906 point listing for VWL!

Wow I just saw a 1313 point VGF contract hit the market today too. If anyone has $200,000 laying around a fixed week in December at a grand villas can be yours for the low, low price of an ENTIRE HOUSE ;)

Hysterical!!

Once the money tree blooms I'll be putting in an offer...

I was just contemplating the 1313 points at VGF but I see they can't close until Spring of 2017. Oh well.

This is really just because I am curious, I can't afford 1000 points.. :) However, is there really any benefit of buying say, one 1000 point contract vs maybe 5 200 point contracts. I would think a savvy buyer who had that kind of money would buy numerous smaller contracts originally, if only because of the ability to divest yourself of them in the future. Unless maybe back in they day Disney gave "volume discounts?"

This is really just because I am curious, I can't afford 1000 points.. :) However, is there really any benefit of buying say, one 1000 point contract vs maybe 5 200 point contracts. I would think a savvy buyer who had that kind of money would buy numerous smaller contracts originally, if only because of the ability to divest yourself of them in the future. Unless maybe back in they day Disney gave "volume discounts?"
The 1313 point contract has a rare fixed week at Christmas in a VGF Grand Villa attached. But unless I happened to value the fixed week, I would much prefer 5 200 point contracts. If you needed 1000 points, it might take some time to assemble 5 contracts in your use year through resale, though. This lets you get it in one shot. But, buying Direct, I would split it up, unless I was getting a fixed week.

The 1313 point contract has a rare fixed week at Christmas in a VGF Grand Villa attached. But unless I happened to value the fixed week, I would much prefer 5 200 point contracts. If you needed 1000 points, it might take some time to assemble 5 contracts in your use year through resale, though. This lets you get it in one shot. But, buying Direct, I would split it up, unless I was getting a fixed week.

Did a search of the OCC -- there's one family that purchased around 2600 points in two contracts so they could vacation for 2 weeks (week 30 and 31) in the Grand Villa at VGF. Based on my limited research -- it appears to be a member of a royal family.

took a little while -- but I found the contract. Purchased June 2013 -- so they kept it about 3 years before listing it for sale.

Assuming it was $150 a point back then, they paid around $200,000 for that contract -- and they've already had to pay about $30,000 for the MFs so far. I'm guessing they'll be lucky to sell it for $175,000, which means those three weeks are going to have cost them about $55,000. EEEK!

And obviously so valued that they are now selling it just a few years later!

It is definitely a downfall of the fixed weeks for the larger villas that it couldn't be split up. I haven't followed the availability for the Christmas week but I bet they could have bought numerous small contracts and been able to book that GV without any issues at all. And now they have a very limited pool of potential buyers to sell to. And it's not even the lowest price per point listing for VGF.

And obviously so valued that they are now selling it just a few years later!

It is definitely a downfall of the fixed weeks for the larger villas that it couldn't be split up. I haven't followed the availability for the Christmas week but I bet they could have bought numerous small contracts and been able to book that GV without any issues at all. And now they have a very limited pool of potential buyers to sell to. And it's not even the lowest price per point listing for VGF.

Based on my searches -- most of the week long fixed weeks for the Grand Villas were in the summer months.

anyone know why they had to buy 1313 points to get week 51 fixed? It looks like that week should only require around 1030 points. Having to pay a 30% premium to get a fixed week seems steep.

Based on my searches -- most of the week long fixed weeks for the Grand Villas were in the summer months.

anyone know why they had to buy 1313 points to get week 51 fixed? It looks like that week should only require around 1030 points. Having to pay a 30% premium to get a fixed week seems steep.

Since the week is fixed but the dates and thus season aren't they did some kind of averaging. I'd guess that some years that week has a lot of nights in the Premier seasons and some years more choice season dates. Then the 10% on top.

Here's a link to a DVCNews article on the fixed weeks and the point charts for the weeks. http://dvcnews.com/index.php/resort.../2295-grand-floridian-guaranteed-week-details

Only weeks 15 and 16 required more points than week 51.

Besides the fixed week option, it could be cheaper than multiple smaller contracts. If one could get it at a significant discount and that number made sense otherwise, I think it's reasonable to proceed for the right person. Compared to say 6 separate contracts it should be maybe $15K cheaper at $10 a point plus the extra closings. IMO it'd need to be at least that even if the number of points made sense otherwise.

It could be argued that for someone out there that there would be some interest if the price per point went low enough - but if if went low wouldn't Disney just jump in and buy it and split it into multiple contracts?

It could be argued that for someone out there that there would be some interest if the price per point went low enough - but if if went low wouldn't Disney just jump in and buy it and split it into multiple contracts?

My guess is that it would have to get below $120 pp before Disney took it.

My guess is that it would have to get below $120 pp before Disney took it.

That makes sense. I can't see a purchaser buying this many points above $120 pp, but then again the original buyer did.

We started on DVC the opposite way, purchasing a 25 point contract to get a couple off-season nights per year and try it out. We were hooked after that and have since purchased more - but can't ever imagine gathering 1000+ points and having $5000+ in fees every year.

If you can afford that, why not just buy direct and save yourself the hassle of a resale?

Because if one wants either VGF or VWL Disney won't have that many points to sell to a direct buyer - unless they happened to ROFR these contracts. :D

took a little while -- but I found the contract. Purchased June 2013 -- so they kept it about 3 years before listing it for sale.

Assuming it was $150 a point back then, they paid around $200,000 for that contract -- and they've already had to pay about $30,000 for the MFs so far. I'm guessing they'll be lucky to sell it for $175,000, which means those three weeks are going to have cost them about $55,000. EEEK!
I would subtract from the $55,000 the value of three weeks in a GV at Christmas. These don't come up for sale at rack rates very often, but if you figure it is worth two 2-bedrooms, I would calculate $4000 per night, which for 21 days would be $84,000, so they have more than broken even.

I would subtract from the $55,000 the value of three weeks in a GV at Christmas. These don't come up for sale at rack rates very often, but if you figure it is worth two 2-bedrooms, I would calculate $4000 per night, which for 21 days would be $84,000, so they have more than broken even.
true

Just for grins - the 1303 points would let you stay at SSR for about 10 weeks from September to December

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter