A Grand Vacation: The 2012 Grand Floridian FAQ!

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading about the courtyard pool and the beach access, I contacted the IPO at the GF. Their response was that the CY pool will be done by February. We'll see. Also, at this point, they don't know if there is going to be any beach access! I find that hard to believe, but you never know. Wanted to keep everyone in the loop.

I talked to our travel agent and she said that over new years there was sand and beach. :confused3 Who knowssss. I am sure it will be grand though :)

We were there in September and the CY pool was closed, Gasparilla's was replaced by a QS by the beach pool and the beach was closed. We had a TPV RPC room and the view was still lovely. We were with four others who had never been to the GF before and they still loved it. The lobby was still gorgeous, the restaurants were excellent, the service was great, the transportation options are superior and you can still watch the fireworks from the dock. The GF is still lovely and special. I wouldn't discourage anyone from staying there.

Thank you so much for the input.:goodvibes

I think we will keep our reservation at the GF- it has always been our dream to stay there and this may be our only chance (with the Labor Day discount from Magical Vacations- we could never afford rack rate). So we will not be discouraged by the construction and hope that the GF is as beautiful and magical as it always has been to us!

This thread is so helpful for updates, advice and information, thank you to everyone who posts- it is a great resource!

autumnpalm, we are going at around the same time you're going. I was a little worried but I'm hoping that the only construction remaining will be the DVC, which won't affect us as much. We like to stay as close to MK as possible, so I was really looking forward to giving GF a try!

Does anyone know if the GF has single serve coffee pots and if so what kind of coffee pods do they have? Can we bring our own single serve pods? Thanks all!!

We are booked again for the 4th of July. Wouldn't be the 4th without Gflo.

We will be back down in 3 weeks after the DCL if anyone needs anything specific that I can help them with. Construction or no construction, you can not beat Gflo.

Just got back from a wonderful weekend at Disney! We stayed Friday at GF and Sat/Sun at POFQ.

There is not one thing bad I could say about GF. Upon arriving our bags were taken and the car went in Valet. We checked in with Nathan who ended up was the CM that did my park orientation at DHS back in May so that was ironic!

We were given room 9510 in Big Pine which was not either of the buildings we requested during online check-in but it could not have been a better room. Although we looked at pool construction below, we didn't even think about that when we were watching/hearing Wishes from the balcony!!

We loved that the QS was open 24/7 and all the CMs inside were above and beyond nice as were the ones in the two gift shops we bought things from.

The bath products were the best I've ever had and I was glad to see they were replenished during turn-down service which I was not expecting and enjoyed! We met our Housekeeper the next day on our way out and she seemed very nice and sweet!

We had dinner at Narcoossee which was yummy and worth every penny! We asked for a window table and the manager said they were taken but ended up finding us one in a corner that looked towards the castle which was nice and we weren't there for fireworks anyways.

My DBF had a mini castle cake delivered to the room and it was delicious and worth every penny too!

We didn't use the buses, monorail, or boats but I'm assuming they are good?

All in all, we would stay at GF again without a doubt especially when I can get a good CM discount of 60% off!!

Just a small update on what we experienced at GF today. Lots of construction !! They are repairing the steel beams outside the main entrance/valet which = jackhammer :headache::headache: Also, the pool construction was very loud with more jackhammers and saws than I have ever heard there.

While the parks have been extremely busy for this time of the year the resort was very quiet. Was told many rooms taken out of inventory due to construction noise.

Hi, does anyone who has been to the GF since Gasperillas opened back up know if they are still serving the kids Mac and cheese? I noticed it was not on the new menu on allears :(. Thanks so much for your help!

Glad to hear that they are working hard on the courtyard pool! I am crossing my fingers that the project manager has his/her timeline straight for an end of Feb opening.

This isn't groundbreaking news but it looks like the language on the official WDW site has changed SLIGHTLY

"Courtyard Pool
The Courtyard Pool, Courtyard Pool Bar, and Hot Tub will be closed through the end of March 2013."

Wow, talk about way off their original time frame. Disney dropped the ball on this one. It doesn't take a genius to install a pool and refurb a bar/kitchen.

This isn't groundbreaking news but it looks like the language on the official WDW site has changed SLIGHTLY

"Courtyard Pool
The Courtyard Pool, Courtyard Pool Bar, and Hot Tub will be closed through the end of March 2013."

Where are you seeing this? I went on the Disney website and it has til Feb still......I am so confused:confused3

"Courtyard Pool

That doesn't surprise me, when we stayed last Friday its not even close and fri and sat they weren't working at all.

Any pictures? I haven't seen any of the courtyard pool area in a while.

From our room on Friday at Big Pine Key

DSC01165_zpsd3a0be43.jpg

DSC01166_zps31442330.jpg

Awesome! Thanks! Looks like they have at least the following to do.

• Finish Pool Incline Rebar
  • Pour Pool Floor Concrete
  • Pour Concrete in Surrounding Pool Deck
  • Paint Pool
  • Install Pool Light Bulbs and Glass
  • Landscaping

Disappointing... At this rate it might be the beginning of May before it opens. Oh well, parkhoppers+water park option will get us all the pool fun we need.

Can anyone suggest a room (or set of rooms) that will provide for a non construction view? Doesn't matter if it is CL or non garden view, but would prefer a non CL Garden View room with king bed.

After seeing those photos, I'm not sure what kind of view I really want at Sugarloaf. Any suggestions on what I can request that doesn't look directly into the pool (we have always had that view when at SL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter