A DISers Book Club!

You might enjoy books by Carl Hiassen.

His books are a bit left of center and you find yourself laughing and not sure if you should be.

These are pretty easy reading and they set in Florida.

LOVE his books! I've even read the two he wrote for young adults and they were also quite good

I recommend "How to Be Like Walt", it's a lighter biography than the Neal Gabler one. I loved the Gabler book, but it's very detailed and might be more than folks want. "How to Be Like Walt" is more along the lines of Lee Cockrell's book "Creating Magic"-more of an advice/self-help kind of thing but using details from Walt's life as examples. Very enjoyable read.

So, now it's back to Edward Rutherford's "New York"

LOVE his books! I've even read the two he wrote for young adults and they were also quite good

I recommend "How to Be Like Walt", it's a lighter biography than the Neal Gabler one. I loved the Gabler book, but it's very detailed and might be more than folks want. "How to Be Like Walt" is more along the lines of Lee Cockrell's book "Creating Magic"-more of an advice/self-help kind of thing but using details from Walt's life as examples. Very enjoyable read.

Yes, How to Be Like Walt was a light, easy read. Glad you liked it! :thumbsup2
Also on my list is Spinning Disney's World but it isn't on Kindle so I will have to dig it up somewhere.

Maybe I'll give A is for Alibi a try. I just bought the entire series of the Wizard of Oz books for $.99 on Kindle. I thought those would be interesting to read every once in a while and the price was right! :)

I also saw the author of the Twilight wrote a new book called The Host, so I may try that too sometime.

I just finished Thirteen Reasons Why. It was a quick read. Makes you think. It was a sad subject to read about (teen suicide). The idea of the book was interesting...just not sure if it's a book I'd reread. Next up-Dear John.

I received How to be Like Walt as a gift. I am currently reading another Janet Evanovich novel, but hope to read that one soon. :thumbsup2

Just finished reading a great book called "The Last Stand of Fox Company" about a company of Marines in the Korean War at the Battle of the Chosin Reservoir.

Currently reading "The Lost Battalion" about a group of American soldiers during WWI and their courageous stand against overwhelming odds. What can I say, I'm in a military history mood right now.

Ooooh, another military book fan. I'm following your posts...

I just finished Firefly Lane by Kristina Hannah. I know it has been discussed on here before so I don't want to go into detail.

But I enjoyed it, I stayed up all night and it made me cry for hours and hours!

I believe that Kristin Hannah is one of my new favorite authors. I loaned out Firefly Lane and can't find it. I'm going to have to rebuy it. But, I am definitely going to purchase some of her older books that I haven't read.

I tend to read by authors more than subject matter. I am definitely a fiction reader, though. I am reading through my Barnes and Noble bargain books right now. Some are interesting. Some not so much.

Just downloaded "The Ghost" by Robert Harris

It's the book the new movie "Ghost Writer" is based on. I've been seeing the trailers recently and it looks to be a very suspenseful movie. Hopefully the book is as good as they appear.

I am so bummed. Work is paying for me to further my RN license and it has put a major crimp into my reading time.

I'm reading the Memory keeper's daughter, Very good book so far.

I noticed i seem to not like the books they have in the YA area anymore (is that one or two words?)

I just finished Thirteen Reasons Why. It was a quick read. Makes you think. It was a sad subject to read about (teen suicide). The idea of the book was interesting...just not sure if it's a book I'd reread. Next up-Dear John.

Thirteen reasons why was very popular at the high schools last year.

Sierra, it is one word. ;)

I'm spending this snow day in bed reading books. I'm on the fifth Janet Evanovich novel and then am moving onto the true story behind the Sound of Music film. I'm excited about this! :)

I am currently reading fluff kind of stuff...

I recently finished Chasing Harry Winston by Lauren Weisburger. She also wrote The Devil Wears Prada. Chasing Harry Winston was alright...it was just hard for me to get into for some reason.

I am currently reading Certain Girls by Jennifer Weiner. This book is a sequel to another of her books called Good in bed. I didn't realize that she had written another book with the same characters! Those are my favorite kinds of books. When I find a good book that features stories and characters that I like, it makes me sad to see the story end. I want to know what happens next...so I find that I am drawn to books that are part of a series.

Some of my past favorites are the entire Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella, and of course, the Twilight series and Harry Potter.

Next on my list are the Sookie Stackhouse books...

I know what you mean about series books and wanting more of the characters. That's one of the things I love about a book club is talking about the characters kind of keeping them vivid and real. Anyway Marian Keyes has a series about sisters. It was difficult to get into my first choice (took me 5 years to read- put it down and then picked it up when I couldn't find anything else)Rachels Holiday. I can't remember which one comes first, but there is Watermelon, angels, and I forget the other 2 I think. If you are reading a jacket of a book look for the Walsh sisters.
Happy reading.

I am in the middle of "The Power of Half" by the Salwen family - it's about a family who sold their home and spent half of the profits towards helping villagers in Africa become self-sufficient. Very inspiring!

I am in the middle of "The Power of Half" by the Salwen family - it's about a family who sold their home and spent half of the profits towards helping villagers in Africa become self-sufficient. Very inspiring!

I saw a segment on t.v. not too long ago about them. Very inspiring story-I didn't know that a book had been written about them.
Thanks for the heads up on that :thumbsup2

Just finished reading Born to Run by Christoper Mcdougall. It's a non-fiction about a population of native people who live in the Copper Canyon area of Mexico who have a crazy ability to run ultra-distance races in high heat, virtually barefoot. They are called the Tarahumara and the author calls them "a near-mythical tribe of Stone Age superathletes". The book talks about ultra-running, the native people of Mexico, and the whole idea that humans evolved to run and how we'd be better off doing it barefoot instead of in Nikes.

It's good, but probably not something that would thrill non-runners,although I found it a fascinating book and very easy to read.

Next up is the novel Little Bee by Chris Cleve. This was recommended to me by one of the podcasts I listen to and they didn't divulge any information about the story. Even at the Amazon page it won't cough up any info on the book, instead it says (and the caps are as it appears on Amazon): WE DON'T WANT TO TELL YOU TOO MUCH ABOUT THIS BOOK

I recently finished Firefly Lane and I have to say, I was not a fan. I like chick-lit and the basic story was OK but all I could think of, from about half way through, was that she really needed a good editor. I agree with a previous poster that said it was a lot like Best Friends Forever but I like BFF much better than Firefly Lane, which was the opposite reaction of that other person. It's funny how books hit everyone differently.

Just downloaded "The Ghost" by Robert Harris

It's the book the new movie "Ghost Writer" is based on. I've been seeing the trailers recently and it looks to be a very suspenseful movie. Hopefully the book is as good as they appear.

Read it. It was pretty good. I've enjoyed some of his other books, too.

Requested a sample of You say tomato, I say shut up for the kindle. Looks funny.

Thanks to DISers and this thread I now have the following wishlist. Yes I do like Stephen King. :)

Dean Koontz's Frankenstein: Prodigal Son - Book I
Dean Koontz's Frankenstein: City of Night - Book II by Ed Gorman
Dean Koontz's Frankenstein: Dead and Alive - Book III
Lost City of Z by David Grann
New York by Edward Rutherfurd
Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson
The Monster of Florence by Douglas Preston
The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski
Thunderstruck by Erik Larson
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
Where Have All the Leaders Gone? by Lee Iacocca
Zombies by Eric S. Brown :)

Desperation by Stephen King
It by Stephen King
Just after Sunset by Stephen King
The Dark Tower I: The Gunslinger by Stephen King
The Dark Tower II: The Drawing of the Three by Stephen King
The Dark Tower III: The Waste Lands by Stephen King
The Dark Tower IV: Wizards and Glass by Stephen King
The Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King
The Dark Tower VI: Song of Susannah by Stephen King
The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower by Stephen King

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter