A DISers Book Club!

I also use the library alot. I have troube with my vison and can read but it takes effort so not as fun as it use to be so I order audiobooks online and the library tells me when they are at the library closest to me. The Help was great as an audiobook. The Ken Follett books Pillars of the Earth and World Without End had great narrators also all the Harry Potter books.

Pillars of the Earth is one of the few books I have read and reread. I found it one summer at my grandmothers. I must have been 14 at the time. I just couldn't put it down. I haven't read World Without End yet. I may have to go to the library this weekend and see if its in.

Ok, my two favorite books this summer are: (1) Moloka'i by Alan Brennert (it's about a 6 year old girl in Honolulu that is diagnosed with leprosy and is forced to leave her family and move to the island Molokai which is a leper colony. (2) The Thirteeenth Tale by Diane Setterfield - this one keeps you guessing until the end. I couldn't put either book down!

Pillars of the Earth is one of the few books I have read and reread. I found it one summer at my grandmothers. I must have been 14 at the time. I just couldn't put it down. I haven't read World Without End yet. I may have to go to the library this weekend and see if its in.

I read both of those books by Follett and LOVED them. A must read for anyone asking my opinion. I also love reading Dean Koontz. I know...I like the freaky stories. I am waiting for the 3 book of Frankenstein from him, but my favorite is Life Expectancy. Try it, you'll like it!:woohoo:

I am THISCLOSE to ordering a Kindle; I told myself that I have to finish the pile of books on my nightstand first!

I recommend anything by Jodi Picoult; I just finished 19 Minutes, and have also read My Sister's Keeper, The Pact, Keeping Faith, Vanishing Acts, The Tenth Circle, and Change of Heart.

All of Wally Lamb's books are wonderful: She's Come Undone, I Know This Much Is True, and The Hour I First Believed.

I picked up Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah at a sale and really liked it.

I loved The Story of Edgar Sawtelle...and I read the Twilight books this past winter to see what all the fuss was about. Very easy and entertaining.

This is a great thread; I love finding out about good books!! :goodvibes

I just picked up Devil in the White City today and, after only reading a few pages, I already find myself growing attached to the characters. What a great read so far! Thanks Kevin!

I am THISCLOSE to ordering a Kindle; I told myself that I have to finish the pile of books on my nightstand first!

This is a great thread; I love finding out about good books!! :goodvibes

I am in the exact same place you are! I want a Kindle so bad but I have a huge pile of books to get through and I love going to the library and bookstores!

I love threads like this because it opens up new books to read. I usually go to the LA Festival of Books just so I can go to the author lectures to find new authors to read.

I am finishing up a David Baldacci book, The Collectors, (nothing too exciting but entertaining) now and then I'm going to read Peter and the Starcatchers...I just bought The Time Traveler's Wife this weekend but I have been promising DBF's 15 yo DD that I'd read Peter so that is next.

This is a fun thread - thanks for starting it!

I'm currently reading "Killer Weekend" by Ridley Pearson the first in a series of books. Next to read is "Killer View" and the new one just published is "Killer Summer" - basic mysteries

I just read Killer Summer. I didnt realize it was part of a series.

I didnt care for his writing style.

I thought he took for granted that I knew the characters personalities well enough to not fill in details.

Now that I see it is the third in a series.....maybe the faultt was mine and not his.

Just wasnt crazy about it. Decent....not great.

I think I actually mourned when I finished POTE and WWE.

I loved the characters in these books and missed them when I finished.

I have both on my Kindle and will re-read them.

Probably two of my favorite books of all time.

I also truly, truly truly loved The Hotel New Hampshire by John Irving.

Another great book is The Eight by Katherine Nevile. It can be a bit hard to find....but it's an awesome book. I used to manage a bookstore many years ago. When this book first came out....I hade a freebie copy. I liked it so much, I sold it with a money back guarantee. If you didnt like it....I'd give you the full proce back. Never had anyone return the book.

Well, I started to pick up books again after a 3 year hiatus of being a full time student and having a full time job. I found myself getting absorbed in stories even more than I had before!

So far this summer I have read:

Plum Spooky and FingerLickin' Fifteen by Janet Evanovich
I got started on this series years ago and it is one of the very few book series I was able to find the time to keep reading in my busy schedule. I love her books and they always make me :rotfl:

Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, and Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer
I picked up Twilight from my local library on a Monday after work when I knew I would have lots of spare time and would need a nice long book. Little did I know I would love it and finish the entire series in one week :scared1: That was the fastest I have ever read that many pages (2400 pages in 6 days)

On my bookshelf:
I have a rather large pile of books that were purchased with good intentions of reading in the past few months. Up next are

Cocktails for Three and The Gatecrasher by Madeline Wickham (aka Sophia Kinsella)
Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella
and
Love the One You're With by Emily Giffin (Although I might have to re-read the others in the series since I don't really remember them - it's been too long!)

I am so happy to be reading again. I am definetly taking some of the suggestions given here and will be heading to my local library again on my next day off.

Anyone read The Art of RAcing in the Rain, Garth Stein? Sounds really interesting and creative:)

LOVE this thread!!!

I use my kindle, the library and STILL buy books, too! I just rotate! :goodvibes

So, my most recent books were
- The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe (very good)
- Do You Promise Not To Tell by Mary Jane Clark (just alright, although that could be because it was one of her earlier novels)
- Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella, which I absolutely LOVED!!! I love all of Sophie's books, but this one particularly touched me. It was different from her other efforts, and involved the main character's 105 year old great aunt who recently passed away. Having just lost my Grandma, who was a teen during the twenties, there was so much of her I saw in this book. I was truly sad to finish it. I actually got this one from the library, but will be heading to my Barnes & Noble to purchase a copy to keep.

Also, for those of you who can't seem to keep track of books you've already read (which is a big problem for me!), I found a great site called goodreads.com Once you register, you can keep track (& rate) all the books you've read, want to read or are currently reading. It's a BIG help for me, since I have a tendency to (inadvertantly) start reading books I've already read! :rolleyes1

I must say after watching Season One True Blood, I went back and read the first Charlene Harris book in the series.

Glad to see I'm not the only person reading the Sookie books. A friend got me hooked on them a few months ago, and I devoured all nine, then started watching True Blood on dvd, and am honestly thinking about going back and re-reading the books, in case I missed some details.

Just off the top of my head let me add my favorites.

Anything by Michael Chrichton. I just finished Next and it really makes you think. The main theme of the book is genetics and what is happening right now and what could (very feasably) occur.

For dog lovers (and be prepare to cry) I recommend Merle's Door- lessons from a free thinking dog by Ted Kerasote.

For what I call lite/fluff reading I enjoy Katie MacAllister. She has some paranormal series and other fictional stories. For a laugh out loud read I loved The Corset Diaries.

And a sidenote to Kevin.. I mourn when I finish a great book too. I feel like I'm in a funk when I don't get to read 'more'. I also found this especially true for POE and WWAE.

So many books ... So little time.

I'm reading The Twilight Series, it a good summer read. My friend passes along her books when she done with them, so we're having fun talking about vampires! I never thought I would say that. I was reluctant to read the series, but everyone told me to give it a try. I'm glad I did.

I just started The List, thanks Kevin. I have the Kindle App on my iTouch. I just started it last night and I'm enjoying it.

I heard so much about Pillars of The Earth, so I think I'm going to add it to my list.

My ds(15) has to read for school - The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon and The Grapes of Wrath. He really liked the first one, but he's struggling with The Grapes of Wrath, he's just not into it. He also has two writing assignments for each book!

Whoo Hoo! :cool1: I am very excited! I just ordered Loretta Mason Potts by Mary Chase on Amazon!

This was my faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaavorite book when I was young. Well, this and Harriet the Spy. It is out of print and I've been looking for it forever. I have found on it on Albiris and some other rare books sites, but it was very expensive, $80-$100. Then it showed up on Amazon for $25 but it was always out of stock, I just checked this morning and they have two in stock, so I finally ordered a copy! I'm so excited. It's a wonderful story, Loretta finds a portal to another world where she is a princess in the back of a closet. Similiar sort of, but not really at all to Narnia. I cannot wait to re-read it myself and then give it to my niece to read. Anybody else remember Loretta Mason Potts?

Just to put something in here too, if anyone has a teenager, "Thirteen Reasons Why" is a GREEEEATTT book. I'm thirty one and I read it and loved it. It's about a boy who gets 13 tapes from a girl at his school who has committed suicide. Each tape is one of the "reasons" why (but it's actually for one of the people who has done something to her). It's a hard subject, but I think all teens should read it so they understand that even the smallest things have consequences to people.

Has anyone ever read Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series? They are very quirky, but an excellent escape. I just loved them. Thursday is a special ops literary "police woman" with the ability to go to the "book world" where the characters live when they are not being read. They are really fun reads, especially if you are like me and always secretly suspected there really is a whole other world where characters from books live.

Love hearing what everyone is reading. I am kind of in between here. I don't want anything that takes concentration so I am reading what I call my nonsense books - Nora Roberts (she lives not too far from me) the Stephanie Plum series, catching up.

I am really intersted in recommendations for 14 year old soon to be 15 years old girls. She loves Harry Potter, Twighlt, Little House, Clique, etc. I can't convince her just to grab books at the library that look interesting. No money lost if you decide you don't like the story.

Do you think she is too young for Jodi Picoult. She wants to read My Sister's Keeper. I find her books good but hard reading. They really touch you.

Do you think she is too young for Jodi Picoult. She wants to read My Sister's Keeper. I find her books good but hard reading. They really touch you.

I think she would be fine with them. My daughter is 13 and she has read a few of her books (My sister's Keeper, Handle With Care, probably others as well) and she loves them. I am pretty sure she told me that Jodi Picoult is her new favorite author.

Has anyone ever read Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series? They are very quirky, but an excellent escape. I just loved them. Thursday is a special ops literary "police woman" with the ability to go to the "book world" where the characters live when they are not being read. They are really fun reads, especially if you are like me and always secretly suspected there really is a whole other world where characters from books live.

I have read the 4th bear and I thought it was pretty good..very unique. I want to check out more of his books.

I am really intersted in recommendations for 14 year old soon to be 15 years old girls. She loves Harry Potter, Twighlt, Little House, Clique, etc. I can't convince her just to grab books at the library that look interesting. No money lost if you decide you don't like the story.

Has she read Inkheart ? Or The Alchemist {Secrets of Nicholas Flamel} by Michael Scott ? I thought they were both pretty good and both are series.

Fiished The List last night.

I enjoyed this one.

Cant decide whether to start The Help or Water for Elephants.

I loved Water for Elephants...couldn't put it down.

I have just finished reading Lamb by Christopher Moore. It is now one of my favorite books ever. Absolutely hilarious, in my opinion anyhow. I am just starting 1776 by David McCullough. Seems interesting so far but I am not far into it yet.

I am reading my first Christopher Lamb book right now. You suck :thumbsup2 It was been really good...love his humor. We have an awesome used book store close by and I am going to check for more of his books...any recommendations for which one to read of his next ?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter