• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

6/29/15 Magic to Norway & Iceland

HI!!!! (I'm writing this from my desk in Tampa)

Yup, I live in Tampa, but work in Celebration, so there'll be a move at some point......

I'll be traveling with Scott (ssanders79 and The DCL blog lol), and our daughter Isabelle who will be 8. We'll be celebrating our 10th anniversary.

We planned (& booked yesterday) Alaska at an amazing price, but we changed our minds today. Not happy about the stateroom, but at least we are on the ship!

It will be our 16th DCL cruise and Isabelle's 15th.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

For those doing the B2B with the July 10 Baltics sailing, there is now a cruise meets thread for our Baltics cruise:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51052711

Definitely not as active as this one. Looks like DCL struck a gold mine with this Iceland/Norway/Faroe Islands itinerary. For me, I still don't think it has really sunk in that we will be traveling to these amazing places next summer!

Ok, sweater shopping will be on my list, because the sweater I saw at Epcot was around $500, and if I am spending that much on a sweater, then I am going to get it from the source!

They really are made in Norway, right? Not in China? I really feel badly when I want to buy something that I think is local and then the little tag on the bottom says, "Made in China". When I vacation, I seem inclined to do a bit of supporting of the local economy, so I like to make my spending count! :thumbsup2

I figure I saved money anyway, so I shall justify any spending this way. We were looking at booking a concierge class room, but 3 hours after the phone lines first were available on opening day, they were already gone. Good thing, because looking at the prices, there is no way I could justify it. I mean, I love concierge, but I can't see spending the price of a new car to be in it, at least not for my family.

For those that live out there or have been there before, how is the temperature? Will we be able to leave the winter coats at home (did Alaska a few years ago, and definitely needed the coats on the water)? Those baggage fees are going to be killer, as I don't pack lightly, no matter how hard I try, and wearing my winter coat through Chicago in June is just not going to be comfortable.
:)

Yes, you find authentic Norwegian wool sweaters there. And you will pay alot, they use very fine yarn and its complex, but worth the money. We also chickened out of a suite. sticker shock got us to.
As Floridians, we'll have a lot of winter stuff, but we'll have to buy it first

Which means constant twilight, 24 hours.

That's just going to be weird....:cool2:

Yup, I live in Tampa, but work in Celebration, so there'll be a move at some point......

I'll be traveling with Scott (ssanders79 and The DCL blog lol), and our daughter Isabelle who will be 8.

We'll be celebrating our 10th anniversary, which we planned (& booked yesterday) Alaska but we changed our minds. Not happy about stateroom but at least we are on the ship!

We have a friend who works for the web department for disney in celebration, he did the drive from riverview for awhile too. They eventually moved to Lakeland. Jeff (Tigfanjeff) commutes twice a month to drive monorails up there....

We have a friend who works for the web department for disney in celebration, he did the drive from riverview for awhile too. They eventually moved to Lakeland. Jeff (Tigfanjeff) commutes twice a month to drive monorails up there....

72 miles each way M-Th; it's not bad. I work for Celebration Health, not Disney. It's sorta Disney lol....... Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Ok, sweater shopping will be on my list, because the sweater I saw at Epcot was around $500, and if I am spending that much on a sweater, then I am going to get it from the source!

They really are made in Norway, right? Not in China? I really feel badly when I want to buy something that I think is local and then the little tag on the bottom says, "Made in China". When I vacation, I seem inclined to do a bit of supporting of the local economy, so I like to make my spending count! :thumbsup2

I figure I saved money anyway, so I shall justify any spending this way. We were looking at booking a concierge class room, but 3 hours after the phone lines first were available on opening day, they were already gone. Good thing, because looking at the prices, there is no way I could justify it. I mean, I love concierge, but I can't see spending the price of a new car to be in it, at least not for my family.

For those that live out there or have been there before, how is the temperature? Will we be able to leave the winter coats at home (did Alaska a few years ago, and definitely needed the coats on the water)? Those baggage fees are going to be killer, as I don't pack lightly, no matter how hard I try, and wearing my winter coat through Chicago in June is just not going to be comfortable.

Wow, I really do start planning early!:lmao:

Fundulidae, I am sorry for you; that would make me feel awful, too. It certainly does put a damper on the excitement, but hopefully as time goes on the excitement will build and lessen the pain of the cost? One can hope! :)

Thanks! The damper is already lifting as I read everyone's posts and look more at the ports we will get to see. Money can be replaced, but this experience can't be.

We will likely be flying out of Chicago as well. We are from St. Louis, but flight prices are considerably better if we make the 4-4.5 hour trek up north.

Am hoping I can manage to curtail my packing for this one so that we don't have an exorbitant amount of baggage fees.

I'm guessing that since this is a longer cruise, it will have the standard formal and semi-formal nights?

We will an 8 and 10y old with us! Good to see other kids will be on board too!
Anyone know if we'll be able to see Northern Lights?

With all this talk about fabulous Norway sweaters, I have officially started my shopping list for this cruise :)

FYI for sports fans:

Wimbledon ends on July 12 in 2015, so it may be an option for post cruise touring. It is within walking distance of a tube stop. We watched the mens final from the hill outside the stadium a couple years ago.

Also the British F1 stop may or may not be an option depending on scheduling in 2015. It is on the schedule for 7/6/14 this year. :drive:

Thanks for the tip about Wimbledon. :thumbsup2

Here's my favourite weather site, it's new weatherspark. It looks like the average high in Akureyri (how do you pronounce that?) for July 4 is 14 degrees Celsius (that's about 56 Fahrenheit) and the average low is about 7 Celsius (or 45). Brrrr.

I have a question regarding language, as I have not been to these places before and am not sure what is the best way to speak while there.

I understand that most of the people in all of these ports will also speak some English, as they start learning languages much younger than the students here in the States. However, I don't wish to assume that English is spoken by everyone, so I was wondering if it is best to learn a few words in Norwegian and Icelandic?

In Copenhagen, I figure I can get by with some German, as there is a bit of similarity in the languages, I will just need to brush up on it. Will I find that to be the case in the other ports? Probably best to download a language app from Itunes I suppose.

I also speak a bit of French and Russian, if anyone thinks that will help, I can brush up on those too. Being Hungarian, I am fluent in that, but I highly doubt that will get me anywhere in the Nordic countries!

Actually, I am most worried about getting along in England, what with all those strange words like "bonny" and "snog". And the accents, oh my, England will be a challenge! ;)

Just kidding, of course! My daughter and I are actually really looking forward to being surrounded by those fantastic English accents! My husband is looking forward to the Norwegian women. As long as my daughter and I get to drool in England, he can drool in Norway! :thumbsup2

Dropped Alaska and booked this today instead. Missed out on platinum pricing, but that's ok.

Just wanted to say hi!

So fun that we will get to cruise with you guys. I read your husband's blog all the time. He was a great source for information with this cruise!

For those doing the B2B with the July 10 Baltics sailing, there is now a cruise meets thread for our Baltics cruise:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51052711

Definitely not as active as this one. Looks like DCL struck a gold mine with this Iceland/Norway/Faroe Islands itinerary. For me, I still don't think it has really sunk in that we will be traveling to these amazing places next summer!

Too funny, Calfan. I almost posted a thread last night asking whether people thought there were any DCL execs popping the champagne last night. I suspect they are *thrilled* with the popularity of this cruise. I suspect it will be like the inaugural Hawaii cruise I read about a couple years back where it was filled with repeat cruisers. I think these type of itineraries really appeal to the repeat cruisers who've been there done that with so many of the other places.

abdmom, thanks for the weather link! So looks like we are packing like we did for Alaska!

Totally forgot about the formal wear. Well, there goes another suitcase. At least I don't need to bring a suitcase for the snorkel gear!

Good to hear about the sweaters. I will have to make sure I never wear it whilst cleaning. I always seem to bleach my nicest shirts.:sad2:

Fundulidae, how far is Indianapolis? I would think that might be closer to you, as my daughter lives in IN and uses that airport and likes it, but I don't know if the prices are any different than from Chicago. I am not looking forward to those long flights.

We've expand the family a bit (I'm certain Jeff was cloned in our oldest son)...
speaking of Jeff, if there is interest, I am certain I can get him to create a website for this cruise. For the '10 WBPC cruise he made a pretty interactive one, complete with deckplans were everyone is. I'll nudge him over to this thread....

I remember he did one for the '05 too. I remember we posted pics to it.

abdmom, thanks for the weather link! So looks like we are packing like we did for Alaska!

Totally forgot about the formal wear. Well, there goes another suitcase. At least I don't need to bring a suitcase for the snorkel gear!

Good to hear about the sweaters. I will have to make sure I never wear it whilst cleaning. I always seem to bleach my nicest shirts.:sad2:

Fundulidae, how far is Indianapolis? I would think that might be closer to you, as my daughter lives in IN and uses that airport and likes it, but I don't know if the prices are any different than from Chicago. I am not looking forward to those long flights.

We are pretty much 4 hours from Chicago, Indy, Nashville & Memphis - and only 30 minutes from St. Louis. I didn't look at Indy prices. Chicago was by far the best, beating out StL by hundreds of dollars per person. Memphis was at least as expensive as StL. Nashville had a great outgoing rate, but coming back, it was as high as StL.

Thanks for the tip on checking Indy - we drive there at least once a year, so I'm not sure why I didn't think about using that airport.

I am with everyone and looking at sweaters. Plus I have being salivating on buying a piece of Flora Danica this is royal Copenhagen China for years just might bite the bullet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter