8 days in the East - Trip Report

Part 3.

The Panda’s were having breakfast.

5B DSC06601.jpg

5A DSC06599.jpg

Messy eaters!

5C DSC06602.jpg

5 DSC08679.jpg

The beautiful Sichuan Golden Snub-nosed monkeys were also here.

6A IMG_7078.jpg

6B Sichuan Golde Snub-nosed monkey DSC06603.jpg

6C IMG_7082.jpg

6E DSC08685.jpg

6D IMG_7086.jpg

Part 4

Nearby was Amazing Asian Animals – more active Pandas (with apologies for so many pics but I love them all!)

7 Amazing Asian Animals IMG_7100.jpg

7B DSC06610.jpg

7C DSC06611.jpg

7E DSC06613.jpg

7F DSC06614.jpg

7G DSC06616.jpg

7J DSC08692.jpg

7I DSC06623.jpg

Hard night!

7N IMG_7129.jpg

7L DSC06647.jpg

Part 5

The Red Panda’s would not keep still for their picture!

8A Red Panda DSC06627.jpg

8C DSC06633.jpg

8D IMG_7104.jpg

8E IMG_7122.jpg

Gator Marsh with the endangered Chinese Alligator

10 Gator Marsh  endangered Chinese Alligator DSC08688.jpg

A Chinese Giant Salamander which can weigh up to 65kg and reach 2m long.

9G Chinese Giant Salamander up to 65kg and 2m long  IMG_7132.jpg

Goldfish Treasures

9A Goldfish Treasures IMG_7137.jpg

9B IMG_7139.jpg

I love this expression

9C DSC06653.jpg

9D DSC06654.jpg

Part 6

Still with the goldfish

9E DSC08706.jpg

9F DSC08707.jpg

We now caught the Ocean Express train through the mountain to The Summit as, as expected the cable cars had a long queue snaking in the heat. With a steampunk theme, it was a fun short ride with a story simulating travelling under the ocean played out through the glass panels in the roof of the train.

11A DSC08708.jpg

11C Train.jpg

Attack of the killer squid of course

11D Inside DSC08710.jpg

I love how sinister these look!

11E Summit entrance DSC08711.jpg

We had a look over the balcony edge down on Aberdeen harbour.

12 Views of Aberdeen from the Summit DSC06657.jpg

12B DSC06658.jpg

12C DSC06660.jpg

Lots of thrill rides here but not for these little black ducks.

13A One of the many rides up here DSC08716.jpg

Really enjoying your trip through HK.

That apartment is tiny; but I guess it had everything you needed for your stay.
I WANT a custard tart now. And I just had lunch! :headache:

Ocean Park is surprisingly great. I really enjoyed it. Granted it doesn't have that "total Disney theming" but they do a good job at that park.
Love the pandas and the gold fish!

Thanks PIO - it made me want one too! We really liked Ocean Park and I would go back another visit to re-see some things and see others that we missed.

Part 7

More our style, icy cold South Pole Spectacular.
14  DSC08717.jpg

16E IMG_7238.jpg

14B entry to South Pole Spectacular IMG_7239.jpg

The penguins were being given a snow shower and being fed.

14G snow shower DSC06673.jpg

14D DSC06665.jpg

14C DSC06662.jpg

14F DSC06670.jpg

14H DSC06675.jpg

We loved how the walkways were inlaid with glass to watch the penguins streaking underneath (except they were a bit too busy with the food at this time!)

14J IMG_7179.jpg

14K IMG_7177.jpg

Part 8

This was one scary seal!

14L scary seal IMG_7178.jpg

You could also view the penguins from down below.

14II DSC08727.jpg

DD posing with the South Pole creatures.

16 DSC08740.jpg

Next we visited the real Artic Fox den

15A Artic Fox DSC06678.jpg

15C IMG_7182.jpg

15G IMG_7193.jpg

They are so cute and cuddly looking when they are asleep

15D DSC06688.jpg

15E DSC08731.jpg

15H IMG_7194.jpg

15I DSC06690.jpg

Part 9

But the ones in the gift shop are even cuddlier (and NB we resisted!)

16CC in shop IMG_7236.jpg

16B DSC08748.jpg

16D DSC08718.jpg

16F IMG_7237.jpg

Next across to the North Pole Encounter – these exhibits were the perfect place for such a hot day.

17A North Pole Encounter IMG_7201.jpg

17B Sea enclosure IMG_7202.jpg

The seals did not want to be photographed

17C DSC06694.jpg

Apart from looking like the perfect caricature of itself, does anyone else see a resemblance between the walrus and Zoidberg from Futurama?

17E DSC06702.jpg

17F DSC06705.jpg

Underwater viewing

17H DSC08743.jpg

Last edited:
Part 10

Underwater viewing dressed for Halloween. There was a perspex tunnel here as well to walk through.

18 Underwater viewing seals DSC08747.jpg

18C IMG_7235.jpg

Next we could have ridden the Rapids in the Rainforest zone as it was so hot or walked the Expedition Trail but heat and hunger were pressing on us and as the escalators I had jumped on after exiting this area had led us down to Summit Plaza where we found the path to the Rainforest zone curved back up, we skipped that area (yes, looking at the map I did pick up might have helped!)

We followed the pathway, decorated for Halloween, to Marine World and realised we had just missed the start of a dolphin show in the theatre so found a shady spot to rest and snack on hot chips and cold drinks which though we had felt hungry, in the heat turned out to be all we wanted.

19B On the way to the Marineworld DSC08755.jpg

19BB DSC08750.jpg

19C DSC08751.jpg

19E DSC08753.jpg

19D DSC08752.jpg

19F IMG_7273.jpg

Clever chip holder

19G light lunch clever holder DSC08764.jpg

Last edited:
Part 11

After we had finished, I knew nearby was one of the Halloween Houses that opened at 1 pm and since they were all included in our day ticket I thought it would be fun to give it a go. I figured being right at this end of the park the crowds might not have got this far yet – and I was right.

The Puppet Master’s Deadly Workshop rated the highest of 5 on the scare scale and DD admitted she was a tad nervous waiting to go in, not ever having experienced anything like this before. Growing up going to haunted houses I figured it’d be corny and fun – and I was right. Maybe if we understood Cantonese it would have made more impact, maybe, but I had read the story brief. “An aging puppet master brings his creations to life to care for his dying wife. His good intentions go horribly wrong when his living puppets turn on them with murderous machinations! Visit the Master’s manor and avoid the ghastly traps of the evil puppets as you unravel more of this horrifying tale."

I managed to totally forget to take pictures of the exit for this attraction and haven't found anyone else who has took any on the internet by day I could "borrow" either so here are a couple of some promo shots from Rappler.com.
20 Haunted house Puppet master deadly workshop day promo shot.jpg 20B Puppet master day promo shot 2.jpg

20C Puppet Master night time exit pic.jpg

We were let in, in small groups and we had a group of 3 Asian girls and a boy in front of us. Mostly there were scenes of puppets that were softly lit as we were in black darkness and as you moved from tiny room to tiny room divided by thick black curtains they grew more murderous looking and had bloodthirsty implements. CMs dressed as puppets appeared and shreaked a bit but did not touch you. In some spaces things hung down and touched you. The girls and boy in front were terrified!! They screamed nonstop and in fact, they made the whole thing funny really. At one point though, they balked and would not move on through the next black curtain; we had people starting to push us from behind and the CM was trying to encourage them through which just made them scream all the more. In the end DD pushed in front, opened the curtain wide and went through to encourage them to follow her – lol! When we got out we were laughing but one girl of the group looked pale and shaken and really scared, poor thing.

I would have quite liked to also visit the 15 Years of Horror show with exhibits from scares from previous years but it was down yet another level in Adventure Land and the troops were starting to wilt. I had also intended to visit Pacific Pier to see if it was open as it had been closed a month or so earlier for refurb but somehow we missed it as we walked away still laughing at the Horror House and instead we climbed up a short distance to Shark Mystique. This was a large aquarium with rays and different types of sharks viewed indoors from above and below including through the usual perspex tunnel.

21 Shark Mystique DSC08756.jpg

21A IMG_7244.jpg

21B DSC08757.jpg

Rays and a White Tipped Reef Shark

21C DSC08760.jpg

Largetooth Sawfish

21D sawfish DSC08762.jpg

Zebra shark

21E zebra shark IMG_7266.jpg

Not sure if this is another Zebra Shark or not. They also had Hammerheads which also fascinate me- they look so fake but we didn't manage to take any non-blurry photos of any.

21F IMG_7242.jpg

Last edited:
Part 12

Next was the Chinese Sturgeon Aquarium, big almost shark-looking fish but again no decent pics.

21H Chinese Sturgeon IMG_7271.jpg

As we continued walking, we passed the Garden of Joy, a Japanese garden

19 Japanese Garden of Joy IMG_7275.jpg

and reached Sea Jelly Spectacular, which was really well done. As well as the fluro colours setting the jellies off so well, I never realised the variety of jellyfish that are out there (sorry overload of jellyfish ahead).

22BB IMG_7280.jpg

22B DSC08769.jpg

22C DSC08766.jpg

22D IMG_7277.jpg

22FF IMG_7287.jpg

22G IMG_7282.jpg

22GG IMG_7293.jpg

22HH IMG_7298.jpg

Last edited:
Part 13

Yes more jellyfish

22I DSC08775.jpg

Candy floss jellies

22II IMG_7290.jpg

Blobby jellies

22J DSC08777.jpg

and snowflake jellies.

22K IMG_7276.jpg

From this exit we were right by the cable car so decided to head back down to the Waterfront area and hence missed the Rainforest zone. Ocean Park is truly BIG – and we hadn’t even attempted to do any of the rides only look at the wildlife and marinelife.

The cable car’s going in this direction were empty almost.

23A cable car back to waterfront DSC08784.jpg

Stunning views of Repulse Bay.

23B view towards Repulse Bay DSC08790.jpg

One of the many roller coasters in the background

23C DSC08778.jpg

23D DSC08781.jpg

Deepwater Bay in the background

23F Deepwater Bay in bakground DSC08788.jpg

View over the Waterfront zone and the new Marriott Hotel being built next door.

23G view over waterfront part of park and new Marriott hotel DSC08793.jpg

Last edited:
Part 14

Back in the waterfront it was now very crowded. We walked through Old Hong Kong posing for pics along the way. There's a Disney Duffy fan!

24A DSC08810.jpg

24B DSC08796.jpg

24C DSC08797.jpg

24D DSC08798.jpg

24E DSC08795.jpg

24F DSC08811.jpg

Couldn’t resist checking out the relatively new Adventures in Australia. This was very well done and we were amused how much they shushed people and how quiet people were compared to any Australian-based exhibit I have been to.

24H DSC08800.jpg

You know the favourite animal by the crowds' attention!

25A Adventures in Australia DSC08808.jpg

But we were intrigued first by the albino baby wallaby.

25B DSC06707.jpg

25D DSC06716.jpg

Last edited:
Part 15

25E DSC06721.jpg

25FF IMG_7318.jpg

The koala's were sleepy as always

25G DSC06710.jpg

25H DSC08806.jpg

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree...

25J IMG_7317.jpg

The exhibits were in partnership with the South Australian Government.

As we walked out we saw the end of one show. There were lots of shows including Halloween specials we could have watched and a Halloween Trail we missed.

26 DSC08813.jpg

We debated about visiting the main aquarium here and if I had been by myself I might have but I had two tired and hot accomplices and there was around a 30 min at least queue. So we checked out the gift shop then exited while the crowds continued to pour in for all the evening Halloween exhibits.

The Walking Dead House.

29B Walking Dead House.JPG

27 DSC08814.jpg

28 DSC08815.jpg

29 DSC08816.jpg

Last edited:
Ok. We need to go back to Ocean Park as well. We didn't do half of those animal attractions that you did. DS wanted to do the rides and so we headed up to the top to get a few of them done, and to see a couple of shows before the downpour of rain.

Great pictures of all the animals. Love the penguins and the jellyfish and Zoidberg.
You really look like you're having fun in Old Hong Kong!

Part 16 (Lets get this day finished!)

I had in mind I wanted to go over to Stanley for a quick look rather than straight back to town and figured there would be cool breezes by the sea. I had looked up buses and maps and knew what we needed to catch but the problem was all that construction work around Ocean Park. The only buses pulling in to the park itself was the expresses straight back to Admiralty and Central. I needed the regular bus plaza and strangely no-one I asked could seem to tell me how to reach it – not the bus dispatcher, not the security guards, not the gate staff. They pointed us in one direction and we’d do a loop as all exits were blocked by construction walls and end up back where we started. We would have given up except for stubborn me was now determined I would work this out so I watched and when I saw some people heading off crossing right through the midst of some of the construction we followed.

Eureka! Following unmarked paths weaving through the construction we found the bus plaza but I could see the road we needed to take curved away at a different level below and to our right. Buses from the plaza would take us back to the Aberdeen tunnel. I headed off cross country, being forced onto circuitous paths that led me ultimately to my destination, a bus stop on the correct coastal road – and to my chagrin on the opposite side was the path alongside Ocean Park I had been trying to reach at the start knowing the bus stop was directly opposite. People were walking down it so it must have been open if only I had known how to get there. Anyway DH was muttering about me getting us hopelessly lost and did I really know what I was doing, as we waited for about 15 mins for a bus with no-one else there, when the bus number I wanted came along – of course!

It was another double decker and we followed a circuitous route into Stanley (I knew DD with her motion seediness would not enjoy this part but hoped it would be short). Deepwater and Repulse Bays looked very inviting as we went past.

We got off at Stanley Plaza rather than staying on to the markets and walked down to the waterfront. I looked longingly at a waffle and icecream shop but knew my stomach would protest about the dairy this soon since I am partly lactose intolerant at the best of times. DD and DH just wanted cold drinks.

At the plaza

30B DSC08820.jpg

Lovers's hearts here

30C DSC08817.jpg

Stanley is named after Lord Stanley, the British colonial secretary for the colonies in C19th. It was the site of the last stand of British troops in the battle of Hong Kong in 1941 before surrendering to the Japanese. Just outside of town is St Stephens College that was used as a military hospital during the war before it fell to the Japanese then it became an internment camp. Rather soberingly the college is infamous for a massacre when soldiers stormed the building and killed many British and Canadian soldiers lying wounded in their beds on Christmas Eve 1941.

Today Stanley was very quiet.

The first thing we noticed was that Murray House has been renovated into shops and restaurants with a H&M rather incongruously occupying the ground floor though the top floor restaurants look nice places to eat with views over the water. Murray House was built in 1848 as officer’s quarters and stood where the Bank of China Tower now is in central. It was dismantled in 1982 and as it was heritage listed the pieces were numbered and stored for several years before being rebuilt here. Over time the numbers had faded or were lost so when it was rebuilt they had several bits left over.

View of Murray House from the plaza

30 Murray House from Stanley Plaza DSC08818.jpg

We walked out along the pier and enjoyed sitting quietly enjoying the late afternoon breeze. The top structure of the pier came from a Central pier originally, having subsequently topped an open air theatre in a park for a while before being rebuilt here. The ironwork is gorgeous.

31 Blake Pier DSC08821.jpg

32 Stanley Pier DSC06724.jpg

33 DSC08825.jpg

View of Stanley waterfront and market stalls from Blake Pier

33B viewing Stanley's waterfront market IMG_7331.jpg

Looking back at the esplanade

34 DSC06723.jpg

33D.JPG

This pooch is keen to buy a new outfit

33E off ot shop IMG_7334.jpg

Last edited:
Part 17

Next we visited the Tin Hau Temple, built in 1767 and originally dedicated to the Goddess of the Sea who is worshipped by fishermen. There are many Tin Hau temples throughout Hong Kong and these days she is a popular goddess with everyone. This shrine also has shrines to lots of other deities including Kwun Yum, Che Kung, Wong Tai Sin and Hung Shing, not that in the pics below I could tell you who was who.

37 Tin Hau Temple IMG_7336.jpg

37B DSC08827.jpg

I liked the peacock tiling

37C IMG_7337.jpg

37D IMG_7338.jpg

37E DSC08831.jpg

37F DSC08830.jpg

37G IMG_7340.jpg

37H IMG_7341.jpg

37J IMG_7342.jpg

Last edited:
Part 18

Feeling lazy we had no inclination to walk around to the markets and instead wandered along the front a while.

DH making DD laugh at some instruction - probably to gaze thoughtfully out to sea!

35B DSC06733.jpg

The photographer

36B IMG_7347.jpg

and his two girls

36 DSC06743.jpg

Looking out

36D looking out.JPG

As the day was drawing to a close we thought we had best catch the bus back to central. It was another double decker and we were soon pleased that we had boarded here as it stopped along the way collecting construction and other workers and soon was full, so full that by the time it reached the beaches it could take no more and left people waiting at the stops grumbling, for the next bus. DD and DH sat downstairs as DD figured there would be less motion there but I grabbed a top seat, unfortunately the front ones were full, and got some great sunset pictures out the window. Another benefit of being upstairs was no-one could stand so no crowds, unlike down below.

39 sunset from the bus DSC08834.jpg

Repulse Bay

40A Repulse Bay.JPG

40B.JPG

The infamous hole in the building. It is believed that a dragon lives on the mountain behind the building. If this hole was not here, the building would always come in the way of the dragon heading towards the sea. On the advice of a Feng Shui expert, to give that dragon an unrestricted passage, this hole is there in the building.

40C Infamous bdg.JPG

40D DSC08840.jpg

Last edited:
Part 19

Deepwater Bay

41C DSC08846.jpg

Ocean Park silhouette

Ocean Park sunset DSC08849.jpg

We hopped off the bus when we reached the central area and switched to the MTR to Causeway Bay. This is an area that reminds me of Shinjuku and the like in Tokyo – lots of shopping malls, trendy shops, neon lights – and crowds! We navigated our way to Times Square and fairly randomly looked for somewhere for dinner.

Times Square

28 Times Sqe DSC08854.jpg

The dome inside

28B dome.JPG

Australian cockatoos

28C DSC08857.jpg

The centres here are like those in Japan – lots of smaller stores crowded together. We came across a place I remembered I had shortlisted in TST and it only had a short queue, Crystal Jade Xiao Long Bao so in we went. At this point we hadn’t fathomed it was a dim sum place so DD and I ordered the same, wonton soup, which explains why the attendant looked so puzzled but OMG, it was sooooo good and very reasonably priced. The wontons were amazing. DH had noodles which he equally said were excellent. Phone pic.

28F wonton soup from Crystal Jade 20151016_191235.jpg

Afterwards we browsed some shops; I found a few of my favourite homeware, stationary and geek stores from Tokyo, but we mostly resisted buying anything.

One of my fave Japanese stores

28E our fave Japanese store DSC08855.jpg

I led us round and through the nearby Leighton Centre several times looking for a quirky souvenir/lifestyle store called G.O.D. but failed to find it. It would have been good to have spent longer but we were all very tired and pretty soon called it a night and caught the MTR back to central as DH and I wanted to ride the ferry back in the reverse direction. We had to time it to avoid the last light show (as the ferries moor at sea while it is on and we’d all get seasick bouncing about in one spot for 20 mins).

The Hong Kong wheel at night

29 HK wheel at night DSC08861.jpg

City from the ferry

29B city from ferry DSC08862.jpg

A building in TST that cycled through a whole story in lights (from the ferry)

29D IMG_7350.jpg

Back in TST we jumped on a bus up Nathan Rd and home to bed. Tonight I slept in the bottom bunk in DD’s room. It was softer than the main bed, and dark and cool - bliss!!

Highlights of the day: Animals! especially the pandas, penguins and artic fox; Halloween house; just sitting enjoying the lack of crowds and sea breeze on the pier in Stanley; wontons for dinner. Downsides: just the usual- heat, tiredness when there is so much more to see, crowds. Steps walked 22,465, around 15.2 km.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter