsup2 I think beckysko may have requested a crib last week, if she sees this!:idea:

aprestwich - I googled "Grand Floridian Crib photos" and came up with this link - hope it helps!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-fQsckyso7N4/TsmZSLjPzjI/AAAAAAAABrQ/DpWYdTn9oSI/s320/Disney+611.2+337.JPG

Thanks so much and thanks for the welcome! We've just finished sitting down and planning out our dining and park plans. Amazing that we have a full 2 weeks and still couldn't fit everything in! LOL

Sent the email off to the IPO, so hopefully we'll hear back that everything fell into place for us.

Does anyone know the current state of the Cabana rentals? I know there is construction all around the one pool area, we'd like to rent the Cabana's for the two full off days so that we'll have a nice shady area for the baby to sleep or at least be out of the sun. Just curious if they are still doing them with the construction.

Andrew

aprestwich - Someone just reported renting a cabana, can't remember for sure who it was? Maybe baler31, she has been within the past few weeks. I know they are currently renting them out, CoachBagFanatic nearly booked one for her trip in progress. There's been some discussion of whether it is worth it due to the restricted view, etc.

LOL about not fitting everything in with two weeks to do it - we always have the same problem, no matter how many days in the World.:laughing: I guess it's a testament to the variety and number of activities.

bethclayton, thank you so much for posting the photos. I think we'll rethink our favourite room! It does seem a little churlish to complain when we are so fortunate to spend so much time at WDW and the GF. But, we have a construction site next door (fascinating, noisy, unsightly) and the people above us are currently gutting and renovating their apartment (just noisy...excessively noisy!). So, we had hoped to spend our vacation time away from building sites. Oh, well. Can't be helped.

k&a&c'smom, yes I do like to make the reservations myself. While the club service is wonderful, my DM has an ever-changing and ever-increasing number of food allergies, mostly due to her stunning array of medications. So, I like to know that each restaurant understands from the get go that we are trouble with a Capital 'T'! ;)

Ugh... Those construction pictures make me so sad... We are getting married in the wedding pavilion with a reception at GF's white hall room in December... Hoping the construction won't be too noisy (ceremony is 10 am on Saturday) or ugly then :(

Does anyone know what it's supposed to look like by December? We are also honeymooning at the GF.

bethclayton, thank you so much for posting the photos. I think we'll rethink our favourite room! It does seem a little churlish to complain when we are so fortunate to spend so much time at WDW and the GF. But, we have a construction site next door (fascinating, noisy, unsightly) and the people above us are currently gutting and renovating their apartment (just noisy...excessively noisy!). So, we had hoped to spend our vacation time away from building sites. Oh, well. Can't be helped.

i am glad i could help! :thumbsup2

Hi, everyone. This is a great thread for GF fiends. We are going to WDW with my parents in September and staying in three RPC TPV rooms. My parents are older and have mobility issues. My thought was that staying RPC would make getting breakfast that much easier for them and the monorail will make getting to MK and Epcot more convenient. (They will have scooters.) Also, Dad likes his music, so I thought being at the RPC would give him the opportunity to listen to the orchestra and pianist most readily. We have ADRs at California Grill, Narcoosee's and Jiko. Most likely, my parents will not go to the parks every day, but will use the courtyard pool although they might prefer the feature pool because of the zero entry aspect in which case I suppose they would encounter some construction barriers. Is the construction visible if you have a TPV room?

Overall, do you think the construction will affect our visit very much? I have to say that in all my trips to the GF, something has always been under construction whether buildings were being renovated or the tile in the lobby was being replaced, so it won't bother me. It is my parents' first trip to WDW in about 15 years and their first trip to the GF ever, so I want them to have a really magical time. Many thanks for your help and for this awesome thread.

followthatmouse - sorry to hear about your mother's meds and food issues, but you seem to be dealing with it all with grace and humor.:hug: I don't blame you for wanting a noise-free vacation - I do, and I don't even have all the noise you face each day!!

toodycat - Good news - in a TPV RPC room, you will be as far away as you can possibly get from the current mess and noise!!:thumbsup2 Unless the renovations to Gasparilla's begin before your September dates, you will likely have few issues with noise in your rooms.

I know exactly what you mean regarding the renovations while at the GF - we've been there during outside maintenance, room renovations and marble installation. For the most part, it didn't affect our stay very much. I will say, we visited during our May vacation at Universal, and this construction is on a larger scale - but still manageable.:flower3:

2012DisneyWorldBride - Best wishes for your upcoming wedding!:lovestruc I don't know if anyone has heard a timetable, but baler31 recently spoke with CMs and management and heard there will be renovations to Gasparilla's, Sandy Cove and the courtyard pool in the next year. Not sure how much of it will be going on in December, unfortunately. If any of it starts before then, hopefully it will be completed, or nearly so.:hug:

Ugh... Those construction pictures make me so sad... We are getting married in the wedding pavilion with a reception at GF's white hall room in December... Hoping the construction won't be too noisy (ceremony is 10 am on Saturday) or ugly then :(

Does anyone know what it's supposed to look like by December? We are also honeymooning at the GF.

i wish could help but i can only take a guess. i would imagine they would have a lot done by december as they seemed to move rapidly during my stay. i would hope this means that by december they would be doing more interior and less exterior, but that is just a complete guess.

Hi, everyone. This is a great thread for GF fiends. We are going to WDW with my parents in September and staying in three RPC TPV rooms. My parents are older and have mobility issues. My thought was that staying RPC would make getting breakfast that much easier for them and the monorail will make getting to MK and Epcot more convenient. (They will have scooters.) Also, Dad likes his music, so I thought being at the RPC would give him the opportunity to listen to the orchestra and pianist most readily. We have ADRs at California Grill, Narcoosee's and Jiko. Most likely, my parents will not go to the parks every day, but will use the courtyard pool although they might prefer the feature pool because of the zero entry aspect in which case I suppose they would encounter some construction barriers. Is the construction visible if you have a TPV room?

Overall, do you think the construction will affect our visit very much? I have to say that in all my trips to the GF, something has always been under construction whether buildings were being renovated or the tile in the lobby was being replaced, so it won't bother me. It is my parents' first trip to WDW in about 15 years and their first trip to the GF ever, so I want them to have a really magical time. Many thanks for your help and for this awesome thread.

i agree with k&a&c's mom, an RPC TPV room would be a great scenario bc it is far from the construction. you would not even know the construction is there from that side of the building, or from the lounge. imo, though, the feature pool was the worst part of the whole property bc in addition to the ugly barriers, it was unbearably loud (jackhammering) during our stay. perhaps that phase of the contraction will be over by september, but if not, i think they will be much happier at the courtyard pool.

i also wanted to agree with your thoughts on RPC with a scooter- it made breakfast so much easier for my mom, who is in a scooter. she also found the monorail to be by far her favorite mode of transportation for the ease of using it with the scooter. you made a great choice!

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!!!

I hope you all have a wonderful day with your family and friends.:goodvibes

Hi Everyone,

My question today is if anyone can tell me about both the cribs that you can get and the pack n' play playpen that they offer. What are they like? Any pictures?

We're undecided about driving or flying, so knowing what our options are for sleeping might help decide. Anyone that's been to the GF with a baby and has some thoughts or tips, it would be appreciated!

Andrew

Hi! We went to GF with our 8-month-old. We opted for the pack n' play, rather than the crib (although they have both). I have a picture but I don't know how to add it? Can someone help?

As for tips, I'm not sure how old your baby is, so I don't know what kind of tips to offer? The bathtub is really difficult to bathe the baby in - I brought a small inflatable tub to put in the bath and I had to sit on the side of the tub (it is a really wide tub surround) in order to bathe the baby. We also had a separate room that we could put the baby in to sleep so as not to disturb him at night. If your baby is crawling, you might pack some outlet plugs so s/he won't get into the outlets. We packed several small toys so he could have some crawl time in the room. Generally we would get up, have breakfast in the club lounge and feed the baby there (in his stroller), then head out to the parks. He would nap in the stroller for a bit in the morning. Around 2 or 3 we would head back to the room, put him down for a nap. After nap, a little crawling/playtime before heading out for dinner/evening. We bought diapers, formula and food when we got there (took a cab to Publix -$10 cab ride). We bought those pouch-style baby food to make feeding neat and easy. Also disposible/adhesive placemats were awesome as he would always chew/lick on the edge of the table at every restaurant (gross). I'd be happy to answer any more questions you have!

Hi everyone :wave2: I didn't post while we were away as I received some very heartbreaking news about a friend of ours last Wednesday. The doctors thought he had Pneumonia and it turned out to be IV stage lung cancer and his prognosis is not good. He is moving back to Oregon on the advise from his doctor to be with his family as we speaking so they can help him. I have finally come to a peaceful place with his unfortunate circumstances as I spoke with him. Hearing him at peace with this made it easier for me. I am sorry this first part is not a very nice post.

We arrived home last night at midnight and just wanted to stop by to see what's going on. We had a good time under the circumstances. I think I did a really good job as to not bring our vacation down for our DS16.

I will be posting some pictures of the construction once I transfer them from my iPhone. I also have some on my lap top as we speak and I will post them as well.

I am sorry to say this but the construction is still going on strong around the pool bar. That looks to me like it's going to be the kiddie splash area but I could be wrong. Once I post the pictures you can judge for yourself. The ugly green fence doesn't look like it's going to come down any time soon.

k&a&c'smom oh you were so right about not renting the cabana. We would have been really upset if we did. I walked over and stood in front of cabana #3 and for those of us who have been to the GF pre-construction, it would not have been the same. The pool seems so closed in now.:sad2: There's no construction on the weekends but when we went there yesterday, it was loud over by the feature pool. Once you left that area, it was hardly noticeable. Well outside of the gigantic crane.;)

pas130 I hope all is ok with your DD.:hug: I quickly looked for a post but I didn't see once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter