8 days in the East - Trip Report

Part 2

41F DSC09399.jpg

We walked part-way around Lugard Rd but Disneyland was singing its siren call so we didn’t spend time following the full route but turned back. It does look a nice walk though, especially if you did it early morning or evening.

The Sky Tower viewed from Lugard Rd

43 SkyTower prob should gone up DSC09407.jpg

44 Lugard Rd wak DSC09408.jpg

View over the other side of the island

44B.JPG

44C.JPG

The Peak Gallery was having some major reno’s being done but I think it was still open and we didn’t realise until later we could have gone inside and got up to another viewing veranda there. We just renegotiated the levels inside Sky Tower and found our way to the tram station, through a door cunningly disguised with the sign ‘Staff Only’ on one half. The tram was quieter of course so we got seats this time though not very good ones as we quickly grabbed 3 spare ones before we missed out.

Back in HK we grabbed some take away sandwiches and drinks to keep us going for the trip back to our “bubble”.

Bringing me back to Sunday and the MTR to Sunny Bay and Disneyland. This poster reminded us of the graphic video that was showing on all the station platforms about the hideous dangers that happens if you put your feet on the side of an escalator - illustrated by a child not listening to their Mum - your shoe and foot will end up crunched. We agreed if we were children we would be too terrified to ever ride an escalator again after watching the vid - they breed them tough in Hong Kong!

45 poster part vid ad amused us IMG_7824.jpg

Part 3 Disneyland

How you know you are nearing Disneyland – the Disneyland train from Sunny Bay

1 On the Disney line DSC09053.jpg

1C DSC09379.jpg

The empty train. Mickey Mouse handholds.

1F DSC09381.jpg

Disneyland Station

1G DL Station IMG_7827.jpg

Art deco entrance gates set the scene at the entry to Disney's Hollywood Hotel

1A DSC09761.jpg

1B DSC09760.jpg

1C Hollywood Hotel lDSC09378.jpg

Since we had got away so early when we arrived at the hotel the doormen met us before we could approach the doors, whisked away our luggage before you could say ‘Mickey Mouse’ and we were free to queue for entry. Luckily we had read to be prepared and already had our gear sorted into what we needed for the day before we approached the doormen.

Welcome home

1H DSC09061.jpg

DD and I fave posters

1J DSC09063.jpg

1K DSC09064.jpg

Last edited:
Part 4

Disneyland was only just opening and we took the time to snap pics out front with the gorgeous fountain while it was quiet.

2A DSC09066.jpg

2B DSC06837.jpg

2C DSC09067.jpg

2D DSC06840.jpg

Looks familiar

3A DSC09069.jpg

As does this apart from some additions

3B DSC09233.jpg

Main St also is very recognisable

4A DSC06842.jpg

First stop pics with the castle-number 5 for me. An attempt to photograph me jumping in the air – failed absolutely every time – memo do not try doing this again.

4B Number 5 DSC06849.jpg

Castle number 4 for DD and 5 for DH

4C no 4 for J 5 for G DSC09082.jpg

The castle with its lovely mountain backdrop. It may be small like the original Disneyland but it fits the backdrop beautifully.

4D DSC09084.jpg

Part 5

Second stop since we were where we had to be and all day to be there, back to the Market House Bakery for second breakfast.

6 Bakery 2nd breakfast stop DSC09077.jpg

We tried a Halloween pumpkin red bean paste bun (forgot the price), mini BBQ pork puffs (3 for HK$32) in delish flaky pastry, custard tarts (HK$18) and DH a pizza bun (HK$43). The custard tarts were good but not as good as Dragon Bell's.

6C DSC06844.jpg

6B DSC06843.jpg

6D not as good as Dragon Bell DSC06845.jpg

6E DSC06846.jpg

We also listened to some entertainment

6F DSC09426.jpg

Finally took a picture of the Cigar Store Red Indian

6G DSC09562.jpg

and admired the Halloween decorations that looked very similar to those in WDW in 2014.

5B DSC09074.jpg

5K DSC09258.jpg

5E DSC09076.jpg

Part 6

More views of Main St

5A DSC09073.jpg

5F DSC09078.jpg

5G DSC09079.jpg

5H DSC09081.jpg

All the favourites in their Halloween costumes (we were too lazy to queue-the only activities today that had longish queues really)

5CC DSC09425.jpg

5C DSC07119.jpg

5D DSC07121.jpg

5M DSC09231.jpg

Corner Cafe Halloween High tea - I was tempted by this to share between 3 of us (if we could as 2 of us would never get through it) but in the event never got there.

5FF DSC09561.jpg

Ah. You DID make it to the Peak. You can definitely tick that one off the bucket list now.

And HKDL; castle No 5. You're officially the Queen of the 5 Castles now. Well done.

Great pictures!

Part 7

Let’s explore further afield. First land Adventureland, always a favourite. You can see how quiet it is and this must be more than an hour after opening as we missed rope drop and had looked around Main St, eaten second breakfast etc.

8 Entry to Adventureland DSC06861.jpg

It looks very lush and jungly here.

8B DSC06864.jpg

Cave carvings

8C DSC09088.jpg

8D DSC09087.jpg

We walked on to the Jungle Cruise, the English version, but the guide didn’t really try to make many jokes.

8E DSC09567.jpg

9 On the Jungle Cruise DSC06866.jpg

9A DSC09090.jpg

9B DSC09091 zoom.jpg

9C DSC09093.jpg

9D DSC06869.jpg

Last edited:
Part 8

I liked the different scenes here, with the temple and the headhunters

9F DSC09099.jpg

9G DSC06873.jpg

9I DSC06875.jpg

9J DSC09104.jpg

9H DSC09100.jpg

9LL DSC06877.jpg

Action shot - if you look to right of picture

9O DSC06879.jpg

I especially like the water spout and fire effects at the end (spoilers sorry!).

9P DSC09109.jpg

9Q DSC09476.jpg

Viewed from shore

9S DSC09478.jpg

Part 10

Since DH experiences in recent years feeling ill on coasters and DD’s very bad motion sickness issues, I rode the Runaway Mine Cars alone. It was a 5 min wait so I didn’t need to do single rider queue and could check out the walk through queue. I LOVED this ride, just the right amount of speed and turns etc for me without feeling too dizzy (since I’m not the greatest motion person either – we’re a useless family!)

16A Runaway Mine Train DSC09190.jpg

15C DSC09195.jpg

The family totally failed at taking pics of me on this ride. I am right at the back.

16B DSC06926.jpg

16C Can just see Wendy near back IMG_7523.jpg

16E IMG_7578.jpg

14 DSC09199.jpg

We explored some of the surroundings here then before it became too busy (which in the event it didn’t), headed next door to Mystic Manor. In the interest of keeping most of the pics together, here are most of our pics of Grizzly Gulch. I keep reading about things we missed seeing even though we poked around this area quite a bit over the two days. The story goes that this mining town was established in 1888 during the prosperous days of the Gold Rush. It was accidentally constructed on top of a bed of active geysers so the town was literally sinking and financially underwater until gold was discovered in nearby Big Grizzly Mountain when the town's fortunes changed.

17A DSC09127.jpg

Lucky Springs Geyser - make a wish when the geyser erupts!

17C DSC06938.jpg

The smaller geysers reminded me of the Rotorua area in NZ

17B DSC06932.jpg

13B DSC09125.jpg

Part 11

There’s a little friendly competition between the blacksmith's shop and the dry goods store. The bellows that once fanned the smithy’s fire now pump water in the direction of the dry goods store. But the dry goods store owners are fighting back—they’ve taken possession of a shipment of bellows meant for the blacksmith shop, and are using them to squirt water back in that direction. This area was very popular with the kids!

17D DSC09131.jpg

Off to Mystic Manor. The story goes that during an expedition, Lord Henry Mystic discovered a young monkey entangled in the web of a monstrous spider. He rescued the monkey and named him Albert. Taken with Albert and the tropical area, Lord Henry decided to stay, calling the area Mystic Point and building a home and museum for the growing collection of art and artefacts gathered by members of Lord Henry’s team, the Society of Explorers and Adventurers (S.E.A.). This society is an international assembly of men and women who travel the world in search of knowledge, adventure, art and priceless cultural artefacts.

18B DSC06940.jpg

We spent a lot of time in the walk through queue letting people go ahead of us, looking at all the exhibits.

18C DSC09133.jpg

18D DSC09134.jpg

Looking one way

19A IMG_7535.jpg
and the other

19AB IMG_7533.jpg

Lord Henry and Albert

19B DSC09135.jpg

Albert in the spider's web

19BB DSC09136.JPG

The S.E.A.

19C IMG_7531.jpg

19D IMG_7532.jpg

Part 12

19G IMG_7534.jpg

19H IMG_7537.jpg

We loved the details on these exhibits; as good as any museum piece.

19I DSC09141.jpg

19L IMG_7536.jpg

19J DSC09142.jpg

19K DSC09143.jpg

Preview show introducing the latest acquisition, a beautifully carved Balinese music box, said to make inanimate objects spring to life with its enchanting music dust.

19LC IMG_7539.jpg

The loading bay

19O IMG_7545.jpg

Loving this edition. Neither Mystic Manor nor the Mine Train were opened when we were there. I think I need a re-do!

Thank you for all the pictures and great descriptions! So excited for my DL and HK trip next week! :)

Well, I managed to get behind again over Christmas lol! Let's see...

The flower market looks beautiful. I'm with DH though - I think I would hate the bird market. Can't believe the amount of sleaze DH encountered just metres away from all those people! I'm exhausted just reading about your day.

The Peak seems equally as exhausting lol! Your stories of the crowds and the shoving certainly don't enhance the appeal of going, although I'm starting to feel like I should do more of the HK thing when we go. My next trip will be my 4th to HK, and all I've really seen is DL :rotfl:

I love how uncrowded HKDL is, especially now DLR is starting to get consistently busy. I do wonder what will happen when SDL opens, though they must have a good amount of faith in it to be building a huge new hotel! I also think that HKDL is one of the better themed and more aesthetically beautiful parks with the mountains in the background like that. I thought Grizzly Gulch was amazingly well done when I saw it on our last trip, and I can't wait to see Mystic Point!

Loving this edition. Neither Mystic Manor nor the Mine Train were opened when we were there. I think I need a re-do!

Yes, you definitely do :thumbsup2

Getting behind spending time on other projects! Glad I have helped build the excitement mrsgavily. You will love Grizzly Gulch and Mystic Manor PIO - lots of photo ops. Zanzibar the crowds varied - not as bad as I thought it might be. Within the markets at peak night time yes, like many markets but aside from those it wasn't too bad and was very quiet in other places like both gardens and in the normal shops. I do agree that HKDL is one of the better themed and aesthetically beautiful parks - to me along with Disneyland Paris. I have high hopes for Shanghai!

Part 13

On the Mystic Manor ride

"Now you will keep away from that music box, won't you Albert"

20C  IMG_7548.jpg

"Mmm" I don't think so!

20D IMG_7549.jpg

Releasing the magic

20E IMG_7550.jpg

which flows out through the manor

20F DSC09147.jpg

The magic animates all the exhibits in the different rooms and poor Albert - and us - keeps getting into tricky situations

20G lighten IMG_7552.jpg

20H DSC09150.jpg

20I DSC09152.jpg

20J IMG_7557.jpg

20L IMG_7561.jpg

20M DSC09156.jpg

Part 14

The finale is brilliant but no decent pics - you have to ride several times to get to properly see all the different scenes. Back in the drawing room:

Now you haven't opened that music box have you, Albert, you never know what might happen?

20O DSC09157.jpg

"No, Nup, Nuh". It's all right Albert. We won't tell.

20P IMG_7565.jpg

We all loved this ride and managed to fit in many rides over our two days noticing more things each time! It’s equal with Sinbad in Tokyo DisneySea as our favourite dark ride.

Another exterior view

21A IMG_7576.jpg

We also loved the design of the rubbish bins in this area.

21AB DSC09164.jpg

Nearby are the Garden of Wonders that includes exhibits from around the globe collected by Lord Mystic. Theoretically these reveal optical illusions but we didn't succeed very well in making them work.

3 statues—a firebird, a Chinese unicorn and a carp—transform into one sculpture.

21B DSC09161.jpg

A Mesopotamian mythological creature, the Lamassu (need to do this with adults and little children for the best effect).

21C DSC09162.jpg

A 3D Roman mosaic

21D DSC09163.jpg

Part 15

Next we walked through Toy Story Land. DH and I had seen Paris’s version but DD hadn’t been with us that trip. As in Paris it failed to impress though I felt the layout was somewhat better here or something.

23A Toy Story Land DSC09165.jpg

23BB IMG_7569.jpg

RC Racer makes me feel sick just watching it – lol!

23D RC Racer DSC09169.jpg

Slinky Dog Spin

23E Slinky Dog Spin DSC09174.jpg

Having a rest.

23F DSC09172.jpg

Parachute Drop in the background. I am sure this did more rise and drops each sequence than in Paris.

23C Parachute Drop in the background DSC09166.jpg

Mr Potato Head

23G DSC09176.jpg

Little Green Man

23I DSC09185.jpg

I'd rather a little green alien

23K IMG_7573.jpg

Andy talks to you as you go by.

23L DSC09184.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter