A Grand Vacation: The 2012 Grand Floridian FAQ!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you everyone for your kind words. My vacation actually got much better. I sent WDW a complaint about my problems and had a couple of superstar managers that really made me feel much better. They offered several things to me, that I turned down, but their concern made me feel much better. Below is the note I sent to WDW about the contact....

To whom it may concern,

I just wanted to thank you so much for your attention in the manner of my complaint of The Grand Floridian. I was contacted by two managers this past Monday.

I did not catch the female manager's name, but I believe the male manager was named T.J.. They were both wonderful! They were very considerate in listening to me and did their absolute best to resolve my concerns. They offered to move our room, provide transportation and even gave us access to the concierge level. We were so busy we did not use the lounge but it was nice that it was offered. While I'm sure some of my complaints seemed petty, both managers made me feel as though my complaints were important and well founded. They made me feel that they were genuinely concerned about making things right. This is what creates guests that are devoted to Disney resorts!

I must admit at the beginning of our vacation I was disillusioned in the Walt Disney Company and the customer service that has brought me back year after year. Thankfully though, T.J. and the other manager, restored my belief in the Disney Company's service that brings me back year after year.

Thank you SO much for caring about my family's experience to Walt Disney World. We returned home today and started talking about our next visit!

While I will probably go back to the Contemporary next visit, you can't beat the conscience of everything being in one building, I no longer hate the Grand and would consider staying again if I couldn't get into the Contemporary.

I am so happy that things turned around for you and the Grand redeamed herself! :flower3:

But, I do wish you would've experienced the CL service. That was a very nice gesture and you and your family would've really enjoyed it. :thumbsup2

Well, during our recent visit to the Polynesian, we popped into GF just to check up on my favorite WDW resort and it's looking awesome! Seems like the only construction left is the GF Villas which look like they'll be completed in October. Hoping to stay here next June!

Thanks!:thumbsup2 I was going to call the resort today if no one posted.

I doubt the walls are down, as the beach is still the staging area for the DVC construction. I think they mean it is re-opened from the short maintenance break of May 30-June 1.

I wonder if the waterfall is operational? I thought it was possible this maintenance was to fix the waterfall, but that's just speculation.

the recent pool maintenance was, I believe, to re-do the pool deck and do some work on the slide. The waterfall hasn't been operational for a few months (though I'm not sure why).

I have never found the Wishes soundtrack on the in-room TV at the GF, the only resort I've read about this was CR, I think. With the advent of regular commercial TV at WDW, I have understood there are no more "resort TV" channels.:confused:

If anyone else has better info on this, please post.

Well shoot.:scratchin Ya know, I think the only time we ever did the tv thing was indeed at the Contemporary. I just assumed all of the other MK theme park view resorts did it too.

We're staying 1 night for the 4th as well. Unless something is different this year, Wishes is replaced by a patriotic fireworks show on the 3rd and 4th.

Yeah, I was hoping that they were still doing "Fantasy in the Sky", because it's my all time fav.:goodvibes

From what I read they're only doing that on New Year's Eve now.

I saw a bit of the new Patriotic Show on You Tube yesterday, and it looks pretty good tho!

Either way, I'm just excited to be there for the 4th!:cheer2:

I am so happy that things turned around for you and the Grand redeamed herself! :flower3:

But, I do wish you would've experienced the CL service. That was a very nice gesture and you and your family would've really enjoyed it. :thumbsup2

We've done club level before at the Contemporary before and LOVED it. This time though we were on our last day, tired and by the time we got back from the parks the walk back to the main building to the concierge floor just seemed too painful! LOL

You all were so helpful in the planning of my trip last October. I came on to see how you all felt about the VGF and I didn't see much. I was curious if you all were hoping to try it out or going to avoid it? I think the pictures look amazing and have a condo at the Grand will be awesome. Did I miss all of the chatting about it, or is everyone sticking to the original?

We're staying 1 night for the 4th as well. Unless something is different this year, Wishes is replaced by a patriotic fireworks show on the 3rd and 4th.

I think they might be running it longer this year as part of the Limited Time Magic promotion. I found this:

Independence Week - July 1-7, 2013
Magic Kingdom
Celebrate the 4th of July all week with a Fireworks Party! You'll be seeing red, white and blue all over the park, from Cinderella Castle to special-edition merchandise including U.S.A. shirts, ear hats and much more.

I'm really hoping they have the special fireworks that whole week (I fly in on the 7th), I think the patriotic fireworks are my favorite!

Rhongepooh - thanks for posting, so glad you had a better end to your trip.:goodvibes Happy to hear they did their best to make it up to you, and you at least will consider the Grand for a future trip.

Glad you had a great resolution! I have a gf who completed an internship at Disney and talked about how the resort managers like to "steal" (aka wooooo) long-time guests of other resorts. She likened it to pledging a legacy of another sorority for bragging rights.

LOL - from comments I've heard, I think all the WDW resorts do get a kick out of converting guests. The US/IOA resorts are the same, all in good fun, of course.

:wave2: I see you are heading to YC CL soon! I'm so envious, we loved our visit there last year!

Well, during our recent visit to the Polynesian, we popped into GF just to check up on my favorite WDW resort and it's looking awesome! Seems like the only construction left is the GF Villas which look like they'll be completed in October. Hoping to stay here next June!

:thumbsup2

the recent pool maintenance was, I believe, to re-do the pool deck and do some work on the slide. The waterfall hasn't been operational for a few months (though I'm not sure why).

Thanks for that, did they refurb the area of the former pop jets play area? I haven't even thought of that.

Well shoot.:scratchin Ya know, I think the only time we ever did the tv thing was indeed at the Contemporary. I just assumed all of the other MK theme park view resorts did it too.

It's possible they do something special for the 4th fireworks show, but I have never been there during that time. Please post and let us know if you find they DO have it on the in room TV.:flower3:

You all were so helpful in the planning of my trip last October. I came on to see how you all felt about the VGF and I didn't see much. I was curious if you all were hoping to try it out or going to avoid it? I think the pictures look amazing and have a condo at the Grand will be awesome. Did I miss all of the chatting about it, or is everyone sticking to the original?

There was quite a lot of talk when the plans were filed, and again when it was announced. I think it is mixed - many GF lovers are also DVC and have longed for VGF. Others are not DVC, have no intention of buying in and would just as soon not have it.;) Either way, I know everyone will adjust as time goes by, they have done a good job of smoothing the transition, I think.

We're all waiting for the first guests to post reviews later this year!:thumbsup2

I think they might be running it longer this year as part of the Limited Time Magic promotion. I found this:

Independence Week - July 1-7, 2013
Magic Kingdom
Celebrate the 4th of July all week with a Fireworks Party! You'll be seeing red, white and blue all over the park, from Cinderella Castle to special-edition merchandise including U.S.A. shirts, ear hats and much more.

I'm really hoping they have the special fireworks that whole week (I fly in on the 7th), I think the patriotic fireworks are my favorite!

Thanks for the info, I'm sure it will be helpful for many who plan to visit that week.:goodvibes I'd love to see the special fireworks, but I doubt we ever go during the week of the 4th. We live in a state that allows personal fireworks, we always have a big family get together. Not to mention the huge crowds deter us from holiday weeks.:crowded:

My sister and I have booked an 8 day stay at the Grand Floridian this August. This will be our first deluxe stay, and a total surprise to my two daughters. In fact, they don't know we're going to Disney, nevermind staying here! I'm so excited, they're going to be so thrilled! I wanted to thank you for this great thread and all its information!

There was quite a lot of talk when the plans were filed, and again when it was announced. I think it is mixed - many GF lovers are also DVC and have longed for VGF. Others are not DVC, have no intention of buying in and would just as soon not have it.;) Either way, I know everyone will adjust as time goes by, they have done a good job of smoothing the transition, I think.

We're all waiting for the first guests to post reviews later this year!:thumbsup2

Thanks for the wrap up. This was the first dvc that made me stop in my tracks and think about it. I really love being at the Grand. I convinced dh to do it and I look forward to many years of staying there!! Maybe I am crazy but I didn't think it was THAT expensive. I was expecting way way way worse. So maybe it is all relative :)

My sister and I have booked an 8 day stay at the Grand Floridian this August. This will be our first deluxe stay, and a total surprise to my two daughters. In fact, they don't know we're going to Disney, nevermind staying here! I'm so excited, they're going to be so thrilled! I wanted to thank you for this great thread and all its information!

What a great surprise for your daughters :goodvibes. The GF is an amazing resort and I'm sure everyone will love it!!! Have a great trip :wizard:.

Yeah, I was hoping that they were still doing "Fantasy in the Sky", because it's my all time fav.:goodvibes

From what I read they're only doing that on New Year's Eve now.

I saw a bit of the new Patriotic Show on You Tube yesterday, and it looks pretty good tho!

Either way, I'm just excited to be there for the 4th!:cheer2:

The Patriotic Show is amazing! We went over the 4th for the 1st time 3 years ago and plan to come back every year. I've never seen "Fantasy in the Sky" but it's on my must-do list.

::crossing fingers::: It's definitely my favorite! The best thing is that it's also DH's fav so he's willing to splurge for a TPV room.

Hi! DH & I spent 2 nights in a king deluxe RPC room in Sept 2011. I was in heaven & dreamed of going back. We didn't think we could make our annual Sept trip this year due to DH's work projects. So we went to YC in May instead. I booked a bounceback for the same RPC king deluxe room Sept 18-21, just in case. DH just found out yesterday he can take that vacation!!! :dance3:

We will be celebrating our 35th anniversary with a YC/ GF split stay. I am so thankful for my wonderful hubby & our life together. We are very blessed. :goodvibes

We just decided to stay at GF Sugarloaf in 2 weeks! I have only stayed CL at Disneyland so I am very excited! I have already emailed the IPO because I have Celiac's and they made it seem like the chef would accommodate. That was a big deal because I didn't want to book CL if I couldn't eat the food! What do I have to look forward to? We stayed at GF GV in 2011 and I just love this resort... .I am sooo excited!

Hi! DH & I spent 2 nights in a king deluxe RPC room in Sept 2011. I was in heaven & dreamed of going back. We didn't think we could make our annual Sept trip this year due to DH's work projects. So we went to YC in May instead. I booked a bounceback for the same RPC king deluxe room Sept 18-21, just in case. DH just found out yesterday he can take that vacation!!! :dance3:

We will be celebrating our 35th anniversary with a YC/ GF split stay. I am so thankful for my wonderful hubby & our life together. We are very blessed. :goodvibes

Ooooh. You should request one of the turret rooms princess: They're amazing.
Scroll about halfway down this page and you'll see one http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2932607 (they are King Deluxe - but extra special ;) )

Oh! You chose very well for your first deluxe trip! very well!:goodvibes
Your DDs will love the GF as well as you and your DSis!!!! Oh, have fun! :beach:

Thanks for the wrap up. This was the first dvc that made me stop in my tracks and think about it. I really love being at the Grand. I convinced dh to do it and I look forward to many years of staying there!! Maybe I am crazy but I didn't think it was THAT expensive. I was expecting way way way worse. So maybe it is all relative :)

Lol! I so agree with you! It's relative all right! Depends on who your relatives are! har har! :rotfl:
Anyways, I've never been much a DVC lover, but those inside GF DVC pics are really calling my name, and after showing DH, and after him seeing the contruction in April, he is very interested in buying into it. So,I gues s we'll see what happens in October. [crossing fingers] Good luck to you, too! pixiedust:

The Patriotic Show is amazing! We went over the 4th for the 1st time 3 years ago and plan to come back every year. I've never seen "Fantasy in the Sky" but it's on my must-do list.

::crossing fingers::: It's definitely my favorite! The best thing is that it's also DH's fav so he's willing to splurge for a TPV room.

Wow! Now that's something we've never done! A 4th on the monorail, much less at WDW! a must-do like you said, and a TPV room! I keep reading how amazing it is!

Happy upcoming anniversary!!!! Wow! 35th!!!! That deserves a suite upgrade, I sure do hope you get one! pixiedust: And yes, you two have been blessed! So happy to read about your upcoming trip!

We just decided to stay at GF Sugarloaf in 2 weeks! I have only stayed CL at Disneyland so I am very excited! I have already emailed the IPO because I have Celiac's and they made it seem like the chef would accommodate. That was a big deal because I didn't want to book CL if I couldn't eat the food! What do I have to look forward to? We stayed at GF GV in 2011 and I just love this resort... .I am sooo excited!

Excited for you and they are so wondering about accommodating all food allergies! You'll be suprised what the chefs will come up for you! I've been lactose intolerant for many yrs and I was amazed at how many dishes and even desserts they made! Now, not only do they have to accomodate that but also sugar free. So, you just make your needs know and let IPO know again a week before arrival. And then let the CL CMs know AGAIN, upon arrival. Just to make sure.

(I had to do this with YC CL and the Poly CL very recently)not the RPC. But we need to be very sure for our needs.

Everyone else, so happy to see you! :wave2:

Ooooh. You should request one of the turret rooms princess: They're amazing.
Scroll about halfway down this page and you'll see one http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2932607 (they are King Deluxe - but extra special ;) )

Thanks! Last time I requested the other deluxe king--with the whirlpool tub. They gave us the 1 right in the middle- the MK view was amazing! I usually love a balcony but I didn't really use it that trip coz the lovebugs were bad that week. The Turret rooms don't have balconies do they? But they do look fabulous. Such a nice decision to have to make! :goodvibes

Happy upcoming anniversary!!!! Wow! 35th!!!! That deserves a suite upgrade, I sure do hope you get one! pixiedust: And yes, you two have been blessed! So happy to read about your upcoming trip!

Thanks! And thanks to Disney for offering that 35% bounceback! :lmao:

Lol! I so agree with you! It's relative all right! Depends on who your relatives are! har har! :rotfl:
Anyways, I've never been much a DVC lover, but those inside GF DVC pics are really calling my name, and after showing DH, and after him seeing the contruction in April, he is very interested in buying into it. So,I gues s we'll see what happens in October. [crossing fingers] Good luck to you, too! pixiedust:

I don't know what got into me...I just started looking at it, crunching numbers, and the next thing I knew I had a contract...It was pretty easy to convince DH, but then again it always is. We aren't going back until Easter 2015 but then we will go 3 times in one year...YAY! Good luck to you too!

Thanks! Last time I requested the other deluxe king--with the whirlpool tub. They gave us the 1 right in the middle- the MK view was amazing! I usually love a balcony but I didn't really use it that trip coz the lovebugs were bad that week. The Turret rooms don't have balconies do they? But they do look fabulous. Such a nice decision to have to make! :goodvibes

Yes - you're right about there being no balconies on the turret rooms.
I've stayed in both but preferred the turret over the rooms over Gasparilla's. Turret rooms are so unique. The views on that "honeymoon" hall are good but I don't love that area. I prefer being right on the lobby.

Just thought I'd mention it. As far as I know they are only a request anyway but if it's your anniversary... :lovestruc You're right - nice decision to have to make :)
k&a&c'smom can tell you all about them - she stays in one practically every trip :rotfl:

Hi Lulu'sMom :wave2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter