7/14/2014 - 12-Night Mediterranean Cruise (with Greece) Venice to Barcelona

Hi everyone,

I can't believe how close it is until the cruise!!!

I posted this question on FB, but wanted to post it here since many are not on FB.

Has anyone contacted Disney Cruise Line directly or asked their TA about the correct departure time for Kusadasi?? The cruise docs say we will depart Kusadasi at 6:45 PM, but on the website for the itinerary of our cruise, it says we will depart Kusadasi at 4:45PM.

I emailed my TA a while back and asked her, and she got back to me and said she contacted Disney and Disney said the correct departure time is 6:45PM. But, we have a private tour booked for Kusadasi (with MELITOUR... I know several people here have a tour with MELITOUR as well), and MELITOUR recently contacted me saying that Disney has changed the departure time to 4:45PM, and so MELITOUR is adjusting our private tour to have us back to the ship by 3PM (instead of 5PM, which was the original time to be back to the ship).

So, now I'm thoroughly confused!!

I did email MELITOUR back and asked if they actually talked to Disney Cruise Line directly, or if they got this info off the website (which does say 4:45PM). I haven't heard back yet from MELITOUR.

I also emailed my TA back and told her this same discrepancy (that our private tour thinks our ship is leaving at 4:45), and haven't heard back from her yet (but I emailed her last night, so I likely won't hear back until Monday when she is working).

I know once we are on the ship and we get the navigator for Kusadasi, we'll for SURE know the departure time as it will be listed on the navigator. BUT, I'd really love the know the TRUE departure time before we leave for Europe, because if it is true that we are leaving at 6:45, I'd love to be able to have that extra 2 hours on our private tour, and I'd like to be able to let MELITOUR know now that they can plan for a 5PM time back to the ship.

BUT, for now, I'm keeping our arrival time back to the ship for 3PM to play it very safe!! Because if the ship IS leaving at 4:45 PM, then obviously, we want to be back by 3PM, NOT 5PM. LOL!!! :eek::eek::eek:

And, if the ship truly IS leaving at 6:45 PM, then Disney Cruise Line really needs to change that departure time of 4:45 PM that it shows online because it might be the private tour companies are using that as their time frame for planning all the private tours people are going on, and that is a pretty big glitch as many private tours may get cut short by 2 hours as a result.

Anyway, like I said, I'm keeping our private tour arrival time back to the ship at 3PM until I know 100% what time the ship is really leaving!!!! :thumbsup2

But, I'd love to know if anyone here has called DCL or talked to their TA and have heard directly what the correct departure time for Kusadasi is???

Thanks so much!!!

See you all soon! :cool1:

Hi everyone, I can't believe how close it is until the cruise!!! I posted this question on FB, but wanted to post it here since many are not on FB. Has anyone contacted Disney Cruise Line directly or asked their TA about the correct departure time for Kusadasi?? The cruise docs say we will depart Kusadasi at 6:45 PM, but on the website for the itinerary of our cruise, it says we will depart Kusadasi at 4:45PM. I emailed my TA a while back and asked her, and she got back to me and said she contacted Disney and Disney said the correct departure time is 6:45PM. But, we have a private tour booked for Kusadasi (with MELITOUR... I know several people here have a tour with MELITOUR as well), and MELITOUR recently contacted me saying that Disney has changed the departure time to 4:45PM, and so MELITOUR is adjusting our private tour to have us back to the ship by 3PM (instead of 5PM, which was the original time to be back to the ship). So, now I'm thoroughly confused!! I did email MELITOUR back and asked if they actually talked to Disney Cruise Line directly, or if they got this info off the website (which does say 4:45PM). I haven't heard back yet from MELITOUR. I also emailed my TA back and told her this same discrepancy (that our private tour thinks our ship is leaving at 4:45), and haven't heard back from her yet (but I emailed her last night, so I likely won't hear back until Monday when she is working). I know once we are on the ship and we get the navigator for Kusadasi, we'll for SURE know the departure time as it will be listed on the navigator. BUT, I'd really love the know the TRUE departure time before we leave for Europe, because if it is true that we are leaving at 6:45, I'd love to be able to have that extra 2 hours on our private tour, and I'd like to be able to let MELITOUR know now that they can plan for a 5PM time back to the ship. BUT, for now, I'm keeping our arrival time back to the ship for 3PM to play it very safe!! Because if the ship IS leaving at 4:45 PM, then obviously, we want to be back by 3PM, NOT 5PM. LOL!!! :eek::eek::eek: And, if the ship truly IS leaving at 6:45 PM, then Disney Cruise Line really needs to change that departure time of 4:45 PM that it shows online because it might be the private tour companies are using that as their time frame for planning all the private tours people are going on, and that is a pretty big glitch as many private tours may get cut short by 2 hours as a result. Anyway, like I said, I'm keeping our private tour arrival time back to the ship at 3PM until I know 100% what time the ship is really leaving!!!! :thumbsup2 But, I'd love to know if anyone here has called DCL or talked to their TA and have heard directly what the correct departure time for Kusadasi is??? Thanks so much!!! See you all soon! :cool1:

I would love to know this too. Same thing is going on with us!

But, I'd love to know if anyone here has called DCL or talked to their TA and have heard directly what the correct departure time for Kusadasi is???

Thanks so much!!!

See you all soon! :cool1:

LTR - I know a couple of families on the cruise that left two days ago. They will be in Kusadasi on 6/30. As Shoreside has not so far been able to get accurate information for our itinerary (I've asked about this ad nauseum for weeks since we first mentioned it here) I asked if they could snag a quick photo of the Navigator for port, or at least tell me the embarkation time. If it helps, I researched the following dates where Kusadasi appears for Disney for this summer:

Sailing dates:

6/26 - showing 4:45PM, last confirmation I have of this is on 6/21
7/14 - I have both 4:45PM and 6:45PM confirmations, as recently as 6/26
7/26 - 6:45PM appears on all confirmations

There is also information showing on Cruise Time Tables showing a 6:45PM departure on that date, as well as for the 7/26 depute date, but 4:45PM for the 6/26 departure date

http://ships.cruisett.com/schedule/Disney_Cruise_Line/Disney_Magic/July_2014/

I know this probably doesn't help much. The only thing it tells me is to plan for an earlier departure, and be prepared to go shopping for a couple of hours later for a later one. :D

I'm also going to start a thread in the regular cruise forum.

LTR - I know a couple of families on the cruise that left two days ago. They will be in Kusadasi on 6/30. As Shoreside has not so far been able to get accurate information for our itinerary (I've asked about this ad nauseum for weeks since we first mentioned it here) I asked if they could snag a quick photo of the Navigator for port, or at least tell me the embarkation time. If it helps, I researched the following dates where Kusadasi appears for Disney for this summer:

Sailing dates:

6/26 - showing 4:45PM, last confirmation I have of this is on 6/21
7/14 - I have both 4:45PM and 6:45PM confirmations, as recently as 6/26
7/26 - 6:45PM appears on all confirmations

There is also information showing on Cruise Time Tables showing a 6:45PM departure on that date, as well as for the 7/26 depute date, but 4:45PM for the 6/26 departure date

http://ships.cruisett.com/schedule/Disney_Cruise_Line/Disney_Magic/July_2014/

I know this probably doesn't help much. The only thing it tells me is to plan for an earlier departure, and be prepared to go shopping for a couple of hours later for a later one. :D

I'm also going to start a thread in the regular cruise forum.

Thank you for this info! So, it sounds like there is no FIRM answer as to when the ship is leaving port, right??

I agree... I'm planning on the early departure and then shop around Kusadasi if it ends up being the later departure. I'd much rather miss out on 2 hours of our private tour time, than having to buy one-way plane tickets to Rhodes to meet the ship there because we missed it thinking the ship is leaving at 6:45PM!! That'd be my worst nighmare!!! So, for sure, we are erring on the safe side, and assuming it's leaving at 4:45 PM!

We were there last year on our Med Cruise, and there is a lot of cute shops and an open market to shop at in Kusadasi (with great prices on stuff), so it'll be fine if that is what we end up doing if the ship does leave at 6:45PM.

I just feel bad for people who really DO want that FULL day till 5ish PM they had planned and might get it cut short by 2 hours just because of this discrepancy.

But, for us, it'll be fine finishing our tour at 3PM.... we did Ephesus, and that whole area last year (and it was **AMAZING**!!), so this year, we are doing something different (going into a village and then going to a hot springs!), so it'll be much more low key, which will make it so cutting our time short by 2 hours, we still will get to do all we wanted to do on our tour.

If anyone does get any FIRM information on the departure time, let us know here! :)

Nope, doesn't have to be preordered, but you avoid the tip and the incessant sales pitch roaming around the ship.

Teach, we use the Rick Steves free audio guides when we go solo. Their Acropolis one is pretty entertaining, and the directions are very clear. We also usually try listening to it in advance, since my kids will tell you I am prone to getting "Squirrelitis" and getting lost. Don't listen to them though. it's not true.

I used the Rick Steves audio guide when I went to the Acropolis last time. Kids didn't want to go (we had gone the previous year) and it was great.

Thank you for this info! So, it sounds like there is no FIRM answer as to when the ship is leaving port, right??

As of right now, not firm enough for me to make a commitment to be miles away at 4:45, just as you said.

Thank you so much for the advice on the port, too. I am not a big shopper, but I do love poking my head around ports and watching people and trying different foods (as long as I can figure them out.) Can you guide me to the open market? wait - do they have wine there? We could try wine from every country. Last time we had a Pizza from every Port contest, and it was great.

JD, I have yet to make it all the way to the end of the podcast. There's nothing that will embarrass my kids in it, is there?

As of right now, not firm enough for me to make a commitment to be miles away at 4:45, just as you said.

Thank you so much for the advice on the port, too. I am not a big shopper, but I do love poking my head around ports and watching people and trying different foods (as long as I can figure them out.) Can you guide me to the open market? wait - do they have wine there? We could try wine from every country. Last time we had a Pizza from every Port contest, and it was great.

JD, I have yet to make it all the way to the end of the podcast. There's nothing that will embarrass my kids in it, is there?

All of the shopping (and the open market) is very close to port... like 5 minute walk. Once you go through the cruise terminal and get out of the terminal, you just walk down the street and you cannot miss it!! There are tons of shops, and there is an open market there, too.

Also, it's customary in Turkey to barter the price on items. So, for example, if they are asking 20 Euros for something, you can offer them less, and sometimes they will just take your offer right away, or they will counter-offer you. So, be prepared to barter, if you feel like it. :) I'm sure they are happy to get full price, if that is not your thing.

Also, you will see everywhere these beautiful hand-painted porcelain bowls (all different sizes) in Kusadasi. Just as an FYI, you will see these same bowls in Greece for about 4-times the price!!! So, if you like these porcelain bowls, buy them in Kusadasi and not Greece! You'll save a ton of money. :)

Here is an example of what I'm talking about:

http://www.amazon.com/Nimet-Traditional-Turkish-Porcelain-N20020/dp/B00GXH7DB8

They come in ALL different colors, different patterns, different sizes. They are SOOOOO beautiful! I bought a few in Kusadasi last summer on our Med Cruise, and I got them down to 15 Euros (from I think 25 Euros) for a larger bowl (like the size of a large salad bowl you would put on a table to serve a group of people), and when we went to Mykonos, I saw these exact same size bowls, and they were asking 80 Euros! It might be the other Greek Islands we'll be going to on this cruise will have these same bowls for cheaper than I saw at Mykonos, but my guess is your best price will be in Kusadasi!

But, it's just really fun to look around. ;)

Just a shopping tip! :thumbsup2

We are onboard too! Chet (DH) and me, Fern.

Arriving in Venice a few days before the cruise from Zurich by train. Will PM Keenercam to join directory. We are interested in joining the group for drinks after the dinner get together if this is possible.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Chet and Fern

Love the shopping tips!! So good to know. Those bowls are sold in Monterey CA for like $120. I will definitely be stocking up!! How do we get our souvenir's home?

Also, does anyone know about car seats? I know the law in Athens is 2 and up. I assume we don't need one in Venice?? Any recommendations?

Arriving in Venice a few days before the cruise from Zurich by train. Will PM Keenercam to join directory. We are interested in joining the group for drinks after the dinner get together if this is possible.

Chet and Fern

Welcome Aboard :wave2:

We have always had a group from DIS meets get together after the dinner seatings for a bit of conversation and drinks in either Promenade or Diversions (which I think is now O'Gills Pub on Magic) on previous cruises. There has not been much group planning on this Meet, people are encouraged to go to Face Book and the DIS is kind of second.

For those of us on DIS we would surely enjoy some after the day group to hear about everyone's activities.

The Port schedule still shows 6:45 and when I called DCL 2 weeks ago they told me 6:45. I am not going to be the guy running down the pier to watch the ship sail away so sent a message to our tour company that there may be some schedule adjustment needed. The last portion of our 8 hour tour is Ephesus Town so if we are cut short we will be right there. The other thing is Rhodes is so close we would not need extra sea time, you would think we would depart early only if there were a port issue.

Anyway, it is all good, great island, great attractions and great company, leaving at either 4:45 or 6:45 I am sure we will find to be too early :upsidedow

Love the shopping tips!! So good to know. Those bowls are sold in Monterey CA for like $120. I will definitely be stocking up!! How do we get our souvenir's home?

Also, does anyone know about car seats? I know the law in Athens is 2 and up. I assume we don't need one in Venice?? Any recommendations?

Yah, stock up on those bowls in Kusadasi!! I'm going to get some more myself. I love them, and they make great gifts, too!!

We packed light when we left for Europe last summer, knowing we'd buy some things over there. I hadn't planned on buying breakable items, but this time, I am thinking of throwing in some bubble wrap in my suitcase before we leave to wrap some breakable items in, if it fits well in our suitcase.

But, last year, I carried home in a bag two of the big bowls in a carry-on bag, and then I bought a couple medium sized bowls and a couple small bowls (like single serving type size bowls), and those, I was able to pack really well in our suitcase around clothes to make sure they wouldn't break. Also, when you buy them, the people will wrap them in either paper or bubble wrap (a couple of them, they wrapped in bubble wrap, but the others, they wrapped in paper).

We also have hard-side luggage, so that helps in transporting more breakable items in our luggage (if they are packed well inside).

So, I guess plan on either carrying them all the way home on the plane with you, or packing them well in your luggage, if that works. Maybe throw in some bubble wrap to wrap them in.

Also, another tip for shopping in Kusadasi (if you plan to barter the price), is bring small denominations of Euros with you. This way, if for example, they are asking 13 Euros for something, you can pull out just 8 Euros and say, "I'll give you 8 Euros. This is all I have. I'll give you this 8 Euros I have right here and buy this item right now, if you'll take 8 Euros."

So, if you have small denominations of Euros, it's easier to talk them down in price because you just pull out the exact amount of Euros you want to offer, and that often will get you the deal. Otherwise, if they are asking 13 Euros for something, and all you have is a 20 Euro bill, and they see you don't have anything less than a bigger bill, then good luck in getting it for less than 13 Euros. :)

So, that is just a bartering tip. Again, it's totally part of their culture... even our private guide we had for our private tour last year told us to talk everyone down in price when we buy stuff. He said it's expected!

But, there are sooo many great things you can buy in Kusadasi. It's great shopping there and good deals. :) :thumbsup2

One other thing about those bowls... you will see them everywhere!! SOOO many shops carry them, and they all want you to buy the bowl from them, and not the shop next door. But, each shop has them priced differently.

So, my recommendation is to not buy from the very first shop you see. Just sort of take mental notes on the prices you see, and remember which shop sold them for the best price. Then, you know who to buy from. Or, if one shop sells them for a higher price than another shop, but the higher priced shop has the colors and designs of bowls you really want, you can tell the store person that the other shop sells them for less, and if they will sell theirs for less to you, you'll buy from them, if not, you'll go to the other store. That often will get you a lower price! So, that is another shopping tip and bartering tip. :)

So, just price them out, find the bowls you like the most, and then use the other prices from the other shops as a bartering tool. Also, by looking at all the prices of the bowls in all of the shops, also will give you a good idea of what YOU want to offer to pay for a bowl when you barter the price.

For example, if you see that the bowls range between 18 - 25 Euros asking price, you know you can get a bowl for sure for 18 Euros because some store sell them for 18. So, then, that also gives you an idea of a reasonable offer to give them for the price you would like to pay. In the example above, if you see the price ranges are between 18 and 25 Euros, you likely won't get them to agree on anything below 15 Euros. You MIGHT be able to get one for like 13 Euros if they really really want your business, but sometimes if you ask too low of a price, they will start to ignore you because it's not being reasonable.

So, just price shop first, and then get an idea of what you think they are worth and what a reasonable price is, and make that your target price! Also, decide in your mind how high you are willing to pay, because sometimes they will counter-offer your offer, and you have to decide if you are willing to pay the higher price.

But, like I said, it's also fine if you pay the asking price... of course, they'd lke that. That is if bartering is not comfortable to you. Regardless, even the asking price is a GOOD deal compared to what you'd pay elsewhere.

Chet and Fern

Welcome Fern and Chet, it will be good to see you again!

:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc LTR, thank you. that is awesome. I have no qualms bartering (Yiayia used to take us with her to the pier in Boston on Saturdays and would positively float home if she negotiate well... or is that gloat?) and don't usually carry much with me anyways, so small bills will not be a problem. I grew up with an anti-Turkish sentiment, so buying things in Turkey, even though they may be items from Greece, is anti-patriotic to me. Doesn't mean I won't do it, I just found it funny I had that reaction. (the other reaction I had was dang, that's an awesome price you negotiated!)

After Dinner Drinks - how about we just plan embarkation night after dinner, at 0'Gills, at 10PM. If it works, we can simply make that a daily libation and story spot. When you first walk into the lounge, there's a large bank of booths on the right hand side. The Club 18*21 college crowd mixer usually starts tucked into the other side of the room around 10:15 too, then take off somewhere.

After Dinner Drinks - how about we just plan embarkation night after dinner, at 0'Gills, at 10PM. If it works, we can simply make that a daily libation and story spot. When you first walk into the lounge, there's a large bank of booths on the right hand side. The Club 18*21 college crowd mixer usually starts tucked into the other side of the room around 10:15 too, then take off somewhere.

Good idea! We'll try to come by if we can!

:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc LTR, thank you. that is awesome. I have no qualms bartering (Yiayia used to take us with her to the pier in Boston on Saturdays and would positively float home if she negotiate well... or is that gloat?) and don't usually carry much with me anyways, so small bills will not be a problem. I grew up with an anti-Turkish sentiment, so buying things in Turkey, even though they may be items from Greece, is anti-patriotic to me. Doesn't mean I won't do it, I just found it funny I had that reaction. (the other reaction I had was dang, that's an awesome price you negotiated!)

Yah, you can get some good deals in Kusadasi! :)

Oh, after dinner drinks at O'Gills at 10PM sounds awesome!! And, the next day is a sea day, so we won't be trying to go to bed early to get up early for a busy port day.

Count my husband and me in! We'll be there. Also, there is a cruise group meet at 2:30 in one of the lounges ... I forget which lounge, but I can look it up. We hope to be there... it all depends on what time we board the ship. We may not board the ship until early afternoon. But, for sure we'll be at the 10PM drinks at O'Gills! We'll be on the ship by then!! :rotfl2::rotfl2::thumbsup2

Sounds good; we plan on being in Venice for most of the day, so will miss the 2:30meet. It's not often I get a chunk of time off from work to do this, so trying to maximize the port time.

I probably won't be able to stay late that first night (I'm an early girl), but would be great to meet everyone.

Maybe we should note it on Facebook too? I'm not on there, but if someone wants to toss out the invite, maybe more would go. I'll be out :laundry: so I can begin packing for :beach: (been dying to use those smilies.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter