8th grader arrested,suspended for NRA tshirt

Because it's death and destruction. Not appropriate for school or Sunday school. It would be prohibited in my district.

You know, I'm just happy when little kids come to Sunday school. I don't expect perfection out of them or their parents. I sort if thought ss was for people who weren't already perfect....

I'd rather a class full of little pirate children than suit and ties. :) one is real and where they are at and one is superficial.

Another article:

http://news.yahoo.com/w-va-student-school-odds-over-nra-t-221912044.html

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) — A West Virginia student was charged with causing a disruption at a middle school when he refused to remove a T-shirt that displayed the National Rifle Association's logo and hunting rifle.

Jared Marcum, 14, said the shirt did not violate Logan Middle School's dress code policy.

"I was surprised. It shocked me that the school didn't know their own dress code and their own policy. I figured they would have known not to call me out on that shirt because there was nothing wrong with it," Marcum said in a telephone interview.

Marcum's stepfather, Allen Lardieri, said the youth was waiting in line in the school cafeteria Thursday when a teacher ordered the eighth-grader to remove the T-shirt or to turn it inside out.

Marcum said was sent to the office where he again refused the order.

"When the police came, I was still talking and telling them that this was wrong, that they cannot do this, it's not against any school policy. The officer, he told me to sit down and be quiet. I said, 'No, I'm exercising my right to free speech.' I said it calmly," he said.

Police charged him with disrupting an educational process and obstructing an officer, he said.

"The only disturbance was caused by the teacher. He raised his voice," he said.

The Associated Press typically does not identify juveniles charged with crimes, but Marcum and his family wanted his name and case known.

A call to the Logan Police Department rang unanswered on Sunday and an automated message said the voice mail system was full.

Lardieri said Marcum wore the shirt during five class periods before he was ordered to remove it.

Logan County Schools' dress code, which is posted on the school system's website, prohibits clothing and accessories that display profanity, violence, discriminatory messages or sexually suggestive phrases. Clothing displaying advertisements for any alcohol, tobacco, or drug product also is prohibited.

Their lawyer, Ben White, said that the T-shirt did not appear to violate any school policy.

"I just don't understand why this teacher reacted the way he did," said White, who said he asked school officials to preserve surveillance video of the cafeteria.

White said he planned to meet Monday with Principal Ernestine Sutherland.

A message left Sunday at a phone listing for an Ernestine Sutherland in Logan wasn't immediately returned.

White said schools can place restrictions on students to prevent disruptions, but can't take away their First Amendment right to free speech.

"If a teacher is telling you to do something that's wrong, I don't think you should follow it. But I also don't think you need to do it in a disrespectful way," he said, adding that he does not think Marcum was disrespectful.

White said he also wants to get the criminal charges dropped.

A hunting rifle? Heck, more people are killed with clubs each year than with hunting rifles. The teacher had their own agenda. If the shirt was against dress code one of the five teachers, or hometown teacher should have said something.

We are talking about wv. Many districts take the whole week of deer gun season off school.

And I'm sure the student's version of the facts as reiterated by his dad and his lawyer are exactly how it happened.

Well, they ARE the only ones talking ;)

But, if they are are telling lies about what time of day this happened, and about what the published policy is, it would be pretty easy to disprove.

Guns portray violence. That shirt is against district policy.

A gun in and of itself doesn't portray violence any more than a car portrays death and destruction. That's why districts that don't want guns on clothing will typically state "no weapons" in their policy.

Gumbo4x4 said:
Well, they ARE the only ones talking ;)

But, if they are are telling lies about what time of day this happened, and about what the published policy is, it would be pretty easy to disprove.

How about just gross exaggerations? We know what the policy says, but even though it doesn't clearly say no clothes with guns on them, if the school feels the shirt is disruptive then the policy allows for that to be banned.

As for the boy being arrested for merely politely declining to change his shirt, my spidey sense tells me there is more to the story

How about just gross exaggerations? We know what the policy says, but even though it doesn't clearly say no clothes with guns on them, if the school feels the shirt is disruptive then the policy allows for that to be banned.

As for the boy being arrested for merely politely declining to change his shirt, my spidey sense tells me there is more to the story

Schools change policies on the fly all the time. I don't have an issue with that, though it does create a sticky situation for the first time it's implemented.

As for the latter, it says right in the article I posted the kid refused to cooperate with the officer.

Gumbo4x4 said:
Schools change policies on the fly all the time. I don't have an issue with that, though it does create a sticky situation for the first time it's implemented.

As for the latter, it says right in the article I posted the kid refused to cooperate with the officer.

Yes. It also says he wasn't being disrespectful and the only person making a disturbance was the teacher. That's what I'm not buying.

Lol, you think?

I have a problem with the original problem. I live in this area and be shirt isn't over the top. :) however when an officer asks you to do something you do it.

Yes. It also says he wasn't being disrespectful and the only person making a disturbance was the teacher. That's what I'm not buying.

Could be. That said we all know that the kid gets sent to the office for failing to comply with the teacher regardless of how respectful the kid was or was not.

Now, if the kid came to school deliberately trying to make a statement with the shirt (as some have alleged) my guess is he also came to school with a plan to keep his cool if confronted.

Gumbo4x4 said:
Could be. That said we all know that the kid gets sent to the office for failing to comply with the teacher regardless of how respectful the kid was or was not.

Now, if the kid came to school deliberately trying to make a statement with the shirt (as some have alleged) my guess is he also came to school with a plan to keep his cool if confronted.

Yes, and no one is better at keeping their cool than a 13 year old boy.

The kid more than likely grabbed the tshirt out of his closet and didn't think a lol about it. Had he gone to "make a statement" he probably would have made sure it was an issue early on. 13 year old boys aren't big on delayed gratification.

According to the yahoo article, the father hadn't even met with the principal yet. Going to the media before he even had the full story is silly.

The dad clearly wants his 15 minutes.

Exactly. Which is why I, as I earlier stated, wish parents would stop using their children for their political statements. From the article you posted, it seems to me like he had prepared the boy on what key arguments to use if the shirt caused an issue.

And this is why I am all for school uniforms. Wear what you want on the weekends, during the school week it's all about the uniform.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter