7/14/2014 - 12-Night Mediterranean Cruise (with Greece) Venice to Barcelona

Hi Everyone, :wave2:

I am new to this thread. My husband and I are going on the same cruise. We are staying in Venice for a few days before the cruise. Is anyone else staying in Venice?

Tammy (35) and John (49)

This is our first ever cruise! We are huge WDW fans and could never have considered anyone except DCL. My parents have cruised with NCL a few times and aren't quite the Disney fanatics the rest of us are so I'm not sure what they'll make of it!

Shetland is a nice place to live most of the time but it's a complete pain when you want to go on holiday. Overnight ferry to Aberdeen, drive to Edinburgh, fly to Heathrow, stay overnight, fly to Venice next morning.

Where are you travelling from?

we are travelling form Leicestershire in the East Midlands 1 hour to London then a 2 hour flight to Venice. We arrive in Venice on Saturday so will have a few days to explore before joining the ship on Monday. Like everyone else has said Disney Cruise line is fabulous I have also cruised with other lines but nobody does a cruise like Disney, Are you a Celt I am a Welsh Celt and will be home in Cardiff on 15th March for the Rugby watching Wales play Scotland.
I am getting so excited for this cruise.

Are you a Celt I am a Welsh Celt and will be home in Cardiff on 15th March for the Rugby watching Wales play Scotland.
I am getting so excited for this cruise.

I'm from Shetland but my husband Dylan is Welsh, from Carmarthenshire. I love Cardiff. It's where we went to university. The Scotland/Wales games are always interesting in our house. My husband is shouting for Wales, and our son cheers on Scotland!

We are going on this cruise and so very excited!!!! Can't wait! My husband and I and our 15 yr old son and 12 yr old daughter!

Just a reminder - Here is the link to our Facebook group if anyone wants to join. If you send a request there, also send me a PM there or here or post on this thread and tell me you sent the request and tell me your first name, so that I can add you right away. We are just trying to be sure that everyone who is on the page is actually on our sailing.

Facebook Page

How is everyone making out with this winter weather? We have a fresh foot of snow here in eastern Pennsylvania with another 4-6 inches expected tonight. I'm a teacher so at least I don't have to go anywhere! I've been spending my snow day researching private water taxis from the Marco Polo airport in Venice to our hotel, Palazzo Guardi for our party of 9. I've also been looking at some of the port adventures. The Blue Grotto excursion in Valetta, Malta looks amazing. Has anyone ever done this before? Any suggestions for other port adventures for any of our stops? I hope everyone is faring well this winter! Only 5 months until we sail!

We are coming out of the deep freeze so snow no big deal for us, parts of the state got 5 more inches last night but hard to care since we finally got above zero degrees. In Malta our last visit I think we did the 3 cities excursion which was pretty nice, this time we are just going to walk around on our own. We have private tours booked in Rhodes, Athens and Ephesus, pretty close to wrapping up Crete.

How is everyone making out with this winter weather? We have a fresh foot of snow here in eastern Pennsylvania with another 4-6 inches expected tonight. I'm a teacher so at least I don't have to go anywhere! I've been spending my snow day researching private water taxis from the Marco Polo airport in Venice to our hotel, Palazzo Guardi for our party of 9. I've also been looking at some of the port adventures. The Blue Grotto excursion in Valetta, Malta looks amazing. Has anyone ever done this before? Any suggestions for other port adventures for any of our stops? I hope everyone is faring well this winter! Only 5 months until we sail!

The Blue Grotto excursion looks fabulous...it is highly rated on trip advisor. I have only booked one tour in Kusadasi/Ephesus. I need to get busy planning since we will be departing in 5 months from today! :wizard: Would appreciate any other feedback from others who have experienced these ports.

Hi and Happy Valentine's Day!

Me and my fiancé will be sailing with y'all!

This trip is supposed to be my big 25th birthday present. We started planning it last year as our first cruise ever BUT then a great VGT rate happened on a 4 night out of Barcelona. We loved it and booked this 12 night onboard :)

We're Swedish. We actually live as far north as Newfoundland in Canada and right now have no snow at all on the ground (thank you Gulf stream) but we're quite used to snow storms and months of winter. So my heart goes out to all of you who are struggling with the weather :hug:

On the 4 night cruise the only other Swede was the Food and Beverage Manager, who were delighter to stop by during dinner to chat in his native language :) He won't be there this time though, he's had a baby so he's moving back on land in Orlando :) Both my fiancé and I are fluent in English but it just feels special hearing your native language spoken in the midst of thousands speaking English and/or Spanish :)

We'll be flying into Venice three nights before and staying at a hotel called the Canaletto. Saw the suggestion about having dinner before the cruise and thought it was a good idea, but now we've decided to try out a kosher restaurant called Gam Gam that day. We don't require a kosher diet but read that it's a friendly, good and reasonably priced restaurant that we'd like to try. But we'll hopefully see you among the canals or on the ship! :)

And BTW, saw Frozen the other day and loved it. Was a little skeptical and worried it would be stereotypical and shallow but found it quite the opposite. So if you were wondering it got the seal-of-approval from two Nordics, at least ;)

Hi and Happy Valentine's Day!

Me and my fiancé will be sailing with y'all!

This trip is supposed to be my big 25th birthday present. We started planning it last year as our first cruise ever BUT then a great VGT rate happened on a 4 night out of Barcelona. We loved it and booked this 12 night onboard :)

We're Swedish. We actually live as far north as Newfoundland in Canada and right now have no snow at all on the ground (thank you Gulf stream) but we're quite used to snow storms and months of winter. So my heart goes out to all of you who are struggling with the weather :hug:

On the 4 night cruise the only other Swede was the Food and Beverage Manager, who were delighter to stop by during dinner to chat in his native language :) He won't be there this time though, he's had a baby so he's moving back on land in Orlando :) Both my fiancé and I are fluent in English but it just feels special hearing your native language spoken in the midst of thousands speaking English and/or Spanish :)

We'll be flying into Venice three nights before and staying at a hotel called the Canaletto. Saw the suggestion about having dinner before the cruise and thought it was a good idea, but now we've decided to try out a kosher restaurant called Gam Gam that day. We don't require a kosher diet but read that it's a friendly, good and reasonably priced restaurant that we'd like to try. But we'll hopefully see you among the canals or on the ship! :)

And BTW, saw Frozen the other day and loved it. Was a little skeptical and worried it would be stereotypical and shallow but found it quite the opposite. So if you were wondering it got the seal-of-approval from two Nordics, at least ;)

How exciting to sail with both of you! I am part Swedish!!! When you see me you will say, oh yes you are for sure....I don't speak Swedish though...tried taking Norwegian in college (they didn't offer Swedish) but missed one class and that was it. Practiced with my Dad as far as we could go..My Dad is from Minnesota and half his family is Swedish and some of them married Norwegians...

but I do speak Greek!! lol...

We will be in Venice for three nights before the cruise...

can't wait to meet you!! So much planning left to do....:rolleyes1

ok I am doing it....looking for travel insurance!!! Found out our new medical doesn't cover overseas!!! :sad:

Besides USAA what insurance company have you all used???

:thumbsup2
How exciting to sail with both of you! I am part Swedish!!! When you see me you will say, oh yes you are for sure....I don't speak Swedish though...tried taking Norwegian in college (they didn't offer Swedish) but missed one class and that was it. Practiced with my Dad as far as we could go..My Dad is from Minnesota and half his family is Swedish and some of them married Norwegians...

How funny is that, when I was little didn't know anyone looked any different, Minnesota was just about all Swede or Norwegian :hug: No so anymore, we are among the most diversified areas anywhere. And hey, if the Kensington ruin stone is truly a land claim, the Swedish farmer who found it on his land may own half of Manitoba and most of Minnesota

:surfweb:I have been looking at travel insurance and my head is spinning...:rotfl:

Then I remembered what "LoveToRun" said about USAA...even though I don't belong (have insurance through them) I have a log on!!! Since we qualify to join I was able to check out their insurance for travel and can actually purchase them!!!

The plan through them is about $30 less than the exact same plan with insuremytrip.com or squaremouth.com and $30.00 saving is good I think....

USAA offers 3 plans...

My question is how much do you list for your trip cost? Do you include hotels that we could cancel, car rental fees? I put just the cost of the cruise at first. But don't want to short change us. It's the medical part that I am concerned about.

We have never purchased insurance but now that our medical has changed we really will not have the coverage we had before.

Any suggestions and help is appreciated.... ::yes::

:surfweb:I have been looking at travel insurance and my head is spinning...:rotfl:

Then I remembered what "LoveToRun" said about USAA...even though I don't belong (have insurance through them) I have a log on!!! Since we qualify to join I was able to check out their insurance for travel and can actually purchase them!!!

The plan through them is about $30 less than the exact same plan with insuremytrip.com or squaremouth.com and $30.00 saving is good I think....

USAA offers 3 plans...

My question is how much do you list for your trip cost? Do you include hotels that we could cancel, car rental fees? I put just the cost of the cruise at first. But don't want to short change us. It's the medical part that I am concerned about.

We have never purchased insurance but now that our medical has changed we really will not have the coverage we had before.

Any suggestions and help is appreciated.... ::yes::

Hey there,

That is great you figured out you can purchase through USAA since you have log-in access, even though you don't use any of their services.

For us, we of course include the full prices of the cruise, plus plane ticket fees (even if you use miles, there are still taxes you have to pay for your tickets, so we use airline miles to fly to Europe, but I include the taxes I've paid in the total cost I use for the insurance quote). But, if you pay full fare for tickets, then I add in the total airline cost.

I also add in all my private excursion costs I have booked just in case the day we arrive to the port we are sick or who knows what, and we last minute can't do the excursion and also can't get a refund from the private company.

Also, if you are doing any Disney excursions, I'd add the total cost of those, too, because Disney won't refund you if you are sick and can't go on the excursion (unless you get a note from the ship doctor and the ship doctor agrees you are unable to do the excursion... but you have to be in pretty bad shape for this to happen. I know, because this happened to me when I very badly sprained my ankle (grade 3 sprain) on the Disney Magic a few years ago and ended up in the ship ER ... yah, no fun at all!! But, the doctor had Disney refund my excursion because he agreed there was no way I could walk to go on the excursion we had planned. But, on the other hand, my father-in-law once developed a bad sinus infection and he had a snorkeling Disney excursion planned, and he saw the ship doctor the morning he was to go on the excision, and the shop doctor agreed he had a bad sinus infection, but would not write a note to refund him for that excursion because the doctor claimed he could just stay out of the water, but still go on the boat for the excursion). So, that is a LONG way of saying, it's very rare Disney will refund your excursion of you are not well enough to go on the excursion, so that is why I add the Disney excursion cost to my trip insurance quote.

As for hotels, I add in just the first night's cost of all of our hotels, because MOST hotels will charge just one night's fee if you cancel past their cancellation deadline period. Also, I figure if our trip was delayed due to circumstances out of our control (weather, etc), and we are a day late getting to our destination, I will know we will be late, so that will give me time to call the hotel and adjust our dates we are staying without getting charged, but I just assume the hotel will still charge us one-night's fee if we cancel or change last minute. So, that is why I just add only 1-night's hotel cost into our total cost of insurance quote.

Also, any other things you have pre-paid (car rental, train tickets, pre-arranged private taxi's, etc), I add in all of those costs because it's likely they are non-refundable.

So, to sum it up, I would add to your quote any money you potentially could lose if you had to cancel very last minute or your flights were delayed and you made it to your destination a day late. Just read up on all the cancellation rules for your hotels and private excursions (if you have any booked) and that will help you know if you should include those in the quote price. :)

And, yes, for the medical part, if your medical insurance won't cover you out of the USA (or in Europe), then you would want to get a good medical plan with your trip insurance, including medivac, or medical transport.

Good luck!

Ah, Minnesota, our great settlement.. I haven't been there myself, yet, but every Swede knows about the great emigration in the 19th century and that most chose Minnesota. The guys of ABBA actually wrote a musical about it (based on books by another Swede, Vilhelm Moberg). And do you know the story of Paul Bunyan? The giant who created lakes in his footprints? Those kinds of stories explaining nature with trolls and giants are everywhere here (well, we don't really believe them any longer... :rolleyes1 )

I don't know of any relatives in Minnesota, so probably we aren't related. My great-great-grandfather, however, was sent to Alaska because he wasn't allowed to marry my great-great-grandmother. Glad those things don't happen anymore..

The written language between Swedish, Norwegian, Danish and Icelandish is really similar but we speak it totally different. We all have different melodies and some crucial words differ. So chances are, even if you did know Norwegian we would probably not understand each other :confused3 Let's stick to English :)

Greek on the other hand is great! I've studied French, Spanish and Latin so I understand most Latin languages but that does not help at all with Greek. I do know the alphabet and have a colleague who is from Athens so I will have to pick her brain about what not to miss there. Do you have any excursions planned? My fiancé loves the ship and will want to stay there a lot but we're definitely doing something in Athens and will at least get off in every country to be able to say we've been there :rolleyes1

I'm a total overplanner so Venice is already planned out. I think a 3 night pre-stay is just enough to see what needs to be seen. Where will you be staying? Our hotel is "2 min from Rialto bridge and 5 min from St Mark's" so hopefully we'll be able to walk most places or catch a vapretto.

Looking forward to seeing you and seeing if we'd recognize your Nordic looks :) Even though Sweden nowadays is pretty diversified my fiancé and I are both stereotypically blonde and blue-eyed but we're not that tall (5'10 and the imperial system, I think...). Who are you traveling with?

Hey there,

That is great you figured out you can purchase through USAA since you have log-in access, even though you don't use any of their services.

For us, we of course include the full prices of the cruise, plus plane ticket fees (even if you use miles, there are still taxes you have to pay for your tickets, so we use airline miles to fly to Europe, but I include the taxes I've paid in the total cost I use for the insurance quote). But, if you pay full fare for tickets, then I add in the total airline cost.

I also add in all my private excursion costs I have booked just in case the day we arrive to the port we are sick or who knows what, and we last minute can't do the excursion and also can't get a refund from the private company.

Also, if you are doing any Disney excursions, I'd add the total cost of those, too, because Disney won't refund you if you are sick and can't go on the excursion (unless you get a note from the ship doctor and the ship doctor agrees you are unable to do the excursion... but you have to be in pretty bad shape for this to happen. I know, because this happened to me when I very badly sprained my ankle (grade 3 sprain) on the Disney Magic a few years ago and ended up in the ship ER ... yah, no fun at all!! But, the doctor had Disney refund my excursion because he agreed there was no way I could walk to go on the excursion we had planned. But, on the other hand, my father-in-law once developed a bad sinus infection and he had a snorkeling Disney excursion planned, and he saw the ship doctor the morning he was to go on the excision, and the shop doctor agreed he had a bad sinus infection, but would not write a note to refund him for that excursion because the doctor claimed he could just stay out of the water, but still go on the boat for the excursion). So, that is a LONG way of saying, it's very rare Disney will refund your excursion of you are not well enough to go on the excursion, so that is why I add the Disney excursion cost to my trip insurance quote.

As for hotels, I add in just the first night's cost of all of our hotels, because MOST hotels will charge just one night's fee if you cancel past their cancellation deadline period. Also, I figure if our trip was delayed due to circumstances out of our control (weather, etc), and we are a day late getting to our destination, I will know we will be late, so that will give me time to call the hotel and adjust our dates we are staying without getting charged, but I just assume the hotel will still charge us one-night's fee if we cancel or change last minute. So, that is why I just add only 1-night's hotel cost into our total cost of insurance quote.

Also, any other things you have pre-paid (car rental, train tickets, pre-arranged private taxi's, etc), I add in all of those costs because it's likely they are non-refundable.

So, to sum it up, I would add to your quote any money you potentially could lose if you had to cancel very last minute or your flights were delayed and you made it to your destination a day late. Just read up on all the cancellation rules for your hotels and private excursions (if you have any booked) and that will help you know if you should include those in the quote price. :)

And, yes, for the medical part, if your medical insurance won't cover you out of the USA (or in Europe), then you would want to get a good medical plan with your trip insurance, including medivac, or medical transport.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info on the insurance...I will have to add some things into my total. My first total included everything. My second was just the cruise and the rates were: $685.00, $451.00 and $331.00 for 3 adults.

Does this sound right? It's expensive for sure...

but this time I think I want it. When we had Kaiser Insurance I just didn't worry.
My daughter went to Japan in high school on an exchange. They made me get travel insurance, which I did. After I read it I found out it didn't include sports. They reason she went was for martial arts..waste of money!!! No refund because I didn't notice it until it was too late. That is when I called Kaiser and they said she was covered if she was hurt there doing martial arts....
No more Kaiser though...now we have medical through the government because my husband is retired AF....Saving almost $700.00 a month in premiums.

I truly appreciate all your help in finding travel insurance....:worship:

Ah, Minnesota, our great settlement.. I haven't been there myself, yet, but every Swede knows about the great emigration in the 19th century and that most chose Minnesota. The guys of ABBA actually wrote a musical about it (based on books by another Swede, Vilhelm Moberg). And do you know the story of Paul Bunyan? The giant who created lakes in his footprints? Those kinds of stories explaining nature with trolls and giants are everywhere here (well, we don't really believe them any longer... :rolleyes1 )

I don't know of any relatives in Minnesota, so probably we aren't related. My great-great-grandfather, however, was sent to Alaska because he wasn't allowed to marry my great-great-grandmother. Glad those things don't happen anymore..

The written language between Swedish, Norwegian, Danish and Icelandish is really similar but we speak it totally different. We all have different melodies and some crucial words differ. So chances are, even if you did know Norwegian we would probably not understand each other :confused3 Let's stick to English :)

Greek on the other hand is great! I've studied French, Spanish and Latin so I understand most Latin languages but that does not help at all with Greek. I do know the alphabet and have a colleague who is from Athens so I will have to pick her brain about what not to miss there. Do you have any excursions planned? My fiancé loves the ship and will want to stay there a lot but we're definitely doing something in Athens and will at least get off in every country to be able to say we've been there :rolleyes1

I'm a total overplanner so Venice is already planned out. I think a 3 night pre-stay is just enough to see what needs to be seen. Where will you be staying? Our hotel is "2 min from Rialto bridge and 5 min from St Mark's" so hopefully we'll be able to walk most places or catch a vapretto.

Looking forward to seeing you and seeing if we'd recognize your Nordic looks :) Even though Sweden nowadays is pretty diversified my fiancé and I are both stereotypically blonde and blue-eyed but we're not that tall (5'10 and the imperial system, I think...). Who are you traveling with?

Blonde and blue eyed here too!!!::yes::
I'm traveling with my husband, the Greek, and our 24 year old daughter...
Still planning things out...trying to figure out travel insurance and which to get.
We are staying at the Boscolo Hotel in Venice before the cruise.

Have not figured out what we are doing on the islands. These are islands I have not been to...or our daughter either. We have been to many others. My husband has been to some of them...When we have gone to other Greek Islands we have always just done things on our own with no troubles. But when there is a ship full of people doing the same things it might be different...

As far as Sweden part goes my family is from Molnerud, Fryksande, Varmland. My 2nd great greandfather was Jon Olson but he changed his name to Johan Hedin when he arrived in Minnesota in 1881 with his wife Karin Jonsdotter....

Lot's of fun finding Olson's in Sweden!!!

We fly to Milan and drive to Lake Como and then on the Venice. Have the places to stay on the way also the car rental. But the car is so expensive we may keep looking for a better rate.

It will fun to meet you both!!!

Thanks for the info on the insurance...I will have to add some things into my total. My first total included everything. My second was just the cruise and the rates were: $685.00, $451.00 and $331.00 for 3 adults.

Does this sound right? It's expensive for sure...

but this time I think I want it. When we had Kaiser Insurance I just didn't worry.
My daughter went to Japan in high school on an exchange. They made me get travel insurance, which I did. After I read it I found out it didn't include sports. They reason she went was for martial arts..waste of money!!! No refund because I didn't notice it until it was too late. That is when I called Kaiser and they said she was covered if she was hurt there doing martial arts....
No more Kaiser though...now we have medical through the government because my husband is retired AF....Saving almost $700.00 a month in premiums.

I truly appreciate all your help in finding travel insurance....:worship:

I think those prices sound about right (for the USAA insurance) for 3 adults. Our kids are free for the insurance, so we are only paying for 2 adults, and I bought the lowest level of insurance (out of the 3 options) because our medical insurance covers us completely outside of the USA including medevac/transport, so I didn't need to get the more expensive one to get better medical coverage. That said, I included our cruise price (we have a veranda Cat 5A cabin), plus the other things I wrote above (1st night's hotel costs, taxes we paid for our airfare, since we are using miles, and all our private excursions we already have booked), and we are paying $300 for our trip insurance for all 4 of us (which is really just 2 adults... $150/pp). So, if you add in one more adult to what I put in for our quote, that would bring it up to $450, which is more than just your "cruise cost" lowest level of insurance quote you wrote up there, but our price includes more than just the cruise cost. So, I'm guessing if I only put in the cruise cost, it would have come out to about the same price as what you were quoted.

Yes, it is expensive, but better to be safe than sorry. We bought trip insurance last year for our Med cruise and our whole time in Europe (we did an extended trip last year), and we never had to use it (which is a GOOD thing because that means our trip was amazing! :) ), so at the end, it was money lost, if you do look at it that way, but honestly, just having that sense of security knowing we'd get our money back for the cruise or parts of our trip if the trip is delayed due to cancelled flights, weather, etc, or worst case, we had to cancel last minute due to unexpected circumstances, or just knowing if something goes wrong (lost luggage, tc. etc. etc.), we were just put at ease and didn't have any underlying stress before or during our trip thinking if anything goes wrong, we're out a LOT of money. So, for these reasons, the insurance was totally worth the money, even knowing it might be money just thrown away.

And, yes, for the medical insurance, it's so worth it! My husband broke his finger on our Med trip last summer while we were in Barcelona (we don't seem to have the best luck with injuries and vacations... lol!), and like I said, our medical insurance covers us outside the USA, but he had to go to a hospital in Barcelona to get an xray and then get a splint on his finger... and I can't remember the total cost in Euros, but it was expensive!! Our medical insurance reimbursed us, but for someone who doesn't have medical insurance that covers outside the USA (or their country), and doesn't buy trip insurance with medical coverage, things like just a broken finger can be a lot of money out of pocket. So, it really is worth it (and you just roll with the punches with things go wrong... lol! My husband was still able to fully enjoy the trip despite his finger). :thumbsup2

I guess the way we looked at it, is in the big scheme of things, when you are spending the kind of money you need to spend to do this Med cruise with Disney, spending a few hundred dollars extra on insurance for peace of mind isn't that much (ie, a small percentage of the total cost of our trip).

denise,

Half of our phone book is Olson or Olsen, the rest are Johnson, Peterson (sen), and other "quest", "berg" or "gren" ending. My Norwegian roots gave us "stead" instead of the usual "stad" but tall light skin just like the rest. If not for my mother's pure Irish roots probably would be afraid to come out on a sunny day after one of our long winters. :laughing: Our daughter is 23 so it is nice to see there are others in same age range.

Celina,
Our favorite ship is the Wonder but with the Magic being her twin enjoyed it almost as much. We are hoping that we will enjoy the new renovation as much as we do the original. :goodvibes We are actually thinking of doing a quick 4 day out of Miami next month just to get a feel, not to mention get out of the cold :cloud9:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter