6/12/15-6/20/15 Germany Trip Report

My sleep schedule is still off...it's 1 am here, and I'm awake. So, I figured I'd write a few words about dinner last night before we hit the road and are wifi-less.

Dinner was at the Golden Sheep, a restaurant/Biergarten on the pedestrian strasse. The guides had taken our meal orders the night before, offering us two appetizers, three entrees, and two desserts from which to choose. There was also a separate kid's menu, but JT chose from the adult options.

The restaurant is lovely and quaint, with a very German-rustic decor...lots of carved furniture and wall art, heavy doors, etc. We walked through most of it to get our private room, and it was quite crowded. There were several other large groups of diners.

One thing I will say about German food is that it is very simple and hearty. The words gourmet, German, and cuisine are not ones that I would be inclined to put together in a sentence. With that said, we are definitely NOT going hungry. For an appetizer, I had a salad with a bacon and goat cheese medallion and JT had potato soup (which was not creamy like in the U.S., but more of a broth). The entree choices included a chicken dish, a pasta dish (the vegetarian option), and what I guess was an "ethnic" dish featuring some sort of pork stomach sausage.

I had the chicken, which came with a mushroom wine sauce, zucchini, and potato croquettes (essentially fried mashed potato tots), and JT had the pasta, which was topped with a mushroom sauce. The pasta was nothing to write home about (although, JT's bowl was pretty much licked clean), and since my portion was more than enough, I shared with him. Beer and wine were complimentary. I had both - a beer/lemonade mix, which was very refreshing, and some sort of German red wine that was a blend of dry and sweet.

Dessert consisted of chocolate ice cream for me and an orange pie/cake slice with vanilla ice cream, caramel sauce, and fruit for JT. Both were very good. I don't eat a lot of ice cream in the U.S., in part because nothing in the U.S. even comes close to the ice cream you get over here. It's just so creamy and full of intense flavor! Needless to say, my chocolate ice cream was very tasty!

Dinner took a while. We left the hotel and 530 and didn't get back until almost 9. While we waited for our entree, the guides and restaurant staff put together a little presentation/musical demonstration. One of the kids on our trip has had some significant medical/health problems. He was asked to give a demonstration of a musical instrument - a sort of wind-up organ that plays different German tunes. Someone from the restaurant guided him/led the presentation. At the end of the demo, he received a diploma for music (Heidelberg is home to the oldest German university), and the guides gave him a card and special pin for his lanyard. It was a very sweet gesture by the guides, and the family was completely surprised.

The rest of the group also received another pin, this one featuring an image of Goofy in a suit of armor and featuring the words "Heidelberg Haunts". I'll take a picture of a lanyard with all of the pins and post it once we receive the last one.

FYI - the Crowne Plaza is the least favorite of the hotels on this trip. Just WAIT until you get to the Kempinski in Munich!!! :-). Your next hotel is the castle - very different experience. Each room is different. The hotel in Rothenberg is very quaint. I loved the staircase and the breakfast buffet there has a waffle iron & champagne. :-)

But the Kempinski is just amazing. Wish we could have been there an entire week! We are staying at a Kempinski and a Ritz Carlton on our Central Europe ABD next week. Can't wait!

TXTransplant, enjoying your trip report so far and looking forward to more.

SingingMom, you will love the Kempinski in Berchtesgaden. It was an Intercontinental when we were there last summer, but I doubt much has changed. Amazing setting. Loved the waffle bar at the breakfast buffet, complete with various sauces.

We had another great day! We left Heidelberg at 830 and had about a two-hour drive to Alsfeld. We were greeted by a guide who showed us around this quintessential story book village. We met the Brothers Grimm and saw a skit of Little Red Riding Hood. It was all very cute and the kids loved it. After the skit, we had a picnic lunch, and then we had about two hours to walk around on our own.

Alsfeld has an open air market on Sundays. When we arrived, only a few vendors had set up shop, but by the time we finished, there were people everywhere. Vendors sell everything from food to (what appeared to be) handmade crafts. Cafes and permanent shops along the square are also open.

As a snack, JT has something called spaghetti ice. It's basically vanilla gelato put through a pasta machine, and then the gelato is topped with strawberry sauce that looks like spaghetti sauce. They have a couple of different versions (including a lasagna one). It's very cute and JT said it was delicious (I didn't have any).

We left Alsfed about 230 and traveled to the town of Waldeck and Schloss Waldeck. We were greeted at the bus by a princess who guided us up a pretty steep hill to the castle gates. A guard there (in chain mail) let us in and they gave us a short history of the castle in the courtyard. We also got to enjoy the spectacular view of Lake Edersee and get some photos. After about maybe 30 minutes, we were given access to our rooms.

This hotel is exactly what I was expecting...luxury accommodations in a real castle. Every room is different, and they are lovely. We were assigned room 502, which has French doors that lead to a small balcony. I don't think anyone else in our group was assigned to a room with a balcony, but most (if not all) of us have windows and views of the courtyard and lake. This accommodation is absolutely everything I would expect a stay in a fairytale castle to be. The room was warm when we arrived (no A/C), but I am already looking forward to sleeping with the balcony doors open. I have pictures and will post later...the wifi here only works in the restaurant and not in our rooms. There just isn't enough time tonight for the song and dance required to post pictures.

Before dinner, we visited the torture museum at the hotel. The castle was used as a prison, and it has a very dark history. Various forms of torture were practiced here well into the 19th century. There are some pretty graphic displays of the various torture devices, and you can borrow a hand-held listening device that describes each of the exhibits. I thought it was both fascinating and creepy. You also get to explore some of the nooks and crannies of the castle in this museum, which is pretty unique.

We had dinner and the kids also had movie night. We were given the choice of two appetizers, four or five entrees, and everyone got the same dessert. JT and I both had the roast beef and egg noodles, and it was very good. Dessert was ice cream with fruit compote. I just cannot get enough of the fruit desserts here. I don't know what they do to the strawberries over here, but they are unbelievably delicious and beautiful. We had some at lunch that were melt-in-your-mouth sweet and so glossy, I thought they had been glazed (they had not). Wine/beer was not included tonight, but another mom and I shared three small carafes of wine (each carafe poured two glasses) all for only 15 euros (for my share).

Tomorrow is biking and a boat ride on/around the lake. I do have some great pictures from today that I will post once we have better wifi access.

Last edited:
I'm reliving our trip two summers ago! We choose the boat ride - and really loved the lunch afterwards along the lake! Archery was a lot of fun, too! That walk up the hill to the castle is a steep one, isn't it? :-)

All packed for Central Europe ABD! We leave Tuesday!

HI TXTransplant, thank you so much for your posts, we are leaving for Germany in 2 weeks, we have 2 weeks on our own and ABD for our 3rd week and reading your posts my wife, kids, and myself are getting really excited.
can't wait to see pictures

TXTransplant, Glad to hear that you are having such a wonderful time. We love the spaghetti ice cream also. The castle was amazing and when we stayed there we had a two story room with a loft sleeping bedroom. What a view of the lake huh? We walked to the small town and bought ourselves a wonderful local food and wine dinner and took it back to our room. I think Germany is one of the better venues ABD offers. Thanks for letting me re-live some wonderful memories. Hope you get "Michael".....LOL....Ronalsnelson as Nike says "Just Do IT' and no worries.....If it is OK by ABD than "all systems are GO'...

Hi TXTransplant, what is the weather like over there while on your trip?

It's been pretty warm. I've been wearing short sleeves and cropped pants. My son has been wearing short sleeves and shorts. It's cool in the morning and gets cool very fast in the evening, before the sun goes down. Yesterday the sun was shining...it was probably in the high 70s or low 80s. I was warm but not sweating profusely like I would be in Houston. I suspect this morning we will need a light jacket for our bike ride. When the sun is behind the clouds it can be chilly. No rain, yet.

Looks beautiful. We left Houston yesterday. It was miserably hot and humid already. Nice and cool here in Denmark!

Alfeld looks very pretty. Do they still do lunch in that building (2nd picture down)?

Looks beautiful. We left Houston yesterday. It was miserably hot and humid already. Nice and cool here in Denmark!

Alfeld looks very pretty. Do they still do lunch in that building (2nd picture down)?

I'm not sure if they have meals in that building or not. We did not eat there. We had a picnic lunch outside.

Today we went bike riding around lake Edersee and then took a ferry across the lake to a very cute restaurant where we had lunch. The lunch was sort of American style BBQ. We had chicken, pork (I think), and bratwurst, corn, fruit, salad, grilled veggies, and several desserts (no beer or wine). The lunch was delicious. After lunch, we had an archery lesson. Right now we are waiting on beer tasting and a hike around the castle. I'll post a few pics later. We are on our own for dinner, but we ate a lot at breakfast and lunch. We are also supposed to have snacks at the beer tasting. So, I don't really feel like we need three meals today. You definitely won't go hungry on the days there aren't three "official" meals.

As a side note, the bike ride was somewhat strenuous. The area around the lake is hilly, and there were several places where some of us had to walk with our bikes because we did not have enough momentum to get up the hill. The bikes are also mountain-style, which was quite different (and a little uncomfortable) for someone used to riding a cruiser. But the ride was a lot of fun and very scenic.

Last edited:
Oh, and it's been chilly today. I had on a fleece jacket all morning. The sun didn't come out until after lunch time. It feels great when the sun is shining (probably high 60s or low 70s), but I was cold when the sun was behind the clouds.

It's been pretty warm. I've been wearing short sleeves and cropped pants. My son has been wearing short sleeves and shorts. It's cool in the morning and gets cool very fast in the evening, before the sun goes down. Yesterday the sun was shining...it was probably in the high 70s or low 80s. I was warm but not sweating profusely like I would be in Houston. I suspect this morning we will need a light jacket for our bike ride. When the sun is behind the clouds it can be chilly. No rain, yet.
That is great news, i am just curious as I have only packed 2 pairs of Jeans and 2 Light weighted pants as i am a shorts kind of guy. we live in Calgary Alberta so i wear shorts up until 5 degree C ha ha

your pictures are awesome, I want to leave Now as i am getting really excited. thanks again for you post TXTransplant keep them coming your doing an amazing job.

Some photos from the bike and boat ride, plus a trip on the original Disney Skyway. We also did beer tasting and took a short hike (to get to the skyway station). I'm a little sad to be leaving this location...I could easily spend another few days here

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

They used to have lunch inside that building according to a previous trip report. Just curious.

Do you know if they had an alternative activity during the bike riding?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter