A Disney-addicted mom: 2nd annual August trip and Marathon Weekend *Update 10/7*

I'm pretty sure we're going to change our V&A dinner for dinner at Jiko. Tom was, surprisingly, downright enthusiastic at Jiko. I'm dying to check out AKL since I've always wanted to stay there (and I'm hoping that Tom will love the resort enough that we will stay there some day!). And I've read that the wine list at Jiko is spectacular. I posted a thread about the curry issue and the unanimous answer was that I'd be totally fine eating there. So I'm convinced!

I thought I'd give a little update on our house buying because it's a nice story. The house we're living in is an estate property. That doesn't mean it's huge or anything, but the woman who owned it died several years ago (she was 96). She never married or had children so the house is part of her estate, most of which goes to charity. The lawyer for the estate lives locally and is lovely. We met her when we moved in and she said, "Your family is exactly what this house needs. Lots of children and laughter and a dog. The house never had a big family but it's a house that should have a big family." She's always wanted us to buy this house. Our problem has always been down payment money. Just to give an idea the median house price in our town is over $1 million dollars. This house costs much less than that but you need to think NY prices to understand the obstacles we face. I've religiously saved down payment money and we can borrow from retirement accounts but closing costs are going to be high. Tom explained our situation to the lawyer. She talked to the various beneficiaries of the estate and wrote a lovely email. They are taking $10,000 off the sale price and are willing to make concessions so we can include some of the closing costs in the mortgage. This will make it possible for us to have enough money to proceed. I didn't think human decency existed in real estate (we had bid on a different house and had a terrible experience!) so my faith in humanity is restored!

Amanda

That is fantastic about the house!!!

I have weird curry associations. I don't really like the way it smells, but I finally bit the bullet and tried it and I love to eat it. I'm not saying you should do this, just letting you know that I understand the curry aversion!

I'm glad that Jiko will be a nice substitution for you. I hear great things! AKL is beautiful. We have visited for meals at Boma.

And I just saw your post over on the BC/YC board. Thanks so much. Made me tear up just a tiny bit!!! I really appreciate it! You nailed it on the head- I just try to let people know that the info is there.

You know, I went back to several of that posters recent posts and replies and I didn't see anything derogatory. :confused3 It may not even have been a post from me. She did ask a question about if wifi was free and someone may have mocked the thought that Disney would do anything for free. IDK.

But thanks, again!

Dee

That is fantastic about the house!!!

I have weird curry associations. I don't really like the way it smells, but I finally bit the bullet and tried it and I love to eat it. I'm not saying you should do this, just letting you know that I understand the curry aversion!

I'm glad that Jiko will be a nice substitution for you. I hear great things! AKL is beautiful. We have visited for meals at Boma.

And I just saw your post over on the BC/YC board. Thanks so much. Made me tear up just a tiny bit!!! I really appreciate it! You nailed it on the head- I just try to let people know that the info is there.

You know, I went back to several of that posters recent posts and replies and I didn't see anything derogatory. :confused3 It may not even have been a post from me. She did ask a question about if wifi was free and someone may have mocked the thought that Disney would do anything for free. IDK.

But thanks, again!

Dee

I'm pretty happy about the house, too! :thumbsup2
I actually have tried curry. Many times. And I've tried other Indian food. I've finally learned that I just don't care for it. So I've decided to accept that fact and move on! ;)
I get SO annoyed when people take offense over nothing. Especially when I know that you work harder than anyone to make sure the BC/YC info is correct and current. I just needed to point out that referring someone to the beginning of the thread wasn't to say that you (or anyone else) minds answering the same questions (over and over) but that some of the information can be more easily obtained by checking there first. The next question that person has might have already been answered!
I started a thread once to ask about Southwest Airlines' boarding policy since I was flying solo with my 3 kids and had never flown Southwest. I simply asked if it was worth the $10 per ticket extra for priority boarding. The thread devolved into an argument about "saving seats" on Southwest by having one person in the group spend $10 and then holding seats for the rest of the party. This, obviously, had nothing to do with my question since I wasn't going to let a 6 year old board the plane alone and save seats for the rest of us. :lmao: I mean I am a bad enough mother that we've lost said child at Disney twice, but even I have my standards! :scared1:

Amanda

Yay for Jiko!!!! I want to badly to go there, if Rey & I take a weekend trip next year, it's top on the list! Great news about your house, Congrats!!

Aww, Jiko will be perfect! I've always wanted to try that filet with the mac and cheese-- looks SO yummy!
Congratulations on your house!! With house prices the way they are around here, our options will pretty much be to rent forever or move further upstate (Not an option when my commute to the city is already pretty far). I'm so glad the real estate people were able to work with you to make things possible!! :hug:

Aww, Jiko will be perfect! I've always wanted to try that filet with the mac and cheese-- looks SO yummy!
Congratulations on your house!! With house prices the way they are around here, our options will pretty much be to rent forever or move further upstate (Not an option when my commute to the city is already pretty far). I'm so glad the real estate people were able to work with you to make things possible!! :hug:

I totally know what you mean. I'm turning 40 this year and my DH is turning 42. We're both surgeons who work full-time and we're finally buying a house. It's ridiculous. My SIL just moved from Brewster to Montreal because of cost-of-living issues. It's just insane! We can afford mortgage payments but saving the down payment money took years. Very discouraging!

Amanda

I'm all caught up now. I was sad that you had to cut V&A, but I'm glad you picked Jiko, it will be fun t o check out AKL too. My other choice for you was Bluezoo, I think it would be a very grown-up place to go.

Two cruises coming up! That is so cool. I have cruised many times but never on a Disney cruise, I think it sounds great!

I'm sure the news about Zachary was emotional to hear. I was a teacher for a long time and am now an elementary school counselor and have attended countless IEP meetings. But it wasn't until I had my own kids that I realized how tough it would be as a parent to sit in those meetings. Sounds like you are getting good services and he's doing well. All your kids are so cute, I loved the story about Jessica crying cause the Disney trip is so far away, bless her heart!

Are you still doing surveys?? I'm still plugging along!

I'm all caught up now. I was sad that you had to cut V&A, but I'm glad you picked Jiko, it will be fun t o check out AKL too. My other choice for you was Bluezoo, I think it would be a very grown-up place to go.

Two cruises coming up! That is so cool. I have cruised many times but never on a Disney cruise, I think it sounds great!

I'm sure the news about Zachary was emotional to hear. I was a teacher for a long time and am now an elementary school counselor and have attended countless IEP meetings. But it wasn't until I had my own kids that I realized how tough it would be as a parent to sit in those meetings. Sounds like you are getting good services and he's doing well. All your kids are so cute, I loved the story about Jessica crying cause the Disney trip is so far away, bless her heart!

Are you still doing surveys?? I'm still plugging along!

We ate at Bluezoo in August and loved it! I'm happy to try something new though.

I cried and cried during Zachary's CPSE meeting. The woman in charge of CPSE in our district is awful. She gave us a 20 minute lecture on how Zachary's choking can't be significant if he's never had pneumonia. The swallow/feeding expert at my children's hospital thinks it's significant but I guess you know more than a respected PhD in speech and swallow! She was SO condescending. I mostly do ok with Zachary's diagnosis - mostly because he's such a wonderful little boy - but that meeting pushed all of my buttons!

Jessica is just a sweetie!

I am doing surveys! I have enough for another $25 Disney GC but I'm going to wait to redeem. I get discouraged when my balance is so low!!!

Amanda

I'm stuck at the am EMH vs RD at non-EMH park debate. I want to start thinking about lunches so I need to figure out park days. Tom won't discuss at all (too stressed about house buying to think ahead).
Saturday is arrival day. We may wander to MK to get our APs and buy our TIW card. Dinner at Chef Mickey's.
Sunday I was thinking MK. It's not an EMH day (I don't think any park has am EMH that day).
Monday I had planned Epcot with lunch at Via Napoli but no I'm thinking maybe AK for am EMH. Hmmm.
I think Epcot has am EMH on Tuesday. Wednesday was our mellow day with BBB and CRT in pm.
Thurs is MK EMH am.
Friday would then be DHS. Which seems a long time to wait for DHS!

Or we could do AK on Fri instead of Mon and not sure am EMH. Thoughts?

Amanda

We never do am EMHs. Our strategy is to go to the park that had pm EMHs the night before hoping that since a lot of folks were there so late that they most likely won't be returning to that park in the morning. It seems to work ok for us. I have never been in August but the last two weeks are part of the Value season so I'm thinking it's not going to be as crowded as March or April anyway. This is exactly why planning for a WDW vacation is necessary though! Scott thinks I'm crazy with my excel spreadsheets and notes! :rotfl:

We never do am EMHs. Our strategy is to go to the park that had pm EMHs the night before hoping that since a lot of folks were there so late that they most likely won't be returning to that park in the morning. It seems to work ok for us. I have never been in August but the last two weeks are part of the Value season so I'm thinking it's not going to be as crowded as March or April anyway. This is exactly why planning for a WDW vacation is necessary though! Scott thinks I'm crazy with my excel spreadsheets and notes! :rotfl:

I've heard about that strategy! We tend to be morning people so one would think am EMH would be perfect for us. And yet I always feel like I'm the only one gunning to get to the park for opening. :confused3 I guess I don't need to make lunch ADRs yet anyway.

Amanda

I feel like I did a lot more planning stuff for last year's trip. I'm not sure which "extras" I should do this year. I made coloring books and travel journals which only got used a little. I bought little gifts and made autograph books. We designed t-shirts on zazzle.
I'll make one autograph book for the kids to share. It's basically done but I'm waiting to see about any character or meal changes closer to the trip. I want to make t-shirts but I'm still undecided. Mickey tie dyes on Etsy? Zazzle again? Which character?
I'm thinking instead of making journals for each kid, I'll buy that Disney journal for kids (can't think of the name right now) and we can share it. I will buy glow sticks again and maybe some cheap activity books instead of homemade.
I felt that last year the kids used video games/movie watching on the plane instead of the books I made. At restaurants they used the stuff on the kid menus (until later in the trip when they got repetitive).
Ideas?

Amanda

I don't have a lot of ideas since my kids are bigger and I don't really remember a lot about what we did for dinner or traveling beyond the things you've already mentioned. We did usually get them a few new toys for traveling that we'd give them one at a time to keep their interest.

I don't have a lot of ideas since my kids are bigger and I don't really remember a lot about what we did for dinner or traveling beyond the things you've already mentioned. We did usually get them a few new toys for traveling that we'd give them one at a time to keep their interest.

Thanks Hope. I'm trying to save money while still making the trip special. I think I really spoiled them last year but I'm not sure they really cared that much! :lmao:

Amanda

Opinions: To rent a car or not to rent a car. That is the question....

Here's my thinking. Tom wants to take a car service instead of DME. It'll cost about $150 round trip. For not much more we can probably get a rental car. We can walk to MK and take the monorail(s) to Epcot. But I *hate* taking the bus to and from the parks. Especially with 2 strollers and the gear. We would use the car to get from the airport to the resort (with a grocery stop!). Then we'd use it for AK, DHS, and maybe Epcot days. We'd take the monorail to Epcot on dinner nights (so Tom and I can drink!) and we'd walk or take monorail to MK. What do the experts think?

Amanda

Just joining in on the Pre Trip Planning Fun! Your children are adorable! We're taking a trip in October and my 3 kiddos are very similar to yours in age. 6, 4 & 2. Gonna head back and read the rest of your PTR now :)

Candace

If you were going to pay for a car from the airport and back, then I would definitely just get a rental car instead! I don't think it will be much more, there are specials you can find even less than that, I think, and the convenience of driving instead of taking the buss would be worth it for me! :thumbsup2

Just joining in on the Pre Trip Planning Fun! Your children are adorable! We're taking a trip in October and my 3 kiddos are very similar to yours in age. 6, 4 & 2. Gonna head back and read the rest of your PTR now :)

Candace

Welcome!!! And thank you!

If you were going to pay for a car from the airport and back, then I would definitely just get a rental car instead! I don't think it will be much more, there are specials you can find even less than that, I think, and the convenience of driving instead of taking the buss would be worth it for me! :thumbsup2

That was my thinking. We used to use DME which is free. If we're already paying $150 for a car service, why not just have a car?

Amanda

Thanks Hope. I'm trying to save money while still making the trip special. I think I really spoiled them last year but I'm not sure they really cared that much! :lmao:

Amanda

Oh yeah, I know what you mean about the kids not really caring! :rotfl: I didn't mean expensive toys. We used to go to the Everything's $1 Shop and got some playing cards, travel games and activity books, never spending more than about 5 or 6 dollars. When the kids would start to say they were bored we'd pull out one of the cheap things we'd picked up and it would keep them occupied for a while. Lots of those dollar shops even have Disney themed things and it turns out to be cheaper than using your printer ink to make something. Of course these things worked for my kids but won't for everyone's- just an idea. :thumbsup2

Opinions: To rent a car or not to rent a car. That is the question....

Here's my thinking. Tom wants to take a car service instead of DME. It'll cost about $150 round trip. For not much more we can probably get a rental car. We can walk to MK and take the monorail(s) to Epcot. But I *hate* taking the bus to and from the parks. Especially with 2 strollers and the gear. We would use the car to get from the airport to the resort (with a grocery stop!). Then we'd use it for AK, DHS, and maybe Epcot days. We'd take the monorail to Epcot on dinner nights (so Tom and I can drink!) and we'd walk or take monorail to MK. What do the experts think?

Amanda

I'd definitely go with the rental car if you are going to be paying for the car from the airport anyway. I'm fine with no car for Karen and my adults only trip but I don't know if I'll ever do Disney with no car with kids again! :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter