A Birthday Trip without a Birthday - 2/16: Conclusion and Bonus Birthday Tea

Discussion in 'Completed Trip Reports' started by Flossbolna, Mar 19, 2011.

1. jenjolt

jenjolt Loves All Things Disney!

What gorgeous pictures!! Thank you for sharing them!!! What a beautiful memory you shared, thank you!!!!

Someday I hope to go to Europe, what a beautiful place!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Poolrat

Poolrat I am alive, sometimes I wonder too.

I thought a little about I Love Lucy and when she was in Europe crossing the border. :laughing: That always facinates me that just a gate and a few steps and you are in a different counrty.

The middle of nowhere on that trail was interesting too. :lmao:

4. nodnol

nodnol DIS Veteran

You are very welcome!

It was! We were actually very happy to stay over two nights and have two meals there, so we could choose more than one starter and main course.

I know exactly what you mean, it is even worse when the events were not happy ones...

It sure is, but this area is actually not very touristy at all, which makes it only better.

Well sometimes it is not only a little step here either, it is only easy once you are inside Europe, or more precise inside the European Union.

5. lovealldisney

lovealldisney Lover of all things Disney!

WOW Katharina thanks for the pictures! You know I love pictures :rolleyes1 I love learning about history. Thanks for sharing. And it's nice to see you posting. Now maybe Magdalene can add some of hers as well??? Just saying.....:rolleyes:

6. Flossbolna

Flossbolna Sea days are just so relaxing!

Katharina, thanks for the wonderful update! :goodvibes Your text really reminded me of the many changes this area has been through in the last 100 years. One tends to only think of the last change from iron curtain to open border, but there is so much more to it in this region! Thanks for the expert's view on it.

7. Captain_Oblivious

Captain_Oblivious DIS Dad #257

Wow...that concept is so foreign to me, it's hard to imagine what it was like in the days of the Cold War. Thank you so much for sharing this little trip!

By the way, what was it like in Nowhere? Did you start to turn into a ghost? :rotfl:

8. IBelieveInTheMagic

IBelieveInTheMagic DIS Veteran

Hi! :cheer2: Better late than never! I was excited to see your PTR link in Brook's TR! :)

I'm glad you have the resort lined up and now the airline and ADR's!! YAHOO!!! It's cool you and Katharina can meet up perfectly before heading over to MCO! I love the Airbus'!

It's so stinkin' exciting getting the ADR's you want, isn't it? :banana: Sorry to hear you had little bit of technical drama but glad it all worked out. Very nice choices.

Don't worry too terribly much about the hurricane season. They are so unpredictable ahead of time and I know you guys will monitor the situation. This past weekend we had major storms come through our state and 24 people were killed and there were over 62 tornadoes - you just never know! :scared1:

Speaking of, for my birthday recently my sister ordered me some goodies from a German speciality store online and guess what they just got in stock? NUERNBERG BRATWURST!! It was authentic and so awesome! She also ordered me some Mezzo Mix, gummies, and a few other treats! :love:

Heather

9. glennbo123

glennbo123 DIS Veteran

That is really amazing Katharina! It's incredible to think about the changes that have occurred at the exact spots where you walked, just over a few decades. It looks like a beautiful area.

Don't think I'm stalking you, but I was interested enough to google the restaurant name that appears in the picture and find out a little more about the area since I don't know the geography well enough. It looks like you were about halfway between Nuremberg and Prague.

10. All7OfUs

All7OfUs <font color=darkorchid>We too are so very NOT into

Wonderful pictures and update, Katharina!! Truly a lovely place you got to visit again. I can really sense your sense of nostalgia in going back. The stories that must have come out of the people must be incredible- full of heartache, and eventual joy! AMazing times we live in, and have seen.

Thanks for your insights!

11. tiggrbaby

tiggrbaby <font color=deeppink><marquee>We must work harder

12. marvali

marvali DIS Veteran

Happy Easter to Magdalene and Katharina!!!!

13. podsnel

podsnel <font color=blue>just skippin' around, amusing mys

I always love it when you both share your life in Germany with us- thank-you so much, Katherina!!!:goodvibes Fascinating!!!

14. englishrose47

englishrose47 DIS Veteran

I totally agree !!! We have no idea what it was like and I soooo appreciate all the insights !!:cloud9:

15. All7OfUs

All7OfUs <font color=darkorchid>We too are so very NOT into

Just came by to wish you a very happy Easter, Ladies!!!! Hope your day was wonderful!

16. Flossbolna

Hi everyone! I hope all of you had a wonderful Easter! Mine is just about to end, Easter Monday is a public holiday here as well, so I am just enjoying the last few hours of my wonderful 4-day weekend (Good Friday was a public holiday as well).

But the purpose of this post is actually to give you some more pictures to look at. We have now entered Disneyland Park and are on Main Street. This first Main Street installment will have all outdoor pictures (taking over several days), in the next installment we will move into shops and other spaces.

You will notice that a lot of the buildings are very similar to WDW, that was the model that they followed. However there are a few buildings that are unique like the car dealer. Also DLP had the original Casey's (not selling corn dogs though), the one at WDW is a copy. Another difference is that there isn't a flag pole, but a gazebo. The design is less "patriotic" and more about "Americana" since obviously that was more relevant for an European audience. Originally Main Street in Paris was planned not to be Victorian, but set in the 20s as this was a period which was considered to matter more for the Europeans. After all Victorian is still mainly a copy of old world design elements, while in the 20s America moved on to its own style. If anyone is interested what could have been, the Disney and More blog has a wonderful article about it here. I think I would have loved this idea! Even though I know at least one reader of this PTR is pretty happy that it did end up with the Victorian design. :goodvibes

So, once again the pictures are in a slideshow to be viewed here and the password is still Flossbolna (case sensitiv!). Enjoy! And of course I will be happy to answer any questions!

17. dekkerdisneydreamer

dekkerdisneydreamer Raising Disneyholics one at a time!

Wonderful pictures! Is it me, or do the buildings appear to be much taller on main street in DLP than in WDW?:confused3 Especially the picture of the gentlemen standing against one of the columns? They look extremely tall.

Pretty cool about the car dealer actually selling cars on main street.:thumbsup2

18. lovealldisney

lovealldisney Lover of all things Disney!

I wonder who that could be? :confused3:rolleyes1

I hope you had a wonderful Easter holiday and enjoyed your time off!

I loved all the photos! But I have a question. There are two building that are flying the American flag on top. Why is that? Shouldn't they be flying the French flag since DLP is in France?

PS: on a side note DD is going mad with planning YFU stuff! She has been reading up on it alot and well something must have clicked because she's been like a mad women brainstorming! Thought you'd like to know. ;)

19. Flossbolna

Ah yes, the dairy-egg confusion at the Gardenview Tea Room! :rotfl:

I like the emails, but I have these strange memories that last year I was able to get all my reservations mailed to me in one email, but this time I only get single emails.

Hallo Simone! Middle East sounds interesting, but at the moment like a place that might easily be way too interesting. I hope you are safe!

I know what you mean about DVC, it is a long term commitment to pay the annual dues and as Europeans we also have to be aware of the currency exchange rate risk. I am lucky that my job is very secure (I am a civil servant) and I only have a very small contract, so the dues aren't too bad every year.

Don't worry, I am playing catch up at other people's reports all the time as well! :goodvibes 'Ohana should be a great meal, especially because it looks like Katharina might be able to eat all the food there - just not the dessert. Perhaps they can get her some pineapple with caramel dipping sauce. That's what was served in 2004. :goodvibes

Looks like there is quite a bunch of DISers there at the same time! I guess from your ticker that you are staying at AKV? Wonderful place!! :cloud9: If you are up for it, we should check wether we are going to be at the same places at the same time to meet up. :goodvibes

20. Flossbolna

Sounds wonderful! I am very much looking forward to this! :thumbsup2

I am very pleased with our ADRs as well - and looking forward to all of them. :banana:

Guten Tag Rosie! I am impressed with you as well! :yay:

21. Flossbolna

Hi everyone, I will let Katharina answer all the posts regarding her update, but since Wendy asked:

I did not take my camera... But I did make sure that a lot of food pictures were taken with my father's camera. Supposedly they turned out very well and I just need to get over to their place with my USB-stick to get them... My father took also a few pictures from the walk, so I will post some more soon (I hope!).

Thank you! I hope you had a great Easter weekend as well. :goodvibes

Thanks Marvin!! I hope you had a happy Easter with your family, too! :thumbsup2