• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

8th grader arrested,suspended for NRA tshirt

Hunting, self-defense, marksmanship? Should they ban cars on shirts, too? They can certainly be used "violent[ly]". I may be naive, but I can't imagine a teen in ms being "influenced" by a t-shirt image of an object, based on how much of the darker side of society they are bombarded with on a daily basis.

More people are killed with hammers than hunting rifles. Better watch out for those hammers too!

I have no problem with hunting but implying that these animals are not killed in a violent manner is incorrect to me. I don't care if people hunt but I don't want the NRA or other groups pushing their political agendas at schools. That has nothing to do with cars unless cars start to be used to purposely kill others and a political group is formed associated with that act. I know that it happens but that isn't a car's primary function.

I have no problem with hunting but implying that these animals are not killed in a violent manner is incorrect to me. I don't care if people hunt but I don't want the NRA or other groups pushing their political agendas at schools. That has nothing to do with cars unless cars start to be used to purposely kill others and a political group is formed associated with that act. I know that it happens but that isn't a car's primary function.

I get what you're saying, but there is some irony in knowing that the teacher very well could have been pushing his or her agenda on the student here. Additionally, while the political arm of the NRA gets 99% of the press, it's really only one part of what they do (though obviously that's the part of NRA on which this shirt focused).

Lol, all meat comes from somewhere. I'd object more to a mcdoanlds tshirt than a hunting shirt. :). I also don't have a problem with kids wearing what they want within guidelines. There isn't anything wrong with being exposed to people who think differently about life. It amazes me how fearful people are of other ideas. It isn't as though kid are ONLY about being educated while at school. They interact. Hey talk. And wv kids talk about hunting. Texas kids just believe in giant cattle factories for their meat, I suppose.

Wow! So many are saying that the kid should not be arrested. An 8th grader is either 13 or 14 years old and should to exercise better judgement. Sounds like this kid was coached at home on how to respond to authority if challenged on the disruptive t-shirt.

What's ironic is that a few years back, a 6 year old girl who was disruptive in a classroom was handcuffed and arrested. Bet some of the pro-gun supporters here saw no problem with this just like O'Reilly on Fox who defended the cops and school administration for having arrested the little girl instead of acting like adults and just wrapping arms around her to calm her down.

6 years old vs 13 or 14 :confused3

Wow! So many are saying that the kid should not be arrested. An 8th grader is either 13 or 14 years old and should to exercise better judgement. Sounds like this kid was coached at home on how to respond to authority if challenged on the disruptive t-shirt.

What's ironic is that a few years back, a 6 year old girl who was disruptive in a classroom was handcuffed and arrested. Bet some of the pro-gun supporters here saw no problem with this just like O'Reilly on Fox who defended the cops and school administration for having arrested the little girl instead of acting like adults and just wrapping arms around her to calm her down.

If I remember correctly the 6yo was destroying property and threw something and injured the principal, huge difference from wearing a T-shirt

Huh? Not sure I understand your statement: "a political group is formed associated with that act", if by "act" you are referencing your previous comment "used to purposely kill others." Don't believe the NRA advocates murder, AFAIK. Also, don't believe the NRA is designated a "political group", since they are championed by members of both parties.

I don't have a problem with arresting anyone who needs to be arrested. We haven't heard one word that this kid was in any way violent or even belligerant. And the fact he was back at school today and hasn't been charged with any kind of crime any of us have ever heard of leads me to believe it wasn't such a big deal.

If I remember correctly the 6yo was destroying property and threw something and injured the principal, huge difference from wearing a T-shirt

Except many of us suspect that the accused perpetrator in this case was doing much more than just wearing a T-shirt and doubt he was an innocent party in this case. If this kid was arrested in what is already a gun-friendly part of the country, I suspect he was acting like a total punk and not just wearing a T-shirt. So why outrage on his behalf when there was none for the child who was much younger?

Huh? Not sure I understand your statement: "a political group is formed associated with that act", if by "act" you are referencing your previous comment "used to purposely kill others." Don't believe the NRA advocates murder, AFAIK. Also, don't believe the NRA is designated a "political group", since they are championed by members of both parties.

The NRA is a registered political lobbying group, so they are, by definition, a political group. A political group is not the same as a political party. As to whether they advocate murder, I'll merely say that I feel that at best they aid and abet the murder of many people every day through their lobbying efforts.

Lol, all meat comes from somewhere. I'd object more to a mcdoanlds tshirt than a hunting shirt. :). I also don't have a problem with kids wearing what they want within guidelines. There isn't anything wrong with being exposed to people who think differently about life. It amazes me how fearful people are of other ideas. It isn't as though kid are ONLY about being educated while at school. They interact. Hey talk. And wv kids talk about hunting. Texas kids just believe in giant cattle factories for their meat, I suppose.
I think that it's quite obvious what most Texas kids believe when it comes to where meat comes from. Shooting an animal is still a violent act no matter what the purpose is. I never said that there weren't other violent acts out there. I personally believe that school is no place for that. Of course YMMV.

By act, I meant the act of shooting to kill whether it's a person, animal or target. Someone compared wearing an NRA shirt with a gun on it to wearing a shirt with a picture of a car. I don't see that as the same at all.

As for the point pertaining to political group I refer more to a group pushing a political agenda. From Dictionary.com:

Main Entry:

political agenda

Definition:

a set of policies or issues to be addressed or pursued by an individual or group; also, a set of underlying motives for political policy

Example:

The interest group had an obvious political agenda.

I do agree with the point made earlier that the NRA does more than push a political agenda. However, that is really the point of the shirt isn't it?

I don't have a problem with arresting anyone who needs to be arrested. We haven't heard one word that this kid was in any way violent or even belligerant. And the fact he was back at school today and hasn't been charged with any kind of crime any of us have ever heard of leads me to believe it wasn't such a big deal.

Hasn't been charged, yet. Even if the DA does not file charges, that does not mean there was not probable cause for the arrest. And for the umpteenth time, the only one talking to the media is Daddy reiterating junior's side of the story. And he didn't have to be violent to be arrested, not sure about WV but in Florida there are charges such as "resisting an Officer without violence," disorderly conduct," "disrupting a school function," etc. No violence needed to commit those acts.

Hasn't been charged, yet. Even if the DA does not file charges, that does not mean there was not probable cause for the arrest. And for the umpteenth time, the only one talking to the media is Daddy reiterating junior's side of the story. And he didn't have to be violent to be arrested, not sure about WV but in Florida there are charges such as "resisting an Officer without violence," disorderly conduct," "disrupting a school function," etc. No violence needed to commit those acts.

Lol, resisting arrest for what? For not changing a shirt around. That is good use of a county's time and resources.

And it is his stepdad. The school hasn't said anything because they know they started the whole issue over something ridiculous and not against school policy. I suspect they will in the end drop charges. But that is a guess.

The boy wore a politically incorrect shirt to school. That is the true issue that the school and others refuse to admit. And yes, NRA does have a program for schools, but its a safety program with the heart of the instruction being if you see a gun, don't touch and tell an adult.

Its all about what "side" you're on. This would certainly be a different conversation if the kid had worn a shirt with an image of two men holding hands or kissing and a logo supporting marriage equality... Disregarding authority is only okay if you're on the "right" side of the issue. :rolleyes:

Granny square said:
Lol, resisting arrest for what? For not changing a shirt around. That is good use of a county's time and resources.

And it is his stepdad. The school hasn't said anything because they know they started the whole issue over something ridiculous and not against school policy. I suspect they will in the end drop charges. But that is a guess.

You would be wrong. Any report the school district wrote about his behavior would not be allowed to be published because, as a child, his privacy is protected. His name would have never been known had Daddy not wanted his 15 minutes.

And what difference does it make if its his biological daddy or not? Kind of insulting to step parents to imply they would be any less protective than a biological parent.

I suspect charges will be dropped too, but not because there was no probable cause, but for political expediency. If the DA is an elected office, which they usually are, they will not want to turn this into a gun rights issue regardless of whether the kid's behavior warranted arrest.

I was willing to keep an open mind about this kid's behavior at first. But let me go back to one very important point. He served a ONE day suspension and was back in school wearing his shirt a day later.

Whatever he did - right or wrong - it apparently wasn't a big enough deal to warrant a longer suspension.

Gumbo4x4 said:
I was willing to keep an open mind about this kid's behavior at first. But let me go back to one very important point. He served a ONE day suspension and was back in school wearing his shirt a day later.

Whatever he did - right or wrong - it apparently wasn't a big enough deal to warrant a longer suspension.

Not necessarily, schools have the tendency to capitulate big time when parents thrown media hissy fits and lawyer up.

I highly doubt he was like, "please sir, may I wear my shirt? The Guvnor says its me rights."

Its all about what "side" you're on. This would certainly be a different conversation if the kid had worn a shirt with an image of two men holding hands or kissing and a logo supporting marriage equality... Disregarding authority is only okay if you're on the "right" side of the issue. :rolleyes:

Actually, I only saw recall 2 people advocating disregarding authority. 1 made it clear that's how they felt in general, and the other made it clear that they did NOT approve of the message on the shirt, but still believed in his "right" to wear it.

I for one do not believe in him having a right to wear whatever he wants, but I also do not believe this shirt is in violation of the printed rule. I do support the school's right to update the dress code as they see fit.

As for your example, I think it's really sad that some people think that to be pro gun you are required to be anti gay, or to be pro gay you have to be anti gun, or any other number of really silly notions about two topics that are completely unrelated. And I believe it's an incredibly unfair assumption to believe that anyone who falls on one side of one debate automatically falls on a specific side of the other debate.

Not necessarily, schools have the tendency to capitulate big time when parents thrown media hissy fits and lawyer up.

I highly doubt he was like, "please sir, may I wear my shirt? The Guvnor says its me rights."

I'm not saying the kid did or did not throw a hissy fit - fact is we don't know. But the fact remains if they had a legitimate reason to keep him out of school longer than a day, he'd still be gone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter