A Disney-addicted mom: 2nd annual August trip and Marathon Weekend *Update 10/7*

:woohoo: Congrats on booking flights for your cruise! We went on a cruise for our honeymoon and it was so much fun. I actually wanted to try a family cruise this year instead of Disney but Kya (who had a panic attack on the plane last year) said she didn't think she'd be comfortable on a ship. :confused3 Oh well, maybe in a year or two she'll feel differently.

I agree with Karen that the Mickey shirts aren't difficult, just time consuming. We love ours and they definitely attracted attention at WDW. :cutie:

The mickey tie dyes take lots of time, but they aren't too difficult, just time consuming (and messy!) We really love ours and will be making more this summer, I don't care if we all end up with one for each day! :laughing:

Too funny! The time-consuming part scares me. The tie dying part I can do. Maybe I'll buy t-shirts from zazzle and then let the kids dye them?

Save yourself some time and try etsy. They've got some excellent crafters!

http://www.etsy.com/search/handmade?q=dye+tie+mickey

Thank you for the AWESOME link! I think I might order some stuff. Need to check with the family to make sure everyone approves.
And I think I convinced Tom to come check out the Dis dads!!!! Thanks again for that suggestion!

:woohoo: Congrats on booking flights for your cruise! We went on a cruise for our honeymoon and it was so much fun. I actually wanted to try a family cruise this year instead of Disney but Kya (who had a panic attack on the plane last year) said she didn't think she'd be comfortable on a ship. :confused3 Oh well, maybe in a year or two she'll feel differently.

I agree with Karen that the Mickey shirts aren't difficult, just time consuming. We love ours and they definitely attracted attention at WDW. :cutie:

Thanks Hope! You and Karen have the advantage of being with your kids ALL day so that even if something is time-consuming, you can adjust other things. And you two are definitely craftier than I am. Trust me on this one! The fact that I can download autograph cards and then make an autograph book on Shutterfly is a major accomplishment for me! :thumbsup2

That's too bad that Kya is afraid to cruise. The ships are SO huge! I've had a few panic attacks on airplane (mostly in the middle of the night on red eyes) so I can totally relate but I'm sure she'd be fine.

Amanda

Congrats on booking your October flights!

Thank you! I'm excited!

So in addition to all of my other life stresses, my nanny is leaving us at the end of the month. She met a guy on the internet and is moving in with him (he lives in Jacksonville, FL). I think I've found a replacement....

In house news we've found a house 2 blocks away that we can afford. The estate for our current house seems to be dragging its feet. I don't know if this is because nobody can agree or because they are hoping to get more $$$ (which we can't do and won't do). The "new" house we saw is quite a bit smaller BUT has been updated - new windows, central a/c, etc. We would definitely need to de-clutter A LOT before moving but I think it would still be a good house for us. I think we'd want to upgrade to a bigger house in 3-5 years but I think the house would retain its value. Our current house needs LOTS of work (new windows, upgraded electrical, central a/c, new kitchen and bathrooms) but is much bigger. Hmmm...

In other news... I've made the momentous decision to NOT renew our APs. It just doesn't make sense when we aren't going back until the end of August. I'll get new APs in August. It'll cost $100 more (total, not per AP) but then we can use them next June if we want a few park days when we cruise.

Amanda

Thank you for the AWESOME link! I think I might order some stuff. Need to check with the family to make sure everyone approves.
And I think I convinced Tom to come check out the Dis dads!!!! Thanks again for that suggestion!

I'm ordering shirts for our trip in April from Pixiecrafts. I'll let you know how they turn out!

I hope the $$ issues with the new house get sorted-- no work needing to be done sounds nice!

I'm been so caught up with life that I haven't done too much trip planning but a few updates...

Unbelievably JetBlue has changed our flight times for the August trip...again! And emailed me twice and left a voice message....for a flight on September 3rd. Really??? :scared1: enough already. Wait until August 1st and then tell me all the changes. :rotfl2:

I signed up for the 2012 Full Marathon. That's 26.2 miles of fun. Or something like that. My DH signed up (again) for the 1/2 but I think he'll really do it this time. I also think my step-sister is going to do the 1/2. As long as her annual work conference is the week after Marathon Weekend. I strongly thinking about leaving the kids home this time but I'm conflicted. I was also thinking about having them run the kids races to inspire them a little. :confused3 I'd love some thoughts from the "experts" about that. I don't need to think about lodging, yet, but I'm always thinking ahead. The Poly was great. CL was super convenient but we could also consider CR or BLT. If no kids, then maybe even GF. It was nice for the family to walk to the end of the driveway and watch me run by without messing with early morning
transportation...

I think I'm done interviewing potential nannies and I offered the job to one. Really there were 3 who were great and one more who was fine. Hopefully someone will accept! My outgoing nanny also discovered that she's actually pregnant from this new boyfriend so that should be interesting...

The house stuff is still stressful with no final word on anything. I'll update when I know more.

Amanda

And you two are definitely craftier than I am.

:lmao: You have no idea how inaccurate this statement is! :laughing: Hope and I are about as crafty as 5 year olds...actually, MOST 5 year olds I know are MORE crafty! I think Hope would agree with me, we just take the "fake it till you make it" stance with crafty stuff...and we know how to take good enough photos that we "look" crafty when we really aren't! :rotfl:

:lmao: You have no idea how inaccurate this statement is! :laughing: Hope and I are about as crafty as 5 year olds...actually, MOST 5 year olds I know are MORE crafty! I think Hope would agree with me, we just take the "fake it till you make it" stance with crafty stuff...and we know how to take good enough photos that we "look" crafty when we really aren't! :rotfl:

Too funny Karen! :lmao: Although you're brave enough to try, which says a lot!!!

Amanda

Shhh... Karen, that was supposed to be our little secret. :lmao:

I have no advice to offer but have to say that I'm in awe of you doing the full! :worship:

I'm glad you have some options with the nanny, I hope it's a smooth transition for everyone. When I was still teaching I was really blessed with a FANTASTIC caregiver (that my kids still call Grandma) and it was such a weight off my shoulders to know they were well taken care of while I was working. :goodvibes

Shhh... Karen, that was supposed to be our little secret. :lmao:

Then you ladies are GREAT photographers!!! :lmao:

I have no advice to offer but have to say that I'm in awe of you doing the full! :worship:

I'm glad you have some options with the nanny, I hope it's a smooth transition for everyone. When I was still teaching I was really blessed with a FANTASTIC caregiver (that my kids still call Grandma) and it was such a weight off my shoulders to know they were well taken care of while I was working. :goodvibes

Thanks Hope!
We offered a job to one of the candidates and she accepted. One less stress!

Amanda

I feel like I did SO much more to prepare for our trip last year. Or maybe I'm just starting too early this year and there isn't much to plan right now. I also feel like the kids didn't really use all of the wonderful things I made for them - travel journals, coloring books, etc. - so I'm not sure I'm going to do that again. :confused3 I have an autograph book ready for order on Shutterfly but I'm waiting because 1. I don't want new character greetings to be announced that I can't include in the book. 2. I want to wait for a good promotion.

I have my ADRs done. I have a vague sense of which park on which day. I made the BBB reservations. I booked our flights. It's too early to worry about transportation (we'll probably take a car service again because we loved the convenience and the grocery stop!). I'm not ready to order t-shirts yet because I'm not 100% sure what I want to do this year. It's a little early to print a count-down chain.

What else can I start to work on for our trip? I need ideas to distract me from all the stress in my life!!!

Amanda

Hey Amanda! I'm slowly getting caught up with everyone's updates and all the new plans being made!
I don't know why people hate the Wave Restaurant so much we have been twice, the most recent visit being this past trip I just got back from, and we loved the food. It was probably the best meal I had this time!:thumbsup2 I'll post some pictures from that meal in my TR. Just thinking about it is making my mouth water! :rotfl:

I just read your post about signing up for the full! Congratulations!!!!! I'm downgrading to the half for next year, but I'm kind of considering going Goofy in 2013. I guess we'll see.

Hey Amanda! I'm slowly getting caught up with everyone's updates and all the new plans being made!
I don't know why people hate the Wave Restaurant so much we have been twice, the most recent visit being this past trip I just got back from, and we loved the food. It was probably the best meal I had this time!:thumbsup2 I'll post some pictures from that meal in my TR. Just thinking about it is making my mouth water! :rotfl:

Thank you for your input! As much as I like Kona, I may move our ADR to the Wave. Hmmm. The rest of our dinners are pretty set...

I just read your post about signing up for the full! Congratulations!!!!! I'm downgrading to the half for next year, but I'm kind of considering going Goofy in 2013. I guess we'll see.

I really want to try to do a Goofy, too. I don't think I should try that until I've finished a full. Maybe we'll go for it together in 2013????

Amanda

I feel like my life has been SO crazy that I've barely thought about my Disney trip. Or, more accurately, my life is crazy so all I do is *think* about Disney but I haven't been able to plan anything! :lmao:

Funny story: Jessica woke up yesterday morning just as I was leaving for work. She wasn't fully awake and was quite distressed that I was leaving. Real tears and everything! :sad1: I got her calmed down and then she started crying again. I asked what was wrong this time and she said, "It's too long until we go to Disney World again." What have I created????? :rotfl2: She's definitely MY kid! :scared1:

I may try to make the countdown chain with the kids this weekend. Our nanny (the one who is leaving) has used up all of our color ink (I think she prints out grocery coupons in color :rolleyes: ) and I just ordered some replacement. I think it's a little soon to start the countdown but we don't have to start tearing off the strips yet.

Tom is off to D.C. for 3 days, starting Sunday. Then we're going to Baltimore for 3 nights during Spring Break. I lived to Baltimore for 2 years and Jessica was born there (Tom was living in NY and we were commuting back and forth - I don't recommend it!). The kids really want to see where we used to live. And the Yankees are playing at Camden Yards while we're there!!!! We're staying at a Hyatt Regency on the water and got a pretty good deal. I figure one day at the Aquarium, maybe some time at the Science Center, the B&O train museum is having Easter Bunny train rides, and we can visit our old neighborhood. Plus the baseball game. Should be fun!!!

Amanda

My brother and his family live in Owings Mills MD so we spend quite a bit of time down that way in the summer. We love the Inner Harbor area. There's so much fun stuff to see and do.:goodvibes Baltimore is definitely one of my favorite cities to visit! I love going to ball games at Camden Yard too, only we go to see the Red Sox...:rolleyes: Can we still be friends? :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter