A Disney-addicted mom: 2nd annual August trip and Marathon Weekend *Update 10/7*

I think I must have SAD. I spend all day every day thinking about various trips we could take to warmer climates. :lmao: It's warmer today but not sunny. I just want to be in the warm sunshine right now!!!!

I'm really psyched about our ADRs. I'm not so sure about spending a small fortune on the Queen Victoria's room at V&A but DH seems ok with it. We can always change to a regular table at V&A as the date gets closer.

I keep checking Touringplans.com to help make park decisions. I'm still a little undecided about morning EMH. I really think we might be better off just getting to RD at a non-EMH park. But I'm not sure. On vacation the kids tend to sleep a little later but we're still early risers. I found last year that we never made RD on an EMH morning but we could make RD on a regular morning. I love RD, especially at MK. And I like the idea of spending a little more time eating a good breakfast in the room before attacking the day. Opinions?

My other ??? is DME vs. a car service. We had a not so good DME experience last August. In January we used a car service and it was really nice. But I'm worried about wasting money on luxury, especially since we are trying to buy a house. What to do? I think Tom will say car service but we'll see.

It's a little early to start our day to day park touring plans. I need to think about designing a cool t-shirt for this summer. Not sure where to start this time. We did Phineas and Ferb last year and then Dash from the Incredibles for Marathon Weekend. Hmmmm. I'm also thinking about making an autograph book for the summer. Last trip I made the 3 kids share ONE autograph book and it worked pretty well. So I think I'll make one autograph book to share. We bought the cheezy 2011 one in January. I would like to introduce the kids to pin trading but I think Tom will be dead-set against it. Need to work on that. :rolleyes1 I like the idea of buying a bunch off of Ebay for the kids to trade. And we can get lanyards for about $0.50 each.

I don't know if I mentioned it before but Tom and I are planning a 4 night cruise on the Dream in October (without children) to celebrate my 40th birthday. I'm pretty excited!!!

Amanda

I recommend regular, non EMH rope drop. For us, we crash so much earlier if we hit EMH rope drop. That extra hour makes so much of a difference, sleep-wise. Plus, I never feel we get enough done in that one hour to make it worthwhile.
We're all about DME! I remember what happened to you guys, but I feel like that's more of a fluke than a regular occurrence. We always pack a change of clothes in our carry-ons (along with a toothbrush). Last time, we landed at 1, and our stuff was in our room by the time we returned to our room at 10:00 p.m. that night. I love the convenience of not having to pick up our stuff at the airport-- plus that video always puts me in the mood for vacation!
Ooo, the Dream will be fun! You should definitely do a TR of that trip, too!
Btw, we finally purchased our flights-- Airtran out of LaGuardia. We have a stopover, but we don't have to change planes, which is a plus. The price was too good to pass up-- everything else was getting crazy high!

I recommend regular, non EMH rope drop. For us, we crash so much earlier if we hit EMH rope drop. That extra hour makes so much of a difference, sleep-wise. Plus, I never feel we get enough done in that one hour to make it worthwhile.
We're all about DME! I remember what happened to you guys, but I feel like that's more of a fluke than a regular occurrence. We always pack a change of clothes in our carry-ons (along with a toothbrush). Last time, we landed at 1, and our stuff was in our room by the time we returned to our room at 10:00 p.m. that night. I love the convenience of not having to pick up our stuff at the airport-- plus that video always puts me in the mood for vacation!
Ooo, the Dream will be fun! You should definitely do a TR of that trip, too!
Btw, we finally purchased our flights-- Airtran out of LaGuardia. We have a stopover, but we don't have to change planes, which is a plus. The price was too good to pass up-- everything else was getting crazy high!

Thanks for the opinions!
I totally felt rushed getting to morning EMH. And I felt like I was pushing everyone to get going when they weren't totally committed. We would always get to EMH at like 8:30 or 8:45 and that seems like it defeats the purpose!
I always pack bathing suits/extra clothes in our carry-ons. Especially with children! I don't care so much about the luggage delivery. It's the long wait for the bus and then multiple stops. Tom was always a big fan of DME but recently he's changed his mind. :confused3 Before you know it, I'll convince him to rent a car! :lmao:
I promise to do a trip report of our Dream sailing. We're actually booked on 2 different Dream trips - one for my birthday in October and one with kids on Podcast Cruise 3.0 in June, 2012. I feel very spoiled!!!
Congrats on booking flights! I've seen those AirTran flights that stop without changing planes. They were pretty expensive last year but so was everything else (hence we drove to Islip to fly Southwest). I totally would have booked one if the price had been right. I've also noticed that Delta has decent fares, depending on when you look. We lucked out with JetBlue out of White Plains for August!

Amanda

YAY another trip for you!!!! I have dropped off the DIS planet as this pregnancy has kicked my butt (really, the hyperemesis, the zofran cadd pump, the cellulitis from the cadd, then the cardiac issues started, but good news in baby is ok!). We don't have any trips planned :sad1: but if my kids had their way we would be going back this summer......hopefully I can work some extra patients and put my bonuses toward a trip for next year.

Anyway happy to live my Disney dreams thru you for the moment!

Gosh Amanda, I'm just checking in and you're already at page 4!

Now I need to go back and read.

Dee

Congrats on your ADRs!!! They look fantastic. I was not early enough to ring in, but I would have chosen Kona over Ohana too, based on our prior visits.

We are total EMH devotees, but your reasons to consider going to a non-EMH park are totally valid. But then again, what time would you have to leave BLT to manage an 8 AM rope drop at MK? Can you/would you walk?

If you mentioned the cruise(s), I missed it. WOW!!!

I've read lots of good things about the pirates league. I love that you are letting Zachary really think about it and choose.

Dee

YAY another trip for you!!!! I have dropped off the DIS planet as this pregnancy has kicked my butt (really, the hyperemesis, the zofran cadd pump, the cellulitis from the cadd, then the cardiac issues started, but good news in baby is ok!). We don't have any trips planned :sad1: but if my kids had their way we would be going back this summer......hopefully I can work some extra patients and put my bonuses toward a trip for next year.

Anyway happy to live my Disney dreams thru you for the moment!

I'm sorry you've been so sick!!! Glad the baby is doing well. When are you due? Hang in there! At least pregnancy is a temporary state of being and not permanent. And you get a cute baby in the end. :thumbsup2

Gosh Amanda, I'm just checking in and you're already at page 4!

Now I need to go back and read.

Dee

I'm always behind! :scared1:

Congrats on your ADRs!!! They look fantastic. I was not early enough to ring in, but I would have chosen Kona over Ohana too, based on our prior visits.

We are total EMH devotees, but your reasons to consider going to a non-EMH park are totally valid. But then again, what time would you have to leave BLT to manage an 8 AM rope drop at MK? Can you/would you walk?

If you mentioned the cruise(s), I missed it. WOW!!!

I've read lots of good things about the pirates league. I love that you are letting Zachary really think about it and choose.

Dee

I think Kona was the right choice, too!
I'm planning to use the MK EMH on Thursday morning. I think that's the only day that MK has early hours that we can use. I love early morning EMH but I can't get my family out the door in a timely fashion. :lmao:
I'm so excited to try cruising!!!
I think the boys will like Pirate League but Nathaniel can be funny (it's Nathaniel, not Zachary, that is painfully shy. Zachary is a social butterfly and totally go with the flow.). I don't want to sign him up for something that he's going to hate. They might do better at the Harmony Barber Shop (which Nathaniel and Jessica did last August).

Amanda

Funny story and then opinion needed!
I was showing Jessica the stuff about the Pirate League on the Disney website. On the website they show 2 parents who have been decked out as pirates along with their child. Jessica's comment was that the Pirate League would be cool for the boys but "Mommy, you and Daddy shouldn't do it!" :rotfl: Only 5 years old and already embarassed about her parents.... ;)

I need some help with the Wednesday of our trip. Tuesday night Tom and I are doing the Queen Victoria Dining Room at V&A. It's a multi-course dinner and we'll probably do the wine pairing. READ: We'll be tired and a little hung over come Wednesday morning. Here's what is set for Wednseday: Jessica has a BBB appointment at the castle at 3pm and we have ADRs for dinner at CRT (Maybe 5:30ish? I have to check...). I was planning for Wednesday to be a mellow day. Maybe pool? Maybe DTD? I was also thinking about maybe going for breakfast at Kona Cafe (I'm dying to try Tonga Toast and we don't do a lot of sit-down breakfasts). I need help figuring this day out!

One idea is 8:30 breakfast at Kona Cafe and then take a bus to DTD. We could eat lunch there or even come back to BLT and eat in the room. Jessica and I can head over to MK around 2-ish. If we don't go back to BLT, we can take a bus straight from DTD to MK (I would probably leave DTD around 1:30 to be safe). Boys can either come to MK and do Pirate League vs. Harmony Barber Shop or they can stay at BLT and swim. How much time do we need at DTD? My kids are young so the shopping aspect isn't quite the thrill. I was considering the car building thing for them (Ride Maker or something?).

Other option is breakfast in the room and spend the morning at the resort. Swim, hang out, maybe indulge in some watercraft stuff or video arcade (depending on weather considerations). Jessica and I head over for her appointment with or without the boys. Relaxing day enjoying all that BLT/CR have to offer.

We haven't really spent time at DTD. When we stayed at SSR in 2009, we had dinner at DTD a few nights. We didn't really see anything beyond the 2 restaurants and the lego store.

Amanda

Monday was ADR day! I will say it was really nice to have a TA dealnwill the whole process. We basically got everything we wanted.

Saturday dinner: Chef Mickey's
Sunday dinner: Kona Cafe
Monday lunch: Via Napoli
Monday dinner: Teppan Edo
Tuesday dinner: Queen Victoria's Room at V&A
Wednesday 3pm: BBB
Wednesday night: CRT
Thursday dinner: Le Cellier
Friday dinner: Garden Grill

Needless to say I'm very pleased!

Amanda

You did very well! Congrats! You will not regret Victoria and Alberts. Far and away the best meal at Disney.

One idea is 8:30 breakfast at Kona Cafe and then take a bus to DTD. We could eat lunch there or even come back to BLT and eat in the room. Jessica and I can head over to MK around 2-ish. If we don't go back to BLT, we can take a bus straight from DTD to MK (I would probably leave DTD around 1:30 to be safe). Boys can either come to MK and do Pirate League vs. Harmony Barber Shop or they can stay at BLT and swim. How much time do we need at DTD? My kids are young so the shopping aspect isn't quite the thrill. I was considering the car building thing for them (Ride Maker or something?).

We haven't really spent time at DTD. When we stayed at SSR in 2009, we had dinner at DTD a few nights. We didn't really see anything beyond the 2 restaurants and the lego store.

Amanda

DTD has been gutted recently. Not a lot to do for kids. Although, if you haven't been, the Cirque de Soliel show is spectacular. Well worth the trip! And here's a good tip, take a cab back to the hotel from DTD. It takes forever to get back and with young kids, those 45 minutes can really save you from a meltdown!

You might want to send your husband over to the Dis Dads thread! We might be able to help him get more into this! :cool1:

Funny story and then opinion needed!
I was showing Jessica the stuff about the Pirate League on the Disney website. On the website they show 2 parents who have been decked out as pirates along with their child. Jessica's comment was that the Pirate League would be cool for the boys but "Mommy, you and Daddy shouldn't do it!" :rotfl: Only 5 years old and already embarassed about her parents.... ;)

Hilarious! :lmao:

I need some help with the Wednesday of our trip. Tuesday night Tom and I are doing the Queen Victoria Dining Room at V&A. It's a multi-course dinner and we'll probably do the wine pairing. READ: We'll be tired and a little hung over come Wednesday morning. Here's what is set for Wednseday: Jessica has a BBB appointment at the castle at 3pm and we have ADRs for dinner at CRT (Maybe 5:30ish? I have to check...). I was planning for Wednesday to be a mellow day. Maybe pool? Maybe DTD? I was also thinking about maybe going for breakfast at Kona Cafe (I'm dying to try Tonga Toast and we don't do a lot of sit-down breakfasts). I need help figuring this day out!

We love DTD. Goofy's is a must for us (though I know it will be right before lunch but you can always get the stuff to go. The birds outside Goofy's at the entrance to RFC are fun to look at for a bit and my kids enjoyed choosing their own Christmas ornament at the Christmas store. In addition to the cars there is also the place to make your own ear hat, build your own light saber and build-a-dino (like build-a-bear) at T-rex. We really want to get into the magic shop next time as well because there is supposed to be a strolling parlor magician.

Other option is breakfast in the room and spend the morning at the resort. Swim, hang out, maybe indulge in some watercraft stuff or video arcade (depending on weather considerations). Jessica and I head over for her appointment with or without the boys. Relaxing day enjoying all that BLT/CR have to offer.

A relaxing day is a great option as well considering your late night and that your kids are smaller. I'd probably play it by ear and see how everyone feels that morning and then decide between a resort day and DTD (or maybe a little of both).

Amanda

I think I deleted the part of your post where you mentioned taking the bus from DTD to MK- I'm pretty sure the buses at DTD only go to the resorts, not the parks to discourage people from trying to park for free at DTD when they're going to a park. So, you'll either need to go back to the resort or take a cab to get to MK.

You did very well! Congrats! You will not regret Victoria and Alberts. Far and away the best meal at Disney.

DTD has been gutted recently. Not a lot to do for kids. Although, if you haven't been, the Cirque de Soliel show is spectacular. Well worth the trip! And here's a good tip, take a cab back to the hotel from DTD. It takes forever to get back and with young kids, those 45 minutes can really save you from a meltdown!

You might want to send your husband over to the Dis Dads thread! We might be able to help him get more into this! :cool1:

Thank you so much for popping over! Good to hear I did well with my ADRs. I always worry!!,
Thanks for the DTD advice. I'm still not sure if we should spend a few hours there or not. Hmmm.
I showed Tom the dad thread (which I think is awesome! You guys rock!!) but he hasn't committed yet.

Amanda

I think I deleted the part of your post where you mentioned taking the bus from DTD to MK- I'm pretty sure the buses at DTD only go to the resorts, not the parks to discourage people from trying to park for free at DTD when they're going to a park. So, you'll either need to go back to the resort or take a cab to get to MK.

Thanks for your thoughts Hope. I knew that your family had enjoyed DTD so I was thinking that might be a fun option. But maybe it's more fun if you head over for dinner? I think you're right that we should just play it by ear. I didn't realize that DTD buses don't go to parks. We can walk to MK from BLT so it's not a big deal!

I'm still undecided about breakfast at Kona...

How about breakfast and Kona, then return to BLT for a relaxing resort day around the pool? You have a lot going on that afternoon with BBB/Pirate's League and CRT, so I suggest skipping the overstimulation and travel headaches of adding DTD to the mix.

Kona is hands down my favorite breakfast in the World and in the world. The Tonga Toast is good, but the Macadamia Pineapple Pancakes are what make me drool!

Thanks for your thoughts Hope. I knew that your family had enjoyed DTD so I was thinking that might be a fun option. But maybe it's more fun if you head over for dinner? I think you're right that we should just play it by ear. I didn't realize that DTD buses don't go to parks. We can walk to MK from BLT so it's not a big deal!

I'm still undecided about breakfast at Kona...

You can get Tonga toast at the CS place at the Poly as well. So if that's your main reason for going to Kona and you'd rather keep things open by not booking another ADR then you might consider that.

How about breakfast and Kona, then return to BLT for a relaxing resort day around the pool? You have a lot going on that afternoon with BBB/Pirate's League and CRT, so I suggest skipping the overstimulation and travel headaches of adding DTD to the mix.

Kona is hands down my favorite breakfast in the World and in the world. The Tonga Toast is good, but the Macadamia Pineapple Pancakes are what make me drool!

Oooh. Macadamia pineapple pancakes. Yum!!!!
I'm really leaning towards the quiet day at the resort. It's enough to make me wish we had SAB this time. ;)

You can get Tonga toast at the CS place at the Poly as well. So if that's your main reason for going to Kona and you'd rather keep things open by not booking another ADR then you might consider that.

I didn't realize that Hope! That's for the info.

Amanda

So what's happening???
I booked flights for our October cruise!!! We're taking a Saturday night flight out of JFK. I think we'll probably stay at the airport Hyatt and then take a car service to the Port. I like the idea of stopping for bottled water and wine. I have my priorities straight! :lmao: On the way home we'll take an evening flight from MCO back to White Plains (which is 10 minutes or so from our house). There were no Saturday evening flights out of White Plains so this works better. With taxes and fees we're paying $215 per person on JetBlue. Not bad!!!
I need to renew Tom's and my APs soon. They expire in early April. I figure we'll use them in August and again in January for marathon weekend. I'm trying to see if we can come down in December for the BIG podcast event at Harry Potter. I think my partner usually has his timeshare then so I don't know if it'll work out. And I don't know if we'd just stay at Universal for a long weekend or stay at Disney and take a cab to Universal for the event. Hmmm. Our TIW card has more than paid for our APs so I think it's still worth it. My kids' APs expire in August and I haven't decided about renewing those. We'll probably spend a few days at Disney when we do the cruise in June, 2012 so that might be worth it. And, after the terrible winter we've had, I might be able to convince Tom to go to Disney for February break next year (although I'm secretly hoping to go to San Diego and Anaheim instead).
I don't have much update on the day to day plans yet. I have been working on a new autograph book for the kids (on Shutterfly). I have a draft done but I want to wait until closer to the trip to decide if I need to exchange some of the characters. I'm going to have my kids share ONE book.
Part of me wants to try to make tie dye Mickey shirts for our trip but I tend to bite off more than I can chew and I'm not the craftiest person in the world. I think I should probably just design shirts off of zazzle again but I don't have any good ideas. I actually *know* how to tie dye but I don't know if I can create the Mickey head. Sewing is not my strength (unless you count sewing in the operating room, in which case I'm quite skilled!).

Amanda

So what's happening???
I booked flights for our October cruise!!! We're taking a Saturday night flight out of JFK. I think we'll probably stay at the airport Hyatt and then take a car service to the Port. I like the idea of stopping for bottled water and wine. I have my priorities straight! :lmao: On the way home we'll take an evening flight from MCO back to White Plains (which is 10 minutes or so from our house). There were no Saturday evening flights out of White Plains so this works better. With taxes and fees we're paying $215 per person on JetBlue. Not bad!!!
I need to renew Tom's and my APs soon. They expire in early April. I figure we'll use them in August and again in January for marathon weekend. I'm trying to see if we can come down in December for the BIG podcast event at Harry Potter. I think my partner usually has his timeshare then so I don't know if it'll work out. And I don't know if we'd just stay at Universal for a long weekend or stay at Disney and take a cab to Universal for the event. Hmmm. Our TIW card has more than paid for our APs so I think it's still worth it. My kids' APs expire in August and I haven't decided about renewing those. We'll probably spend a few days at Disney when we do the cruise in June, 2012 so that might be worth it. And, after the terrible winter we've had, I might be able to convince Tom to go to Disney for February break next year (although I'm secretly hoping to go to San Diego and Anaheim instead).
I don't have much update on the day to day plans yet. I have been working on a new autograph book for the kids (on Shutterfly). I have a draft done but I want to wait until closer to the trip to decide if I need to exchange some of the characters. I'm going to have my kids share ONE book.
Part of me wants to try to make tie dye Mickey shirts for our trip but I tend to bite off more than I can chew and I'm not the craftiest person in the world. I think I should probably just design shirts off of zazzle again but I don't have any good ideas. I actually *know* how to tie dye but I don't know if I can create the Mickey head. Sewing is not my strength (unless you count sewing in the operating room, in which case I'm quite skilled!).

Amanda

The mickey tie dyes take lots of time, but they aren't too difficult, just time consuming (and messy!) We really love ours and will be making more this summer, I don't care if we all end up with one for each day! :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter