A DISers Book Club!

Count me in for a discussion group! I think that would be great .... just finished "listening/reading" The Shack and would love to discuss it. The Help was wonderful too!

The Michael Crichton book The Pirate Latitudes seems to be the popular choice for our first Dis Book Club Discussion.

This book is in libraries, It's in stores. It's in the shopping clubs (Sam's, BJ's, Costco) and it's available for the Kindle. I imagine it's available for the Sony Reader and Nook (or nook) as well.

I will set up a sticky for a separate discussion thread as soon as I'm done here.

I will also make an announcement on this week's discussion show about what we are doing.

Ladies and Gentlemen....start reading.

Thanks, Kevin, for selecting the title, getting us started and laying down the rules of the thread. I am looking forward to reading the book.

Wow! Every print, CD, and MP3 copy in Maine is checked out. Short waiting list, so I wil have a copy soon.

This is my first post on this thread, but I just had to comment on The Help.

I am from Jackson, MS and have lived here since college.

First of all, I got this book as an audiobook to keep my mind off of the drive to Disney in March. I LOVED IT! So much so that I have listened to it twice (and it is 18 hours long!)

The only thing better than the book, in my opinion, is listening to it with all of the accents - it was very well done!

It was surreal to be listening to them talk about places that I drive by daily. I have shopped at the Jitney 14 grocery for years, it is just a mile from my job. I am familiar with the hospitals, drug stores, neighborhoods that they discuss and it was so interesting to listen to them talk about them in the book.

I hate the way MS is portrayed in movies at times - like we are all back woods and are uneducated - but I loved this book. It is so rich with history.

Anyway...I just wanted to say that I love the book The Help and would recommend it in audio form, too!

The Michael Crichton book The Pirate Latitudes seems to be the popular choice for our first Dis Book Club Discussion.

This book is in libraries, It's in stores. It's in the shopping clubs (Sam's, BJ's, Costco) and it's available for the Kindle. I imagine it's available for the Sony Reader and Nook (or nook) as well.

I will set up a sticky for a separate discussion thread as soon as I'm done here.

I will also make an announcement on this week's discussion show about what we are doing.

As the lone DIS Nookie, I can confirm it is available in epub format from Barnes & Noble for the Nook. It is also available from my local library in epub format. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: But I have to read it in 14 days or it disappears. pirate:

It is available at my local library. I may get there tonight to check it out. I may try to find the audio format for my flight though.

On the last Roundtable the authors name was pronounced as "Kathryn Stockton" It is actually "Katheryn Stockett".

I grew up in Jackson, MS during the '60's. We had "Help" and my Mother was in the Junior League. The book is a good read and I think of it as historical fiction. Time, places and attitudes are pretty much the way it was. I do not recall the bathroom issue and we did not have a separate one at my house. However, this was the time of separate but equal in the deep south. There was separate but not very equal and crossing the line was not taken very well.

BTW the Junior League news letter was called "The Tattler".

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen is a wonderful book. I am currently on the 3rd Twilight series book. I love BelleWeather by Celia Rivenbark. If you like the vampire series books, try The Vampire Diaries by L. J. Smith. I like the Odd Thomas series from Dean Koontz.

Would anyone be interested in reading the same book together and commenting on it (i.e. like book clubs do)? It wouldn't have to be right away. Maybe in a few weeks? We could set up a separate thread for our discussions.

Just an idea. :)

That's a great idea Nikki, count me in. :)

Thirteen reasons why was very popular at the high schools last year.
I can see why it was popular in high school, it's an interesting format for a book. Different that the typical novel.

Another good book is My Sister's Keeper By Jodi Picoult
Yes, this was a good book. Did anyone see the movie?

I finished Dear John the other day and loved it! I will have to see the movie when it comes out on DVD. I am now starting the first book in the Percy Jackson series. A bunch of the kids in the elem. school are reading them, and I'm interested in seeing what they're about. I've read that they are being compared to Harry Potter.

I say keep going with Stephanie, but the real question is Ranger or Morelli?

Decisions, decisions! Morelli for me. ;) I love these books. Funny, when I read Kevin mentioned Sandra Bullock as Hilly in The Help(I LOVED this book), I have always pictured Bullock as Stephanie Plum! :)

Thanks Kevin! :)

As the lone DIS Nookie, I can confirm it is available in epub format from Barnes & Noble for the Nook. It is also available from my local library in epub format. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: But I have to read it in 14 days or it disappears. pirate:

Hi Georgemoe, just saying hi to another nookie, love mine!

OK, I just finished my favorite book I've read this year (so far):

Jewish Pirates of the Caribbean: How a Generation of Swashbuckling Jews Carved Out an Empire in the New World in Their Quest for Treasure, Religious Freedom--and Revenge
by Edward Kritzler

I found this nonfiction piece to be exciting and fascinating. I had no idea about how much the pirates of the Caribbean (and the trade routes between the New and Old Worlds) were involved in international rivalries and battles. Pirates weren't just robbers of the seas, but there were very much financed by Monarchs and big businessmen. In addition, it is amazing how the Inquisition tried to spread along the Caribbean to wipe out any non-Catholic enclaves. This book is a must for anyone interested in pirates, little known Jewish history, international intrigue, or a new perspective on a relatively unknown time in history. Lots of fun and filled with enlightening facts and true stories.

Now, I'm on to Disney War, by James B Stewart.

I just finished The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks and I really enjoyed it! I've started another one of his novels titled The Choice. I'm really excited to read his other books.
I also finished a book titled Nice Girls Don't Get Rich by Lois P. Frankel, PhD. A great book!
I'm hoping to find an out-of-print book called The Last of The California Girls, so hopefully when I journey to half-price books soon, I will be able to find it; I've heard nothing but excellent things.

I've been getting books together for my next Disney trip which is rapidly approaching. So far I have my GRE Test Prep for Dummies book, The Last Song, and The Choice (both my Nicholas Sparks)

I ordered a bunch of bargain books from Barnes & Noble (these were cheaper than on the Kindle, and I rationalized that I can make some money back by selling them at a garage sale!); the first one I am reading is "Mommy Millionaire" (http://www.mommymillionaire.com/mommy-millionare-book/). As a retail business owner, a lot of this book is very interesting to me; even though it focuses on people who create their own products (whereas I resell items I buy wholesale). Anyone who does sells their own handmade items and wants to build their business would find this very helpful!

HI! I've been listening to the podcasts and now have ventured to the boards! Heard about this thread on the podcast so I must jump on and put in my two cents worth.

I'm currently reading Charlene Harris's Sookie Stackhouse series. Have the twilight series to read next. Of course when a new Evanovich comes out I have to put everything down and read hers.

Holly
:3dglasses

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter