A DISers Book Club!

This is a GREAT idea except for one thing...
My Kindle arrives TOMORROW!! Somebody take the credit card! Please!

Seriously, though, I love the idea. I'll let you know which book goes on my 'virgin' Kindle. :goodvibes

For fluff reading, I really like your basic murder mysteries - everything Jeffery Deaver has ever written. My favorite author of all time is Richard Brautigan, my favorite book (his) is In Watermelon Sugar. I'm sure no one has read it. My high school literature teacher had me read it (back in the 70's). It was amazing to me back in the day to read a book that was all symbolism, and I had to figure out what I thought it meant. I'm quite the literalist, so it was as mind-expanding as acid (also popular back in those days, LOL!).

I finished "The Help" a couple of weeks ago, I loved it!
Read a few Jen Lancaster Books, The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnely and now am reading Home Safe by Elizabeth Berg(one of my favorite authors).

After that I have Thank You for All Things by Sandra Kring, A Thread of Truth by Marie Bostwick and The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe in my TBR pile.

The past few months, I have been reading books that I missed when I was a kid and too ADD to sit and read a book. I have read the His Dark Materials series as well as Madeline L'Engle's Time Quintet in the span of a month or two. With all things being equal, it was a given I would like L'Engle better, and that was what happened.

Anyway, I'm shifting back to adult fare now. I just bought The Cider House Rules by John Irving. After that, I want to either re-read A Prayer for Owen Meany, or read In Cold Blood. John Irving is a favorite, but I don't want to burn out.

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larson - This is a world wide phenomenon. Best seller almost everywhere.

Look for
The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larson, just published July 28.

Yes, available for Kindle!

From Amazon.com
Review
'The Girl Who Played with Fire is that rare thing - a sequel that is even better than the book that went before... it is to be read in great hungry chunks' Observer. 'It is rare to find a thriller in which the female characters are allowed so much space to be. Lisbeth Salander really is a wonderful creation' Scotsman. 'Astonishing novels... Larsson came up with an entirely new kind of heroine for the crime story... as with Larsson's first novel, this is wonderful stuff' Daily Express. 'A year ago, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo won ecstatic praise from British critics and readers. Now its successor, The Girl who Played with Fire, has outsold the likes of Patricia Cornwell and James Patterson - once more, another figure seizes the book by the scruff of its neck and binds the reader in fetters of fascination' Independent. 'As with the first book, this complex novel is not just a thrilling read, but tackles head-on the kind of issues that Larsson himself railed against in society, such as endemic establishment corruption and the exploitation of women' Daily Mail. 'In her (Salander) Larsson has created a heroine unique to detective fiction. Where else can you find a bisexual female detective with punk-era fashion sense who just happens to be an expert computer hacker?' Independent.

This thread has definitely inspired me to go to Borders. :)

Go to your local library. So many great books to read! So many great books you willnot have to read and store!

BTW - Jonathan Dichter on All About the Mouse podcast has recently re-discovered his library card and is loving his public library.

BTW - Jonathan Dichter on All About the Mouse podcast has recently re-discovered his library card and is loving his public library.

Lyn, how many titles does your library carry in LARGE PRINT?

With my recent eye surgery, I need large print and find them difficult to locate. Some titles are not even available in large print,

Yea, more Jaime and Claire:cool1: not to mention Brianna and Roger. I love this series. Julie, you really need to read the Outlander series--great fictional characters in historically acurate settings from the 1745 Jacobite Rising to the American Revolution.

Lyn, how many titles does your library carry in LARGE PRINT?

With my recent eye surgery, I need large print and find them difficult to locate. Some titles are not even available in large print,

Aaaahhhh, Kevin. This came up in chat a while ago.

For you, Kevin, I am so the Kindle with variable fonts is available for you. I have a friend who is blind and listens to websites that have been developed to proper standards. I am thrilled that technology makes things available to everyone.

For the rest, as a public librarian, I just have to push libraries!

As for your question - My library is a small one in a small town. We have a total collection of about 22,000 items. My guess, without looking at my statistics at work, is that we have 300 books in large print, mostly fiction.

We get a rotating collection of large print books from the state library, twenty books every two week that we keep for two months. This broadens the collection at no cost.

We have some avid readers who need large print. We can get them just about any title they want from other libraries in the state through inter-library loan. No cost to the patron, but they will have to wait a few days for the book to arrive.

I am fully aware that in addition to young people such as yourself who need large print, the population in aging and will naturally desire larger print. We have a greater amount of shelf space for large print books planned for the library's expansion, due to be completed December this year. (this is why I might not make it to Disapalooza)

My real wish is that publishers would produce all books with slightly larger print than they do now.
I also wish that the library discount for regular and large print books were the same. Our discount for regualar books is 44% off list price. Large print books often have a higher list price and little or no discount.

Keep on reading, however you do it.
And don't forget audiobooks - it is great to have someone read to you!

Have you posted on the All About The Mouse discussion forums regarding the reading being done by Disers?

I haven't posted a reply here yet (partially because Kevin replied and I didn't want him to say that I'm a stalker again), but wanted to say that the large print materials in our library headquarters is both painfully dated and virtually non-existent. In schools, it's even worse. I love the fact that we can get audio versions of books for our special education students. It really makes a difference assisting with their special needs.

As far as what I am reading right now, I just started Jane Green's Beach House. I'm not very far into it as I coming down off of a chunk of time reading Janet Evanovich night and day. I read the first three books and they got better each time. I can't wait to get into the fourth, but bought a few books earlier in the summer and really need to get to them first.

I forgot to add earlier that I did pick up Julie and Julia today at my local bookstore. I remember being blown away by Julia Child when I was a kid. I love her accent. :lovestruc I have a few books in line before I can get to it, but I will have it finished before I see the movie.

Have you posted on the All About The Mouse discussion forums regarding the reading being done by Disers?

Oh, Kevin!

I listen to lots of podcasts (not all are Disney).
But Disboards are my ONLY discussion forums!

Just thought it was great that the same day I listen to AATM and hear Jonathan talk about his favorite books, I come to thte DIS and find a book club.

I think maybe Jonathan was only going to talk about Disney books.
The DIS book club is going to be more all-encompassing, I can tell already it is going to be fantastic!

My favorite books are non-fiction. Nothing beats real life. Example - Devil in the White City and Isaac's Storn. Into the Wild. Three Cups of Tea. Anthony Bourdain's food books.

The night before Mom's memorial service, I returned her library books. Over two dozen books, all non-fiction on a wide variety of topics. Like mother, like daughter.

I am so excited to see some many posts and so many great reviews of books i might have never given a second glance at my local book store! :thumbsup2.

It is also cool to see a few people that enjoy Anthony Bourdain's books as much as I do. I am taking my time with his last work of non fiction, The Nasty Bits, because I have become so attached to his style of writing. Has anyone read his works of fiction? I believe they are titled "Gone Bamboo" and "Bone in Throat"

I was just at this store in martha's vineyard that carries a bunch of nic-naks and a few books, and I came across a thin book of poetry entitled "Natural History". The pieces are written by Dan Chiasson, a poet I had never heard of before today, and I was quite pleased with what I read. Perhaps it's the style I am so attracted to, but I would reccommend this book to anyone that has a love for poetry.

Aaaahhhh, Kevin. This came up in chat a while ago.

Keep on reading, however you do it.
And don't forget audiobooks - it is great to have someone read to you!

You cannot believe how wonderful audio books are. I drive most of the time and talk radio makes me crazy. Audio books are such a boon. I live in a very small town, but my library can get me any hard cover or audio book that I want. I feel about libraries how many of my friends feel about shopping. I enter the building and feel the world is at my fingertips.

Isaac's Storn.

Interesting...I never thought I'd run into someone else who'd read that. Windows of Heaven was another book about the 1900 hurricane, but was a fictionalized account. I also really enjoyed Three Cups of Tea.

I'm dying to know what happens in Echo in the Bone, especially since I heard that an important character dies.:scared1:

I have read several good book in the last few years:

The entire Left Behind Series by Jerry B Jenkins & Tim LeHaye there are 16 books total in the series.

Soon Trilogy by Jerry B Jenkins (3 books)

Apocalypse Military Left Behind Series by Mel Odom (4 books)

Left Behind End of State Political Series by Nessa Hart (3 books)

NCIS Series by Mel Odom - (3 Books)

The Last Jihad Series by Joel C Rosenberg (5 books total)

If you are interested in the Current Political state of the Middle East, Joel has a couple of non-fiction books based on his expertise on being a Communications Strategist for Benjamin Netanyahu, Former Israeli Prime Minister and as a consultant to several top government and business leaders.

Epicenter by Joel C Rosenberg

Inside the Revolution by Joel C Rosenberg (this is his newest book, I haven't read it yet but will be reading it soon)

I am currently reading:
Marley & Me by John Grogan
Creating Magic by Lee Cockerell

Listening to (from my library!) Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella - not too far yet, so far its not bad.
Reading on my Kindle app Magic Kingdom for Sale- Sold! by Terry Brooks. Just started it, but I have read the Shannara Series by him and loved them.

I usually stick to mystery or sci-fi, but I have read Return to Summerhouse recently by Jude Deveraux (sequel to the Summerhouse). I really enjoyed both of these books. Not too much romance, more about the story.

Go to your local library. So many great books to read! So many great books you willnot have to read and store!

I totally agree, I was buying books constantly, and my DW suggested that I go to the library, it right around the corner from our house. It with the storage issue. I just recently got back into reading, for a long time I just didn't have the time, I 've started making time, every night after house work and dinner, instead of watching television I find myself reading. Check out your local library it may have what we have here in Delaware, you can reserve what you want online and they will either call you or email when it's in and give you five days to pick it up, I find myself going through 2-3 books a week now.

Thanks to who ever started this thread, really getting some great books to read!!!

I'm currently reading The List by J.A Konrath.

Unfortunately, this is currently only available to folks with a Kindle. It's a self-published book and the author is hoping that good "word of mouth" will help it find an audience.

I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

All queued up and ready to go are...

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larson - This is a world wide phenomenon. Best seller almost everywhere.

Let the Great World Spin by Colum Mccann - About NYC in the 70's

The Doomsday Key by James Rollins

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. This one comes HIGHLY recommended.

I'll let you know.
Time to read??? Who has time to read???

But because I have that Kindle app on my iPhone, I picked up The List today and sneakily started reading it at my day job...I'm several chapters into it and I'm intrigued!

Hope I find time to finish it. Love my Kindle app!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter